What is the strangest thing that has happened to you in Thailand

Bangkok Barry

On 12/31/2016 at 3:56 AM, Fookhaht said:

I'm just about ready to buy a wooded property from my Thai partner's family, and your post raised a bit of an alarm in my head.

According to my Thai partner, that was definitely a "family scam," not a "Thai scam." But you probably figured that out anyway.

Ergo: I think I'll still keep a more vigilant watch on the plot until I use it. Thanks for the heads up.

MY OWN STORY
-------------------------------------
Bought a cheapie watch on the street in Bangkok (Sukumvit). Just can't resist those high-tech looking 100-baht watches. So, I paid the price, strapped it on my risk, took four steps down the street, and the crystal fell out onto the pavement.

My Thai friend thought there might still be hope if I retraced my four steps, and ask for a replacement or refund for something purchased less than a minute earlier.

The lady vendor looked at my bare-faced watch, and then trained a steady, schoolmaster gaze on me. Suddenly, I felt like the naive little child who had just made a ridiculous request (e.g. Oliver Twist in, "May I have some more porridge, sir?")

With a straight face, and waving her finger, she lectured me: "Farang no understand. Watch made to work without glass. No problem."

She then took the crystal, wrapped it in a little tissue, tossed it in my bag, dismissively waved me on my way, and turned her face to her next victim.

Remarkably, without a crystal, the watch lasted longer than all my two-dozen other cheapo timepieces did. Maybe I'm onto something.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The same thing happened to me too. I took the watch back, told him to give back the money and gave him the watch. I wish i met that woman so I could do the same to her. See who's the victim lol. 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I befriended a rich farang and thai female, 3 of us grew to become very good friends (best I've had in recent memory). Learn last week that the farang was keeping the thai female's cards hostage, lied about his whole life as a banker and spending all her money whilst living in her apartment (opposite day) for 2 months whilst also beating her. Help her get rid of him, she's dumb as <deleted> and decides to tell me downstairs while the guy is in my apartment - he's dangerous, risk my life. I had plans for NYE with a girl I was seeing, said no to her to hang out with Thai friend as I felt she needed people at this moment. Thai girl ditches me last second.. so I spend new year alone. Lol

They weren't even dating they were just friends and he was just living there (strangest dynamic ever). 

I just needed to rant

16 minutes ago, A1Str8 said:

If she sold the land she sold the trees as well. Which makes her a thief. Aside from being dumb, I would also take her to court. 

not true.   if one sells a house it doesn't necessarily come with the furniture.  which can be removed by agreement.  same as anything sitting on land.

6 minutes ago, Jinxed said:

I befriended a rich farang and thai female, 3 of us grew to become very good friends (best I've had in recent memory). Learn last week that the farang was keeping the thai female's cards hostage, lied about his whole life as a banker and spending all her money whilst living in her apartment (opposite day) for 2 months whilst also beating her. Help her get rid of him, she's dumb as <deleted> and decides to tell me downstairs while the guy is in my apartment - he's dangerous, risk my life. I had plans for NYE with a girl I was seeing, said no to her to hang out with Thai friend as I felt she needed people at this moment. Thai girl ditches me last second.. so I spend new year alone. Lol

They weren't even dating they were just friends and he was just living there (strangest dynamic ever). 

I just needed to rant

Probably reading this post

4 hours ago, jonesthebaker said:

you were distraught because you got a sandwich by mistake!  and this is the strangest thing to happen to you.  you must lead a very sheltered life

*Quote to removed post deleted*

What's up with critiquing other people's stories? Your yarn about the taxi to the hotel in the boonies isn't too memorable either.

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

What's up with critiquing other people's stories? Your yarn about the taxi to the hotel in the boonies isn't too memorable either.

forgive him he's drunk and his Thai partner just left him 55555

This must be one of the most boring threads I ever read or did I miss something?

Somebody got a sandwich instead of a coffee, wow!

Let me see now. I once ordered a small beer Chang and got a large beer Leo. That was weird.

Then again I once by chance met up with a smelly, living in the forest somewhere, priest, who immediately told me in very good English about my past life, my health, and ended up giving me good advice about something very few people outside the family knew about. He wouldn't take any money, never saw him again.

1 hour ago, Jeffkp said:

Was in Pattaya with a This friend last year. I took him to an hiso gentlemen's club (it was his birthday). At some point I had to use the bathroom and went in. It had a male attendant. He handed me a warm towel to wipe my face and hands. Very nice. I then went to a urinal and started my business.

Next thing I know I feel hands on my shoulders giving me a massage! I looked back and it was the attendant. I literally did not know what to say or do. I almost pissed on my shoes. I quickly finished, washed my hands and left (I gave him 40 bhat tip).

I told my Thai friend what happened and he said the same thing happened to him. I asked it this was common and he told me certainly not!

It is common for the more hi-so clubs though. Also happened to me several times and i got really shocked, first i thought a friend did it but than i noticed it was the toiletboy. I told him to pi$s off. 

When i left he offered me some perfume, candy, towell and what not. I didn't tip him cause i was angry.

Also when i got married i didn't want to buy me a weddingsuit so i rented one. In that weddingshop were many katoeys working. One had to dress me up but when he tried to close my zipper he was fiddling with it for a minute, i got tired of that and told him to pi$s off again. Than he didn't dare to help me anymore, he told my wife he was very scared for me....

The wedding went fine, we had to wake up at 3 am, a katoey came for my wife's make up which took 3 hours while i tried to sleep more. We were all ready at 6 or 7 am (and so were all our guests except the guy who was my assistant, he never showed up and stayed in his hotelroom)....It became 6:20 am and still no monks to be seen, so i asked the hotel if we could drink coffee instead...no hab...Finally the monks came at 6:30 and the whole ceremoney took place. After that we had big breakfast, all of us (100 people or so), i looked at the sugar and there was a huge black stripe from it to under the table....they were ants!

Anyway, at 10 am they were all on the whisky and i had to be on over 1000 pictures...we suddenly had 5 photographers who all needed a picture of me and EVERY guest, many even needed multiple pictures! What fun it was.....

I got busted for starting a small fire in a public area. I was clearing brush for a rustic trail (I had prior approval from the local pu yai ban).  By the time the cops showed up, the fire had gone out.  No problem, the cops made a large bonfire nearby .....for the obligatory photo - of me standing in front of it with 9 cops. I guess it looked good in the local newspaper.  

How 'bout the time a restaurant manager asked whether the music on the p.a. system (or TV/radio) was too loud or annoying.   Sorry, I was just joking.  No restaurant manager has ever done such a thing in the history of Thailand.

7 minutes ago, Jinxed said:

I've never so clearly distinguished an obnoxious drunk through the internet before..

strange things is I am not at all drunk.  in fact I don't even drink alcohol.   your syntax clearly distinguishes your inability to comprehend wit and sarcasm.  then again, any person that would use the name 'jinxed' as a poster ID obviously understand little of the power of words :)

2 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

had to trick a thai girl into doing a DNA test to get my son back from a welsh guy. he kept dating her even after he learned william was my son. strange.

Several times I had Thai girls ask me to make them pregnant so they could have a half Thai and half Farang baby.....and promised me they would go away and never bother me and just wanted the baby.

Maybe not so strange but a strange feeling.

Cheers

Strangest thing that's happened to me in Thailand ? 

1 - Being called "hansum" by all and sundry spunkettes. Clearly they need to see some  Brad Pitt movies.

2 - I've developed the ability to drink bucket loads of booze here, and never need a piss. 

2 hours ago, Jeffkp said:

Was in Pattaya with a This friend last year. I took him to an hiso gentlemen's club (it was his birthday). At some point I had to use the bathroom and went in. It had a male attendant. He handed me a warm towel to wipe my face and hands. Very nice. I then went to a urinal and started my business.

Next thing I know I feel hands on my shoulders giving me a massage! I looked back and it was the attendant. I literally did not know what to say or do. I almost pissed on my shoes. I quickly finished, washed my hands and left (I gave him 40 bhat tip).

I told my Thai friend what happened and he said the same thing happened to him. I asked it this was common and he told me certainly not!

It certainly isn't uncommon. I've experienced it myself several times and have heard many others report the same experience. 

Well tonight one of my biggest fears actually eventuated.

A big Thai guy about 45yo on a 150cc scooter tried to commit suicide (or was just insane and/or super drunk) by
trying to run head on into my Ford Escape SUV. I was turning slightly into the Surin Beach
road that veers off to my place from the main road,  doing maybe 50KM and suddenly the single light of a scooter
is coming directly at me, slightly to my left,  aiming at my grill dead centre.
I had just enough time to pull a little bit of right hand down, and maybe one second of HARD brakes.
Then he hit me head on the left hand corner of the Escape. Him doing maybe 40KM, and me doing about the same.
He ended up on the road maybe 1.5M behind the Escape, with lots of scrapes and at least a broken leg I think,
and a pretty smashed up scooter. I was stopped within 2 secs, and as I jumped out,
to my delight,  a cop had been standing in the centre of the veering off road (mine) and the main road.
So I yelled at him “did you see that!!??” He probably did not understand the English, but it
was pretty obvious what I was asking.

Now in Thailand at any accident, the vehicles are to remain
where they stop after the accident, until the cops and/or your insurance reps arrive, assuming
you are insured. Even if it blocks the road,  you must not move the vehicles. So this was normally going to hold me
up forever,  but as the cop was already there, and saw I was 100% faultless, I made the “I think he was drinking action” , and gestured, "I am ok with my damage, can I go?"
He looked surprised that I would “let the other guy off and not try and claim for my damage”,
but the guy on the road (grimacing and bleeding) looked pretty poor, probably with no insurance,  with at least a broken leg, and one pretty mangled scooter.
So I asked again, and the cop gestured "OK if you want." So off I went leaving the cop, and half a dozen Thais gathered around their suicidal pal.

It happened about 10PM, boy you gotta stay so sharp here,  and still they can get you.

No wonder they are rated one up from “worst in the world”, and out of about 140 countries, that is certainly not good.

Only the Dominican Republic is worse.

http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/the-countries-with-the-most-car-accidents.html

However, I am VERY happy he is not dead,  which is quite possible,  as two women I know personally,
had the same thing happen,  but both were fatal. One was the wife of a good pal, and she lost weight,
always wondering "if only I had done this", or “if only I had done that” etc . But the guy that died was not suicidal, just tried to cut across in front of her and mis-judged it.
They also paid one million Baht (US$35,000) to the widow,  although there were cameras that showed her husband was 100% at fault.
The other was a real estate rep,  and it shook her up so badly she quit her job and left Thailand.
(I heard she later had a mental breakdown)

But for the grace of God go I! But I take a little solace from this,  as surely it could never happen again! ; )

N Simmons

22 minutes ago, HerbalEd said:

It certainly isn't uncommon. I've experienced it myself several times and have heard many others report the same experience. 

Tiger disco male toilets provide that service and all the bars below it on Bangla Road have a toilet at the rear that also provides the same service, I have always used the place you take a dump to take a piss as I don't like being touched at the cubical's, and they expect a tip too, I once saw a drunk farang laughing and talking to the guys in the toilet when one of the Thai's sneezed upon me exiting the place that I usually take a piss (the one you take a dump) and at the same time whipped his hand on the drunk farangs back giving him a massage, it was a big golly, then he looked at me and froze, thinking no one was in the toilets, I just shook my head side to side and left in disgust, this is what they think of us.  

2 hours ago, A1Str8 said:

If she sold the land she sold the trees as well. Which makes her a thief. Aside from being dumb, I would also take her to court. 

I live upcountry and in some instances it is specified that the trees do not go with the land, they can represent a separate investment and sometimes, in rare instances, a piece of land has been rented and the leasee might plant fruit trees to harvest for a living. Those trees do not belong to the owner of the land, but the renter who bought and planted them. 

22 minutes ago, nsimmons said:

Well tonight one of my biggest fears actually eventuated.

It happened about 10PM, boy you gotta stay so sharp here,  

Good story nsimmons .... but as you posted your experience at 7.55pm, it hasn't actually happened yet ?

I recommend you stay indoors tonight. Definately don't go out around 10pm

1st time in Phuket 10 years ago sitting at the front of a bar with a mate, 1st timer also, drinking beer watching the crowd go by in Bangla Road.

About 5 minutes into it a beautiful little petite thing walks past staring at me with mini handbag half way up her arm hanging off of it, and smiling at me, so I smiles back, my mate looks at me and I looks at him, I said, she eyeballing you or is she eyeballing me, he said you mate, go for it, so I bounces off my chair and starts up a conversation with her, now remember this is our 1st time in Phuket, she says, you have hotel, I said to myself, she ain't wasting anytime, and my reply was yes, she puts her arm in mine and points to the tuk tuk, so we start walking away, and I yell out to my mate to stay there as I will be back, this beautiful little creature says you give me 1,000 baht for bang bang short time, I said, no problem, and too myself said damn that's cheap for this piece of pussy, also not knowing the going rate, then she stops before we go into the tuk tuk, and says in a quiet, yet high pitched voice, Iman, and I said, I Michael, she shook her head and said, no no, Iman, and I replied again, I Michael, again she shook her head, no no, Iman, and again I said, I Michael, she stopped, looked me dead centre in the eyes, (damn she was hot), looking frustrated and showed me her arm making a gesture and pointing to her wrist to her elbow and said I have C-ck, "I MAN", I was totally confused, she again said "I MAN", I Ladyboy, not knowing what a Ladyboy was, I got the 2nd part loud and clear, I went into panic mode and waved no no oh sorry and went back to my mate, who said whats up, It's a F'n bloke, he said shut up, I said seriously, it told me its got a C-ck, he said that's probably why every other guy she was talking to before she gazed her eyes upon you took off after about 10 seconds of talking, it was at that point I realised that I had a true mate with me in Phuket, suffice to say I kind of regret not stepping over the line with that Ladyboy....lol.  

10 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

1st time in Phuket 10 years ago sitting at the front of a bar with a mate, 1st timer also, drinking beer watching the crowd go by in Bangla Road.

About 5 minutes into it a beautiful little petite thing walks past staring at me with mini handbag half way up her arm hanging off of it, and smiling at me, so I smiles back, my mate looks at me and I looks at him, I said, she eyeballing you or is she eyeballing me, he said you mate, go for it, so I bounces off my chair and starts up a conversation with her, now remember this is our 1st time in Phuket, she says, you have hotel, I said to myself, she ain't wasting anytime, and my reply was yes, she puts her arm in mine and points to the tuk tuk, so we start walking away, and I yell out to my mate to stay there as I will be back, this beautiful little creature says you give me 1,000 baht for bang bang short time, I said, no problem, and too myself said damn that's cheap for this piece of pussy, then she stops before we go into the tuk tuk, and says in a quiet, yet high pitched voice, Iman, I said, I Michael, she shook her head ans said, no no, Iman, and I replied again, I Michael, again she shook her head, no no, Iman, and again I said, I Michael, she stopped, looked me dead centre in the eyes, (damn she was hot), looking frustrated and showed me her arm making a gesture and pointing to her wrist to her elbow and said I have C-ck, "I MAN", I was totally confused, she again said "I MAN", I Ladyboy, not knowing <deleted> a Ladyboy was, I got the 2nd part loud and clear, I went into panic mode and waved no no oh sorry and went back to my mate, who said whats up, It's a F'n bloke, he said shut up, I said seriously, it told me its got a C-ck, he said that's probably why every other guy she was talking to before she gazed her eyes upon you took off after about 10 seconds of talking, it was at that point I realised that I had a true mate with me in Phuket, suffice to say I kind of regret not stepping over the line....lol.  

Hahaha, welcome to Thailand man! This is how it goes, has mama not warned you?.

20 years ago there were catwalks in Phuket where they would dance naked, very nice "girls", i saw the drunk farang licking their legs and everything while they walked on top of the bar...they also took them to the hotel to get a big surprise i guess.

I've heard many of those stories...

Do you still have your watch or jewelry?

13 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Hahaha, welcome to Thailand man! This is how it goes, has mama not warned you?.

20 years ago there were catwalks in Phuket where they would dance naked, very nice "girls", i saw the drunk farang licking their legs and everything while they walked on top of the bar...they also took them to the hotel to get a big surprise i guess.

I've heard many of those stories...

Do you still have your watch or jewelry?

That is vulgar, I'm good, and greatful the Ladyboy told me, although another mate of mine did get his money and a mobile taken, I always look out for my mates and give them some simple rules, we all saw him leave with this chick from the bar, but when he tried to take money out from the ATM around the corner it rejected his card because it had a tear in it, so he said to the girl, I have another one back at the hotel, come and I will take money out from an ATM next door at the family mart, she said no you come back, so off he went, got his card took his money out and then a Ladyboy got him on the way back, he was pretty pissed as well, but I thought he was good, never take em off the street is my golden rule, bars you can go back too.

1. A speeding Kathoey, doing a red light on drugs and drunk near the cops almost killed me when he hit my truck sideways and the insurance decided to "redo" the completely destroyed truck. It took the garage the insurance company had a deal with only 12 months to give me my car back.

He only paid 500 baht for speeding, I almost landed in a wheelchair. 

2. When I got it back there's something really wrong with breaks and steering. Drove to Mitsubishi, they lifted it up and it turned out that they billed for fixing the chassis/frame but didn't do anything. It was clear that it wouldn't go back so Mitsubishi here made it. The whole truck in tiny parts and the frame was welded, etc. When I got it back after 6 months some ball joints were still out of order.

3. After all got fixed and I had it back heading to my wife's village, I saw a Honda CBR coming from the other side. He obviously didn't see the tractor with a trailer and drove on the ramp, he flew through the air, his bike as well, heading toward my windshield. Only hitting the brakes helped my wife and me to survive. The truck had to be brought to the cops even when we had nothing to do with it. The driver landed on his damn feet.

They had to order some parts and when I got it back from the cops Mitsubishi needed two weeks to get it done. 

Ina country with airborne motorbikes is nothing impossible. 

I was craving for some chinese food one night, after looking all over came across a restaurant that advertised clearly Thai, Western and Chinese food, we sat down Tgf orders hers and am going through menu, no chinese? nothing, zip, nadda, I asked you do chinese food, Yes Mr... I said is not on menu? My Tgf says something in Thai, ok darling they get menu for chinese food... They come back a minute later with a chinese menu, yep same menu written in chinese??? Oh I give up!

The waiters and my Tgf all look at me as If I was stupid farang!! lol... You gotta love the place

4 minutes ago, Lokie said:

I was craving for some chinese food one night, after looking all over came across a restaurant that advertised clearly Thai, Western and Chinese food, we sat down Tgf orders hers and am going through menu, no chinese? nothing, zip, nadda, I asked you do chinese food, Yes Mr... I said is not on menu? My Tgf says something in Thai, ok darling they get menu for chinese food... They come back a minute later with a chinese menu, yep same menu written in chinese??? Oh I give up!

The waiters and my Tgf all look at me as If I was stupid farang!! lol... You gotta love the place

Did you eat the cats and dogs?

Archived