Farang who "leave their wallet at home" or otherwise skip the beer round.

sipi

Back in Australia I often drank in "schools" at the pubs, where we all took turns in buying a round of drinks (called a shout..."Hey Mick, it's your shout.") But I've rarely drunk in schools in Thailand, even at the bars with good friends, I have my cup with my bills, my friends have their cups with their bills, so we drink at our own pace. Drinking in schools wouldn't really work well here anyway when some guys are also buying LDs.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, sipi said:

Yes I am talking about the ones who drink half a tower of your beer and then vanish. I don't do bars either but have heard.

There is one chap I do know who turns up at your house at exactly dinner time each night until you tell him to beat it, so he just moves onto someone else. 

When is dinner time among expats in Thailand?

3 hours ago, mamypoko said:

If you want to buy/give/donate, etc. do it because you want to.

Expectations are the problem, not cheap friends.

Happy 2017

I agree.  I will buy a round when I feel like it and would never expect one back, many times I do get one or more back but I think no less of those who didn't as it was my choice not theirs. In fact if I know someone is down on their luck I will tell them to please not feel obligated to buy one back. Yes I do see some freeloaders who depend on this, once I have determined that they are like that I simply don't buy when they are around. I still don't dislike them for it. Life is way too short for pettiness.

When things get quite in a bar,i know a bar owner that will ring the bell,showing his "generosity".I drink his generosity and leave.God knows what is said behind my back.My theory is he pays for beer at cost price and we have to pay the round at retail price.I wont play those games.I am not here to make other farangs rich.

Im not a drinker so if I m out with friends at the bar I pay for my water when it comes  . Never an issue .  Whats fun is going to a resturant with some of the wifes friends  . They grab  the menù  order aĺl kinds of fòod when the bill comes they just sit there looking blank . Not all , we have other friends thai , that will sneak off and pay the bill before it gets to the table.

4 hours ago, crickets said:

there are cheap bastards all over the world. why would it be any different here?

Cheap bastards are fine if that be their chosing, parasites who bleed others are not.

Edit, helping others in need can also be a blessing.

I have a core group of about 20 friends here in Bangkok who I drink with on a regular basis.  We regularly lend each other extra cash, or just buy beers for each other if we are out and one of us runs short.

My finances have been a bit tight for the past couple of months and yet my friends still call me several nights a week to go out with them.   Because of my current situation, they know I'm limiting myself to under 2000 baht each night, so they just pay for my drinks once I hit my spending limit.

We also lend each other things and do things to help each other out.   It's called being friends.  

2 hours ago, TSF said:

Back in Australia I often drank in "schools" at the pubs, where we all took turns in buying a round of drinks (called a shout..."Hey Mick, it's your shout.") But I've rarely drunk in schools in Thailand, even at the bars with good friends, I have my cup with my bills, my friends have their cups with their bills, so we drink at our own pace. Drinking in schools wouldn't really work well here anyway when some guys are also buying LDs.

We buy rounds for each other, but we pay for our own lady drinks.  Works well.  

2 minutes ago, seancbk said:

I have a core group of about 20 friends here in Bangkok who I drink with on a regular basis.  We regularly lend each other extra cash, or just buy beers for each other if we are out and one of us runs short.

My finances have been a bit tight for the past couple of months and yet my friends still call me several nights a week to go out with them.   Because of my current situation, they know I'm limiting myself to under 2000 baht each night, so they just pay for my drinks once I hit my spending limit.

We also lend each other things and do things to help each other out.   It's called being friends.  

Oh yes we all have plenty of those.

The freeloader stands out in a crowd.

Just now, sipi said:
4 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Oh yes we all have plenty of those.

The freeloader stands out in a crowd.

A friend is never a freeloader.    Only casual acquaintance can be termed a freeloader.   Real friends are real friends no matter what situation they find themselves in.

If you have someone who's has been your friend for 20 years but who has started to have cash flow problems, would you start calling him a freeloader or simply help him out by paying for him to keep enjoying nights out with you? 

In my case I've been on both sides of the situation.  When I was very rich I had one or two friends who went through lean times, I never abandoned them, and years later when they got back on their feet they made it up to me.    Now that my financial situation is a bit rough I'm enjoying the generosity of a couple of mates who have successful businesses.  They know that when my situation turns around I'll make it up to them.

I think the blokes talking about other people being freeloaders are either talking about guys they've only know in Thailand for a few months (in which case they are not real friends) or they are older blokes who don't think about what they and their mates will be doing in the next 10 years.   

We have plenty of freeloaders in Samui...take the bar having a party,food etc...watch them turn up "eat like a f....ing horse & piss off"

Happens on a pool night also some teams give "free food" to the teams competing ...up come the "supporters" scoff the lot never buy a drink & gone....then there's  the quiz nights...50bht for food..1st in que plate full of food...then around for 2nds,3rds ...prob had abt 200/250bht of food....they know who they are,just hope they are reading this

This drinking in rounds is a bit new to me. I don't like it so I don't participate. Hard to make friends or acquaintances when you turn down rounds and buy your own and drink at your own pace. I've had UK types that seem insulted that I don't want people buying me my drinks. I was taught that if you don't buy your own then you shouldn't be drinking at all. Sometimes I think the bar owners frown on you too because that is a drink they didn't sell.

That's it keep it coming get it out your system before the new year starts. I came across a happy chap on the islands who seemed a bit well to do but this guy was the ultimate freeloader and wore a dress permanently and managed to get free rent/food/beer by offering to help out where he could. The very convincing ladyboy who gave him a room was not so hospitable once he realised she was a he.

1 hour ago, BB1955 said:

.  Whats fun is going to a resturant with some of the wifes friends  . They grab  the menù  order aĺl kinds of fòod when the bill comes they just sit there looking blank . Not all , we have other friends thai , that will sneak off and pay the bill before it gets to the table.

lol been there a few times. when the bill comes I whip out me phone and tally my drinks, the wifes drinks and what ever food we ordered. I chuck that total into the  pot and all the Thai's give me death stares !!

2 hours ago, Basil H J Hughes said:

It the young ladies that annoy me -- Want to borrow money - I know no chance of them paying back- who get very annoyed when I say I do not lend money - I will give you money when you take your cloths off

Cloths? As in loincloths? In which part of the jungle do you live?

21 hours ago, possum1931 said:

This buying rounds is a load of nonsense, If someone only wants to drink two pints and someone else wants ten pints, why should the guy who only drinks two pints, contribute to the guy who wants ten pints?

If you are not man enough to pay for a round--whatever the reason--then step out of the round and don't take the free drink. It's that easy.

There are not-so-nice names for those who renege on a round--a kinder one is that cheapies'  disease, Shell-out Falter; you know, those afflicted with short-arms and deep pockets.

4 hours ago, TSF said:

You either all buy ladies' drinks with every round or separate the ladies' drinks from the men's--that should not be a problem.

Some men like to buy a round as a courtesy to the bar-owner, or as a sign of financial solvency, or simply one-upmanship over the other punters; others do so just to be nice. Many do not care if their shouts are reciprocated; those who do need to be careful of who is present before they make the shout.

There are far too many low-lifes about who are more than willing to let someone else pay their way through life. 

21 minutes ago, smotherb said:

If you are not man enough to pay for a round--whatever the reason--then step out of the round and don't take the free drink. It's that easy.

There are not-so-nice names for those who renege on a round--a kinder one is that cheapies'  disease, Shell-out Falter; you know, those afflicted with short-arms and deep pockets.

Yes, I agree with everything you say. If someone only wants to drink say two pints, he should tell the company he is in and buy his own. If anyone in the company objects, then he is not worth knowing.

Buy your own or just keep your own bill pot (depends on payment system where you drink).

Rounds is a daft tradition and as far as I know is likely only perused by those that drink together regularly here, which gives it chance to even out if everybody gets his shout.

I was glad to get away from it as it tends to either speed you up or slow you down depending on the company and other circumstances.

Also beware of some of the "clicky" bars where they ring the bell all the time.

On Thursday, December 29, 2016 at 7:33 PM, NickJ said:

Thailand,  sadly is a beacon for free loading users. Balloon chasing Cheap Charlies. Not of any value. Making friends with them is a big mistake. They see generosity as s weakness.

Exactly what I said elsewhere.  It's like the Sargasso Sea....the Trash of the Atlsantic gravitates there.

There Is a small percentage of decent people, the rest are pretenders.

Unable to edit typos.

On Saturday, December 31, 2016 at 2:42 AM, anotheruser said:

Actively worrying about splitting the price of a tower of Chang makes you among the lower level of bottom feeders by default. If somebody does this it happens once and if you have any class you ignore it and it ends right there.

I couldn't imagine worrying about who had how many glasses of Chang on a regular basis.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Once??  OK.  but It's the repeat offenders the OP Is writing of.

Archived