Can I refuse a DHL delivery ?

madox66

I have ordered cologne for $ 60 from USA and it was sent through DHL...now they want to charge me $ 55 on delivery ( the shipping was paid for with the order).

I would rather loose my shipment than pay nearly twice the amount. Is it possible ? Have you done it ?

If you refue them they will be sent back eventually and the sender then can recover the charges for handling storage and sending them back from you.

$55 does not seem unreasonable duty and handling and sales tax.  Delaying adds storage at a high rate too.

Importing goods does have customs charges (probably about 50% for that kind of good and you are liable for GST on the total of the Shipping and goods.

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

You can instruct them to destroy an item as you're not prepared to pay them anything.

I've done this before but it was with FedEx, that was the last I heard of it.

That was an interesting post of yours. I did not know that.

I imagine, in this case, the result may be a pleased and nice-smelling customs officer!

I made the same post about 6 months ago .. The same responses, the seller has your money - after the initial shock of screaming a courier for waking me up with a bill of half the worth of the item, I called them back to organize a delivery.

Same reply - would you pay $60 for nothing or an additional $55 for something. 

Then in make a mental note to check that if you order anything again to make sure it comes via regular post.

Its really annoying isn't it ?

Amazon really irks me with their shipping charges.

They show you your bill, add "estimated" shipping charges and then you pay.

But then the item(s) show up, often in separate shipments, and only then do you get to see what the shipping charge ends up being for each item/shipment. I ordered a few things not long ago including a nice, non-stick roasting pan. Of course the pan came in a separate shipment and the charges were almost double the cost of the pan !

I paid but I look a lot closer at the things I order and have cancelled numerous orders when I see the shipping charges coming out to 2-3 times the value of the order. One place sent me an apology letter with the item they shipped me, telling me they didn't have a choice as far as the shipping methods and costs were concerned because Amazon dictates those to the retailers. The vendor sent me credit vouchers to use on future purchases to try and make up for the shipping costs.

I thought you could only refuse a shipment if it was the wrong item, or was damaged upon arrival. Different places have different return policies of course.

Those who inform themselves upfront have a clear advantage!

DHL and others pay duties and arriving handling charges upfront to customs. They charge you at least 15 $ alone for this service (minimum fee). So, count yourself in case you know what customs rate is, but I doubt.

What you have to realise is that if you import something by courier you have to pay import tax. This is not only calculated on the value of the item that you are importing but also you are taxed on the value of the courier charges. I quite often have to pay this to release goods to my daughter. If you order clothes from a store like Monsoon who will deliver direct this also applies.

53 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Amazon really irks me with their shipping charges.

They show you your bill, add "estimated" shipping charges and then you pay.

But then the item(s) show up, often in separate shipments, and only then do you get to see what the shipping charge ends up being for each item/shipment. I ordered a few things not long ago including a nice, non-stick roasting pan. Of course the pan came in a separate shipment and the charges were almost double the cost of the pan !

I paid but I look a lot closer at the things I order and have cancelled numerous orders when I see the shipping charges coming out to 2-3 times the value of the order. One place sent me an apology letter with the item they shipped me, telling me they didn't have a choice as far as the shipping methods and costs were concerned because Amazon dictates those to the retailers. The vendor sent me credit vouchers to use on future purchases to try and make up for the shipping costs.

It's gotten so bad the last couple of years I have almost stopped ordering from Amazon. It's not only Thailand.

Below is for a 50gm tube of skin cream, and I've also seen a 8gm flash drive, $6.99 with shipping to Australia costing an additional $49!!!

I pick the cheapest option available, never overnight priority expedited shipping.

I made the mistake once of ordering some headphone pads, a $6.99 item with shipping of $25 and it took six weeks to arrive.

Amazon Shipping.JPG

44 minutes ago, bermannor said:

Those who inform themselves upfront have a clear advantage!

DHL and others pay duties and arriving handling charges upfront to customs. They charge you at least 15 $ alone for this service (minimum fee). So, count yourself in case you know what customs rate is, but I doubt.

Interesting they charge in dollars, I woulda though baht being the currency of the country they would charge in that.

BTW Ive imported stuff into Thailand with DHL and not seen this charge in either dollars or baht.

Edited by Don Mega

DHL is the absolute pits. It's the worse way of having something delivered to Thailand. Two recent experiences:

1) Bike frame from Condor Cycles in London: 75% VAT/duty etc. Then another 10% storage and handling. I refused to pay. Eventually a compromise was negotiated because Condor had words with their DHL agents in the UK. We ended up paying 40% overall.

2) Some cycling shorts from Rapha. They ship "free" from Hong Kong. $129 US; Import costs via DHL? $110. I refused to accept. Told Rapha and they refunded the whole cost. My son then bought these in the UK for me and mailed them to me via Post Office. Shipping about $15. Import? $0

If I order anything from anyone I first check if they use DHL. If they do I try to persuade them to use EMS. If they won't then I cancel order.

DHL have added the discount I received from Condor back onto to the product; they added the UK VAT back on and made the price much higher in that way. They can then charge a fortune for VAT & duty on an enlarged price.

NEXT: Hang Dong Post Office steal mail at their sorting office. I only ever get mail now if it is sent signed for unless it's in an official envelope like a bill or a bank statement. Lost so much stuff over the past couple of years.

AVOID DHL AT ALL COSTS!!!!!

"Interesting they charge in dollars, I woulda though baht being the currency of the country they would charge in that.

BTW Ive imported stuff into Thailand with DHL and not seen this charge in either dollars or baht."

They usually charge in THB as they request the payment from the receivee (is there such a word).

I think there is some confusion on this thread between import tax, which can be the unexpected one they won't release until you've paid and extortionate delivery charges that you see up-front.

Perhaps you just happen to have the right first name in Thailand to avoid all charges, being a  Don and all that

4 minutes ago, Megasin1 said:

"Interesting they charge in dollars, I woulda though baht being the currency of the country they would charge in that.

BTW Ive imported stuff into Thailand with DHL and not seen this charge in either dollars or baht."

They usually charge in THB as they request the payment from the receivee (is there such a word).

I think there is some confusion on this thread between import tax, which can be the unexpected one they won't release until you've paid and extortionate delivery charges that you see up-front.

Perhaps you just happen to have the right first name in Thailand to avoid all charges, being a  Don and all that

you've nailed it, its all to do with ones name bwahahaha.

no seriously I know how much will be due before I even make the purchase, the method of how it gets here is irrelevant but some times my stuff arrives unscathed !!

Edited by Don Mega

1 hour ago, ianf said:

DHL is the absolute pits. It's the worse way of having something delivered to Thailand. Two recent experiences:

1) Bike frame from Condor Cycles in London: 75% VAT/duty etc. Then another 10% storage and handling. I refused to pay. Eventually a compromise was negotiated because Condor had words with their DHL agents in the UK. We ended up paying 40% overall.

2) Some cycling shorts from Rapha. They ship "free" from Hong Kong. $129 US; Import costs via DHL? $110. I refused to accept. Told Rapha and they refunded the whole cost. My son then bought these in the UK for me and mailed them to me via Post Office. Shipping about $15. Import? $0

If I order anything from anyone I first check if they use DHL. If they do I try to persuade them to use EMS. If they won't then I cancel order.

DHL have added the discount I received from Condor back onto to the product; they added the UK VAT back on and made the price much higher in that way. They can then charge a fortune for VAT & duty on an enlarged price.

NEXT: Hang Dong Post Office steal mail at their sorting office. I only ever get mail now if it is sent signed for unless it's in an official envelope like a bill or a bank statement. Lost so much stuff over the past couple of years.

AVOID DHL AT ALL COSTS!!!!!

DHL has a valid place in this world, it's for urgent worldwide deliveries.

It's not really supposed to be for people ordering trinkets off the internet but if you are prepared to pay the fees you can use it for whatever you want.

Customs agent services along with VAT and Duty payments made on your behalf cut out a lot of the crap you won't want to deal with but they come at a price.

It's a higher end service with a higher end price attached.

Yes you can.. but... commonly YOU as the consignee don't have the authority to give RTS (return to sender) or abandon instructions.. that usually comes from the shipper.

Also, some counties may impose customs services fees to release an item for re-export without the duty being paid.

The package usually is deemed as "in-bond" once its landed and while it's either in the physical custody of customs or in a customs-approved storage arrangement of UPS/DHL etc..

UPS, etc essentially fronts up an acceptable cash surety bond and under that coverage, customs will physically release most packages to the agent for delivery... and that's part of their brokerage and customs broker fee.

Upon and after delivery, the agent then remits back to customs the duty owed and that package is then released from bond coverage.

If a package is not returned to customs or the corresponding duty paid, then the value may be assessed from the bond plus fines/fees (usually a less formal "bill" is sent to the shopping agent, versus the formal process of making a claim against the bond itself.

If you (the consignee) don't accept the package, depending on the customs rules, the shipper may request it be RTSed back (there is usually a new transportation fee to do so) or authorize "abandon".

Usually items that are abandoned are physically returned to customs with only some minor dutiable document shipments (documents are usually imported under a no-duty status, but some counties classify things like a CD or USB drive with business papers/information on it as a non-dutiable item but it is not a document itself) allowed to be destroyed by the shipping agent - with the appropriate destruction paperwork signed and returned to customs.

Lots of shipments go undeliverable; be that bad assessing or simple refusal.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

3 hours ago, Kerryd said:

I thought you could only refuse a shipment if it was the wrong item, or was damaged upon arrival. Different places have different return policies of course.

I think you're confusing refusing a shipment with returning it to the vendor for a refund.  If the import fees are going to be more than the item is worth to you, you can refuse the shipment (with certain caveats), but that's very different than returning it under the vendor's return policy.

4 minutes ago, impulse said:

I think you're confusing refusing a shipment with returning it to the vendor for a refund.  If the import fees are going to be more than the item is worth to you, you can refuse the shipment (with certain caveats), but that's very different than returning it under the vendor's return policy.

And who pays the return freight  ?

I recently purchased a 3D printer from china and I did not do my homework prior and as it turns out between my 1st 3D printer purchase and this second one Thailand had banned the importation and i was faced with return freight fee's that totaled more than I paid for the thing.

luckily I had a friend make a few phone calls and discovered the bannned list named  which 3d printers and mine was not on it so it was released and delivered .

Edited by Don Mega

17 hours ago, harrry said:

If you refue them they will be sent back eventually and the sender then can recover the charges for handling storage and sending them back from you.

$55 does not seem unreasonable duty and handling and sales tax.  Delaying adds storage at a high rate too.

Importing goods does have customs charges (probably about 50% for that kind of good and you are liable for GST on the total of the Shipping and goods.

Doesnt always get sent back.. I have had stuff just disappear after hitting thai customs.. even tracked and courier.. 

18 hours ago, harrry said:

Actually it doesn't seem reasonable at all to me and I've done a lot of shipping over the years.

I had a shipment discarded a couple of years ago and didn't have to pay anything. But that was only customs fees. I get the impression lately that some, maybe all these carriers are tacking on they're own extra fees and passing them off as customs fees. If that's the case, I think you'll have to pay them.

Some advice. You are unlikely to have to pay any fees on delivery if you have it sent EMS or the equivalent (USPS in the USA). I've shipped more than 50 packages EMS over the years and have only had to pay fees on delivery for 2 of them. It seems that customs just doesn't check a large percentage of EMS packages. But with the carriers such as DHL, UPS, etc. every shipment has customs fees, taxes etc. added on. And you can send USPS with tracking just like UPS etc. and at a lower cost. But it will take somewhat longer. 

2 minutes ago, Dan5 said:

Actually it doesn't seem reasonable at all to me and I've done a lot of shipping over the years.

I had a shipment discarded a couple of years ago and didn't have to pay anything. But that was only customs fees. I get the impression lately that some, maybe all these carriers are tacking on they're own extra fees and passing them off as customs fees. If that's the case, I think you'll have to pay them.

Some advice. You are unlikely to have to pay any fees on delivery if you have it sent EMS or the equivalent (USPS in the USA). I've shipped more than 50 packages EMS over the years and have only had to pay fees on delivery for 2 of them. It seems that customs just doesn't check a large percentage of EMS packages. But with the carriers such as DHL, UPS, etc. every shipment has customs fees, taxes etc. added on. And you can send USPS with tracking just like UPS etc. and at a lower cost. But it will take somewhat longer. 

My guess is that if you looked closely at the charges and maybe questioned DHL, you'd discover that some of the fees are from DHL, not Customs.

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

And who pays the return freight  ?

Technically, the recipient is on the hook for the freight according to the terms of the sale, even if they refuse the shipment.  If it's a big amount, they can come looking for it.  That's the "with certain caveats" part.  On small amounts, the shipper's been paid one way, the vendor is whole because he's been paid, so they just dispose of the items- typically at auctions to defray the unpaid customs paperwork fees (or into the circular file).