Foreigner Allegedly Beaten and Left on Walking Street

webfact

I feel sad when i see the photo. Whatever the Farang did, using four letter words or show the middle finger he didn't deserve to be so badly beaten.

I want to ask the Prime Minister Chan 0 Cha ,"Is Thailand a Buddhist country?" Is this how Buddhist country behaves?

To say this is evil is an understatement.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope that photos circulates around the world, see what happens when you come to LOS (Land of Savages) and have a few too many, thinking you're in a good happy holiday environment with smiling friendly locals.

Well...if you were to go look at the police records for daily and nightly activity reports I would bet you that there are numerous fights and beatings happening all over the greater Pattaya area and happening between all manner of people.

Seeing as a lot of alcohol ( as in copious amounts ) is being consumed while a good percentage of people are very drunk then this particular drunken beating or fight that occurred is more than likely amongst maybe as many as a dozen people hurt from brawling and fighting and heated arguments that turn violent while drunk and aggressive.

I have always wanted to see the daily and nightly police reports and records accumulated by the police from all districts of Pattaya and certain they would confirm what I have stated.

Cheers

3 hours ago, ThailandLOS said:

Funny as I have yet to see a case in real life where foreigners getting in trouble with Thais didn't deserve it - and I've been coming here the last 15 years. If you come looking for trouble in Thailand, you will find it very quickly - especially on Walking Street.

So thats it, case closed, the victim deserved it. No Thai could do that.

3 hours ago, Grubster said:

Even if the guy provoked them do you think that type of beating is required?

It all depends on what went on before the beating. There are situations that justify a proper beating in my book, e.g. assaulting a woman or molesting a child. Point in case, nobody knows what caused the attack on the guy but the speculation goes wild as always on TV.

It's true I don't frequent Walking Street bars at 3 am at night .- or no other time as a matter of fact. Visiting these hot spots at night and getting piss drunk is equal to asking for trouble. Leaving it to those amused by bar life.

6 hours ago, up-country_sinclair said:

OK, I know I'm going to get a lot of flack for this, but people shouldn't be surprised that this sort of thing can happen on Pattaya's walking street at 3 am.  By no means am I stating or implying that this poor guy deserved what happened to him, but he was engaging in risky behavior and sometimes there are unfair consequences.

Alcohol + Pattaya's walking street+3 am= the potential for a bad outcome.  

People do it because it's not available in their countries and they want to have fun.  But,  there's a reason it's not available in their counties:  It's very often not safe.

I am suprised because if as you say it frequently occurs , its called a systematic risk i.e. like a dangerous turn in a road.

Whoever manages something ( a firm , a city ) is responsible of dealing with systematic risk. Add more cops , add a gate in WS after 3am etc ...

The individual is only responsible of dealing with non systematic risk.

Since WS is a key tourist hotspot in Pattaya's nightlife ,it should be secure AT ALL TIMES.

So events like this underline a management failure.

6 hours ago, sweatalot said:

"Officers say they will investigate the incident and are concerned for the good image of Thailand. "

I am surprised that nobody said they are concerned about the health of the man.

Clearly shows their priority.

When I look at that foto things like fractured skull, brain hemorrhage, ruptured spleen or liver, rib fractures come to my mind

We do not want to see a hemorrhage of tourists it would fracture profits and that of course would be a kick in the head.

2 hours ago, Danny Apple said:

In thai territory..foreigners r always threaten or beaten up..for small silly mistakes or misunderstanding which insulted any local thais..

Right, you seem to know all about it. In fact, in Thailand when farrangs behave like a**es 99% of the time they are treated with a LOT of patience by the locals, UNTIL they encounter the wrong Thais and find out what can happen in Thailand when they try their patience too hard.

I'm amazed that so many Thais in Pats still find it inside them to greet rude, noisy, trouble seeking tourists with a smile.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your first post.

8 hours ago, yogi100 said:

I'm in Pattaya at present and it's the slowest high season I've ever seen. If scenes like the one in the opening post start getting distributed in the press of the civilised world it can only have a detrimental effect on future tourism.

At one time such crimes were expected in places like Brazil but these day it's getting all too common in the LOS. I'm elderly and have never had a problem with Thai men but in recent years I'm getting rather nervous when in their vicinity. That was never the case years ago.

Hello Yogi, well I hope you're having a good time in Pattaya. Personnally I've been living in Jomtien for the past 12 years and if anything has a detrimental effect on the kind of tourism that centers on Walking Street, what I will do is applaud and cheer.

4 hours ago, Grubster said:

I was overcharged in a bar and stated my case. The bar owner/manager went nuts firing bottles at me hard, I got lucky to block them as they glanced off my arms, I was also lucky that I had already paid the overcharged bin as I'm sure they would not have let us run out the door otherwise and I probably would have looked like this guy. I like to pay as I go now unless I'm on friendly ground. I am about the happiest guy you will ever meet and never look for trouble.

I was also in Pattaya when a loud mouth Thai boxer confronted a US marine and got his but kicked, half hour later the Marine was shot dead by this punk.

I also saw a guy smashed drunk one night stumbling around the soi's just north of walking street, he was being followed at a distance by two Thais, I got in between and followed him till he got his bearings and found his hotel.   They were not looking to help him.

You won't see many of these beatings unless you are out really late and they don't normally do it with other farangs around as they know better.

I suggest you try it by yourself before you are so sure.

Even if the guy provoked them do you think that type of beating is required?

Obviously it hasn't been proved that he was beaten yet - well, at least according to the headline!

6 hours ago, Thaidream said:

The way to stop all this is simply by voting with your feet. Walking street is a dying area- most Western tourists are avoiding it and the government is going to push it so it will either close or change to a more friendly atmosphere.  I wouldn't go there if you paid me. One of the more disgusting places in Thailand.

Walking Street is a dying area? WS is a tourist attraction,same as the Red Light District in Amsterdam.In both the curious tourists far outnumber punters these days.

8 hours ago, Get Real said:

You shouldn´t have any bad comments on this one. You are purely without a blindfold stating the cold hard truth. Everybody that hasn´t had time to have fun and drink enuogh at 03.00, is either worthless at drinking or just gone over the line. It´s actually far enough with: Pattaya + No Alcohol + 23.00! Just a sick and very criminal part of Thailand. Can´t imagine how people from outside want to build/rent a house there or rent an condo. My thought of coming here is to have a nice and relaxing life, not have to be in a city where people have to fear for their lifes every time they want to go out and have fun.

"where people have to fear for their lives every time they want to go out and have fun." ?!?!  This is the Pattaya,Thailand forum,not the Caracas Venezuela one.I`ve never feared for my safety in Pattaya..........neither has anyone else I know here.

5 hours ago, madusa said:

I feel sad when i see the photo. Whatever the Farang did, using four letter words or show the middle finger he didn't deserve to be so badly beaten.

I want to ask the Prime Minister Chan 0 Cha ,"Is Thailand a Buddhist country?" Is this how Buddhist country behaves?

To say this is evil is an understatement.

2 of the guys doing the beat down were Philipino so likely Christian. Is this how Christians behave?

Maybe he was a billigerent, mean, or stupid drunk, maybe he was a totally innocent, sober as a judge, bystander, but this happens in every city in Canada or the US every night of the year. It happens to innocent people and it definetly happens to anyone looking for trouble. Try walking East Hastings in Vancouver at ANY time or how about 20 st in Saskatoon (and thats a much smaller city) at bar closing time. Ill take Walking street 24/7.  Saying that Thailand is worse than other places at bar closing time is a load of rubbish. 

Pattaya one has a follow up on the story:
Walking Street attackers claim beaten tourist groped girlfriend first
The foreign tourist who was beaten unconscious by a group of Thai men in Walking Street last night has been identified as twenty-two year old Norwegian Mr Ole Magnus Brathen.
At 5pm, on December 22, Pattaya police arrested twenty-year old Mr Ekasit (Boy) Waitee who works as a waiter at the Reggae & Soul Bar on Walking Street.

Beaten_Foreigner_Groped_Girlfriend_First
Photo of the 3 grinning attackers

Continued http://pattayaone.news/en/walking-street-attackers-claim-beaten-tourist-groped-girlfriend-first/

1 hour ago, Yahooka said:

Walking Street is a dying area? WS is a tourist attraction,same as the Red Light District in Amsterdam.In both the curious tourists far outnumber punters these days.

"where people have to fear for their lives every time they want to go out and have fun." ?!?!  This is the Pattaya,Thailand forum,not the Caracas Venezuela one.I`ve never feared for my safety in Pattaya..........neither has anyone else I know here.

Great for you. If you bother to read more before comment. Someone already made almost the same quote on my post like you just did. I also answered that one. The same return answer goes for you. So, this discussion was already over before you quoted.

hmmm.....maybe this is the "good" image of tourism that Thais have in their own minds.Yet another cowardly attack of a group on a single person....this will certainly improve tourist thoughts on visiting Pattaya  or in this case " not walking because unconscious street"

1 hour ago, JDMCanuck said:

Maybe he was a billigerent, mean, or stupid drunk, maybe he was a totally innocent, sober as a judge, bystander, but this happens in every city in Canada or the US every night of the year. It happens to innocent people and it definetly happens to anyone looking for trouble. Try walking East Hastings in Vancouver at ANY time or how about 20 st in Saskatoon (and thats a much smaller city) at bar closing time. Ill take Walking street 24/7.  Saying that Thailand is worse than other places at bar closing time is a load of rubbish. 

Are the places you mention international tourist resorts.

East Hastings! 20 st in Saskatoon! Be real.

I've never heard of 'em. No one else ever has either.

18 minutes ago, katana said:

Pattaya one has a follow up on the story:
The foreign tourist who was beaten unconscious by a group of Thai men in Walking Street last night has been identified as twenty-two year old Norwegian Mr Ole Magnus Brathen.
At 5pm, on December 22, Pattaya police arrested twenty-year old Mr Ekasit (Boy) Waitee who works as a waiter at the Reggae & Soul Bar on Walking Street.

Beaten_Foreigner_Groped_Girlfriend_First
Photo of the 3 grinning attackers

Continued http://pattayaone.news/en/walking-street-attackers-claim-beaten-tourist-groped-girlfriend-first/

They think it's a great laugh.

45 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

Are the places you mention international tourist resorts.

East Hastings! 20 st in Saskatoon! Be real.

I've never heard of 'em. No one else ever has either.

So come to Thailand act like an idiot and because its a Tourist destination expect not have locals retaliate, esp at closing time? Have you actually ever been to a bar? 

UPDATE:

By Digital Admin -

Beaten-Foreigner-Groped-Girlfriend-First 

PATTAYA: -- The foreign tourist who was beaten unconscious by a group of Thai men in Walking Street last night has been identified as twenty-two year old Norwegian Mr Ole Magnus Brathen.

Full story: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/959934-walking-street-attackers-claim-beaten-tourist-groped-girlfriend-first/

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

Great for you. If you bother to read more before comment. Someone already made almost the same quote on my post like you just did. I also answered that one. The same return answer goes for you. So, this discussion was already over before you quoted.

I don`t have the time to read all the posts so I quoted your biased post.....fair enough ?!?!

Many people in this forum probably know me for being too positive about everything. That´s just that I am a positive person and try to see life from that side as much as possible.

Alla these beatings of tuorists in Thailand I can´t see anything positive with at all. Here it´s always the most poor excuse that is accepted as nithing happened. How can the system in a country protect their people up to this degree of madness? Somebody thoughed my girlfriends breast, and I had to protect her hounor. I could not do it myself though, I had to have two of my friend with me to be a man and stand up for anything in life. It´s pure madness at it´s amazing top.

There is actually a law in this country too, that unfortunately is being used with extreme caution at the same time there is a lot of talk about Thailands face in the tourists eyes. Use the law and the face look better!

The law says in simple words, that you can not assault anybody. Especially if the problem is between other people and no fysical harm has been done. Here it says that if you have a complaint, that you should contact the proper authorities. If disregard things like the law, and also use two friends to beat a man unconsiuos almost killing him there must be a punishment. That punishment should according to the law be jailtime and a fine, bacause of the raw sensless charateristic of this criminal offense.

See, nor always a positive man. 

15 hours ago, NextStationBangkok said:

This is not just  wounds and bruises , it looks like brutal attack and attempted murder of a foreigner. :shock1:

I hope international new agencies will show this the world what is going on in Walking street ?

Under the new law they are not allowed to.  As it is now illegal to post anything damaging to the image of Thailand they could be blocked if they try to suggest it was not the foreigners fault or this this has happened to other tourists.

Archived