Khon Kaen's "python flying circus" - it's no laughing matter!

webfact

Khon Kaen's "python flying circus" - it's no laughing matter!

a2.jpg

Picture: Thairath

KHON KAEN: -- Khon Kaen airport has stepped up security after a commercial airliner went over a two meter long python on the runway.

Since the incident the airport have been closely checking the busy runway from 6am to 10pm looking for snakes and other animals who might fancy a bit of sunbathing on the tarmac, reports Thairath.

The airport said that there was no danger to the flying public but they wanted to make sure that everything was being done according to the regulations.

The errant python was squashed dead under the wheels of a plane that had just landed and was taxiing to the gate towards the end of November.

The pilot immediately reported the incident but it has only just come to light.

Officials are out on the runway at least four times a day now checking that critters from the extensive nature nearby have not overstepped the mark.

The airport has 36 commercial flights a day as well as private, training and military flights.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-12-23

"The airport said that there was no danger to the flying public but they wanted to make sure that everything was being done according to the regulations" ... and they state ...

1. At no time is a python allowed on or near the runway at anytime.

2. If for some reason a python does get on the runway in no way should it be allowed to get itself crushed by a plane.

3. Following any incident the likes of the above regular checks should be made of the runway to ensure no pythons are a threat to passenger safety.

4. During these checks:

4a. Any python found on or near the runway shall surrender themselves to the airport authorities.

4b. It is obligatory to enter into the classic pointing pose for the sake of the camera. 

2 hours ago, rtco said:

"The airport said that there was no danger to the flying public but they wanted to make sure that everything was being done according to the regulations" ... and they state ...

2. If for some reason a python does get on the runway in no way should it be allowed to get itself crushed by a plane.

3. Following any incident the likes of the above regular checks should be made of the runway to ensure no pythons are a threat to passenger safety.

4. During these checks:

4a. Any python found on or near the runway shall surrender themselves to the airport authorities.

4b. It is obligatory to enter into the classic pointing pose for the sake of the camera. 

There is an additional regulation that concerns goats on the runway:

1. Goats should at all times be accompanied by a member of the airport security staff.

2. If a goat is spotted by itself and nearby a Python, the python should immediately be removed and the goat leashed.

3. A Goat that is designated "Goatee" can be allowed to stroll around, but only outside the runway.

Who can remember when Don Muang used to have a herd of cows/buffaloe grazing away in the middle of the two runways which also doubled as a golf course? That was when all the international flights used to fly into there. A small python, lol.

8 hours ago, rtco said:

4. During these checks:

Any python found in the airport controlled area without ID , Passport or Valid Visa will be taken to IDC to await charges and possible deportation and black listing.

2 hours ago, South said:

Who can remember when Don Muang used to have a herd of cows/buffaloe grazing away in the middle of the two runways which also doubled as a golf course? That was when all the international flights used to fly into there. A small python, lol.

They had staff at strategic points on the golf course who would wave a red flag when a plane was landing or taking off to halt the golf players in case someone sliced a ball towards a plane.

I never saw any snakes but plenty of Jumbo's.

Terrible news!  Has the python's next of kin been notified?

Once I was on a night flight taking off from Oakland, California. The runway went through some brush land, I was sitting toward the front of the plane, and in the light of the plane's headlights I saw hordes of rabbits scattering at the planes approach during takeoff.  This went on the full time the plane was building up speed for liftoff, thousands of them!  I never heard them mentioned in the media, and apparently they didn't cause any reported crashes.

4 minutes ago, bendejo said:

Terrible news!  Has the python's next of kin been notified?

Once I was on a night flight taking off from Oakland, California. The runway went through some brush land, I was sitting toward the front of the plane, and in the light of the plane's headlights I saw hordes of rabbits scattering at the planes approach during takeoff.  This went on the full time the plane was building up speed for liftoff, thousands of them!  I never heard them mentioned in the media, and apparently they didn't cause any reported crashes.

I seem to recall a photo of the locals pointing at where the rabbits may have been.

Archived