Fury over diver’s vandalism of coral in Similan

webfact

Fury over diver’s vandalism of coral in Similan
By THE NATION

cor.jpg

Photo from : www.kapook.com

BANGKOK: -- LOCAL RESIDENTS have called on authorities to get stricter with dive operators after Korean letters were found inscribed on a coral skeleton off the Similan Islands in Phang Nga province.

The vandalised lesser-brain coral, or leptoria phrygia, was found at a depth of 20 metres and west of the Similan Islands. 

Three large Korean characters were found inscribed on the coral, reading “Park Yong-soo”, which appears to be a person’s name. 

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30303142

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-12-30

Three large Korean characters were found inscribed on the coral, reading “Park Yong-soo”, which appears to be a person’s name. 

I hate to state the obvious, but have they checked that name with Korean people who visited LOS yet, especially those who paid to go diving?

Strange ( and too bad ) that there were no 'farang' dive Instructors ( like me ) around that saw this...   around this time of year, it can get busy around the Similan Islands. I have seen many Asian divers in the water, and many times I had to pull them out of the reef, because of very poor diving skills. But this deliberate damage really takes the cake.

8 hours ago, hanssna said:

Strange ( and too bad ) that there were no 'farang' dive Instructors ( like me ) around that saw this...   around this time of year, it can get busy around the Similan Islands. I have seen many Asian divers in the water, and many times I had to pull them out of the reef, because of very poor diving skills. But this deliberate damage really takes the cake.

As a dive instructor, perhaps you can tell me if the coral in the photo looks healthy or not. To me it looks pretty dead and lifeless, including the sea around it, but maybe that is how much of the Similan coral reef looks these days? And on a connected note, has the Similans been affected much by coral bleaching or die-off from ocean acidification, as with the northern Great Barrier Reef and many other reefs, so I understand? In other words, discounting idiots scratching their names on the reef, how does it match up as a dive site these days, compared to other coral reefs in SE Asia?

4 hours ago, plachon said:

As a dive instructor, perhaps you can tell me if the coral in the photo looks healthy or not. To me it looks pretty dead and lifeless, including the sea around it, but maybe that is how much of the Similan coral reef looks these days? And on a connected note, has the Similans been affected much by coral bleaching or die-off from ocean acidification, as with the northern Great Barrier Reef and many other reefs, so I understand? In other words, discounting idiots scratching their names on the reef, how does it match up as a dive site these days, compared to other coral reefs in SE Asia?

I've not been in a few years, but the Similan's is an amazing dive area.  Pristine and full of sea life.  I've been all over the world diving and it was really good.  Live aboards are the way to go.  I've not been there in several years though...

Yes, that coral looks healthy, and it is impossible to see enough of the sea behind it to say anything about how healthy that looks.
In general similans etc. can not stand up to e.g. Raja Ampat, but offers still very nice diving. The Andaman sea in general offers the best diving Thailand has to offer, with some really nice divesites and is definitely worth it.

Sent from my ROBBY using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Archived