Blood orange would probably do fine, if you could find one, and of course if you had good growing conditions, soil and water management, and diligent IPM that citrus require. If you had asked this a week ago I would have brought you some scions to graft onto a local orange variety with proven root stock.  I pruned a blood orange tree for a customer last week in California and gorged on the sweet, delicious and uniquely colored fruit. It doesn't show on the outside, but inside it really looks like splashes of red blood through the flesh. All the brush from pruning went for recycling into compost, I didn't think about bringing grafting material; I arrived in Thailand yesterday. Soi Dog 2 or Fruitman may have some in their collections.  We can check at Kamtieng plant market in Chiangmai, but I never saw blood orange there before.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DumbFalang said:

I planted a few last week just down the road from Chiang Dao in Samoeng, so let's see how they go. We have more down at our nursery in San Pa Tong so I'll find out the price and let you know.

Many thanks. Haven't learned grafting yet so happy to be able to buy them. Are these scions grafted onto another variety of rootstock?

Archived