Police conclude foreign diver slit own throat

Rimmer

13 hours ago, CarlBkk said:

I would also like to add that his Line message was legit. That is how Tom wrote and those same sentiments he verbally expressed to a few of his friends. 

Condolences carl... and other readers that may know Tom... from your description, it seems like a good friend lost.

im curious though.... did the RTP talk to any of his expat friends, that you know, as the man you describe does not sound suicidal, albeit true that we cannot tell what was really in his mind.

i ask this simply because I kind of agree with his sentiment ( regards not growing so old as to be decrepit), but doing the deed, is still many many years away, so my death, if sudden like and a suicide.... would not be one, and I therefore wonder at the thoroughness of the police in investigating (as in contacting his friends and associates) vs guesstimating.  

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/30/2016 at 0:28 PM, thequietman said:

So he tied himself to a pole?

What about this for a suggestion;

Some one else tied him to the pole, then cut his throat.

They took his phone and cards and sent the message and transferred the money via ATM.

Wife was suitably far away when it happened. Perfect alibi.

Does this make more sense or am I just unnaturally suspicious when living here.

i think you are right thequitman but they have close the case why?

6 minutes ago, drummer boy said:

i think you are right thequitman but they have close the case why?

no budget for lengthy western style murder investigations probably!

especially if it's a death of a foreigner.

they are fast to rule  them "unsolved case"

The mighty brains of the BIB at work again. :neus: One wonders just how many murderers are roaming free thanks to the old suicide standby. Anybody remember the classic one where a bloke was found in a khlong I think. Head bashed in, bag tied around his head. Only one conclusion really. SUICIDE.

51 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Condolences carl... and other readers that may know Tom... from your description, it seems like a good friend lost.

im curious though.... did the RTP talk to any of his expat friends, that you know, as the man you describe does not sound suicidal, albeit true that we cannot tell what was really in his mind.

i ask this simply because I kind of agree with his sentiment ( regards not growing so old as to be decrepit), but doing the deed, is still many many years away, so my death, if sudden like and a suicide.... would not be one, and I therefore wonder at the thoroughness of the police in investigating (as in contacting his friends and associates) vs guesstimating.  

Hi, no the police have not contacted myself or any other friends. Only his wife as far as i know. Tom had no children. She attended the funeral together with his sports club friends yesterday.

3 hours ago, CarlBkk said:

Hi, no the police have not contacted myself or any other friends. Only his wife as far as i know. Tom had no children. She attended the funeral together with his sports club friends yesterday.

Thats a pity.... I was hoping for some indication that an investigation of substance, may have followed this bizarre death.

i know, leaving no stone unturned, isn't really on the cards, but if relying largely on the wife's message app as evidence, then that's pretty average.... especially with the added bit of leaving her, to tell the family back home, that he would be out of contact.

if my partner sent me a message such as has been described, I would have been on the next thing smoking, to get my ass back home, to find out what was up with my missus.

im inclined to view the text messages as more damning than the physical evidence,

On 12/31/2016 at 6:10 AM, CarlBkk said:

I am going to disappoint the mind-drama of the conspiracy theorists on this forum. As i said in the other thread, myself and about 20 other Thais/Expats knew Tom for quite a while. He was lively, clever, friendly, fit and a very very young 52 year old. He wasn't rich nor did he have financial problems. He was fairly clean living after retiring here several years prior.

Tom decided a long time ago that he didn't want to grow old, decrepid and ill. He told a few of his closer friends that he would end his life at his peak and he had no issues with his wife who he lived with in Bangkok. To one person he even talked about this chosen method. None of us really thought much of it because he was always very self-assured and seemed happy on the outside. It came as a shock to us all that he actually followed through with it in that way, and this soon.

His plan was to leave unannounced, which he did, enjoy the surrounding nature (diving) and do the deed with the hope people wouldn't be disturbed by finding his body (hence tying his backpack to a buoy off the coast). He was closed about his feelings and closed about any problems. Tom could be your friend who appears always happy on the outside but is fighting battles on the inside. Yes, Tom's method seemed very unorthodox to all of us too...but apparently he researched it and decided upon it. 

Despite the Thai police's careless reputation, in this case they are correct. It was suicide.

A nice story but hard to believe.  Jim Brown left the  NFL while he was still healthy and arguably near his peak, as did Barry Sanders, but leaving a sport is far different from leaving life.  Was he really financially fit or was he living a lie and things were about to catch up with him?  Killing oneself at 52 while healthy and fit in order to avoid growing old doesn't mesh. If the man really did believe that and did kill himself, then his perception of reality was way off and he did indeed have some mental issues.

15 minutes ago, pommy pete said:

A few years ago we had a guy who waded into the surf with a shotgun to end it all, he did it so the gun would be dropped into the sea and not leave a mess for his family to find

Much easier to get drunk then just wade into the sea and drown. That way they won't even know it's a suicide

Archived