Year end traffic into Isaan; when to start?

nofarang

There is noway I would travel this week into issan from Bangkok or Pattaya after the 26th. The carnage leading up to and over Thailand's Number 1 holiday for road death is unreal. Last year 380 killed. Starting no later than this coming Friday expect highway 24 from the 2 going east for the next 200 km to be a  nightmare. UTY.

On 12/25/2016 at 11:00 AM, khwaibah said:

There is noway I would travel this week into issan from Bangkok or Pattaya after the 26th. The carnage leading up to and over Thailand's Number 1 holiday for road death is unreal. Last year 380 killed. Starting no later than this coming Friday expect highway 24 from the 2 going east for the next 200 km to be a  nightmare. UTY.

I have been driving Thailand north and south for only 6 months. I am currently driving now from BKK to Khon Kaen. No traffic issues no problems. Roads good to great. If an issue arises I will let you know. 

Drove to Pattaya over Christmas and drove back to BKK on past Monday. Roads good and Monday no traffic. Sunday probably had a lot of traffic. 

Drove Krabi two weeks roads great and traffic easy. 

Drove Phuket two weeks -- only issues tourist buses and expats on motorcycles and drinking all day not just at night. Not bad but unpleasant.  

Been to Khon Kaen several times and roads good and drivers good and no issues. 

Only issue I have had in Thailand are motorcycles at night with no lights driving the village roads, tourists renting motorbikes they have trouble driving, and drunk drivers out at 2 am like a lot of places I the world. I am not out at 2 am much but I look for drunk drivers  at 2 am in every place I live or visit. 

The truly horror stories of driving in Thailand IMOP are simply people that don't want to drive so they read one Thailand death statistic and extrapolate untrue opinion as fact.  I agree that if you have an accident in Thailand it may be your fault as it is in many countries that favor their own citizens. Saw the same thing in America.  If you have first class insurance no problem. 

I have driven in many cities in America and China where driving is much more dangerous. But people get killed every hour on the roads all over the world as driving is more dangerous than other activities --- but not more dangerous in Thailand than most other places.  Try Beijing if you want danger or Chicago. Try small town Texas in trucks not motorcycles if you want drunk drivers at 2 am. 

Take care and don't let the fear and anxiety of others and their interpretation of one published overbroad traffic statistic keep you from the roads. Thailand roads are in remarkable great shape and better than average compared to other countries. Whoever is in charge of Thailand roads actually does a very good job with Krabi getting the best marks from me so far. 

3 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

I have been driving Thailand north and south for only 6 months. I am currently driving now from BKK to Khon Kaen. No traffic issues no problems. Roads good to great. If an issue arises I will let you know. 

Drive to Pattaya over Christmas and drove back to BKK on past Monday. Roads good and Monday no traffic. Sunday probably had a lot of traffic. 

Drove Phuket two weeks -- only issues tourist buses and expats on motorcycles and drinking all day not just at night. Not bad but unpleasant.  

Only issue I have had in Thailand are motorcycles at night with no lights driving the village roads, tourists renting motorbikes they have trouble driving, and drunk drivers out at 2 am like a lot of places I the world. I am not out at 2 am much but I look for drunk drivers  at 2 am in every place I live or visit. 

The truly horror stories of driving in Thailand IMOP are simply people that don't want to drive so they read one death certificate. Also if you have an accident it may be your fault as it is in many countries that favor their own citizens. If you have first class insurance no problem. 

I have driven in many cities in America and China where driving is much more dangerous. But people get killed every hour on the roads all over the world as driving is more dangerous than other activities --- but not more dangerous in Thailand than most other places.  Try Beijing if you want danger or Chicago. Try small town Texas in trucks not motorcycles if you want drunk drivers at 2 am. 

Take care and don't let the fear and anxiety of others and their interpretation of one published overbroad traffic statistic keep you from the roads. Thailand roads are in remarkable great shape and better than average compared to other countries. 

Is this a Joke ?? 

You make it sound like a breeze...IF ONLY.......

Demolition Derby all over Thailand....., just watch the News at Night, to view the Carnage.....

7 minutes ago, robertthebruce said:

Is this a Joke ?? 

You make it sound like a breeze...IF ONLY.......

Demolition Derby all over Thailand....., just watch the News at Night, to view the Carnage.....

You must only see the news in Thailand. You ever travel much and watch local news?  It is a breeze. Especially compared to other places. 

You shouldn't run into much traffic if leaving today. I left BKK for Korat last year the day before New Year's day very early morning and was lucky enough to miss the heavy traffic. Daytime traveling though is horrendous. 4 hour trips turn to 11 hour trips. Same goes for the return. 

50 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

Drove to Pattaya over Christmas and drove back to BKK on past Monday. Roads good and Monday no traffic. Sunday probably had a lot of traffic. 

The truly horror stories of driving in Thailand IMOP are simply people that don't want to drive so they read one Thailand death statistic and extrapolate untrue opinion as fact.  I agree that if you have an accident in Thailand it may be your fault as it is in many countries that favor their own citizens. Saw the same thing in America.  If you have first class insurance no problem. 

Take care and don't let the fear and anxiety of others and their interpretation of one published overbroad traffic statistic keep you from the roads. Thailand roads are in remarkable great shape and better than average compared to other countries. Whoever is in charge of Thailand roads actually does a very good job with Krabi getting the best marks from me so far. 

Drive over the new years holiday and there is a better than even chance you will wind up as a statistic. UTY. The seven deadly days start December 29th.

I have been driving in Thailand for 20 years, north south east and west. Thailand has a very good highway and road structor and in some ways better than the US. BTW I'm a Yank.  Thailand has the 2nd highest road kill in the world. Last year even thoe the stats are cooked to look good they reported 380 dead over the NY holiday. And yes I have seen my share body bags out their. 

1 hour ago, khwaibah said:

Drive over the new years holiday and there is a better than even chance you will wind up as a statistic. UTY. The seven deadly days start December 29th.

I have been driving in Thailand for 20 years, north south east and west. Thailand has a very good highway and road structor and in some ways better than the US. BTW I'm a Yank.  Thailand has the 2nd highest road kill in the world. Last year even thoe the stats are cooked to look good they reported 380 dead over the NY holiday. And yes I have seen my share body bags out their. 

Someone who has driven 20 years in a country I give deference to for sure.  I have not driven 20 years in Thailand. I have driven all over the world and find Thailand an easy drive with nice roads. Sort of opposite of the constant message I have heard on TV to not drive Thailand at all because it is so bad and which makes it seem like a third world driving country which it is certainly not.

Will be careful over the holidays mainly because of drunk driving and tired driving but I must admit that is true of every major holiday in every country I have lived or worked. Peace. 

Wake up - I agree with the nice roads BUT as an engineer building roads in a neighbouring country told me, the better we build the roads the faster they go which often results in more deaths.  You can't disagree with the government statistics and Thailand being rated as the second worse country in the world for road fatalities?  I drive many miles here but I am extremely defensive because I know how they drive, drink and get crazily aggressive.  Not everyone but enough to give them the dubious b#2 position in the WORLD. 

The rush has already started. Just returned to Lahansai from Nang Rong and route 24 going onto Buriram and Surin is packed. Lower road from east Bangkok via Non Din Daeng going through Lahansai also a continuos line of traffic. If it's like that here in Isaan, it'll be far worse out of Bangkok. Get away now!

I left yesterday morning from Hua Hin to Pak Chong. 350 km. Took me 6 hours. Traffic was heavy with many jams on western 9 (Kanchanapisek) and then especially the long stretch before Sarabui.

Will commence the next days to Buriram via 24 and 218. Anyone having experience to use the 226?

5 hours ago, Wake Up said:

You must only see the news in Thailand. You ever travel much and watch local news?  It is a breeze. Especially compared to other places. 

I drive a lot in Thailand and have for 30 years, I certainly dont consider it a "breeze" there's a lot of untrained idiots out there driving vehicles that have far too much power for their skill level, rarely do I make a long journey without seeing an accident or at the least the aftermath.

Drive defensive & be careful, when they all get "ridiculous" just pull over and let the road clear a bit!

21 minutes ago, norfolkandchance said:

I'm planning to get a VIP bus from Bangkok to Korat on the morning of 1st Jan. Can I expect a longer journey then the 4 hours it normally takes.

Cheers

Yes. And thats if you have already booked the ticket. Good chance they are sold out.

8 hours ago, Wake Up said:

Thirty years driving in Thailand, especially in Isaan, makes me think you are way, way too inexperienced in this country to be coming up with such white-washed  absurdities.

I've driven in Thailand for 10 years and 38 years before that in the UK (a comparatively very safe country), including professional delivery driving of leased sports/saloon cars. I have also driven in other countries including 2 years while living in the US (also pretty safe, but you couldn't do much damage at 55 mph!) and much of the driving share on an overland London to India and back in my wannabe hippy days.

IMO the truth lies in the middle of the two extremes represented here. Normal period driving is relatively safe here (by reference to manic places like India, Iran and Turkey). Once you have the experience to recognise the idiots that is - buses swinging out to overtake on the f***-u principal, clapped out pickups turning right with no indication and tearaway motorbike idiots (mostly old step-thrus) trying to overtake you even though you have indicated to turn right well in time - you can probably survive unscathed. I find truck drivers to be generally reliable and most car drivers too.

But .. holiday driving and other disruptions like long accident tailbacks and they lose their cool, then their patience then their judgement and it's totally manic. No need to totally avoid the roads even in holiday periods but you need to recognise the danger signs and adjust your own driving. I love driving here cos you have to focus and there's plenty going on with pedestrians, motorbikes and dogs; it makes the journeys go that much quicker and maybe I'm daft but I find it kind of satisfying excercising a skill. [Cue obituaries for me tomorrow?]

On the other extreme hand I've had machismo Iranians try to drive me over the edge of steep drops on mountain passes. Turkish coaches overtaking me on the grass verge inside of me (out long wheelbase Landrover/trailer combos were far too slow to drive the hippy overland trail) and Sikh truck drivers who care not a fig whether they or you die on fast turnpike roads or horrifically tight Himalayan passes. Don't care what the stats say - IMO Thailand lies in the middle between civilised driving and the complete idiocy of quite a bit of the third world.

Though not as dangerous as painted, Thais are however the rudest drivers I have come across - anywhere. 'Me .. ME first' is the over-riding principal. How I would love to fit out my Fortuner with a machine gun turret!

17 minutes ago, tso310 said:

The problem with lower Isaan are the lack of alternatives. Sooner or later you will have to use the 24 and therein lies the traffic problem.

Just to be pedantic you can drive all the way from Ubon to Bangkok not using 24 at all (or 2 or 1) and still not using minor roads. Would take about 1-2 hours longer, but it's a more interesting drive that I and other friends occasionally do. Stick to the south of 24 near the Camby border then down towards Chantaburi and then turning West, skipping south of SaKaeow, Kanburi and Chachoengsao. It was a useful route in the flooding of 3(?) years ago too.

Starts today the 29th. Many people finished work yesterday and started travelling last night. I find it best to stay close to home during these heavy holiday traffic times. Increased police checks on the highway from Chonburi at Ban Bung, going to Rayong and Chantaburi and coming back.

12 hours ago, tso310 said:

The problem with lower Isaan are the lack of alternatives. Sooner or later you will have to use the 24 and therein lies the traffic problem.

Major improvements on the 24. It is now 4 laines from the highway 2 to just past the 24 & 214 junction at Prasat. Thats 200 km of 4 lane and some divided highway. Hopefully this does make a difference on the carnage that this highway is famous for.

Archived