Obey the traffic laws and we'll get you dinner, police tell motorists

webfact

Obey the traffic laws and we'll get you dinner, police tell motorists

a1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- In a move that is bound to create laughs - if not ridicule - the metropolitan police chief has said that drivers who follow the traffic laws at New Year will be rewarded with some free rice.

Wear a helmet, do up your seatbelt, leave the phone off - any of these actions could result in a box of 300 grams of tasty Thai rice courtesy of the met, reports Daily News.

Chief Sanit Mahathavorn said that the force was supporting farmers by buying the rice and passing it on to good motorists. They have shelled out for 100 kilos of rice for 88 police stations, he said, and maids were busy divvying it up so officers are ready with the packs this week.

The great rice handout is one of four innovative projects. Another is a fine "amnesty". Anyone who has had a fine and lost their license this year can go and pay it for the bargain basement fee of 100 baht flat rate. It is not for serious offences but for infractions like having faulty equipment, no helmet, using phones and the like.

In this way you can get your license back for the New Year for just 100 baht.

The met are also setting up 14 stations where people can get their vehicles checked and have a new tech project called "Police I lert U" for quicker reporting of traffic bottlenecks and accidents.

Sanit stressed that offences like drunk driving are serious and will be dealt with as such.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-12-26

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

........ Anyone who has had a fine and lost their license this year can go and pay it for the bargain basement fee of 100 baht flat rate. It is not for serious offences but for infractions like having faulty equipment, no helmet, using phones and the like ............

Who writes this stuff for the Peelers? Now a laughing stock with NO respect. Since when was faulty equipment (brakes, headlights and other mechanical defects) not a serious offence?

Truly pathetic and laughable

23 minutes ago, Moonmoon said:

Where can i go to collect my bag of rice?

Farang are excluded sir, they can buy it for a 10-foulded price, who do you think we are?

They just do this so they don't have to write fines...what about hitting all trafficoffenders 99 times with a carpet-beater? That would help better i think. And for every blown bulb on the vehicle we double the amount..

One way of using Yinluk's rice, I guess.

So will they stop every driver doing every correct procedure when driving?  That's a 100Kg of rice for me and the missus then , fair play she is also very good and cautious in the car.  A rarity I know, but they are out there. 

31 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

An interesting twist........police bribing the public to obey the law.

Is there no end to their ingenuity? I'm curious as to how much rice

it might take to extract the rogue monk from Wat Dhammakayo.

Yeah?? I am curious, how much rice it took to become the guy with the most liked content. 

8 hours ago, merlin2002 said:

The Tourism Authority Of Thailand should adopt this approach. Given TAT's war chest budget, they could buy 100's tonnes of rice from the farmers, and present tourists with rice gift boxes...

I think they did try giving rice out to tourists.....most was dropped in trash bins......lasted 2 days as I recall

10 hours ago, Cuchulainn said:

........ Anyone who has had a fine and lost their license this year can go and pay it for the bargain basement fee of 100 baht flat rate. It is not for serious offences but for infractions like having faulty equipment, no helmet, using phones and the like ............

Who writes this stuff for the Peelers? Now a laughing stock with NO respect. Since when was faulty equipment (brakes, headlights and other mechanical defects) not a serious offence?

Believe it or believe it not.....just yesterday in Pattaya I seen a man driving a motorbike with a toddler in front of him.....neither had a helmet on, ....the best bit is.....he was playing his phone at the same time.

Obey the traffic laws and we'll get you dinner!!!  On which planet do you live? 

It will take more than a promise of dinner to get Thais to obey the traffic laws... it requires the education of an entire selfish lawless nation.... including the police who drive like the rest

10 hours ago, Cuchulainn said:

Welcome to the beano comic stop crazy bus driver's speeding taking drugs falling asleep and I will give themail 3 bag's of rice 

Let's see:

100kilos / 88 police stations = 1.136 kilos/station /300g = 3.78 awards / station - ? due to spillage.

Seems like such an amazingly generous program that there will be nothing for the traffic BiB to do but hand out rice (and get their photos taken.

make mine a steak please, no chance of that I expect, this applies to Bangkok elsewhere you pay a fine, they will be terribly disappointed with me then, I only pay fines at a Police station. doing away with the corruption, most times it is reduced or waived.

11 hours ago, Cuchulainn said:

Last I checked faulty equipment isn't a serious offense anywhere. 
http://traffic.findlaw.com/traffic-tickets/mechanical-violations.html

Archived