Tragedy in Chiang Mai as six year old shoots elder sister dead with dad's gun

webfact

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tragic.  Father and wife have got to be devastated, not to mention the 6 year old, who'll live with this the rest of her life.

-----

I was 10 years old when I "discovered" my Dad's guns (all long guns, no pistols) hidden in the back of the spare bedroom closet.  I knew it was taboo, but I couldn't help it, and messed with them several times when I was the only one home; no idea what I was doing, whether they were loaded or not (they weren't and found out later there was no ammo in the house).  Eventually, he discovered what I'd been up to.  I could hear him in the spare room banging around in the closet one day, muttering angrily to himself, I knew I was busted.

About 20 minutes later, he called me out to the living room, I thought sure I was in for Class 1 thrashing, but he'd laid all 3 weapons out on the carpet and one by one, taught me about them, how to hold them, how they functioned, let me handle them until I was satisfied, then forbade me from messing around with them on my own anymore.  And I didn't. 

His next weekend day off, he took me to the nearby mountains and taught me weapons handling and shooting safety issues, and we fired the lightest of the 3 - a .22 magnum bolt action rifle with a 4x scope.   The taboo fascination and ignorance gap was filled with knowledge, and a healthy respect for the dangerous potential to me and others if handled/used improperly.

7 hours ago, nuananddon said:

The flawed thinking belongs to you. Correct me if. I'm wrong, the country of Switzerland requires that firearms be kept in the home by all adult males and that they be trained and qualified for marksmanship annually. If there's a gun in every household where's all tragic accidents. I'm not sure the percentage of households in the USA but I would guess it's not as high as Switzerland. It's the human factor!

Your wrong i'm afraid so I will correct you, Switzerland doesn't require all adult males keep a firearm at home it is actually part of military service. I will quote below a BBC article on it

All healthy Swiss men aged between 18 and 34 are obliged to do military service and all are issued with assault rifles or pistols which they are supposed to keep at home.

Twenty years ago the Swiss militia was a sizeable force of around 600,000 soldiers. Today it is only a third of that size but until recently most former soldiers used to keep their guns after they had completed their military duties, leading to lots of weapons being stored in the attics or cupboards of private Swiss households.

In 2006, the champion Swiss skier Corrinne Rey-Bellet and her brother were murdered by Corinne's estranged husband, who shot them with his old militia rifle before killing himself.

Since that incident, gun laws concerning army weapons have tightened. Although it is still possible for a former soldier to buy his firearm after he finishes military service, he must provide a justification for keeping the weapon and apply for a permit.

You go on to say if there is a gun in every household where's all the tragic accidents, your not sure of the percentage of gun ownership  but you assume Switzerland is higher so I have a little graph from the same article below to correct you as your wrong again. As you can see the US has almost twice as many civilians with firearms.

Gun ownership in selected countries

I know it is a waste of time arguing with a lot of Americans on gun law and gun restrictions, but we are not going to move on in this world when all we are doing is killing each other often over very little and we are allowing these tragic accidents to happen because of the love of firearms. Whether firearms are legal or not it doesn't change the fact that they kill people and there are a lot of people out there with mental health issues that are armed and that is worrying, in fact our minds can be destabilised very easily by many things personal tragedy, jealousy and many other things can change a rational person into an irrational person. Guns don't save anything they kill things.

1 minute ago, zd1 said:

Your wrong i'm afraid so I will correct you, Switzerland doesn't require all adult males keep a firearm at home it is actually part of military service. I will quote below a BBC article on it

All healthy Swiss men aged between 18 and 34 are obliged to do military service and all are issued with assault rifles or pistols which they are supposed to keep at home.

Twenty years ago the Swiss militia was a sizeable force of around 600,000 soldiers. Today it is only a third of that size but until recently most former soldiers used to keep their guns after they had completed their military duties, leading to lots of weapons being stored in the attics or cupboards of private Swiss households.

In 2006, the champion Swiss skier Corrinne Rey-Bellet and her brother were murdered by Corinne's estranged husband, who shot them with his old militia rifle before killing himself.

Since that incident, gun laws concerning army weapons have tightened. Although it is still possible for a former soldier to buy his firearm after he finishes military service, he must provide a justification for keeping the weapon and apply for a permit.

You go on to say if there is a gun in every household where's all the tragic accidents, your not sure of the percentage of gun ownership  but you assume Switzerland is higher so I have a little graph from the same article below to correct you as your wrong again. As you can see the US has almost twice as many civilians with firearms.

I know it is a waste of time arguing with a lot of Americans on gun law and gun restrictions, but we are not going to move on in this world when all we are doing is killing each other often over very little and we are allowing these tragic accidents to happen because of the love of firearms. Whether firearms are legal or not it doesn't change the fact that they kill people and there are a lot of people out there with mental health issues that are armed and that is worrying, in fact our minds can be destabilised very easily by many things personal tragedy, jealousy and many other things can change a rational person into an irrational person. Guns don't save anything they kill things.

Good luck with that.

14 hours ago, roo860 said:

My last point, are there no laws on gun ownership in Thailand? Do you need a permit? Does the gun have to be registered?

Yes mate they have laws ref having a permit etc.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Yes, you need a permit and I would guess it is extremely unlikely the father had one.  He is quite likely stateless, which would render ineligible for a gun permit, unless he has permanent residence.  Even if he could get a permit, I doubt he would have paid the sky high prices for a registered firearm

2 hours ago, zd1 said:

Swiss reservists are no longer given ammunition to take home with their service rifles.  To keep ammunition at home they now need a permit.

If  Thailand  is  going  to  get  the  Right to  bare  arms law,  like  the USA

then the future  will have  a  lot  more  deaths  like  this  one.  It  is  tragic

that  Adults  will  not  be  careful   and  it  costs  a  childs  life, unfortunately

it happens all over the world. 

Geezer

On Thursday, December 22, 2016 at 1:20 PM, roo860 said:

It's quite common mate for posters t t compare what happens here to what goes on in other countries.emoji106.png

And It's valid to do so

Please don't use Australia's so called 'draconian' gun control lawsas an example of how to do It though.  

Unable to edit typos.

14 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Swiss reservists are no longer given ammunition to take home with their service rifles.  To keep ammunition at home they now need a permit.

14 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

I know it is a waste of time arguing with a lot of Americans on gun law and gun restrictions, but we are not going to move on in this world when all we are doing is killing each other often over very little and we are allowing these tragic accidents to happen because of the love of firearms.

Love of firearms? It's nothing short of a gun fetish!

1 hour ago, roo860 said:

Never mentioned Australia, what you on about?

Wjy so aggressive?

I was suggesting fuiture posters don't use Australia's gun control laws as an example.

It's not all aboit you....others post here.

Unable to edit typos

Wjy so aggressive?

I was suggesting fuiture posters don't use Australia's gun control laws as an example.

It's not all aboit you....others post here.

Unable to edit typos

Not aggressive at all, I asked what are you on about, a question.

Ps, I don't know what Australia's gun control laws are.

On 22/12/2016 at 1:46 AM, GAZZPA said:

Not an argumentative comment, genuine curiosity. Does this really happen a lot in the US? I know the US has this (in my opinion) crazy and outdated law on gun ownership but I always thought that the storage of guns in the home was strictly adhered to, in other words no loaded gun stored at home.

It's an unbelievable scenario when someone so young gets killed by another child in a stupid, pointless and completely avoidable accident. I do wonder how it will effect the young boy because he is old enough to remember at 6 years old.

My last point, are there no laws on gun ownership in Thailand? Do you need a permit? Does the gun have to be registered?

Pushing the envelope of the ignorance and self righteousness of the Thai Visa commenters.  Giving a determination about something then asking about it in the same breath.  It's totally amazing idiocy,  and then there's the other things he's saying---which are all wrong naturally.

On 12/22/2016 at 6:26 AM, Time Traveller said:

Assuming this is a serious question, let me explain:

There are certain persons who seek to do harm against other people. Usually, this is due to such reasons as seeking personal gain at someone else's expense, lust, or simply sadistic behavior. Banning guns will not change that.

Unfortunately not everyone is as brave, as tough and as skillful in unarmed self defense as all of those anti-firearm lobby hypocrites. Some of us are elderly, some of us have physical disabilities and some of us will find ourselves simply outnumbered by criminals taking advantage of us at vunerable times.  The firearm does nothing more than give the owner a chance to protect their own lives. It's a chance. Not a 100% guarantee. But your right to life is a basic human right. Taking away your right to protect your life because of what someone else, who you never met, did makes no sense. Firearms are the equalizer.

And if you still don't believe me, ask yourself......if you ever find your self in a life threatening situation, then who you going to call? It's going to be to a man (or woman) with a gun to come to your help.    

That's so silly. Bless.

On 22/12/2016 at 4:24 PM, Dogmatix said:

Yes, you need a permit and I would guess it is extremely unlikely the father had one.  He is quite likely stateless, which would render ineligible for a gun permit, unless he has permanent residence.  Even if he could get a permit, I doubt he would have paid the sky high prices for a registered firearm

They are nearly all documented in these villages nowadays,  relatives will come from Burma to visit and work without documentation

In Lisu and Lahu villages the guns come out at Chinese new year, the legal owner of pistols will be the Head man and or deputy village head, shop/business owner and maybe the school headmaster or other goverment official. Also Lisu volunteer border guards were armed years back with carbines but disarmed due to reckless behaviour at New year...

There are illegaly held weopons usually the long muskets a hunting rifle or a single barrel shotgun.. I've seen pump action as well.

On December 22, 2016 at 8:21 PM, TonyClifton said:

Utter nonsense.  The girl is dead because it was IMPROPERLY stored.  

It's not nonsense at all, it is a completely factual statement. if he did not have a gun stored in his house (however he stored it) the this tragedy would not have happened.

I don't mind if you have different views about gun laws but I don't want to debate them thank you.

On December 23, 2016 at 7:29 PM, Tom Cahill said:

Pushing the envelope of the ignorance and self righteousness of the Thai Visa commenters.  Giving a determination about something then asking about it in the same breath.  It's totally amazing idiocy,  and then there's the other things he's saying---which are all wrong naturally.

What are you talking about? Where is the self righteousness? How is it ignorant to state you don't understand something? How is it "totally amazing idiocy"?

This a forum for debate and thats exactly what people are doing, including me. Your rudeness, unnecessary and inappropriate post has contributed nothing to this forum at all. 

If you see my post as idiocy because I am inviting comment then don't participate, why would you? Go and do something else instead. I will never understand people who abandon all sense of civility just because they are sitting behind a keyboard.

Have a good day.

Archived