Police conclude foreign diver slit own throat

Rimmer

3 hours ago, thedemon said:

One think is for certain. Whoever wrote that goodbye note is a fluent English speaker. Almost certainly a native speaker.

Google translated from Thai? No way.

Do you know what?

When I read it,  I thought that is second language English. Not foreign language English but second language. Grammar and spelling correct but the choice of words didn't ring true. So fluent speaker, yes, but native speaker, not sure.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(the wife) produced for police a note sent to her via the Line messaging app that appeared to be a goodbye letter from her husband.

So presumably it would be on his phone, with the date, to corroborate her story? Have the police got his phone and have they checked?

Lots still to think about on this newly closed case:

- What were the currents like at the time he supposedly swam out to the pole, strong? Was it day or night?

- Does the phone data confirm time, location, and devices used for the sent messages and bank transfers?

- How do you cut your throat with a flimsy cutter, then still have sense enough to retract the blade before letting it drop in the water?

- Does the cut angle and pattern support that he cut his own throat? Does it match the cutter?

- Was he right or left handed, and was the cut made in the same direction?

- If you do an entire reenactment, including knots used, currents, swimming, tying, cutting, is anything an impossibility?

- No insurance pays out on a suicide.

6 hours ago, daveAustin said:

As soon as you read "Police conclude... " blah blah blah in Thailand you know something is up. I mean what a bunch of ******s. Not even they are that stoopid, which all points to going the suicide route so it doesn't give the country 'bad image' and tourists don't worry. F*** a doodle do, IT'S THE WIFE!!!!!

and dont forget the police officer who concluded suicide he gets 50% also , honestly why bother going to all the trouble of getting a wet suit on and going down with the fish , he could have laid on the bed and slit his own throat , i bet the village family have got new pick up trucks now or maybe the wife has started a scuba diving business up, ready for the next one NEXT !  

7 hours ago, TVGerry said:

He slit his own throat?

Come on!! Well it's possible and has probably been done before, how likely a scenario is that?

I have a friend who worked in the mental health field in washington state he said people there tried suicide with a safety pin also tried to beat themselves to death with a phone, so anything is possible

2 hours ago, Foexie said:

like i wrote a few days ago on the other post: how stupid you would be as a murderer to make sure they will find the body ! I would make more sence if they have undressed him, tied a weight around him and made him dissapear to the bottom of the sea, kms away from the coast instead of taking a risk being seen tie him to a pole so nearby

No body no proof no crime

If a murder !!!!!!

7 hours ago, thequietman said:

So he tied himself to a pole?

What about this for a suggestion;

Some one else tied him to the pole, then cut his throat.

They took his phone and cards and sent the message and transferred the money via ATM.

Wife was suitably far away when it happened. Perfect alibi.

Does this make more sense or am I just unnaturally suspicious when living here.

No - just rational. 

The note he allegedly left doesn't sound like something an American (or other native English speaker) would write.

"time to fulfill my life dream of moving on

?!?!?!? Nobody has a "life dream" of "moving on".

But what strikes me is stuff my g/f says to me, like it is her "life dream" to receive a diploma from the (late) King's daughter. Or it is her "life's dream" to take a trip to somewhere that has snow. That is exactly how she phrases it when talking to me.

An English speaker might say "to fulfill my dream", but not if he's contemplating suicide. He'd more probably says something like "it's time for me to move on" (i.e. to the next life).

So no, the English isn't that great and keep in mind that people think a 7 year old girl was tweeting in perfect English from Aleppo not long ago. 

Also, as far as the insurance is concerned, I would doubt that someone would even consider whether or not it would pay out for a "suicide". Remember the other case I mentioned (in Ranong) where the wife thought she'd collect even if she murdered her husband !

8 hours ago, thequietman said:

So he tied himself to a pole?

What about this for a suggestion;

Some one else tied him to the pole, then cut his throat.

They took his phone and cards and sent the message and transferred the money via ATM.

Wife was suitably far away when it happened. Perfect alibi.

Does this make more sense or am I just unnaturally suspicious when living here.

First she must find somone who can write english without 100 mistakes per line... oh anyway the police  would not see the mistakes

Yes its more likely 

"Police conclude"....

More like the reporter sensationalizing again....

The RTP are not in a legal position to conclude anything...they're there to gather evidence and present it to the Coroner at the Inquest into the man's death.

The Coroner will make any conclusions in due course..could be months away.

The deceased was obviously a troubled soul.

RIP.

8 hours ago, jlwilliamsjr18 said:

I'm struggling with these 2 aspects of his suicide.... cut his own throat and tied to a concrete pile.  

Suicidal people cut their wrists  regularly. The old chap from Huddersfield in the UK who killed his unfaithful Thai 'girlfriend' in Soi Honey a few years ago then tried to kill himself by cutting his own throat. It's by no means unheard of. They probably consider it more effective and quicker than wrist cutting.

Admittedly the concrete post is a bit of a teaser.

10 hours ago, Kerryd said:

While it is possible to cut your own throat (literally, according to the research I just did) it is a rare way to go.

In a diving suit, with a backpack, tied to a pole in a salt water location ?

It sounds a lot more like he went out on a diving trip, met an unfortunate (pre-arranged ?) fate and was tied to the pole to ensure the body would be found (for insurance and alibi purposes) with the perpetrators long gone. They should be checking if he had a life insurance policy (follow the money) and check the wife's phone/messaging service to see if there's a trail of messages arranging the whole affair.

And if you don't think that's possible, recall a few years back when a Canadian was murdered in his bed in Ranong. Police checked the wife's phone and found messages to her Thai boyfriend and his uncle, arranging to have the uncle come to the house where she'd leave the front door unlocked so he could come in and shoot her husband while he slept. This apparently happened shortly after the husband had told the wife about the Life Insurance policy his company had taken out for him (while he was working in the O&G industry on the African coast). I guess she thought she'd get a million dollars as soon as he died, regardless of how it happened.

Never be worth more dead than you are alive.

9 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Yeah, right...

7 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

RIP obvious to anyone with half a brain murder victim.

"In the message, he said it was “time to fulfill my life dream of moving on” and says goodbye, adding that he transferred money to her bank account for her to move on and “find someone who can make your dreams come true”.

The supposed suicide victim wrote he was leaving “in great mind, body and spirit”.

No doubt that is why he went scuba diving, to visit his fish friends before sticking a knife in his throat.

Please wake up and stop the suicide BS.

I said on the first thread this may be a bizarre suicide.

I still stick to this theory with a disclaimer on how thorough the investigation has been.

Kerryd has touched on relevant aspects that need to be ascertained 1)life insurance policy? 2)phone records

Thailand and pattaya particularly as we all know have many  lost,disturbed and damaged people.

The deceased tells wife to go look for a partner who can give her a better life.This tells me he had no money?

Transfers whatever he has because he does love her and he won't be needing it anyway.He says he's an 

unusual character which could explain the 'in great mind,body and spirit'.Was he an avid scuba diver?

If so,could explain the 'i'm moving on' bit!

Immediate phone records(times,cell tower  pings) i would hope have been scrutinised already.

If the guys worth nothing and phone records show little, then why kill him!

As for the death itself...when humans reach the end of the road,nothing suprises me.

7 hours ago, KKr said:

In the "suicide LINE-note" published above it is written "you have been preparing for this"

Shouldn't that be "you are prepared" if there is a history of mental illness?

According to a prosecutor that I know very well, every criminal makes a mistake somewhere along the line.
In case there is a criminal involved in this case, this could be the (Freudian) slip that someone with average knowledge of ThEnglish would not pick up. 

"you have been preparing for this" means that she may not yet be fully prepared. I see no problem with the English here.

But it may be of interest to the police to drop by her home and see if she is partying with a new farang already or actually in mourning.

21 minutes ago, Nasrullah said:

I said on the first thread this may be a bizarre suicide.

I still stick to this theory with a disclaimer on how thorough the investigation has been.

Kerryd has touched on relevant aspects that need to be ascertained 1)life insurance policy? 2)phone records

Thailand and pattaya particularly as we all know have many  lost,disturbed and damaged people.

The deceased tells wife to go look for a partner who can give her a better life.This tells me he had no money?

Transfers whatever he has because he does love her and he won't be needing it anyway.He says he's an 

unusual character which could explain the 'in great mind,body and spirit'.Was he an avid scuba diver?

If so,could explain the 'i'm moving on' bit!

Immediate phone records(times,cell tower  pings) i would hope have been scrutinised already.

If the guys worth nothing and phone records show little, then why kill him!

As for the death itself...when humans reach the end of the road,nothing suprises me.

I still have serious doubts.

5 hours ago, Foexie said:

like i wrote a few days ago on the other post: how stupid you would be as a murderer to make sure they will find the body ! I would make more sence if they have undressed him, tied a weight around him and made him dissapear to the bottom of the sea, kms away from the coast instead of taking a risk being seen tie him to a pole so nearby

No body no proof no crime

Let's see now. I want to murder a guy so I make it look like suicide (Thai style) and that makes it easy to transfer money too. And now the police agree that it was suicide. Maybe not so stupid?

16 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I still have serious doubts.

Serious doubts about wifey's involvement?...i know you're thinking murder!

A large degree of premeditation has gone into this whatever side of the coin.If murder why go to all that trouble.

if suicide more explainable!...i mean if the wife has no involvement  then was murder committed on land and body

transported.Being murdered 500 meters out to sea seems a little far- fetched to me in this manner!

12 minutes ago, houlicha said:

The "goodbye note" was not written by a Thai bar girl with English as a second language. I would check out her boyfriend list for a farang or two.

Again....did he have money/insurance life policy.......I think not!

I want to hear a motive!..She the wife by all accounts had no oppurtunity

Archived