Tragedy in Chiang Mai as six year old shoots elder sister dead with dad's gun

webfact

3 hours ago, Mitker said:

Would be good to keep this topic about Thailand without - again - sliding into US regulations, rightly or wrongly

Looks like there's enough to be discussed as why this happened here and now

Well it happened due to parents carelessness and a observant curious child. Yes gun lock boxes are the norm elsewhere here not so much. Its a tragedy with lots of blame to go around. 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, roo860 said:

A regular occurance in the USA?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

No...not so much...the incidents get a lot of publicity there, but they are not common at all...data analyses actually indicate that illegal guns in the USA kill others most often...kids rarely kill each other...it is still tragic nonetheless...

No...not so much...the incidents get a lot of publicity there, but they are not common at all...data analyses actually indicate that illegal guns in the USA kill others most often...kids rarely kill each other...it is still tragic nonetheless...

Cheers for the reply, it's good to see some posters can post without resorting to silly name calling when they can't think of a reply.

An inflammatory post has been removed, the reply has been removed as well. 

This topic is about an incident in Chiang Mai, Thailand it is not about gun laws in the USA or gun related incidents in the USA.  Any more posts of this nature will be removed without notice. 

4 hours ago, lifeincnx said:

Not sure what your point is but, per capita, Thailand has more deaths from firearms than the U.S.

Are you trying to excuse USA's shooting incidences? I think the poster said 'common in the USA'. Is this correct? I think so.

3 hours ago, Tracyb said:

Sad but frequent story.  Why do we even need guns?

Assuming this is a serious question, let me explain:

There are certain persons who seek to do harm against other people. Usually, this is due to such reasons as seeking personal gain at someone else's expense, lust, or simply sadistic behavior. Banning guns will not change that.

Unfortunately not everyone is as brave, as tough and as skillful in unarmed self defense as all of those anti-firearm lobby hypocrites. Some of us are elderly, some of us have physical disabilities and some of us will find ourselves simply outnumbered by criminals taking advantage of us at vunerable times.  The firearm does nothing more than give the owner a chance to protect their own lives. It's a chance. Not a 100% guarantee. But your right to life is a basic human right. Taking away your right to protect your life because of what someone else, who you never met, did makes no sense. Firearms are the equalizer.

And if you still don't believe me, ask yourself......if you ever find your self in a life threatening situation, then who you going to call? It's going to be to a man (or woman) with a gun to come to your help.    

46 minutes ago, hdkane said:

Yes the embodiment of Charles Heston lives on. I wonder if they buried  him clutching one?

4 hours ago, roo860 said:

It's quite common mate for posters to compare what happens here to what goes on in other countries.emoji106.png

I do agree with you.

However, the drift is systematic and at the end leave little room for discussing the origin of the killings here. Causes and context are significantly different (even if, sure, some aspects are universal).

The US situation is worth a specific discussion and should not impede the present topic: gun killings in Thailand and the way the problem evolves

5 hours ago, Mitker said:

Would be good to keep this topic about Thailand without - again - sliding into US regulations, rightly or wrongly

Looks like there's enough to be discussed as why this happened here and now

Doesn't it occur to you that there's a reason why people often compare local regulations or events or habits with what happens in the US ? Like it or not the US are, for many things, still the leading country in the world, and their stance on many issues, including of course the possession of firearms, is highly influential.

A discussion Forum is for discussing, and discussing very often includes comparing. If you don't like the posts that do it, then don't read them, but why the patronizing attitude about other people's opinions and comments ?

6 hours ago, ThaiTrav said:

Surely the child can't be held liable???? I would think the parents be answerable as to why a loaded weapon be left in reach of a minor .Never ceases to amaze me the level of care and nurture this country adopts to their minors . I realize a lot of families are cash strapped , hence the reason they let their school child drive home unlicensed on motorbikes but without helmets and 4-6 on one bike "on these crazy streets" WoW! ... Stupid is not a big enough word!

I don't think it will ever change one thing for sure if your child can make it into adulthood you can consider it very lucky . Guess like China when the population is so high do the deaths really matter ? If you don't get killed from an accident of some kind , or poisoned from pollutants and waste, suicide is the other preferred option ......personally found Thailand best get in holiday see experience then get out.

'Surely the child can't be held liable???? I would think the parents be answerable as to why a loaded weapon be left in reach of a minor' I think that was the essence of what was said.

5 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

Not an argumentative comment, genuine curiosity. Does this really happen a lot in the US? I know the US has this (in my opinion) crazy and outdated law on gun ownership but I always thought that the storage of guns in the home was strictly adhered to, in other words no loaded gun stored at home.

It's an unbelievable scenario when someone so young gets killed by another child in a stupid, pointless and completely avoidable accident. I do wonder how it will effect the young boy because he is old enough to remember at 6 years old.

My last point, are there no laws on gun ownership in Thailand? Do you need a permit? Does the gun have to be registered?

u do what u want that is usa....

3 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Gazzpa, I understand that what happens in the USA is far more interesting, entertaining and enlightening than what happens in Thailand.

However, the news article is about Thailand, lets discuss that.   :thumbsup:

You could have probably answered my question in less words then politely telling me to bog off.

12 minutes ago, free123 said:

u do what u want that is usa....

Not sure that's accurate, although it may feel that way sometimes.

I wonder what the laws are here and how they compare. I am guessing there must be some level of control but no idea how it is enforced or effectively policed.

For example if the gun this man had in his home was in fact an illegal firearm he should be in very serious trouble. I know he did not intentionally mean to harm his kids i am sure but it happened ally he same.

2 hours ago, Grubster said:

Well since Righty brought it up, I will have to argue that many times more often a person dies from the misuse of a gun, than the rare incidence when a gun is successfully used in self defense. I am not a lefty but there is a definite gun problem and I don't know the answer. I think the gun lovers should try hard to find some answers before their worst nightmare happens [ guns illegal ]. I don't understand why the NRA is so hard on regulations that could ensure that law abiding people that have guns know how to handle them, and that known criminals can't buy one without the seller being a criminal. I think it should be legal but hard to buy a gun. Back ground checks, Psychiatric evaluations, proof of gun safe in home, illegal to own gun that is not registered, gun safety training, etc.

Cant ever subscribe to any civilian owning a gun. It just doesn't make sense at all to me. The self defence, defending the home and all that is just nonsense. Guns don't belong anywhere except in the hands of a soldier or a legitimate hunter. They certainly don't belong in a family home.

This poor girl is dead for no other reason then this guy owned a gun and stored it in his home. Kids play, they get into everything and they will stumble across things. 

I have never owned, fired or even seen a gun in someones home except that of a farmer for legitimate reasons. I will be happy if it stays that way.

1 hour ago, Yann55 said:

Doesn't it occur to you that there's a reason why people often compare local regulations or events or habits with what happens in the US ? Like it or not the US are, for many things, still the leading country in the world, and their stance on many issues, including of course the possession of firearms, is highly influential.

A discussion Forum is for discussing, and discussing very often includes comparing. If you don't like the posts that do it, then don't read them, but why the patronizing attitude about other people's opinions and comments ?

My answer in the post right above yours

Nothing to do with patronizing

8 hours ago, ThaiTrav said:

Surely the child can't be held liable???? I would think the parents be answerable as to why a loaded weapon be left in reach of a minor .Never ceases to amaze me the level of care and nurture this country adopts to their minors . I realize a lot of families are cash strapped , hence the reason they let their school child drive home unlicensed on motorbikes but without helmets and 4-6 on one bike "on these crazy streets" WoW! ... Stupid is not a big enough word!

I don't think it will ever change one thing for sure if your child can make it into adulthood you can consider it very lucky . Guess like China when the population is so high do the deaths really matter ? If you don't get killed from an accident of some kind , or poisoned from pollutants and waste, suicide is the other preferred option ......personally found Thailand best get in holiday see experience then get out.

Very insensitive comment considering a young child lost her life and I don't see the point in dragging China into this topic.

8 hours ago, arrowsdawdle said:

Until immaturity and face-saving are eradicated, problems will persist. It is a cultural issue, not a legal one. That said, accountability is another cultural issue needing attention, further to the immaturity is situational awareness...totally lacking in the local culture. Situational awareness and accountability go a long way toward the prevention of tragedies such as this.

No, I disagree. I think it's a law enforcement issue. I also think your post is a way for you to Thai bash. You've just called an entire people, ignorant of situational awareness, immature, needing attention, and unaware of accountability. I believe a lack of law enforcement is the main problem.

11 hours ago, Ovaltine said:

GAZZPA, 

I lived in the US as a citizen for 57 years. I was also a school counselor, a Red Cross disaster worker, and a public health researcher/writer. Yes, this tragedy occurs often in the US--so much so that it's just another fact of life there. 

Really?  Nonsense.  Provide some reputable statistics for this statement.  

I'll give you a hint, look to the UCR.

Archived