BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sipi

Farang who "leave their wallet at home" or otherwise skip the beer round.

I could never skip a shout or otherwise expect others to pay my way. Never could, never will. It is just unethical. 

However, as I wander past some bars with towers of chang being shared amongst friends, I wonder if any of these gents conveniently slip off to the hong naam when it is their turn.

I have heard a few stories over the years, which is why I ask.

Have you ever experienced someone pulling a swifty?

The closest I came was when myself, my wife, her friend and husband went fishing; and as we were packing up the husband "accidentally" put a number of my hand made fishing lures into his tackle box (at 1000 baht a pop). I retrieved them and we haven't gone fishing together since.

Thailand,  sadly is a beacon for free loading users. Balloon chasing Cheap Charlies. Not of any value. Making friends with them is a big mistake. They see generosity as s weakness.

Nick J. Never has a truer word been spoken.  Making friends (or more accurately Acquaintences) with such people can indeed lead you to significant disappointment. I tend to steer well clear of the lot of em! 

4 hours ago, iancnx said:

Nick J. Never has a truer word been spoken.  Making friends (or more accurately Acquaintences) with such people can indeed lead you to significant disappointment. I tend to steer well clear of the lot of em! 

I sense a few examples beyond skipping a round.

This buying rounds is a load of nonsense, If someone only wants to drink two pints and someone else wants ten pints, why should the guy who only drinks two pints, contribute to the guy who wants ten pints?

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

This buying rounds is a load of nonsense, If someone only wants to drink two pints and someone else wants ten pints, why should the guy who only drinks two pints, contribute to the guy who wants ten pints?

Few too many prior to posting. Why not happy newish year. No one does that anyway.

9 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I agree , just go and get your on beer in ,

People drink at different speeds and slow drinkers end up with a few beers on the go, and quick drinkers are usually waiting for everyone else to sip up .

I much refer it when people just go and get their own drink as required

18 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

You're overthinking this.  I'm pretty sure that's not the point of the OP.  He's talking freeloaders. 

5 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

You're overthinking this.  I'm pretty sure that's not the point of the OP.  He's talking freeloaders. 

Your probably right, but buying rounds was mentioned so I just replied,

15 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I agree , just go and get your on beer in ,

People drink at different speeds and slow drinkers end up with a few beers on the go, and quick drinkers are usually waiting for everyone else to sip up .

I much refer it when people just go and get their own drink as required

I'm not a drinker, but I got the reputation of being mean, because I would not buy drink for other people, but working as a professional musician meant that I could not avoid being in the company of drinkers, not that I wanted to, but just wish that some people would have accepted me for what I am.

happy to say i have never had such experiences here, then again, i dont hang around bars or with people who hang around bars.

Actively worrying about splitting the price of a tower of Chang makes you among the lower level of bottom feeders by default. If somebody does this it happens once and if you have any class you ignore it and it ends right there.

I couldn't imagine worrying about who had how many glasses of Chang on a regular basis.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Yes I am talking about the ones who drink half a tower of your beer and then vanish. I don't do bars either but have heard.

There is one chap I do know who turns up at your house at exactly dinner time each night until you tell him to beat it, so he just moves onto someone else. 

One would have to be on the bones of their ass to be buying Chang towers, I can understand their anger if someone drinks half then disappears.

On 12/29/2016 at 3:33 PM, NickJ said:

Thailand,  sadly is a beacon for free loading users. Balloon chasing Cheap Charlies. Not of any value. Making friends with them is a big mistake. They see generosity as s weakness.

Which is one of several reasons to be cautious about farang who are overly eager to "get to know" you, especially if you're a newly arrived farang looking to develop new friendships. Once they've developed a reputation for cadging drinks, food, whatever, they need to be on the lookout for new supply of victims.