Obey the traffic laws and we'll get you dinner, police tell motorists

webfact

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, akirasan said:

Hope it goes both ways and I can pay my fine with rice. 

Maybe this misguided inspiration is the first step in replacing the baht with rice as Thailand's currency. That would soon get rid of the surplus stock holdings while fixing the budget deficit. That theory might well come out of a military economist's handbook.

Nothing surprises anymore in Thailand.

6 hours ago, PatOngo said:

An interesting twist........police bribing the public to obey the law.

Is there no end to their ingenuity? I'm curious as to how much rice

it might take to extract the rogue monk from Wat Dhammakayo.

Not all the rice in Thailand (nor all the tea in China - to quote an old saying)!

100 kilos of rice, for 88 police stations. Wow. They really went overboard, with their generosity, and kindness. That is about one kilo per station, of enough to reward three drivers per station. And that does not include the rice that some of the officers will keep for themselves!

6 hours ago, A1Str8 said:

If I follow the traffic rules and laws, I get a manly portion of rice. If I don't and I happen to lose my license, 3 bucks will sort it out. 

I am already liking this. 

They take 200 baht for a minor indiscretion, then 100 baht more to close the deal.

(when I say minor it could be a life threatening decision, but you don't take a bike to a truck fight).

For 100Kg, I think they'd be better off putting the rice in shotguns and install good manners that way.  It'll sting more without a helmet, and hurt the paintwork of those without seatbelts, and no ID on the shot that can be traced back to the gun operator.

Broken rice is about 14 baht/Kg if buying by the metric ton.

4 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Nice bit of old fashioned US parochialism to post a list of US laws and define them as universal.

Yeah, you're right. I realize that.

Its just an example. I looked for the fines for other countries and couldn't find any listed. However when I've had a tail light out in the UK I was generally told to "get that fixed" and sent on my way. If you want to argue the original point, by all means post your country's rules if you can find them. Perhaps I'm not familiar with your terms. 

Right!,its straight round the nick for me.Ive got 100 kilo's of the bloody stuff in my front yard.They can have it as far as i am concerned.And the other 500 kilo's that we get from the wifes farm ever year.Mind you,she might be a bit miffed,when she finds out,that i gave it away,instead of selling it.Rice is ok,but only on occasion.

14 hours ago, webfact said:

In a move that is bound to create laughs - if not ridicule - the metropolitan police chief has said that drivers who follow the traffic laws at New Year will be rewarded with some free rice.

Thats one way to tackle the rice oversupply I guess. How do they determine this. Quote In a move that is bound to create laughs - if not ridicule unquote. I wish you would quit the getting the jump on this its spoils our fun. 

3 hours ago, Khun Paul said:

make mine a steak please, no chance of that I expect, this applies to Bangkok elsewhere you pay a fine, they will be terribly disappointed with me then, I only pay fines at a Police station. doing away with the corruption, most times it is reduced or waived.

Sorry rice only selection. 

21 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Right!,its straight round the nick for me.Ive got 100 kilo's of the bloody stuff in my front yard.They can have it as far as i am concerned.And the other 500 kilo's that we get from the wifes farm ever year.Mind you,she might be a bit miffed,when she finds out,that i gave it away,instead of selling it.Rice is ok,but only on occasion.

Package it up into small packets and sell for weddings. Cottage industry. Yes the wife would be miffed no doubt. Don't discourage wifie she is trying. 

14 hours ago, Cuchulainn said:

........ Anyone who has had a fine and lost their license this year can go and pay it for the bargain basement fee of 100 baht flat rate. It is not for serious offences but for infractions like having faulty equipment, no helmet, using phones and the like ............

Who writes this stuff for the Peelers? Now a laughing stock with NO respect. Since when was faulty equipment (brakes, headlights and other mechanical defects) not a serious offence?

Truly pathetic and laughable

Not even an E for effort. 

39 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

elgordo 38.

Hi,Thats a good idea,I didnt know they threw rice at weddings here.And of course i wouldnt really get rid of it.Of course she's trying,she's very trying.Seriously? she's a sweetheart and i will keep the rice.:biggrin:

If she is a sweetheart she is a keeper. Mine is as well. It the simple every day things that make them endearing/special. Rice to us foreigners can be a bit much diet wise but to a hungry Thai it is manna from heaven. Sometimes being Western raised we have a hard time to understand processes here. Best to just go with the flow. 

16 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Once the rice runs out, back to the old bad habits.

hmmmm......how about if you follow the road rules you will live longer?......it won't cost anything and the relentless daily slaughter of people on the roads will be reduced.......nah.....TIT

18 hours ago, Cuchulainn said:

Who writes this stuff for the Peelers? Now a laughing stock with NO respect. Since when was faulty equipment (brakes, headlights and other mechanical defects) not a serious offence?

Truly pathetic and laughable

Is that a trick question? :huh: Was that ever an offense in Thailand?

Don't eat the rice cause it will make you stupid! You will become unable to reason, you will buy a small rusted out scooter and weld a basket and wheel onto it, paint it with crayons and wire tie a propane bottle to it and start selling rice and chicken.

This is poison rice on a program to infiltrate the law abiding farangs!  Warning to all farangs, continue to be smart, law abiding and you will be fine. 

2 hours ago, bbbbooboo said:

hmmmm......how about if you follow the road rules you will live longer?......it won't cost anything and the relentless daily slaughter of people on the roads will be reduced.......nah.....TIT

Try explaining that to Thai drivers. Good luck with that.

Archived