Koh Samet National Park Entry Fee - Pay to Re-enter on a Daily Basis ?

justsignedin

I only once paid in Koh Samed and this was years ago. I think they only stop you if they see you coming with luggage, so actually staying inside the national park. Just visiting for the day seems to be free.

2 hours ago, wump said:

I only once paid in Koh Samed and this was years ago. I think they only stop you if they see you coming with luggage, so actually staying inside the national park. Just visiting for the day seems to be free.

They ousted the old officials recently, now they're going after everyone and the revenue has apparently tripled in terms of entrance fees for visitors and any vehicles they're using.

• 3 months later...

Coming off nadan pier on kho samed the last couple days, everyone is being made to pay 20 THB for "upkeep of the pier" is this legit? I haven't seen it mentioned on any of the guides or discussions.

If it's not legit what are the options to get it shut down? I'm guessing local high officials must be getting a cut of it, it's not a low profile thing.

Getting tired of being nickel-and-dimed all over the place.

The 20 Baht fee for the pier is standard as far as I know. What they should do is include it in the ticket price so they can hide the fact it even exists and everybody would be happy.

However I guess they wouldn't be able to keep track of it so have to do it this way.

Just now, sandrabbit said:

never heard of it but the new pier(s) shouldn't have been built anyway so it seems like the usual make it up as you go along.

Not sure I agree with you here. A centralized pier accomplishes a few things. One of those is minimizing damage to sensitive areas. It is also more pleasant for the passengers.

1 minute ago, anotheruser said:

Not sure I agree with you here. A centralized pier accomplishes a few things. One of those is minimizing damage to sensitive areas. It is also more pleasant for the passengers.

That's not what i meant, it didn't have planning permission.

• 1 year later...
On 4/25/2017 at 12:07 AM, anotheruser said:

No and a pier doesn't need planning permission here. It does need a transparent plan however.

What it does need is permission from the Forestry Department. There was a hoo-ha when the outgoing Forestry head of the area declared it illegal. Where was he during the building of it I wonder?  

Archived