Police name victim found floating in the sea off Koh Larn last week - he's American

webfact

56 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

Columbo was fiction.

Lol.... and if you hadn't seen the picture of the floating body, you could be excused for thinking this fiction, too.

or not.... because, on second thought,  I'm pretty sure that no fiction writer ( or screenwriter) would have a suicide by harpoon method of death.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Well someone with scuba and harpooning experience....is it likely one could accidently (or purposely) wound your own neck with one of these  things?

Nowhere, in the original report or in this latest report, has it been suggested or implied that the wound, which is believed to be responsible for his death, was caused by a harpoon.

It has only been stated that he died, presumed from a throat injury, while on a harpoon expedition.

5 minutes ago, Get Real said:

First his throat was cut, now there was a wound to his neck. If his throat was cut I can understand the theory about possible suicide, but I´ve never head someone making suicide by cutting their neck.

What we need to remember here is that in LOS you can commit suicide with hands tied behind your back.

Death by harpoon is feasible, probably not his own harpoon but still possible here.

9 minutes ago, kiwikeith said:

What we need to remember here is that in LOS you can commit suicide with hands tied behind your back.

Death by harpoon is feasible, probably not his own harpoon but still possible here.

Your version is more possible. You can still jump from a high building without using you hands. LOL

Folks, many of us knew Tom in Bangkok for the last 3 years as a member of an expats sports club. He was always lively, confident and reliable. It came to a shock to us that he suddenly decided to leave his usual life routine behind mid December with a plan not to return. He said to one person he will travel then maybe return to America. We just saw this dreadful news.

a knife was found at the scene (either tied to his wetsuit or sunk) with no other injuries. Apparently he talked of suicide to his wife who we didn't know.

That's all we know so far, but we are all in shock over this quick turn of events.

6 hours ago, Pungdo said:

Considering the original report said his throat had been slashed, suicide would seem to be a very unlikely prognosis one would think.

And the original report also said his body was tied to a wooden post protruding from the sea!

6 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

Of course he killed himself!!

Accualy this came up in a newpaper in my country. Seems they also found on the bottom beneat him a snorkel, diving goggles and a cutter knife. They also write they will try to test these things for fingerprints

So they not really rule out that he maybe tighed himself to the pole ( maybe to prevent his body would float away to make sure he would be found) and then cut his throat.

If he was murdered why would the murderer tie him up  to make sure they would find him ?! No body, no crime, no proof, no victim, no perpetrator.

Why do you always blame the wifes?  If it was murder it could have been a business deal that went wrong , just like the French guy last week . 

But from what I read now most likely a well planned suicide. 

4 hours ago, rjwill01 said:

How are they sure he was diving alone? 

That is highly unlikely, he looks like he was set up in full wetsuit and his location would indicate he was operating from a boat which means he was likely accompanied, I find it unlikely he did this to himself - why bother

1 hour ago, kennypowers said:

correct if I'm wrong but the news report video posted in this thread says his wife came on holiday with him and is missing since his death  (can't be traced). Therefore making her a key suspect.

You're wrong Kenny. Tom left alone. She stayed at their condo in Bangkok. He didn't tell anyone at all where he was going or his travel plans, just that he wouldn't be back. He was not contactable by anyone.

12 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

suicide committed by a special method ?? Not easy to cut your own throat, but can be done. The police can look for the knife which would be below where his body was found if he did indeed kill himself. 

Death by having your throat cut is a slow death about 4 to 5 minutes so he would have suffered 

If your jugular vain is cut you will pass out in one second.

13 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Well someone with scuba and harpooning experience....is it likely one could accidently (or purposely) wound your own neck with one of these  things?

It is possible but highly unlikely to shoot yourself with a spear gun, unless your are really  intent on doing so. It would be easy to spear somebody else with a speargun from a close range. I Australia you are not allowed to load a spear gun, if there are other people in the water within a range of 50 metres, unless they are spearfishing as well.   

8 hours ago, cheesecakegirl said:

Oooh, a jealous and/or pissed-off Thai wife?  Oh, gee imagine that.  Now THOSE are rare.  **bigasseyeroll**

Real and fact based comment. You are the guy, or just another that just dont know what you are talking about. Probably the last.

12 hours ago, balo said:

Why do you always blame the wifes?  If it was murder it could have been a business deal that went wrong , just like the French guy last week . 

But from what I read now most likely a well planned suicide. 

women-are-evil_o_243751.jpg

Having been an Instructor of SCUBA  for years I find it highly unlikely that he shot himself with with his Speargun. Even if he was using a Hawaii Sling as opposed to the speargun he still would have had a difficult time.  What I found interesting was he was floating face up; this is not a natural position.  Your body wants to turn over face down feet hanging down not face up. And any diver worth his salt knows that going deep is the best way to commit suicide; via "Rapture of the Deep! "

Archived