Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

Farang who "leave their wallet at home" or otherwise skip the beer round.


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there are a lot of the cheap c..ts we call them here in Phuket ....

 

best solution we use is always make them buy the first round, watch how they stay until it comes back to

their turn to buy the second round then say ok we all had enough lets go...

 

we weeded the ones out especially from the golf club ... when someone wins generally the money stays on the table and

we drink it until finished the winnings .... the cheap guys put in their pocket and leave .... but watch when they don't win 

and they stay around the next week to drink all the winnings ... we keep a close eye on this and put them to shame .....

 

you need to have a thick skin in our group ......

 

happy new year to everyone and a prosperous 2017 for all xxx

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2016 at 10:42 PM, anotheruser said:

 


Actively worrying about splitting the price of a tower of Chang makes you among the lower level of bottom feeders by default. If somebody does this it happens once and if you have any class you ignore it and it ends right there.

I couldn't imagine worrying about who had how many glasses of Chang on a regular basis.


Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Splitting a bill is not the same as buying rounds, but I certainly agree worrying about how many glasses of Chang has been drunk would never be a concern of mine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Buy your own or just keep your own bill pot (depends on payment system where you drink).

Rounds is a daft tradition and as far as I know is likely only perused by those that drink together regularly here, which gives it chance to even out if everybody gets his shout.

I was glad to get away from it as it tends to either speed you up or slow you down depending on the company and other circumstances.

Also beware of some of the "clicky" bars where they ring the bell all the time.

 

Yeah, I think you hit it on the head. I frequent an expat bar area in a non-tourist town in the South--the expats are local residents, many O&G rotation workers. Buying rounds is quite the norm in these bars, but everybody knows each other. Some of the bar maids even know which punters are not included in rounds.

 

Did you ever notice how girls seem to come out of the woodwork when you ring a bell? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Many years ago when I used to drink in Washington Square you could tell which bars had a party on that night. And sure as eggs is eggs there would be people there who you only ever saw at other bars where there was a party going on enjoying themselves at somebody elses expense.

 

They would also be around the bars on a darts night for the free food.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah noticed that quite a few farangs aren't generous, even the ones who act rich.
Had that with a musician I met a few yrs back. Tight as a snake. Then the bf of a girl I know. Literally paid for everything the 2 days I was with them
There are exceptions inc a nice couple I met through TV

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, sipi said:

I have known personally of a character who used to turn up at funerals for a feed. Not good.

Don't know that I agree necessarily. I know of a student in a First World country who turns up at various local food courts during busy periods and feasts on what people don't eat and leave behind when they depart. Gate-crashing "gala" openings even larger company gatherings and having a free feed is a popular pastime in some circles. Then there's the whole "freegan" movement - collecting food "waste" from bins outside supermarkets where the food has reached its "use by" date. A senior friend at home always buys reduced-price goods from his local supermarket, never paying full price for anything, because it is perishable food they will otherwise throw away

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

Don't know that I agree necessarily. I know of a student in a First World country who turns up at various local food courts during busy periods and feasts on what people don't eat and leave behind when they depart. Gate-crashing "gala" openings even larger company gatherings and having a free feed is a popular pastime in some circles. Then there's the whole "freegan" movement - collecting food "waste" from bins outside supermarkets where the food has reached its "use by" date. A senior friend at home always buys reduced-price goods from his local supermarket, never paying full price for anything, because it is perishable food they will otherwise throw away

Each to their own, but a funeral with food paid for by the mourning family?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

Most such gatherings are over-catered. What would you prefer - that the excess be thrown away?

Yep, but that is me.

Or given to the needy, after the funeral.

I guess 3 funerals a day is all they need.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, smotherb said:

There are far too many low-lifes about who are more than willing to let someone else pay their way through life. 

Apparently rich people often have their drinks bought for them either by those who want to prove they're just as good or they want a favor, either specifically or by way of sucking up. Human nature's an odd thing

Link to post
Share on other sites

A few years back my wife and I had tickets to a gala performance at the Sydney Opera House worth several hundred dollars. My wife became ill so I took the tickets to the opera house and saw two well dressed tourists from Europe taking photos. I asked them if they wanted to attend, which they did, so obviously I gave them the tickets. Their eyes popped out and I never saw them again.

Of course we all have stories like that and it makes perfect sense.

But that isn't what the op is about.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

Apparently rich people often have their drinks bought for them either by those who want to prove they're just as good or they want a favor, either specifically or by way of sucking up. Human nature's an odd thing

There is a big difference between expecting someone to buy you a drink for nothing and buying someone a drink and expecting something.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, smotherb said:

There is a big difference between expecting someone to buy you a drink for nothing and buying someone a drink and expecting something.

If only human motives were that easy to decipher. Sometimes it's not a binary choice. Life's complicated.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

If only human motives were that easy to decipher. Sometimes it's not a binary choice. Life's complicated.

 

5 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

If only human motives were that easy to decipher. Sometimes it's not a binary choice. Life's complicated.

Ah, it seems you are still mislead. Whether or not rich people have drinks bought for them was not the topic of this forum and the digital age seems to have proven everything has a binary representation,

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, billd766 said:

Many years ago when I used to drink in Washington Square you could tell which bars had a party on that night. And sure as eggs is eggs there would be people there who you only ever saw at other bars where there was a party going on enjoying themselves at somebody elses expense.

 

They would also be around the bars on a darts night for the free food.

Yeah, that fairly well describes the English teachers around here. A bar will throw a party and have free food; teachers who seldom frequent the bar will pack the place and are the first and last to attack the free food.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Loads of freeloaders around. Plenty on Pattaya. Was sat with friends 6 of us around a table in bar. Suddenly noticed a guy sat at the very next table telling the waitress to put the chit for his drinks in our pot. Needless to say it didn't go in and on looking through bin noticed he had slipped in two more which he promptly got back. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

Apparently rich people often have their drinks bought for them either by those who want to prove they're just as good or they want a favor, either specifically or by way of sucking up. Human nature's an odd thing


Nothing surprising in that.   For a few year I drank regularly in a bar in Hong Kong and could drink as many standard drinks or shots as I wanted (including buying drinks for other people), yet not pay for them as I had a deal with the bar owners that I would bring people in.   

Celebrities don't pay for the clothes and jewelry they wear to gala events, it's all paid for by the designers to get media attention. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, it is unbelievable how cheap some people can be. A friend of mine opened a little bar and grille and offered good food and drinks at very reasonable prices. Many on-the-cheap expats frequented the place; some brought their own bottles of spirits, Thai-style. Then, would smuggle in their own mixers and even ask for glasses of ice, rather than paying for a bucket.  The killer was when they started bringing in food off the street and just using his music, a/c, tables and chairs, toilet facilities and condiments.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...