What is the strangest thing that has happened to you in Thailand

Bangkok Barry

I was driving south of Bangkok and saw a dead and partially flattened 5 foot long lizard on the road and thought the road kill was way more interesting here than back home.

Took me 4 whole days to get a drivers license.

Had a gf say yes when I asked if I could get another gf.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Scott said:

Continued baiting and personal remarks are going to result in suspensions.  

You have been warned.  

Stop with the bickering.

Just do it man, they are ruining this fun thread...i even put him on ignore but still have to read his nonsense.

11 minutes ago, ThaiWai said:

I was driving south of Bangkok and saw a dead and partially flattened 5 foot long lizard on the road and thought the road kill was way more interesting here than back home.

Took me 4 whole days to get a drivers license.

Had a gf say yes when I asked if I could get another gf.

I was driving around the corner here in the subs of BKK, suddenly a huge monitor lizzard comes out of a swamp and just crossed the road very slowly. It was a big one from 2 meters. Lucky we have a huge wall around the compound.

Was walking inside the compound at night around the lake while my wife pulled me back suddenly. There was a snake who played the "i'm dead game". Very dangerous cause he didn't move at all and was on the middle of the walkingtrack in our park. We waited a while to see if it was really dead but it wasn't and slid away slowly after almost a minute.

Was driving on a main road the other day, there was a scooter infront of me with a lady on the backseat holding a baby in her arm. Somehow the driver hit a car so they fell hard, baby flew out of her arm onto the road. She walks to it, brushed the hair good with her hand and in the meantime the driver already had lifted the scooter up and started it. She jumped on the back and off they went like nothing happened.

I've seen about 10 car/motocy/truck accidents happening right infront of me. If i had a dashcam i could have my own youtube-channel i guess. Mostly the Thai who had an accident or fell just stand up like nothing has happened. I even have seen a motocy driver who slipped in a corner,  made a double summersault and landed on the road. He walked back to the scooter and drove off like it was nothing.

On 12/31/2016 at 10:44 AM, mogandave said:

Taxi ride from the old airport.

Me, clearly: Novotel Bangna

Driver: Novotel, Novotel, Novotel....Siam Square!!!

Me, louder and more clearly: No, Novotel Bang-na

Driver: Novotel, Novotel, Novotel....Lotus!!!

Me, still louder: No, Novotel Bang-NA!

Driver: Novotel, Novotel, Novotel....Bangna, Bangna okay Bangna!!!

A great example of how the Thai brain works....

:clap2:

I've had a few strange things happen (later) but one of the funniest thinks I've seen more than once:

TWO Thais (only two) on a motorcycle approach a red light.

Pull to a stop at the line. Neither puts a foot down and the bike and riders topple over...

Seen it in the afternoon not just at night when they might have had a drink.

48 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Just do it man, they are ruining this fun thread...i even put him on ignore but still have to read his nonsense.

Numerous posts and replies have been removed and one person has been put on a suspension for quite a long time.  

Sorry that the rest of you had to endure the nonsense.  

Thanks to those who hit the report button and alerted us to what was happening.  

Maybe not the strangest- there are some stories I won't tell on a public forum- but I used to take the bus from Bangkok to Trad quite often. It was when they still used to play movies on the way. The thing is they were always the most gruesome horror movies with blood and Gore and screaming all the way. One of them showed a baby being ripped out of its mothers womb!
What was weird to me though was that there would be kids and elderly Thais on the bus and no one showed any reactions to any of the Gore. Any farangs onboard would be wincing and making comments but the Thais wouldn't bat an eyelid.

7 hours ago, Jeffkp said:

Was in Pattaya with a This friend last year. I took him to an hiso gentlemen's club (it was his birthday). At some point I had to use the bathroom and went in. It had a male attendant. He handed me a warm towel to wipe my face and hands. Very nice. I then went to a urinal and started my business.

Next thing I know I feel hands on my shoulders giving me a massage! I looked back and it was the attendant. I literally did not know what to say or do. I almost pissed on my shoes. I quickly finished, washed my hands and left (I gave him 40 bhat tip).

I told my Thai friend what happened and he said the same thing happened to him. I asked it this was common and he told me certainly not!

your Thai friend must not go out too much then, as i find they do this at many places. 

13 hours ago, Jeffkp said:

Was in Pattaya with a This friend last year. I took him to an hiso gentlemen's club (it was his birthday). At some point I had to use the bathroom and went in. It had a male attendant. He handed me a warm towel to wipe my face and hands. Very nice. I then went to a urinal and started my business.

Next thing I know I feel hands on my shoulders giving me a massage! I looked back and it was the attendant. I literally did not know what to say or do. I almost pissed on my shoes. I quickly finished, washed my hands and left (I gave him 40 bhat tip).

I told my Thai friend what happened and he said the same thing happened to him. I asked it this was common and he told me certainly not!

It's common in the places frequented mainly by Thais. I hate it too and shoo them away.

6 hours ago, Mr Wimpy said:

Maybe not the strangest- there are some stories I won't tell on a public forum- but I used to take the bus from Bangkok to Trad quite often. It was when they still used to play movies on the way. The thing is they were always the most gruesome horror movies with blood and Gore and screaming all the way. One of them showed a baby being ripped out of its mothers womb!
What was weird to me though was that there would be kids and elderly Thais on the bus and no one showed any reactions to any of the Gore. Any farangs onboard would be wincing and making comments but the Thais wouldn't bat an eyelid.

A lot of Thai newspapers show gory photos of murders and road accidents. The locals are hardened to it.

A lot of Thai newspapers show gory photos of murders and road accidents. The locals are hardened to it.

Yes I realise that now. But at the time it was quite a culture shock. I did this journey a good few times. I've always enjoyed traveling by bus but the horror flicks just made it surreal.

13 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

... I once saw a drunk farang laughing and talking to the guys in the toilet when one of the Thai's sneezed upon me exiting the place that I usually take a piss (the one you take a dump) and at the same time whipped his hand on the drunk farangs back giving him a massage, it was a big golly, then he looked at me and froze, thinking no one was in the toilets, I just shook my head side to side and left in disgust, this is what they think of us.

No.This is what one Thai sh!thouse attendant thought about one pissed up foreigner.

41 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

No.This is what one Thai sh!thouse attendant thought about one pissed up foreigner.

Your entitled to your opinion, I have seen many incidents where foreigners have been degraded, actually I will go one step further and say that I call a spade a spade, most Thai's don't like foreigners, behind all those smiles, they tolerate us, there is a difference, that's my opinion, which I am entitled too as well, I have a pretty good gut feel and sense Thai's don't like foreigners, now let me elaborate that, in tourist areas Thai's see foreigners as a source of income, the word survival would be too strong, in the villagers they are different, more humble in my opinion.

I am not saying foreigners don't deserve what they get for acting the way they do because they are drunk and disorderly, but no need to stoop so low, behind ones back, or attack foreigners in groups like cowards, sure if the guy if 20ft tall and out of control, but not when he's old and frail.

I have my opinion and others have theirs, whatever 555 

16 hours ago, A1Str8 said:

If she sold the land she sold the trees as well. Which makes her a thief. Aside from being dumb, I would also take her to court. 

Would you take your sister to court.  :saai:

Oh lighten up man, come on this is not western society,  my wife got a share of wood and the trees are fast growing eucalyptus and Oz guys here know how quick they grow.  :thumbsup:

Met a girl online from Ayutthaya. Went to meet her in person and had a look around the temples with her friend in tow. After I invited her for dinner.
I was really looking foward to trying some real Thai food in a local restaurant. I let her order and all this food started coming to the table and it looked fantastic. I started eating but then I realised she wasn't actually eating anything just kind of pushing the food around the plate. Put me well off! So I stopped eating and finished my beer and then the waitress came and took all the food away again!
I can understand the Thai reasoning behind it now but at the time it freaked me out. I made my excuses and went and got completely pissed up.

14 hours ago, lostinisaan said:

1. A speeding Kathoey, doing a red light on drugs and drunk near the cops almost killed me when he hit my truck sideways and the insurance decided to "redo" the completely destroyed truck. It took the garage the insurance company had a deal with only 12 months to give me my car back.

He only paid 500 baht for speeding, I almost landed in a wheelchair. 

2. When I got it back there's something really wrong with breaks and steering. Drove to Mitsubishi, they lifted it up and it turned out that they billed for fixing the chassis/frame but didn't do anything. It was clear that it wouldn't go back so Mitsubishi here made it. The whole truck in tiny parts and the frame was welded, etc. When I got it back after 6 months some ball joints were still out of order.

3. After all got fixed and I had it back heading to my wife's village, I saw a Honda CBR coming from the other side. He obviously didn't see the tractor with a trailer and drove on the ramp, he flew through the air, his bike as well, heading toward my windshield. Only hitting the brakes helped my wife and me to survive. The truck had to be brought to the cops even when we had nothing to do with it. The driver landed on his damn feet.

They had to order some parts and when I got it back from the cops Mitsubishi needed two weeks to get it done. 

Ina country with airborne motorbikes is nothing impossible. 

And the name of the insurance company to stay clear of is ?

23 hours ago, jonesthebaker said:

you were distraught because you got a sandwich by mistake!  and this is the strangest thing to happen to you.  you must lead a very sheltered life

555, but much deeper than that, baker.  At the time I was taking lessons, studying the alphabet and learning to read.  Knowing communication even amongst Thais is often iffy at best, I decided if I can't order a coffee, what are the odds of ever effectively communicating with them in their language?  Again, considering the natives often have trouble understanding each other.  It was a milestone moment.

7 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Your entitled to your opinion, I have seen many incidents where foreigners have been degraded, actually I will go one step further and say that I call a spade a spade, most Thai's don't like foreigners, behind all those smiles, they tolerate us, there is a difference, that's my opinion, which I am entitled too as well, I have a pretty good gut feel and sense Thai's don't like foreigners, now let me elaborate that, in tourist areas Thai's see foreigners as a source of income, the word survival would be too strong, in the villagers they are different, more humble in my opinion.

I am not saying foreigners don't deserve what they get for acting the way they do because they are drunk and disorderly, but no need to stoop so low, behind ones back, or attack foreigners in groups like cowards, sure if the guy if 20ft tall and out of control, but not when he's old and frail.

I have my opinion and others have theirs, whatever 555 

I can agree with you that compared to thirty years ago, the locals are a lot less deferential but you are already making excuses for their boorishness when you claim that it's because of tourists or tourism. There's ignorant buggers everywhere to be honest. Yes, they can be xenophobic but show me an asiatic or 'third worlder' who aint.

Back on topic.The strangest thing that has happened to me in Thailand is that I no longer allow the locals opinion of myself and other foreigners to rent too much space in my head.

23 minutes ago, bubba45 said:

555, but much deeper than that, baker.  At the time I was taking lessons, studying the alphabet and learning to read.  Knowing communication even amongst Thais is often iffy at best, I decided if I can't order a coffee, what are the odds of ever effectively communicating with them in their language?  Again, considering the natives often have trouble understanding each other.  It was a milestone moment.

No sweat bubba, the baker is on holiday.

23 hours ago, fruitman said:

It is common for the more hi-so clubs though. Also happened to me several times and i got really shocked, first i thought a friend did it but than i noticed it was the toiletboy. I told him to pi$s off. 

When i left he offered me some perfume, candy, towell and what not. I didn't tip him cause i was angry.

Haha I remember that at NASA disco in BKK in the 80's and I was a bit surprised.

Whatever happened to that place NASA Spaceadrome? I think at the end of the night something that looked like a spaceship dropped from the roof with lights flashing. Found it ...was ripped down for the airport rail link http://aladdin.st/hornet/nasa.htm

18 minutes ago, BaanOz said:

Haha I remember that at NASA disco in BKK in the 80's and I was a bit surprised.

Whatever happened to that place NASA Spaceadrome? I think at the end of the night something that looked like a spaceship dropped from the roof with lights flashing. Found it ...was ripped down for the airport rail link http://aladdin.st/hornet/nasa.htm

NASA disco, those were the days. I still smile when I pass that area, but I remember it still being open until the mid or even late 1990'es.

Phorbus was another blast.

11 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

NASA disco, those were the days. I still smile when I pass that area, but I remember it still being open until the mid or even late 1990'es.

Yeah actually would have been '89 I was there. I remember the tuk-tuk driver doing a wheelie for us over some bumps on the way back the the hotel. Yep those were the days :D

Ohh the memories ...and he took us back to the wrong hotel. I think it was called The Princess Hotel and there was another hotel the same or similar name which we were taken.

3 hours ago, BaanOz said:

Yeah actually would have been '89 I was there. I remember the tuk-tuk driver doing a wheelie for us over some bumps on the way back the the hotel. Yep those were the days :D

Ohh the memories ...and he took us back to the wrong hotel. I think it was called The Princess Hotel and there was another hotel the same or similar name which we were taken.

I want a thread dedicated to old-school nightlife stories

20 hours ago, Mr Wimpy said:

Met a girl online from Ayutthaya. Went to meet her in person and had a look around the temples with her friend in tow. After I invited her for dinner.
I was really looking foward to trying some real Thai food in a local restaurant. I let her order and all this food started coming to the table and it looked fantastic. I started eating but then I realised she wasn't actually eating anything just kind of pushing the food around the plate. Put me well off! So I stopped eating and finished my beer and then the waitress came and took all the food away again!
I can understand the Thai reasoning behind it now but at the time it freaked me out. I made my excuses and went and got completely pissed up.

Please enlighten me.   The first line had me real interested but then??

Wanted to buy a PC game to a relative.

Picked a box and went to the cashier.

Was told they were out of stock (the infamous Mai Mee).

I asked why they still displayed the empty boxes, and I was looked at like I was an idiot for asking that moronic question.

The most weird was probably when I came here the first time, and I was classified as very handsome.

Archived