BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sipi

Farang who "leave their wallet at home" or otherwise skip the beer round.

Back in Australia I often drank in "schools" at the pubs, where we all took turns in buying a round of drinks (called a shout..."Hey Mick, it's your shout.") But I've rarely drunk in schools in Thailand, even at the bars with good friends, I have my cup with my bills, my friends have their cups with their bills, so we drink at our own pace. Drinking in schools wouldn't really work well here anyway when some guys are also buying LDs.

9 hours ago, sipi said:

Yes I am talking about the ones who drink half a tower of your beer and then vanish. I don't do bars either but have heard.

There is one chap I do know who turns up at your house at exactly dinner time each night until you tell him to beat it, so he just moves onto someone else. 

When is dinner time among expats in Thailand?

I would never Welch on paying my fair share. It would be truly embarrassing to me. That said I have occasionally forgot my wallet at home so I would send my tgf to go fetch it for me.

3 hours ago, mamypoko said:

If you want to buy/give/donate, etc. do it because you want to.

Expectations are the problem, not cheap friends.

Happy 2017

I agree.  I will buy a round when I feel like it and would never expect one back, many times I do get one or more back but I think no less of those who didn't as it was my choice not theirs. In fact if I know someone is down on their luck I will tell them to please not feel obligated to buy one back. Yes I do see some freeloaders who depend on this, once I have determined that they are like that I simply don't buy when they are around. I still don't dislike them for it. Life is way too short for pettiness.

29 minutes ago, TulipBulb said:

When is dinner time among expats in Thailand?

For me, it's around 6 pm at home.

17 hours ago, samsensam said:

happy to say i have never had such experiences here, then again, i dont hang around bars or with people who hang around bars.

sorry to hear about your symptoms.

You can get help for that.

It the young ladies that annoy me -- Want to borrow money - I know no chance of them paying back- who get very annoyed when I say I do not lend money - I will give you money when you take your cloths off

When things get quite in a bar,i know a bar owner that will ring the bell,showing his "generosity".I drink his generosity and leave.God knows what is said behind my back.My theory is he pays for beer at cost price and we have to pay the round at retail price.I wont play those games.I am not here to make other farangs rich.

Im not a drinker so if I m out with friends at the bar I pay for my water when it comes  . Never an issue .  Whats fun is going to a resturant with some of the wifes friends  . They grab  the menù  order aĺl kinds of fòod when the bill comes they just sit there looking blank . Not all , we have other friends thai , that will sneak off and pay the bill before it gets to the table.

Pattaya is full of spongers. It doesn,t take long to spot them and when you buy drinks for friends just make sure the waitress knows that the sponger is NOT included. They soon get the message and find another bar.

18 hours ago, samsensam said:

happy to say i have never had such experiences here, then again, i dont hang around bars or with people who hang around bars.

yes theirs a lot more to life than propping up beer bars all day and night.

4 hours ago, crickets said:

there are cheap bastards all over the world. why would it be any different here?

Cheap bastards are fine if that be their chosing, parasites who bleed others are not.

Edit, helping others in need can also be a blessing.

I have a core group of about 20 friends here in Bangkok who I drink with on a regular basis.  We regularly lend each other extra cash, or just buy beers for each other if we are out and one of us runs short.

My finances have been a bit tight for the past couple of months and yet my friends still call me several nights a week to go out with them.   Because of my current situation, they know I'm limiting myself to under 2000 baht each night, so they just pay for my drinks once I hit my spending limit.

We also lend each other things and do things to help each other out.   It's called being friends.  

2 hours ago, TSF said:

Back in Australia I often drank in "schools" at the pubs, where we all took turns in buying a round of drinks (called a shout..."Hey Mick, it's your shout.") But I've rarely drunk in schools in Thailand, even at the bars with good friends, I have my cup with my bills, my friends have their cups with their bills, so we drink at our own pace. Drinking in schools wouldn't really work well here anyway when some guys are also buying LDs.

We buy rounds for each other, but we pay for our own lady drinks.  Works well.