Chiang Rai to Impose Strictly Enforced Burning Ban from February to April

webfact

Chiang Rai to Impose Strictly Enforced Burning Ban from February to April

CHIANG RAI – The Governor of Chiang Rai Province has visited the districts of Wiang Pa Pao and Mae Suai to hand down wildfire prevention policy to local administrators and community leaders.

Governor Boonsong Techamaneesatit asked local administrative organizations and community leaders to relay the policy to local residents, so that the problems of wildfire and smog can be solved efficiently.

The provincial administration has planned to impose a 60-day ban on burning activities from February 17th to April 17th, during which environmental laws will be strictly enforced.

Full story: http://www.chiangraitimes.com/chiang-rai-to-impose-strictly-enforced-burning-ban-from-february-to-april.html

changraitimes_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Chiang Rai Times 2016-12-30

They definitely stopped burning in my area last year during the banned period. Unfortunately many other areas burned without restraint - particularly Lampang. Also Burma and Laos burn enough to cover the north on their own. Then after the banned period, our locals got out their lighters and we got an extended burning period.

It seems to me that unless there is some kind of unilateral agreement and enforcement these regional bans are just more smoke.

The only good news is people seem to be moving away from growing corn, as the price is very low

I was driving down Sukhumvit here in Pattaya a week ago.  Came to a spot where you could barely see across the road there was so much smoke.  Guess what?  It was the police station burning a pile of stuff.  Right on the side of the road and almost totally obscuring visibility.  Really smart....

They have been burning a lot recently in our area at least.  It is mainly in the evening but it doesn't linger for the most part. It does stay very close to the ground which means you smell it and feel the effects while making a pretty picture.  When it gets bad those mountain disappear from sight and you can no longer tell where the burning is coming from.

Smoke+ - 1 (1).jpg

To little-to late

The rice is harvested and the burning's in full swing right now

Clouds of smoke in every direction

Same thing every year-no one pays any attention

A waste-the paddy fields would be improved if they would just plow the stalks back in ,instead of burning

9 minutes ago, bbudd said:

To little-to late

The rice is harvested and the burning's in full swing right now

Clouds of smoke in every direction

Same thing every year-no one pays any attention

A waste-the paddy fields would be improved if they would just plow the stalks back in ,instead of burning

I agree but it is hard to plow on the mountain sides where most of the burning seems to be. 

1 hour ago, morocco said:

I agree but it is hard to plow on the mountain sides where most of the burning seems to be. 

Actually that's where it gets out of control pretty often - ending up in the news -  but burning sure happens in any kind of terrain.

It's just easier to burn than to plow it under which, yes, of course, would significantly increase soil structure and fertility ... but then there are plenty of artificial fertilizers, so why bother ...

Only strict enforcement of existing laws would get anything going in that matter, if you're planning to hold your breath there make sure your will is sorted ;-) 

But there's another problem i can tell you from personal experience: big parts of the north & north-east usually do not get enough or even any rain worth mentioning for the better part of at least December to mid of March, meaning once the initially pretty heavy morning dew comes to an end - which is right about now - ROTTING stops too!

I'm only talking about modest gardening where i have to 'water' a pile of compost regularly during this season to continue intended decay, so i guess it's even worse out on the fields ...

On the bright side, I took some great photo's of a setting sun once in all the smoke

Too bad I had trouble breathing for the next couple of days

Alas burning is all these people in South East Asia know, same as a neighbour of mine when I lived in Aus  :sad:

6 hours ago, Thechook said:

They have this ban every year but the burning continues.

I believe that is was only last year when they banned the burnings around CM/CR

And its was enforced .

Many of the fields went unburnt and there was also enforcement officers out and about looking for burning fields .

There was also the fire brigade out extinguishing any burning fields .

Some fields did get burnt, but most of then didnt 

6 hours ago, Thechook said:

They have this ban every year but the burning continues.

I believe that is was only last year when they banned the burnings around CM/CR

And its was enforced .

Many of the fields went unburnt and there was also enforcement officers out and about looking for burning fields .

There was also the fire brigade out extinguishing any burning fields .

Some fields did get burnt, but most of then didnt 

Just now, fish monger said:

Censor me if you will, but I live in Chiang Rai, and I say BULLSHIT...! And my doctor exclaimed that, "Mr. Davis, your environment is not healthy for you"....! Photo from last Jan. 10th. They are going to do NOTHING...!

1452264831086.jpg

You were there in hospital, I was about and about in CM/CR and there were hardly any fields getting burnt at all last year

7 minutes ago, sanemax said:

You were there in hospital, I was about and about in CM/CR and there were hardly any fields getting burnt at all last year

Then you need glasses...There happened to be a rice field on fire a kilometer from the hospital, as I was being discharged...There is a massive rice field in front of my house in Phan that is burned twice a year...Don't tell me ANYTHING SPORT...! Then we have the rice plants that burn six times a day...This one is in back of my house...! You know nothing...!

3431_479746922072720_417155644_n.jpg

7 minutes ago, fish monger said:

Then you need glasses...There happened to be a rice field on fire a kilometer from the hospital, as I was being discharged...There is a massive rice field in front of my house in Phan that is burned twice a year...Don't tell me ANYTHING SPORT...! Then we have the rice plants that burn six times a day...This one is in back of my house...! You know nothing...! Better photo below...!  Six days a week...!

10459924_796170157097060_6186484816894130072_n.jpg

3 minutes ago, fish monger said:

Then you need glasses...There happened to be a rice field on fire a kilometer from the hospital, as I was being discharged...There is a massive rice field in front of my house in Phan that is burned twice a year...Don't tell me ANYTHING SPORT...! Then we have the rice plants that burn six times a day...This one is in back of my house...! You know nothing...!

I know nothing ?

That photo above doesnt look like a field being burnt , due to the smoke its looks more like a bonfire .

I traveled quite extensively around the area at the time of the burning ban and most of the fields that normally get burnt had not been burnt , last year .

There were some fields that were indeed burnt , but the authorities were investigating to whom the fields belonged to and they were large teams putting burning fields out , extinguishing the flames

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I know nothing ?

That photo above doesnt look like a field being burnt , due to the smoke its looks more like a bonfire .

I traveled quite extensively around the area at the time of the burning ban and most of the fields that normally get burnt had not been burnt , last year .

There were some fields that were indeed burnt , but the authorities were investigating to whom the fields belonged to and they were large teams putting burning fields out , extinguishing the flames

Try a smoke stack...I told you, you need glasses.......Look at the other photo I posted...!

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

We are talking about fields being burnt , we arent talking about general polluting chimneys 

Excuse me, but smoke is smoke....! I can post photos of burning fields all day long...! And roadside burning by town workers themselves...!

1 minute ago, fish monger said:

Excuse me, but smoke is smoke....! I can post photos of burning fields all day long...! And roadside burning by town workers themselves...!

Yes, but this thread is about the burning of fields, it isnt about factories with smokey chimmeys

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

Really? Watch the vid on http://www.chiangmaiexpatsclub.com/burning-season-chiang-mai-presentation/   then, as they're clearly talking (& showing) about March '16 ...?!

Archived