Police conclude foreign diver slit own throat

Rimmer

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/30/2016 at 0:22 PM, TVGerry said:

He slit his own throat?

Come on!! Well it's possible and has probably been done before, how likely a scenario is that?

I think it's 34% of all cutting suicides.... behind wrist slitting at 38%... so... a lot more common than one might think.... unfortunately

I think this is far too dodgy to be ruled as a suicide without further investigation a too many things that need to be answered.

A time of death would be a start and then a look at when the message was sent, an autopsy to discover if he actually died in the sea water or was moved there after having his throat slit, why take and use a box cutter when a divers knife would do a better job.

Have the police gone through the wives mobile phone(s) and social media with a fine tooth comb, just how much money was sent to the wife and did the deceased have an insurance policy.

I could be wrong but this looks far more like a murder than a suicide.

14 hours ago, yogi100 said:

Suicidal people cut their wrists  regularly. The old chap from Huddersfield in the UK who killed his unfaithful Thai 'girlfriend' in Soi Honey a few years ago then tried to kill himself by cutting his own throat. It's by no means unheard of. They probably consider it more effective and quicker than wrist cutting.

Admittedly the concrete post is a bit of a teaser.

..he wanted to be found.

Who would take a guy out to sea and dress him in a wet suit and then slit his throat and put a tether on a knife to his suit? There'd have to be some kind of struggle and resistance. People everywhere.

Surely he had to get out there somehow,100's of people go out there everyday. But to do all of that and not get seen?

Unless,of course, he went by himself and dressed himself?

It would only take a matter of minutes to check the time and date of the messages on Line once the phone was located.

You can <deleted> pull the other one.....

Why should he takes the <deleted> backbag with him? Why tie himself?  Why ...why...why..and WHYssss?

Another Happy Thai Girlfriend again...may we know how much money was transferred to her bank account. ..how was the transfer made? Etc etc

20 hours ago, Mickmouse1 said:

Why go through all the hassle to do it when he could have easily done it in his bathroom?

Tie himself..wetsuit...backbag??

Etc etc

..bled out in the ocean..i think he was trying to be considerate and not leave a mess.

7 minutes ago, Mickmouse1 said:

Why go through all the hassle to do it when he could have easily done it in his bathroom?

Tie himself..wetsuit...backbag??

Etc etc

6 minutes ago, tandor said:

..bled out in the ocean..i think he was trying to be considerate and not leave a mess.

you have a point! the horrible scenery in the bathroom would have had life-long affect on his beloved wife's memory(if in fact it was a suicide)

RIP poor guy! sometimes life can get very tough on some people and we humans are emotionally a lot more fragile than many of us think we are...

The problem with this style of reporting is that it achieves the objective: light the fuse and run - leaving so few facts about the background story that conjecture and speculation fill the void. Let's at least hope that the man's family and friends are able to access more detailed information about the circumstances of his death than we are. It rather reminds me of the recent demise of another American, this time in Hua Hin, who apparently disappeared from his teaching job and died in a hotel room in the town, but not before repeatedly and systematically hurling himself onto hard objects, according to the pathologist's report, which mentions significant bruising, lacerations and internal injuries...

According to the farang deaths website, it was his backpack that he allegedly tied to the pillar. I suppose he could have slipped his arms in to the backpack before slitting his throat. Maybe he was being considerate by leaving less mess by doing it at sea.
If it was murder, it seems complicated but then again that could be the whole point.

https://www.farang-deaths.com/case/frank-thomas/

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

14 hours ago, guru said:

According to the farang deaths website, it was his backpack that he allegedly tied to the pillar. I suppose he could have slipped his arms in to the backpack before slitting his throat. Maybe he was being considerate by leaving less mess by doing it at sea.
If it was murder, it seems complicated but then again that could be the whole point.

https://www.farang-deaths.com/case/frank-thomas/

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

..a lot of suicides do appear bizarre and complex, but when all the questions have been answered it is not as difficult, particularly the 'Why'. Of course whether he was left/right handed, the angle, length and depth of the laceration would have to be determined. He went to the trouble of leaving a message and took care of his g/f as best he could before departing this world in a planned and calculated way, at what he considered to be the correct time in his life.

I am going to disappoint the mind-drama of the conspiracy theorists on this forum. As i said in the other thread, myself and about 20 other Thais/Expats knew Tom for quite a while. He was lively, clever, friendly, fit and a very very young 52 year old. He wasn't rich nor did he have financial problems. He was fairly clean living after retiring here several years prior.

Tom decided a long time ago that he didn't want to grow old, decrepid and ill. He told a few of his closer friends that he would end his life at his peak and he had no issues with his wife who he lived with in Bangkok. To one person he even talked about this chosen method. None of us really thought much of it because he was always very self-assured and seemed happy on the outside. It came as a shock to us all that he actually followed through with it in that way, and this soon.

His plan was to leave unannounced, which he did, enjoy the surrounding nature (diving) and do the deed with the hope people wouldn't be disturbed by finding his body (hence tying his backpack to a buoy off the coast). He was closed about his feelings and closed about any problems. Tom could be your friend who appears always happy on the outside but is fighting battles on the inside. Yes, Tom's method seemed very unorthodox to all of us too...but apparently he researched it and decided upon it. 

Despite the Thai police's careless reputation, in this case they are correct. It was suicide.

On 30.12.2016 at 6:59 AM, kannot said:

u tink too mush................but collectly, more than likely

So he tied himself to a pole?

What about this for a suggestion;

Some one else tied him to the pole, then cut his throat.

They took his phone and cards and sent the message and transferred the money via ATM.

Wife was suitably far away when it happened. Perfect alibi.

Does this make more sense or am I just unnaturally suspicious when living here.

I like your theory.

They took his phone and cards and sent the message and transferred the money via ATM.

I like your theory.

I suggest you read CarlBkk's post above.

On 30/12/2016 at 0:28 PM, thequietman said:

So did he tie himself to a pole and then slit his own throat, or slit his own throat and then tie himself to a pole. Hmmmm 

3 hours ago, CarlBkk said:

I am going to disappoint the mind-drama of the conspiracy theorists on this forum. As i said in the other thread, myself and about 20 other Thais/Expats knew Tom for quite a while. He was lively, clever, friendly, fit and a very very young 52 year old. He wasn't rich nor did he have financial problems. He was fairly clean living after retiring here several years prior.

Tom decided a long time ago that he didn't want to grow old, decrepid and ill. He told a few of his closer friends that he would end his life at his peak and he had no issues with his wife who he lived with in Bangkok. To one person he even talked about this chosen method. None of us really thought much of it because he was always very self-assured and seemed happy on the outside. It came as a shock to us all that he actually followed through with it in that way, and this soon.

His plan was to leave unannounced, which he did, enjoy the surrounding nature (diving) and do the deed with the hope people wouldn't be disturbed by finding his body (hence tying his backpack to a buoy off the coast). He was closed about his feelings and closed about any problems. Tom could be your friend who appears always happy on the outside but is fighting battles on the inside. Yes, Tom's method seemed very unorthodox to all of us too...but apparently he researched it and decided upon it. 

Despite the Thai police's careless reputation, in this case they are correct. It was suicide.

Thanks for the background story Carl.

It was certainly a strange incident but everything pointed to a bizarre individual that could carry it out.

So many out of touch commentators on this forum.

9 hours ago, CarlBkk said:

So how close were you to Tom and his wife ? Did he always go diving solo ? Not a good idea and seldom done . You are very well informed however and by your own statement  "  He was lively, clever, friendly, fit and a very very young 52 year old " He was nowhere near ready for ending his life , certainly not old and decrepit . I am still not convinced of suicide .

With all due respect to his friend, that is no way a "suicide note".  It looks much more like a breakup note.  And apparently he cared about his family, why does he leave it so unclear that he is actually Killing Himself, with no reason why, instead of just "moving on", possibly from a girl?  And lots of Thai people can write excellent English, but couldn't talk to you for 30 seconds!  They teach writing and grammar in school, but they have no one to practice speaking with.   The only motive for this is what we heard from a "friend".  52, retired, with a nice Thai gf, and able to dive is a lot of years away from being "old and decrepit".   Way too fishy.   I mean the easy way is get a bunch of Xanax, and drink your favorite fifth quickly, you don't wake up.  Toxicoligy report confirms it.  No muss, no fuss, no bodies to clean up.  I think jumping is gross.      

3 hours ago, superal said:

So how close were you to Tom and his wife ? Did he always go diving solo ? Not a good idea and seldom done . You are very well informed however and by your own statement  "  He was lively, clever, friendly, fit and a very very young 52 year old " He was nowhere near ready for ending his life , certainly not old and decrepit . I am still not convinced of suicide .

We also agree, he was nowhere near old and decrepid. We also find his method bizarre and are still all shocked. All the evidence ties in with what Tom directly told people he would do though...it can't be denied. It just goes to show, maybe the reasons he gave were a bit of cover for some other personal/mental battles he was having which he didn't convey.

I would say 65% of suicides in TH are financial, 25% for health, and 10% are homicides because someone did something stupid or had the wrong gf.   Its not easy to retire at 52, and he could have had money problems he was hiding for his friends.  He seemed estranged from his family, so if he did, it was probably financial.  The wife could have proven this.

Archived