Exit Chiang Rai

Domyamkung

I have talked to a few people that are preparing to leave Thailand as they can't get the proper visa.

Some gone for good and others will be back after three months.

All of these people have enough money to stay here and indeed, put a good bit of money into the local economy but for various reasons can't get a visa or don't want to go to the bother.

Surely Thailand is shooting itself in the foot by not welcoming these people.

Are you going home?

Edited by Domyamkung

I have talked to a few people that are preparing to leave Thailand as they can't get the proper visa.

All of these people have enough money to stay here and indeed, put a good bit of money into the local economy but for various reasons can't get a visa or don't want to go to the bother.

Are you going home?

Know a few that are off to the Philippines, you can renew painlessly in country for 12 months there, then must leave the country if it's a tourist visa. Most fly to HK and come back the next day.

Myself personally, I will go to Laos after Xmas and apply for a 60 day visa which will get me through to

March when i have to be back in Australia anyway. Will look at my options at the local Thai consulate then.

Well, if they have to stay out for 3 months it means they used up their 90 days. Why not go back on day 85 and apply for a tourist visa and then pop back to Thailand. All in a week's time.

That'd be a bit too logical for many of 'em

A problem arises for those, who want to stay permanently and for whatever reason don't qualify for 'long term' visa. They were able to do so before with a monthly visarun (every time 30 days 'visa on arrival'). Some expats did this for years.

It is possible that many of the expats here in Chiang Rai chose this town because it is close to a border. The perspective to travel to Penang for a tourist visa is less attractive from here.

Those who used this way to legitimate their stay here, can get three 'visa on arrival' since the introduction of the new rules the first of October.

During January 2007 they will have to go to a Thai Embassy or Consulate to get a 'real' visa, which in most cases will be a tourist visa for 90 days.

When this visa expires, they will have to go again to an embassy or consulate to repeat this as they already have three VOA during the last six months period (only three VOA are allowed during a period of six months).

The new 6 month periode doesn't start after the first tourist visa expires!

When Thai Embassies and Consulates will continue to give tourist visa on tourist visa the picture would be as following:

The first year since October : VOA 30+30+30, tourist visa 90+90, VOA 30+30+30,

the second year: tourist visa 90+90, VOA 30+30+30, tourist visa 90,

and the third year: tourist visa 90, VOA 30+30+30, tourist visa 90+90

If my calculation is correct one has to make the trip to Penang or elsewhere 8 times during every three year period, so an average of 2,7 times a year.

From Chiang Rai to Penang with a cheap flight, hotel and visa fee this would mean at least

(2,7 x appr. 15.000 Baht) 40.000 Baht a year plus (2,7 x 1.900) 5100 Baht for the extensions from 60 to 90 days of the tourist visas, plus the visa fees to be paid in Tachilek, average 2000 a year, would bring the total costs for the legal right to stay in Thailand on appr. 47.000 Baht.

It is certainly not funny, but this corresponds with 130 Baht a day!

For those who it concerns I hope my calculations are not correct, but I don't see another way.

I guess a trip to Kunming would cost about the same. Maybe Vientiane is cheaper.

Limbo :o

Edited by Limbo

But it's still not a safe bet since the discretion of immigrant officers can be used for whatever they feel like. Thaivisa.com even tells stories of people getting rejected applying for a tourist visa with the reply: "you have traveled enough" :o

Also, it's not that you can only get 3 visa on arrival within a period of 90 days. This is silly, the reason why so many people get confused about the 3 months, 3 visaruns is that most of the people concerned don't have a proper visa. If you want to go in and out of Thailand 50 times on a visa on arrival within a 90 day period it's fine.

Furhermore, if it was like most people believe, i.e 3 visa on arrivals and then a 90 day ousting it would mean that people staying 61 days on visa on arrivals (2 visaruns) will be affected by the same law and that doesn't make sense.

All in all, get a tourist visa, how difficult can it be?

I've been to Ventienne (sp?) several times - sometimes was able to get a double entry visa, other times not. My question; what requirements does the Thai embassy there require to get a double entry (two times 30 days)?

Once, awhile back, they required a letter on my Thai bank's letterhead saying I had some modest amount in my Thai bank account (I think it was just bt.20,000). But as we all know, everything is in flux and rules change day by day - depending on who's on duty and which side of the bed they woke up on , etc. Anyhow, any tips on how to get a good result in ventienne is appreciated.

Myself personally, I will go to Laos after Xmas and apply for a 60 day visa

...Are you going home?

Maybe.

But leaving Thailand? Definitely.

Plans to buy a house: Cancelled

Plans to buy a new car: Cancelled

Plans to start not one but two small businesses: Cancelled

Plans to eventually retire here: Cancelled

Etc.

Yes, I am in the same boat. Got the nasty red stamp last time I was at Vientiane for a single-entry Turst Visa. That was a wake-up call. They are basically telling me that I will not be granted another one. Fine. Laos has been fun, anyway. Goodbye.

It seems to be a trend, too. Pretty soon they will all be like this. Even Penang.

I have been combing the web lately (gee, who doesn't do THAT these days,... LOL), and have settled on a few alternative countries that have their act together and don't alienate long-term, law-abiding tourists like myself.

Like many others, I also have only a modest investment here (some furniture and appliances in a nice, quiet rental house) and can pick up and move at a moment's notice. But I have a few more months to finalize my plans, first, so no rush, as yet.

Oh, and some of you may notice that I'm a "newbie" poster here, .. LOL.. , but I've been lurking on this site for a few years, just never had the inkling to participate until now.

So, all you "CR newbies" needing advice on living in CR ask away. Do it now because in a few months I'm likely to be gone, too (and just may never come back, either...)

My question; what requirements does the Thai embassy [in Vientiane] require to get a double entry (two times 30 days)?

I'm pretty sure it's only single-entry now.

To get a double entry, you'd have to take a plane to SG (and a have a "clean" passport, too)...

Not worth it, IMO...

Know a few that are off to the Philippines, you can renew painlessly in country for 12 months there, then must leave the country if it's a tourist visa.

Just as long as they stay south of the "typhoon belt". Cebu looks like a decent bet, but definitely not the Manila area. They just got clobbered again big time.

Seems to be happening almost every year now...

it seems they arent interested in long term stay farang without proper permits/visas.

so why not get one?

if you are working here, your company should provide one.

if you are independantly wealthy or retired here, maybe try one of the following:

find a part time job teaching that will grant you the visa. do the minimal hours and you might actual like it if youve been bored.

volunteer at a charity or ngo that will grant you the visa in trade for your goodwill.

You realize the food in the P.I. is terrible - worse than Pai

I beg to differ. The expat community there have started excellent restaruants all over the islands. German, Italian, Mexican, you name it. Pinoy food varies but I've had some great meals. Once in Southern Luzon (South of Manila) an old lady cooked me fried chicken that excelled any I've eaten anywhere in the world.

If your going to live their anyway you can buy virtually anything in the supermarkets and make your own cooking arrangements.

....or they will find that the expat community will drop considerably.

Maybe that's the general idea?

Aimed at the Pattaya expat community which seems to outnumber local thais. Unfortunately it will have the same effect on the higher class expats in Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai.

• 4 weeks later...

Are you going home?

Getting a visa, the rules change and so quickly, it appears to be getting harder and harder, particulary if you want to stay long term, plus investment, expats that want to invest money, buy a house or a small business, realise its just not safe. It would be refreshing if they introduced rules that benefit us?

yes ,there seems to always be a way around the rules, but I dont know about you, it gets boring.

Theres a number of countries opening there arms to foreigners, they appreciate the expat brings cash and tourism they have easier visa rules, allowing long term stay and provide protection for the investor, if you buy a house at least you can own it.

In my view its only a matter of time. maybe not today maybe not tommorrow, but over time, expat numbers will drop. Like most I really like being here, but with the way things are heading it makes sense to look at other options.

Lets just hope that they lighten up a little bit on these restrictions and revert back to the way things used to be, or they will find that the expat community will drop considerably.

ITR :o

My guess is that, that is exactly what they are hoping for! :D

Lets just hope that they lighten up a little bit on these restrictions and revert back to the way things used to be, or they will find that the expat community will drop considerably.

ITR :o

My guess is that, that is exactly what they are hoping for! :D

I reckon that you are right on the money.

It seems that it's not going to be as bad as a lot of people thought. Leave the country every six months, Lao or Malaysia, get a 60 day tourist visa, renewable for thirty then do three 'visa runs'. Immigration has told several people that this will be acceptable.

I reluctantly agree with what a lot of people here and on other forums have been saying, if you can't afford to do that maybe you should consider relocating anyway.

The restrictions are directed against migrant workers who are here and cause problems stealing and credit card scams, and take jobs away from locals.

The Thai government wants these people to blow town. I do not think it is directed at us.

The foreign investor has been welcome in the past so I would think there will soon be a change to keep these people here, along with the steady income of retired people. We will see.

Aimed at the Pattaya expat community which seems to outnumber local thais. Unfortunately it will have the same effect on the higher class expats in Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai.

What makes you think the expats in Chiang Rai or Chiang Mai are higher class ?

Tell Vespa, Lamphun! Tell him!

:o

Limbo :D

Tell Vespa, Lamphun! Tell him!

:o

Limbo :D

:D:D:D

Thats the first time I have ever been referred to as "higher class" but I will take it.(maybe I am bringing down the average)

HAHA, maybe he mean that chiang rai and chiang mai is in the higher side of thailand.