Visa Exempt Entries Now 30 Days At Border Crossings No More 15 Days

This could be good news for me but......................... I will ask the experts here on this forum first.

I arrived here in November 2016 from Brussels on a 30 days Visa exempt. I bought another 30 days at Chiang Mai immigration. Now I will have to leave the country onJanuary the 9th. I was planning to go to Vientiane to get me a tourist-visa but as I will be leaving the country (have to start my new job february 1) this new 30 days-rule could give me another "money-saving" possibility. I am now in Pattaya and plan to stay there until I have to fly out so if I did a land border-trip to Malaysia or Cambodia would that give me the needed 30 days ?

I already came in on a Visa exempt in November 2016 so does that make a difference ?. I have a confirmed flight out-ticket to show if needed.

What should I do ?......Get the tourist visa in Laos or try to do it cheap and cross a land-border with Malaysia or Cambodia and save me the hotel and the Laos-visa costs AND have more days in Pattaya.

In 2016 I have been in Thailand from february 2016 until april 2016 and from august until september 2016 both times on a visa-exempt entry with 30 days extra coming in from Frankfurt.

So what should I do ? 

Edited by marty14

9 minutes ago, marty14 said:

This could be good news for me but......................... I will ask the experts here on this forum first.

I arrived here in November 2016 from Brussels on a 30 days Visa exempt. I bought another 30 days at Chiang Mai immigration. Now I will have to leave the country onJanuary the 9th. I was planning to go to Vientiane to get me a tourist-visa but as I will be leaving the country (have to start my new job february 1) this new 30 days-rule could give me another "money-saving" possibility. I am now in Pattaya and plan to stay there until I have to fly out so if I did a land border-trip to Malaysia or Cambodia would that give me the needed 30 days ?

I already came in on a Visa exempt in November 2016 so does that make a difference ?. I have a confirmed flight out-ticket to show if needed.

What should I do ?......Get the tourist visa in Laos or try to do it cheap and cross a land-border with Malaysia or Cambodia and save me the hotel and the Laos-visa costs AND have more days in Pattaya.

In 2016 I have been in Thailand from february 2016 until april 2016 and from august until september 2016 both times on a visa-exempt entry with 30 days extra coming in from Frankfurt.

So what should I do ? 

You could get a visa exempt entry at a land border but I suggest you avoid the crossing at Poi Pet to Cambodia. The 2 nearest to Pattaya are friendlier.

No need for the long trip to the Malaysian border.

• Like 1

On ‎31‎.‎12‎.‎2016 at 2:13 PM, visarunner said:

Obvious Hong Kong is a mistake, as they have Bilateral Agreement.

Means Laos, Macau, Vietnam, Mongolia have still unlimited entries for 30days.

Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Peru entries for 90days, South Korean by Air only.

If they try to stop Visa Run they should have included Laotian and Vietnamese as they have 500-600 runner per day, while Farang/Filipinos about 60 per day. 

Shure not Laos, Vietnam or any of the ASEAN countries.. (Filipinos are ASEAN).

But for all other foreigners - just follow the law as we like when people do in our countries.

2 times 30 days is far enough.. means can stay about 90 days legal in Thailand par year as tourists.

Most of  the other border runners are illegal working save the tax in their country of origin and

don't pay any in Thailand....

8 minutes ago, Hardy99 said:

Shure not Laos, Vietnam or any of the ASEAN countries.. (Filipinos are ASEAN).

But for all other foreigners - just follow the law as we like when people do in our countries.

2 times 30 days is far enough.. means can stay about 90 days legal in Thailand par year as tourists.

Most of  the other border runners are illegal working save the tax in their country of origin and

don't pay any in Thailand....

Maybe it is 120 days (not 90 days) for 2 entries, counting in 30 day extension on each..

Glegolo

Nice to see something that has an actual definitive number in terms of allowances per year for Border crossing entitlements (rather than guessing) - However any thoughts on if this will start to have any impact on mixing border crossing with air crossings?

Crossings by air have (unofficially) allowed 6 visa exempt entries (before the questioning starts from immigration).  

Hence if you switch after your second  border exempt entry crossing and then start entering using an airport for extra  entries  - Any guess that this is still going to work ?

Just to clarify, If I come to Thailand on 30 day visa exempt, and visit neighbouring country for a week , coming back to Thailand for last days, do I have to get "new" visa exempt , or will my original be sufficient given I still have plenty time on it???

7 minutes ago, wigan said:

Just to clarify, If I come to Thailand on 30 day visa exempt, and visit neighbouring country for a week , coming back to Thailand for last days, do I have to get "new" visa exempt , or will my original be sufficient given I still have plenty time on it???

You r30 day entry will end as soon as your leave the country. You would then get a new visa exempt entry when you entered the country.

ubonjoe

• Star Member
  •  

"More like which one does not allow a same day turnaround. Only Sadao and occasionally Padang Besar do not allow it.

But there are 3 crossings to Myanmar that do not allow any crossings for new exempt entry. Ban Phu Nam Ron, Mae Sot and Mae Sai do not allow them."

I have a valid Burmese visa in my passport and was hoping to enter Myanmar and return through Mae Sot after 2 weeks. Would you be so kind to confirm that it is not possible to get a visa exempt at Mae Sot after visiting Mynamar?

Much appreciated,

Mickey

The 'only twice' rule is very restrictive for real tourists, especially the backpacker or travel 'rough' type.  I see a few folks being stranded at the land borders, which are not conveniently near airports. This includes a friend of mine who likes to travel by land and there are 4 different nations to visit from a base of operations (my spare bedroom) in Thailand.

If they wish to stop border crossing being used as an extension there must be a better way.

9 hours ago, mickeymiles said:

ubonjoe

• Star Member
  •  

"More like which one does not allow a same day turnaround. Only Sadao and occasionally Padang Besar do not allow it.

But there are 3 crossings to Myanmar that do not allow any crossings for new exempt entry. Ban Phu Nam Ron, Mae Sot and Mae Sai do not allow them."

I have a valid Burmese visa in my passport and was hoping to enter Myanmar and return through Mae Sot after 2 weeks. Would you be so kind to confirm that it is not possible to get a visa exempt at Mae Sot after visiting Mynamar?

Much appreciated,

Mickey

You should note I wrote a new visa exempt entry. That means just going across the border to get a new entry. If you have a Myanmar visa and spend a few days there and return via Mae Sot they will allow you to enter on a visa exempt entry

• Like 1

I'm a Canadian living and working in China. For the past four years I came to Thailand twice a year (for eight weeks each time - 30 days, plus 30 day extension) on visa exempt entries staying at resorts in Khao Lak. That is, until last summer when Immigration at HKT denied me entry... until they extorted 2000 baht from me (no receipt).

I won't be coming to Thailand this winter and will spend several thousand dollars in Cambodia. 

So a casual tourist that arrived on a basic simple visa exemption decides to stay a few extra months will have to make some other plans or get a SETV in advance, or plan a few plane trips in and out.  I doubt that will affect that many people in those situations.  But this definitely may impact many of those english teachers and other types of workers that are here on somewhat loose or a bit dodgy work situations.  On every one of my visa runs in the past there were usually one or two people making a quick turnaround border run. 

19 minutes ago, cruisemonkey said:

I'm a Canadian living and working in China. For the past four years I came to Thailand twice a year (for eight weeks each time - 30 days, plus 30 day extension) on visa exempt entries staying at resorts in Khao Lak. That is, until last summer when Immigration at HKT denied me entry... until they extorted 2000 baht from me (no receipt).

I won't be coming to Thailand this winter and will spend several thousand dollars in Cambodia. 

A drop in a very large ocean, don't think you are anything special or that anyone cares - you are not and they do not.

Does Cambodia have resorts like Khao Lak? Why not just get a 60 day tourist visa for Thailand or fly into BKK? The 2 visa exempt entries per year doesn't apply to entries by air.

16 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

A drop in a very large ocean, don't think you are anything special or that anyone cares - you are not and they do not.

No maybe not, but what YOU need to grasp, is the fact that this canadian guy may represent a lot of people in similar circumstances, and also in the end influence the general opinion about Thailand...

Glegolo

• Like 2

Let me get this straight.....Lao nationals not affected by the 2 times rule? but Vietnamese are?

Same bilateral agreement!

If this goes trough the all foreigners in Laos for example who get a month at the border (border run or 2 months when married and not working will be effected..........and how about the goodies shoppers from Laos into Thailand.

Huge investments are made on the Thai border towns to supply neighboring countries (and their expats).......

Laos recently imposed a 10 % VAT tax @the border.....smart move (for 2 time shoppers.)

16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You could get a visa exempt entry at a land border but I suggest you avoid the crossing at Poi Pet to Cambodia. The 2 nearest to Pattaya are friendlier.

No need for the long trip to the Malaysian border.

Thanks Joe,

Just one more question............................if I, instead of Pattaya, would spend my last 30 days in Chiang Mai could I do this at the border crossing at the fourth Laos friendship bridge at Chiang Kong or is this a "Poi Pet-like crossing ?. I know that unfortunately a Mae Sai crossing into Myanmar is not possible although I not know why.............but T.I.T. 

Thanks for your answers.

Regards and have a nice 2017

Marty

42 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

I know... but Thailand is cutting it's own throat (one tiny little nick at a time).

41 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Does Cambodia have resorts like Khao Lak? Why not just get a 60 day tourist visa for Thailand or fly into BKK? The 2 visa exempt entries per year doesn't apply to entries by air.

There is no Thai embassy or consulate where I live and I would have to go to Beijing to get a visa... that means two days of travel and two days in Beijing. I'll go to Cambodia and get VOA.

Thailand says it wants "quality tourists" and has a policy of "good guys in, bad guys out" ... but treats someone (who comes, spends money and obeys all the rules), like shit. The Thieves all already there and can't be kicked out - they're Immigration officers.

I'm not coming back. Simple. I'll send all the Chinese... 

Edited by cruisemonkey

9 minutes ago, marty14 said:

Just one more question............................if I, instead of Pattaya, would spend my last 30 days in Chiang Mai could I do this at the border crossing at the fourth Laos friendship bridge at Chiang Kong or is this a "Poi Pet-like crossing ?. I know that unfortunately a Mae Sai crossing into Myanmar is not possible although I not know why.............but T.I.T. 

No problem at Chiang Kong.

Mae Sai and 2 other crossings to Myanmar do not allow border hops for a new visa exempt entry. Not sure why but it could be a request from the other side of the border and/or concern about a person not being allowed re-entry to the country.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

No problem at Chiang Kong.

Mae Sai and 2 other crossings to Myanmar do not allow border hops for a new visa exempt entry. Not sure why but it could be a request from the other side of the border and/or concern about a person not being allowed re-entry to the country.

OK !!1 Thanks Joe for your quick reply....Chiang Mai it will be then......30 more days in Pattaya will surely kill my budget and myself.

On 1/2/2017 at 9:22 AM, marty14 said:

Thanks Joe,

Thanks for your answers.

Regards and have a nice 2017

Marty

I just returned from my border-crossing at Chiang Khong. Compared to the "crowded" crossing at Nong Khai this was very very relaxed. Only 11 people went in the bus towards Laos with me so very very relaxed. Entry into Laos went smoothly too. 

The return to Thailand went smoothly too. Except for two British travelers and me only a load of Chinese "tourists" in the bus. 

At the entry-point the officer wanted to see my ticket out and after showing that to him he started asking questions about where I will stay during these last 3 weeks. Told him my plans and then he turned his monitor around and showed me a big flashing red sticker on the screen. That means, so he told me, that according to the computer I am coming to Thailand "too much".  He let me in but he kept a copy of my ticket and urged me to fly out February 1 (which I will and must do). I asked him what the "rule" was about when the computer starts flashing and his answer was 3 times a year an entry on a visa-exempt and every time buying a 30 days extension at the same  local immigration (Chiang Mai) looks suspicious. Staying mostly at one spot during my time here is, by the computers standards, not regarded as typical tourist behavior.

I asked him what I could do to avoid all this and he answered: every time get a tourist-visa before you enter.  

Chiang Khong was relaxed but..........they ask questions.  But all in a polite/ non-threatening way. In fact the officer was trying to help me . A big difference compared to the sometimes "stress-crazy" officers at Bangkok-airports.

Two British travelers doing the same thing had the same "problems". But they also could show two tickets out within the 30 days so they also could enter. 

The Chinese "tourists" have their own entry-gate (only Chinese passports) and were let in without much questioning. Made me wonder but T.I.T.

So for my next visit in june I will get me the tourist-visa and hopefully avoid all this.

And....yes I got 30 days by the way

Edited by marty14
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, GrimmArt said:

From which territories/locations is better to enter Thailand through the land?

If you are already out of the country all neighboring countries are the same.

If wanting to leave here and do a new entry. Only one out of 4 crossing to Myanmar allow a crossing for a visa exempt entry.

There is no visa required for Malaysia. Laos and Cambodia require you to get a visa on arrival.

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 10:21 PM, mickeymiles said:

ubonjoe

• Star Member
  •  

Much appreciated,

Mickey

Yes no problem to return on visa-exempt in your case. Only same day re-entries are not allowed if attempting to return on visa-exempt. However, if you've had 2 or more land border entries so far this year, you won't be allowed to re-enter.

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:54 AM, marty14 said:

I just returned from my border-crossing at Chiang Khong. Compared to the "crowded" crossing at Nong Khai this was very very relaxed. Only 11 people went in the bus towards Laos with me so very very relaxed. Entry into Laos went smoothly too. 

The return to Thailand went smoothly too. Except for two British travelers and me only a load of Chinese "tourists" in the bus. 

At the entry-point the officer wanted to see my ticket out and after showing that to him he started asking questions about where I will stay during these last 3 weeks. Told him my plans and then he turned his monitor around and showed me a big flashing red sticker on the screen. That means, so he told me, that according to the computer I am coming to Thailand "too much".  He let me in but he kept a copy of my ticket and urged me to fly out February 1 (which I will and must do). I asked him what the "rule" was about when the computer starts flashing and his answer was 3 times a year an entry on a visa-exempt and every time buying a 30 days extension at the same  local immigration (Chiang Mai) looks suspicious. Staying mostly at one spot during my time here is, by the computers standards, not regarded as typical tourist behavior.

I asked him what I could do to avoid all this and he answered: every time get a tourist-visa before you enter.  

Chiang Khong was relaxed but..........they ask questions.  But all in a polite/ non-threatening way. In fact the officer was trying to help me . A big difference compared to the sometimes "stress-crazy" officers at Bangkok-airports.

Two British travelers doing the same thing had the same "problems". But they also could show two tickets out within the 30 days so they also could enter. 

The Chinese "tourists" have their own entry-gate (only Chinese passports) and were let in without much questioning. Made me wonder but T.I.T.

So for my next visit in june I will get me the tourist-visa and hopefully avoid all this.

And....yes I got 30 days by the way

Entered through CHiang Khong recently and didn't notice any special gate for Chinese, only for Lao and Thais, unless Chiang Khong has a "Lao and Chinese passports" lane just like the Mukdaharn border has a "Lao and Vietnamese passports" lane perhaps it does, just that I didn't see it. Probably they just went through the same entry gate because that's what they were told to do. Also, the reason they were let in without much questioning is unlike you, this was probably their first trip to the country (or they are infrequent travelers).

Definitely a good idea to get that tourist visa, avoids a lot of trouble.

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 9:11 AM, hgma said:

Let me get this straight.....Lao nationals not affected by the 2 times rule? but Vietnamese are?

Same bilateral agreement!

If this goes trough the all foreigners in Laos for example who get a month at the border (border run or 2 months when married and not working will be effected..........and how about the goodies shoppers from Laos into Thailand.

Huge investments are made on the Thai border towns to supply neighboring countries (and their expats).......

Laos recently imposed a 10 % VAT tax @the border.....smart move (for 2 time shoppers.)

Thailand does not care about foreigners living in Laos who can't get the right paperwork to get a proper visa there and who in any case only make up a tiny percentage of total border crossers. I think it may only be a matter of time before Laos too no longer tolerates these "visa runners". In the meantime, they can fly into Thailand, catch a bus to Vietnam (very easy to get a visa, some nationalities are visa exempt) or Cambodia (visa on arrival) or China (need a visa in advance) instead if they don't have a "proper" Lao visa. Or they can apply for as many Thai tourist visas until they are stopped by the Thai consulate.

I don't think Vietnamese are affected by this 2 times rule due to being part of the ASEAN bilateral agreement. Even if Lao citizens were treated more favorably, how can this be surprising when they share a direct border with Thailand, which Vietnam does not. Lao citizens have a lot of legitimate reasons to travel to Thailand, in some cases daily and certainly would be very much inconvenienced by any border crossing restrictions, which the Lao government would complain about, just like the Thai government has complained to its Lao counterpart about the 10% VAT tax, which it may be required to remove as it goes against the ASEAN free trade agreement.

Edited by jimster

• 2 weeks later...