Chinese tourists drive off the hillside after renting car at the airport

webfact

9 hours ago, futsukayoi said:

Not sure what your point is.  I havn't been asked for a license when renting a car so I am sure some people rent without. However, most Chinese I know have a car license and the requirements for getting one are definitely stricter than in Thailand.

My point is---before you can rent a car you should have a valid drivers license! in the civilized world this is ALWAYS required! 

I have driven (well been driven) a lot in China over the years and it can be a bit hairy.  However the roads are usually straight and level and unless you live is a particularly mountainous area you will be unfamiliar with winding hilly roads.  These days most young Chinese have driving licences whether obtained legally or through the usual Thai way, I.O.W the back door.

2 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Why indeed.

do_i_need_an_international_driver_s_licence_in_thailand_-_Google_Search_-_2016-12-30_18.33.34.png

This subject comes up regularly.  Renting a car without an IDP is not the problem The difficulty arises if there is an accident,  as often insurance does not cover the driver.  Typically my insurance requires me to have an IDP and rent from a licensed hire company i.e. a proper hire company not the guesthouse owners brother that wants to make a bit on the side.

45 minutes ago, Mousehound said:

This subject comes up regularly.  Renting a car without an IDP is not the problem The difficulty arises if there is an accident,  as often insurance does not cover the driver.  Typically my insurance requires me to have an IDP and rent from a licensed hire company i.e. a proper hire company not the guesthouse owners brother that wants to make a bit on the side.

Agreed. Making sure that you comply with the conditions on your insurance policy is most important.

I was just pointing out the actual law regarding drivers licenses and IDP's.

http://www.adcidl.com/countries-convention-of-road-traffic-1949.html

and

http://driving-in-thailand.com/motor-vehicle-act/#03

(See section 42(2))

12 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Why indeed.

do_i_need_an_international_driver_s_licence_in_thailand_-_Google_Search_-_2016-12-30_18.33.34.png

I doubt China has signed that treaty since foreigners aren't allowed to drive in China without a Chinese DL- even with an IDP.  Or maybe it's another agreement they have signed, but don't honor.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

I doubt China has signed that treaty since foreigners aren't allowed to drive in China without a Chinese DL- even with an IDP.  Or maybe it's another agreement they have signed, but don't honor.

Correct.

In post #48 I posted a link to a list of the countries which signed the treaty. Thailand is one.

16 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Agreed. Making sure that you comply with the conditions on your insurance policy is most important.

I was just pointing out the actual law regarding drivers licenses and IDP's.

http://www.adcidl.com/countries-convention-of-road-traffic-1949.html

and

http://driving-in-thailand.com/motor-vehicle-act/#03

(See section 42(2))

have a look at section 43 point 10.  This talks about IDPs.   These sections also talk about mutual agreements between countries.  The problem with a very old agreement is that it may well have been superseded. 

1 hour ago, Mousehound said:

have a look at section 43 point 10.  This talks about IDPs.   These sections also talk about mutual agreements between countries.  The problem with a very old agreement is that it may well have been superseded. 

The 1949 agreement is still valid, and is quoted on a number of Automobile Club websites (the Clubs which are authorised to issue IDP's - e.g. The AA in the UK).

Section 43 of the (Thailand) Motor Vehicle Act 2522 (1979) refers to the types of licence which are available in Thailand. If you have a Thai drivers licence you MAY need an IDP to drive in another country.

Archived