What is the strangest thing that has happened to you in Thailand

Bangkok Barry

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Synchronicity. Long may it continue. Probably just blind luck. I should've been destroyed and buried many times, but something always seems to turn up at the last moment. I'm very aware of the problems with induction though, just cos this happened in the past doesn't mean it will happen in the future.

22 hours ago, Travel2003 said:

Was told they were out of stock (the infamous Mai Mee).

I asked why they still displayed the empty boxes, and I was looked at like I was an idiot for asking that moronic question.

This happened to me yesterday when I went to buy the most common type of antibiotic readily available around the world. I was just about to write a thread about Mai mee too

Mai mee! Eff off you don't have it in Thailand

On 1/1/2017 at 1:41 PM, kenk24 said:

Only counts if immaculate conception... but I'm with you - I was given one too. 

Don't worry about it, a lot of people wrongly think the immaculate conception refers to the virgin birth of Christ. Carry on.

Nana Plaza was the strangest and most wonderful thing that ever happened to me, but I can't write about what happened on here :wub:. Some of those shows wouldn't be allowed now, even in LOS.

Other strange things -

wanted to take my Thai GF on a tour, but they didn't allow Thais on it.

seeing a bike lane painted on the pavement beside Sukhumvit between Soi 1 and Asoke

being given a jug of water in an hotel that had loads of black things in it and being told by my GF that I couldn't say anything to the waiter ( I didn't drink it though ) about it.

Trying to find an address on a road that changed it's name for a bit and then changed back to the original name further down.

Trying to choose the right road when it diverged into two roads with the same number.

Staying in an hotel that always had loads of women hanging about in the lobby ( I was very innocent back then ).

Taking a van to Krabi that stopped at the top of a hill and the driver coasted down to the bottom, then made us all get out and push to get it started ( flat battery ).

Buildings that have power lines going through the roof because they didn't want to raise the lines.

The gogo in Patong that had only little ladies ( as in little people, though not dwarves ).

Many other things that would only happen in LOS, but I don't have enough time.

On 1/2/2017 at 11:41 PM, BaanOz said:

Haha I remember that at NASA disco in BKK in the 80's and I was a bit surprised.

Whatever happened to that place NASA Spaceadrome? I think at the end of the night something that looked like a spaceship dropped from the roof with lights flashing. Found it ...was ripped down for the airport rail link http://aladdin.st/hornet/nasa.htm

The spaceship transited the ceiling on a long wire. Still going in the mid 90s.

I was amazed by all the young Thais with bottles of Johnnie. Hadn't realised there were rich Thais till then.

Was waiting at a pier on the river in Bangkok and a bloated body was in the water. He was floating face up with his right arm extended out.

River Cops came along on a boat and couldn't get him into their boat, mostly because none of them wanted to get wet.

In the end, they just tied a roap around his arm and sped off up the river towing him in their wake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i was living in cm with Thai g/f at the time of tsunami 

her sister and husband worked in bkk at one of the biggest  funeral homes

and asked to come down finding the place was welcomed by them and owners 

a lot of people working in building  as was very busy from tsunami  

we started drinking with them but they had to work also

they were building coffins preparing bodies every where around us

natural for them  next insisted we stay there as had rooms for workers

because i drank a lot beer was often wandering through the coffins and workers to go to toilet

a scary night

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to commit the cardinal sin of this site and say that the strangest thing that happened to me in Thailand was that I met a girl in the bar, fell in love and married her. That was over ten years ago and it was the best decision I ever made! Just being honest. Easier than self delusion or trying to keep some BS story straight about how you met over sum tum in a five star restaurant! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The sweet part:
A Thai unexpectedly walks in the door, grabs me, then a big hug, followed by a big kiss.

The weird part:
It was a student. Male. In the faculty men's restroom. I was already there, legitimately. He was not.

The weirder part:
Reported it to my Thai boss. Response: hilarious laughter.

2 minutes ago, Fookhaht said:

The sweet part:
A Thai unexpectedly walks in the door, grabs me, then a big hug, followed by a big kiss.

The weird part:
It was a student. Male. In the faculty men's restroom.

Similar. on my first trip to Thailand all those years ago, I had a few beers in a bar and went to the loo. literally midstream, two hands reached up and started massaging my shoulders. I nearly hit the roof. But not as high as i jumped when he cracked my neck. 

It was the last thing I was expecting in a toilet. Weird, put me right off my aim as well.

22 hours ago, Dale59 said:

I'm going to commit the cardinal sin of this site and say that the strangest thing that happened to me in Thailand was that I met a girl in the bar, fell in love and married her. That was over ten years ago and it was the best decision I ever made! Just being honest. Easier than self delusion or trying to keep some BS story straight about how you met over sum tum in a five star restaurant! Lol

Met mine in a 4 star, bar that is 555

Was in Pattaya with a This friend last year. I took him to an hiso gentlemen's club (it was his birthday). At some point I had to use the bathroom and went in. It had a male attendant. He handed me a warm towel to wipe my face and hands. Very nice. I then went to a urinal and started my business.

Next thing I know I feel hands on my shoulders giving me a massage! I looked back and it was the attendant. I literally did not know what to say or do. I almost pissed on my shoes. I quickly finished, washed my hands and left (I gave him 40 bhat tip).

I told my Thai friend what happened and he said the same thing happened to him. I asked it this was common and he told me certainly not!

Oh, its common all over the world alright.... in prison.
0310fed272636918184bf0ba11f03758.jpg

1st time in Phuket 10 years ago sitting at the front of a bar with a mate, 1st timer also, drinking beer watching the crowd go by in Bangla Road.

About 5 minutes into it a beautiful little petite thing walks past staring at me with mini handbag half way up her arm hanging off of it, and smiling at me, so I smiles back, my mate looks at me and I looks at him, I said, she eyeballing you or is she eyeballing me, he said you mate, go for it, so I bounces off my chair and starts up a conversation with her, now remember this is our 1st time in Phuket, she says, you have hotel, I said to myself, she ain't wasting anytime, and my reply was yes, she puts her arm in mine and points to the tuk tuk, so we start walking away, and I yell out to my mate to stay there as I will be back, this beautiful little creature says you give me 1,000 baht for bang bang short time, I said, no problem, and too myself said damn that's cheap for this piece of pussy, also not knowing the going rate, then she stops before we go into the tuk tuk, and says in a quiet, yet high pitched voice, Iman, and I said, I Michael, she shook her head and said, no no, Iman, and I replied again, I Michael, again she shook her head, no no, Iman, and again I said, I Michael, she stopped, looked me dead centre in the eyes, (damn she was hot), looking frustrated and showed me her arm making a gesture and pointing to her wrist to her elbow and said I have C-ck, "I MAN", I was totally confused, she again said "I MAN", I Ladyboy, not knowing what a Ladyboy was, I got the 2nd part loud and clear, I went into panic mode and waved no no oh sorry and went back to my mate, who said whats up, It's a F'n bloke, he said shut up, I said seriously, it told me its got a C-ck, he said that's probably why every other guy she was talking to before she gazed her eyes upon you took off after about 10 seconds of talking, it was at that point I realised that I had a true mate with me in Phuket, suffice to say I kind of regret not stepping over the line with that Ladyboy....lol.  

As soon as you said "handbag halfway up her arm". The first thing a Thai girl told me on arriving in LOS was that was how you know it a LB.

this was back in '81, off Phuket

We were heading out to o the day trip, to the James Bond Island, on the longtailboat

Yeah, there was the usual big splashes, the plastic sheets and the wet cameras...

but what was scary is that up on the bow of the boat was this fella sitting precariously...

He was riding shotgun

This was still the era of pirates, and this fella was equipped with a sawn-off piece

I kept looking behind us...

as we didn't have a TailEndCharlie sitting on the Stern (thanks to the clunky donk taking up all the room)

Technically it was an impossibility - like having a rear gunner on an F-111...

9 hours ago, Panda13 said:

As soon as you said "handbag halfway up her arm". The first thing a Thai girl told me on arriving in LOS was that was how you know it a LB.

At least you knew what one was, I didn't have the faintest inclination. However I got off lightly, but not for a mate of mine some years later who had been here only once, I explained everything too him, he was pissed as a fart, and was going back to the hotel and he ended up with a LB off the street, unbeknown to us, and the LB took his money and his iPhone 4s at the time, he of course kept saying I was talking through my a$$ and he kept thinking otherwise until I took him to reception to see the photocopy of the LB's ID card, the look on his face was priceless, as they say, and I told him not to worry because what happens in Thailand, stays in Thailand, and as soon as he went back to his room and I returned to the breakfast table to finish breakfast with the boys, I let the cat out of the bag 555

I went to the funeral of a man who had been shot in the head, they did not burn the body but buried it in the local temple. The strange bit came 3 years latter when we dug him up and carried his bones around the village, after every one had there photos taken holding his skull complete with a hole in it we had a second funeral where his bones were burnt.

Archived