Woman who left ATM in machine had 10,000 baht stolen from her account

rooster59

6 hours ago, sanemax said:

It may have been possible, when you take your withdrawn cash, the machine asks if you would like any more transactions and you press no and the card comes out, maybe if you left the  the ATM card in the machine, the next person would be able to use it ? 

No, not possible. If you don't react to the atm's request within a few seconds, it slides your card back in to the machine and you'd then need to go in to the bank for it. Same with the money, if you don't take it quickly it takes it back!!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Falcon said:

No, not possible. If you don't react to the atm's request within a few seconds, it slides your card back in to the machine and you'd then need to go in to the bank for it. Same with the money, if you don't take it quickly it takes it back!!

Im sure that it must be  longer than just a few seconds .

6 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Woman who left ATM in machine had 10,000 baht stolen from her account

That's called tough titties. Man up, dear, and stop blaming foreigners on your stupidity.

Amusing as foreigners immediately lose control when they feel attacked.

Only in Thailand does a ATM give out the money first and card second.in the uk you must take your card out,then the cash will be dispensed.not rocket science really.

That is actually a major issue with ATM's here.. I can't remember how many times I've taken the cash & walked away, only to realise what I'd done the next time I wanted to use my card! Total pain in the ass!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

This is possibly why ATMs in many countries, return the card BEFORE issuing the money.

I've done it once:  took my money, got in the car and was 50km down the track when I remembered the card.

The ATM was next to a 7-11 store and there was nothing they could do.  I cancelled the card by phone.

This sounds like a lie to me How the heck can you use someone else's ATM without a Pin Number

On top of that the so called foreigners  ate at a restaurant and paid by credit card and the police

do not want to pursue this 

I think there is a fox in the hen house but it looks like the fox is the owner of the card

Girl give it a break feel lucky the police dont charge you for lying 

As several posters have pointed out - in Thailand the order of receiving cash and then card at ATM's is an issue. It may or may not have made a difference in this case, but changing the system to that used by most other countries would largely eliminate the no doubt thousands of cards being forgotten in ATM machines. Several other countries have changed the way their machines work - come on Thailand it's time to do the same.

4 hours ago, namatjira said:

Well, this happened to me, I left my card in the ATM, somebody used it straight after me and withdrew 20,000.

the bank people told me to file a report with the police and then they would get access to the other banks ATM camera.

nothing ever happened........guess it was a farang s money so they just did not follow up.

So you stuck your card in the machine, withdrew cash and walked away and someone else made a withdrawal.

I dont believe that for one second.

Was it a thai card in a thai machine ?

9 hours ago, seahorse said:

Don't these machines have a camera that records who uses them? Surely it should be a simple matter for the police to look at that and find out who was next to use the machine.

Don't be silly, the bib are too busy watching their free True wifi in their boxes.  ??

11 hours ago, The man from udon said:

Only in Thailand does a ATM give out the money first and card second.in the uk you must take your card out,then the cash will be dispensed.not rocket science really.

Same in Oz, I have left my card in a machine here, thankfully with no repercussions

10 hours ago, The man from udon said:

In Nepal and India it gets better.Put your card in,take it out.then put pin in,ect.

4 hours ago, namatjira said:

Well, this happened to me, I left my card in the ATM, somebody used it straight after me and withdrew 20,000.

the bank people told me to file a report with the police and then they would get access to the other banks ATM camera.

nothing ever happened........guess it was a farang s money so they just did not follow up.

Well that's bs.You have to keep at them.I did and got a result.

21 hours ago, The man from udon said:

Yeap, having to take the card out before getting your cash sounds sensible.  But maybe the programmatic thinking is that if the card comes out first, and there's any delay at all dispensing the cash, the customer might think there's been an error and start pushing buttons...    ... or maybe even just take their card and walk away intending to report that they didn't get their cash, and then have the cash finally get dispensed with them gone.

17 hours ago, Don Mega said:

So you stuck your card in the machine, withdrew cash and walked away and someone else made a withdrawal.

I dont believe that for one second.

Was it a thai card in a thai machine ?

Yep, it was a Thai card...Bangkok bank was the card.

the machine was the Thai military bank ATM.....TMB.

the Bangkok ATM was down so I used the one next to it,

picked up my cash....and away I went.

these particular atms pop up a ' do you want to continue with

another transaction '...... bugger, that's what the next person

faced when he went up to the machine.

I had my debit card sucked inside the ATM machine for no apparent reason after my transaction while the  Bangkok Bank branch, located in the same building and nearest to the Bangkok Bank ATM machine told me I would have to wait until the designated Bangkok Bank employees who refresh the ATM machine with new bank notes would retrieve the card for me and return it to that nearby branch bank in the building where the ATM machine is located.

The Bangkok Bank branch employee called the Head Office and confirmed that the Bangkok bank employees would be making their regular schedule rounds on the upcoming Friday around 2 PM ( 2 days from the time of my problem ) and all I could do was wait.

So, over to my bank branch and had them put a temporary hold on any transaction while learning that no further transaction had been made on my card since the time of the incident.

No one could answer as to why my card was sucked into the machine while another person had come up and used the machine immediately after I had lost my card in that Bangkok Bank ATM machine while they had no problems...so WHY was my card sucked into the machine and not returned to me after my simple routine transaction.

There I am thinking why???? would any ATM machine even have the function and ability to suck your card INTO the machine rather than always return or dispense the card OUT of the machine..........like DUH.

That incident more or less totally ruined my day while having to drop everything else and run about making sure the money in my account was not lost or the card was being stolen or relevant debit card information downloaded in some sort of ATM machine electronic based scam.

Both the Bangkok bank and my  bank assured me that can not happen ( yeah right ) and or would not happen while the card will be retrieved on Friday and handed in to the Bangkok Bank branch as previously arranged and you can carry on as usual.

Sure enough, on that Friday I showed up at the Bangkok Bank branch and had to have my passport with me and sign off and all was good and  back to normal.

However, I did go back to my nearby bank branch and had them cancel the old card and number and issue me a new card with a new and improved 6 digit personal code number ..but had to pay 200 baht for that upgrade

No problems since, but the feeling of "apprehension" is intense thinking all your money is going to be lost to some underhanded and orchestrated ATM electronic scam while you just know the bank responsible for the problem is not going to easily and or readily compensate you for a malfunction, of sorts, occurring at one of their ATM machines.

Just thinking of the nightmare entailed trying to get money back from the Bangkok bank made me feel somewhat ill.

Cheers

On 12/24/2016 at 5:28 AM, PatOngo said:

She studied the CCTV footage and the two people who were using the ATM after her looked like foreigners.

The waitress remembered they were foreign and they paid by credit card.

.........the people who stole the money were foreigners.

Is there no limit to how low foreigners will stoop!

Please don't pick on the waitress. and the victim can only guess.

I think the answer is that the  Americans took her cash.         Who else could it be?

I accidentally left my atm card in a atm machine. It was just a atm card from Canada and not a credit card. Called my bank and they said if you leave your card after a few minutes the machine will take the card. They canceled the card and sent me a new one. Oh and the atm cards are free in Canada and they paid the postage and had it three days.

As several posters have pointed out - in Thailand the order of receiving cash and then card at ATM's is an issue. It may or may not have made a difference in this case, but changing the system to that used by most other countries would largely eliminate the no doubt thousands of cards being forgotten in ATM machines. Several other countries have changed the way their machines work - come on Thailand it's time to do the same.

That would make WAY too much sense to actually happen here! [emoji13]

2 hours ago, Beats56 said:

I accidentally left my atm card in a atm machine. It was just a atm card from Canada and not a credit card. Called my bank and they said if you leave your card after a few minutes the machine will take the card. They canceled the card and sent me a new one. Oh and the atm cards are free in Canada and they paid the postage and had it three days.

Ahhh.......Thank you......Now I understand why a card would be drawn into a machine...

To prevent others from getting ahold of a card that was accidently left in the machine.

In my case, I made my transaction while right after my transaction and before I could retrieve my card, the card was sucked into the machine...Yikes!

Big headache ...lol

50 minutes ago, RGBKK said:

That would make WAY too much sense to actually happen here! emoji13.png

I think a voice recording that loudly announces: "HEY YOU"......"YAH YOU"  ...."DO NOT FORGET YOUR CARD"...with loud sirens and the sounds of explosions all around and red lights flashing and then, Robbie the Robot from Space Family Robinson shows up and says: Danger, Will Robinson,  Danger....

I think that would suffice ...lol

Cheers

On 24/12/2016 at 0:45 AM, sanemax said:

It may have been possible, when you take your withdrawn cash, the machine asks if you would like any more transactions and you press no and the card comes out, maybe if you left the  the ATM card in the machine, the next person would be able to use it ? 

Not sure that happens as I believe the card machine swallow it if it is not taken out after certain time. The beep noise is the alert to take card.

14 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Not sure that happens as I believe the card machine swallow it if it is not taken out after certain time. The beep noise is the alert to take card.

If the machine is on prompt for 'other service required?' then the card does not pop out until you press 'no' then it pops out. To do anything further it then requires you to shove it back in and enter your PIN again.

PS

Just to be pedantic it's not a PIN number, it's a PI number. Why would you say 'number' twice.

Archived