Foreigner Allegedly Beaten and Left on Walking Street

webfact

Thailand needs to catch up on security and safety for tourists . Or would they be losing face if they were to adopt a system used in the UK where all licenced night clubs have to have security in place . Used to be called a bouncer but now a Door Supervisor who will be certified under the badge of the S.I.A.  Security Industries Authority .  Their job is to vet customers before they are admitted to the club , be aware of any possible altercations and break up , intervene  and eject the trouble maker using the minimal force . They will also call the police if there looks like trouble . The premises to have cctv throughout .    Not rocket science is it ?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know exactly what happened here and the pictures look really nasty,

Is any other city centre safe when people are pissed at 3 in the morning.

To be fair i go to walking street a couple of times week and touch wood have never had a problem. The thai guys working there put up with a hell of a lot of really drunk foreigners every night, I think you would have to do something pretty out of the ordinary to take a beating like that.
The pictures don't look great and i hope the lad is ok.

2 hours ago, up-country_sinclair said:

OK, I know I'm going to get a lot of flack for this, but people shouldn't be surprised that this sort of thing can happen on Pattaya's walking street at 3 am.  By no means am I stating or implying that this poor guy deserved what happened to him, but he was engaging in risky behavior and sometimes there are unfair consequences.

Alcohol + Pattaya's walking street+3 am= the potential for a bad outcome.  

People do it because it's not available in their countries and they want to have fun.  But,  there's a reason it's not available in their counties:  It's very often not safe.

You shouldn´t have any bad comments on this one. You are purely without a blindfold stating the cold hard truth. Everybody that hasn´t had time to have fun and drink enuogh at 03.00, is either worthless at drinking or just gone over the line. It´s actually far enough with: Pattaya + No Alcohol + 23.00! Just a sick and very criminal part of Thailand. Can´t imagine how people from outside want to build/rent a house there or rent an condo. My thought of coming here is to have a nice and relaxing life, not have to be in a city where people have to fear for their lifes every time they want to go out and have fun.

CHIP ALLEN

Never run a tab. Pay when served. Thais will KILL you over forty baht.

I beg to differ. A few years ago, on Walking St.,  an Aussie friend and his Thai wife were asked to pay their bill at about 2:00 a.m. so that the server could go home.

He then finished his drink and prepared to leave but was accosted and beaten by several staff & motorbike "sidekicks" for not paying his bill before leaving.  My guess is that the earlier waiter pocketed the money and went home. My friend was badly beaten when  he felt he was being ripped off. I guess there is no way to win this one unless you get a paper receipt.

Last week I was hosting some visitors who wanted to see Walking Street for the first time. We stopped in the middle of the street for a minute at about 10:30 to watch a band. Two young drunk guys stumbling along plowed into me and my thumb was bent backward in a painful manner. I reflexively gave the second guy a slight push to move him away from me. He bumped into a girl who's boyfriend then approached me in a threatening manner, assuming I was at fault and the cause of the bump into his girlfriend. I explained and he backed off. I'm 70 years old and was not in the mood to fight a 20 something "Sir Galahad".

BOTTOM LINE - Walking Street is not the fun it used to be.  

The problem is that the thugs aka doormen do not stop the beating when a drunken troublemaker is on the ground.
Then, once again, is neatly kicked against the defenseless on the ground again and again.
A manslaughter is also considered.
And it is in 99% of all cases a group, where everyone then alternately to kick.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

I am not making up excuses for the Thais who are responsible for the beating, but gangs of them do not turn on single Farangs for no reason.

No they don't, usually after adding several drinks to the bin of the drunkest guy in the bar that is alone, He protests the bin and gets beat unconscious, normal procedure. I would love to set bars up for this, they do it all the time and many just pay the doubled bin and move on. Which is the smartest option at that point.

From the TV warrior troop it seems that the case is closed.

1) farrang didn't pay his bill

2) farrang received an undeserved beating

3) police is trying to cover up

Funny as I have yet to see a case in real life where foreigners getting in trouble with Thais didn't deserve it - and I've been coming here the last 15 years. If you come looking for trouble in Thailand, you will find it very quickly - especially on Walking Street.

49 minutes ago, Get Real said:

You shouldn´t have any bad comments on this one. You are purely without a blindfold stating the cold hard truth. Everybody that hasn´t had time to have fun and drink enuogh at 03.00, is either worthless at drinking or just gone over the line. It´s actually far enough with: Pattaya + No Alcohol + 23.00! Just a sick and very criminal part of Thailand. Can´t imagine how people from outside want to build/rent a house there or rent an condo. My thought of coming here is to have a nice and relaxing life, not have to be in a city where people have to fear for their lifes every time they want to go out and have fun.

You need to adopt your moniker.........:wacko:  I don't know any of my acquaintances who "have to fear for their lifes every time they want to go out and have fun." What a load of nonsense.

3 hours ago, hobobo said:

I didn't know that drinking alcohol also gives you bruising on the face as well as head and face wounds. Maybe I'm not drinking enough?

Indirectly it can. Some drunk people become extremely aggressive, abusive, very brave and want to start fights with everyone around them. 

1. And the 900 police assigned to patrol Pattaya during the high season to keep tourists safe were Where?

More smoke and mirrors BS from the authorities that be!

2. Who ever gave the Thai bar / security staff the authority to issue a beat down to anyone for any reason?

3. Are they all police and military personnel moonlighting (2nd jobs) at the bars?

7 minutes ago, ThailandLOS said:

From the TV warrior troop it seems that the case is closed.

1) farrang didn't pay his bill

2) farrang received an undeserved beating

3) police is trying to cover up

Funny as I have yet to see a case in real life where foreigners getting in trouble with Thais didn't deserve it - and I've been coming here the last 15 years. If you come looking for trouble in Thailand, you will find it very quickly - especially on Walking Street.

I was overcharged in a bar and stated my case. The bar owner/manager went nuts firing bottles at me hard, I got lucky to block them as they glanced off my arms, I was also lucky that I had already paid the overcharged bin as I'm sure they would not have let us run out the door otherwise and I probably would have looked like this guy. I like to pay as I go now unless I'm on friendly ground. I am about the happiest guy you will ever meet and never look for trouble.

I was also in Pattaya when a loud mouth Thai boxer confronted a US marine and got his but kicked, half hour later the Marine was shot dead by this punk.

I also saw a guy smashed drunk one night stumbling around the soi's just north of walking street, he was being followed at a distance by two Thais, I got in between and followed him till he got his bearings and found his hotel.   They were not looking to help him.

You won't see many of these beatings unless you are out really late and they don't normally do it with other farangs around as they know better.

I suggest you try it by yourself before you are so sure.

Even if the guy provoked them do you think that type of beating is required?

21 minutes ago, topt said:

You need to adopt your moniker.........:wacko:  I don't know any of my acquaintances who "have to fear for their lifes every time they want to go out and have fun." What a load of nonsense.

Your opinion is noted. You actually managed to convince me. Pattaya have nothing to worry about and is one of the safest places to be at 03.00 in Thailand. I stand corrected. LOL

3 hours ago, yogi100 said:

I'm in Pattaya at present and it's the slowest high season I've ever seen. If scenes like the one in the opening post start getting distributed in the press of the civilised world it can only have a detrimental effect on future tourism.

At one time such crimes were expected in places like Brazil but these day it's getting all too common in the LOS. I'm elderly and have never had a problem with Thai men but in recent years I'm getting rather nervous when in their vicinity. That was never the case years ago.

thailand and especially Pattaya lives of tourism....but rather s special kind  ... backpacker s for drugs or old westerners for girls... Pädophile s or from other thirld World countries...russians indians criminals from everywhere....or cheap chinese masses....so altogether not the top guys or quality western tourists....so who bothers if somebody gets beaten this is the usual way this kind of people live....

The way to stop all this is simply by voting with your feet. Walking street is a dying area- most Western tourists are avoiding it and the government is going to push it so it will either close or change to a more friendly atmosphere.  I wouldn't go there if you paid me. One of the more disgusting places in Thailand.

1 hour ago, Grubster said:

No they don't, usually after adding several drinks to the bin of the drunkest guy in the bar that is alone, He protests the bin and gets beat unconscious, normal procedure. I would love to set bars up for this, they do it all the time and many just pay the doubled bin and move on. Which is the smartest option at that point.

Overcharging and double counting is practice in all red light districts around the world.
What is also often forgotten by drunks is, that some of the male bar employees have relationships with the girls in the bar.  If one then behaves like a wild boar and touches the wrong girl too often.
A fuse can burn through.
It is never good in a red-light district to drink yourself unconscious.

Archived