Double whammy as man flips his car - then has his phone and money stolen by "Good Samaritans"

webfact

Double whammy as man flips his car - then has his phone and money stolen by "Good Samaritans"

a4.jpg

Picture: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- The story of a man who fell asleep at the wheel, flipped his car then had his iPhone and money stolen, is doing the rounds of Thai social media.

But despite trashing his car and having nothing but inadequate insurance, the driver at least still had his wife and son who were only slightly injured.

The story was posted on Pantip under the name "salily" by an elder brother of the driver who was on his way from Samut Prakarn to Wang Nam Khiaw in his Mazda 2, reports Daily News.

He nodded off on a stretch of road in Kabinburi, Prajinburi, hit a barrier and flipped over. His wife and child were sleeping in the back; the six year old boy needed four stitches but apart from that and some bruising they were alright.

"Good Samaritans" saw all three of the badly shaken family to hospital nearby.

The driver told his brother that he had slept only four hours the night before because of pressure of work ahead of the New Year holidays and was also in a hurry to meet friends on time. He warned people online to be wary about being overtired following his experiences.

But his luck did not improve after the crash. When he went back from the hospital to what remained of his car he saw that someone had stolen his iPhone6 and taken all the money out of his wallet.

Police lent him 4,000 baht to have his car towed to town where he got 50,000 baht for it as scrap.

He only had second class insurance, he said, but at least they were all alive.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-12-23

OK. Now read the post again.

The "Good Samaritans", or "Body Snatchers " if you like pulled him and his family from the wreck and took them to hospital.

Somebody - we don't know who, subsequently stole the phone and wallet

Thailand has no comprehensive emergency ambulance service on European lines. If it weren't for these rescue foundations, volunteers, you'll be dragged off to hospital in the back of a farm truck with no medical treatment, if you were lucky.

Now, something has to act as a balance and a counter action to the real

good Samaritans of this country namely honest taxi drivers and

kids who retuned 100 k who's good caricatures prevent them from

acting of primal .primal instincts of Me first....

I saw a very old man knocked of his bicycle by a car that then drove away. As my wife and I ran to help him a man pulled up and grabbed the old mans 500 baht phone and drove away. 

The old man sat at the side of the road crying we took him to hospital and my wife bought him a new phone, two days later the old mans daughter came to the house and gave her a Buddhist pendant. My wife was delighted with the gift.

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

Stepdaughter was knocked from her bike after a dog ran under her wheels.  Whilst she lay unconscious on the road another dog stole her  phone and purse.  Thai core values.

The police are searching for a 4-legged hairy animal shopping in Tesco or Big C with a purse, and talking on its mobile phone.

2 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

I remember the looting after the Lauda Air crash, one villager had a roadside stall with watches for sale that he had looted from the dead passengers, what a disgrace for the whole country it was. 

I think you can easily find that this is the same reason that foreign teams were not allowed to help in the aftermath of the tsunami.

7 hours ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

Isn't this the Standard Operating Procedure in Thailand? 

1. Arrive at scene of disaster
  2. Plunder the victim's possessions
  3. Attend to victim

Step #3 is optional

This only happens in Thailand, and not in other countries, right?

5 hours ago, fruitman said:

It's very sad but this is what you get without a real policeforce.

I don't believe it has anything to do with a lack of a real police force. It has much more to do with a lack of common decency and moral sense of right and wrong.  

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

Why is this news? When i had my accident, i was lying on the road unconscious.

My pockets were emptied of money/phone even the top-up card i had just bought for my phone.

Not news just a daily occurrence here.

Your a survivor Colin no doubt about that. Just make sure your wife wears her helmet on the motorbike. 

It does not happen in all other countries. 10yrs ago I was in a car accident when some jerk changed lanes without looking and he clipped my car and it ended up on its roof after sliding along on its side some distance. I had just been to an Amway warehouse and spent several hundred dollars on stuff which was laying on the back seat. My work bag was in the back seat area too, and it had a very expensive video camera in it. I was hurt quite bad and was laying under a tree being treated by an off duty paramedic while waiting for an ambulance. Someone came and gave me my cell phone as it had been thrown out of the car. The car was a hire car and after I was discharged from hospital I went straight to the hire car depot as I wanted to get my video cam and believe it or not it was still in my bag in the back seat area and all the many Amway products were still there too.

14 hours ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

Isn't this the Standard Operating Procedure in Thailand? 

1. Arrive at scene of disaster
  2. Plunder the victim's possessions
  3. Attend to victim

Step #3 is optional

Arguably this doesn't only happen in Thailand. It happens all over the world, it's really just luck of the draw who's around when you have an accident.

Source 1: it has also happened to people I knew when I was in Canada.

Source 2: a good friend of mine was a volunteer rescue worker in Thailand when I met him, he's now a wealth management advisor for a major Financial firm. He (and his co-volunteers) would be among the first people to prevent any theft from unconscious victims.

11 hours ago, mick220675 said:

I saw a very old man knocked of his bicycle by a car that then drove away. As my wife and I ran to help him a man pulled up and grabbed the old mans 500 baht phone and drove away. 

The old man sat at the side of the road crying we took him to hospital and my wife bought him a new phone, two days later the old mans daughter came to the house and gave her a Buddhist pendant. My wife was delighted with the gift.

Good on you and your wife! The world (not just Thailand) needs altruistic people such as yourselves.

10 hours ago, berybert said:

Yes it does but as you know this is a Thailand forum so why would people be talking about what happens in other countries ?

Because this is an expat forum where we like to pretend we are so much better than the average Thai to make ourselves feel better over our own limited accomplishments. Putting them down at every possible occasion is a good way to feel better.

When I had my motorbike accident nothing was stolen and we were helped great same when I was in a car with my ex that she crashed and we were brought to the hospital. Again nothing stolen just people helping us. I guess it just depends who you encounter. 

8 hours ago, possum1931 said:

What a stupid reply, don't you understand what I'm talking about??

Seriously ? What people should we be talking about ? Should we be talking about people in India or Africa. How about next time a Thai cab driver hands in a wallet, will you be mentioning cab drivers the world over hand in wallets.

Trying to defend people who steal by saying other people steal is no defence at all.

8 hours ago, robblok said:

Because this is an expat forum where we like to pretend we are so much better than the average Thai to make ourselves feel better over our own limited accomplishments. Putting them down at every possible occasion is a good way to feel better.

When I had my motorbike accident nothing was stolen and we were helped great same when I was in a car with my ex that she crashed and we were brought to the hospital. Again nothing stolen just people helping us. I guess it just depends who you encounter. 

Right and did Possum tell you people from other counties around the world also wouldn't have stolen your wallet ?

Archived