How can newbies to Thailand avoid paying farang prices?

JimmyJ

Unless you are stupid, you will soon learn where to shop and where to avoid. I have a major advantage in that I have a frugal Thai wife. She knows which vendors are honest and which ones are not.

• Like 1

one of the sneaky ways is they put the Thai price in Thai script numbers ,  of course we have no idea  since we cannot read those numbers !

Not much you can do about it , even if you do know the scam !

OHHH and never take a taxi sitting in front of your Hotel , stop a moving Taxi with its light on.....

if they ask you "how much you pay ? " tell them METER..........and wait for the next  one.......

Edited by oldcarguy
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, A1Str8 said:

E.g when it comes to accommodation, stinky guesthouses love to overcharge folks but I have yet to experience double pricing at Shangri-la. Or when it comes to eating, you can eat at the roadside and stumble on varying prices depending on your race and nationality but I have never experienced such double standards at Le Normandie. 

Yeah, instead of paying normal prices , you happily pay over the odds at hotels :)

Guest houses and hotels do not over charge , its a set price .

If you are rich enough to only ever frequent top end establishments ,  then congratulations too you , if you consider the going rate for food to be 

Speaking Thai can help to a considerable degree.  It's not that speaking Thai in and of itself is some magic protective shield that makes you immune to "farang pricing," it's that it shows scammers that you're not just off the plane and that you are probably aware of many of the usual scams, so many--not all--scammers will not try them on you, save them for weaker prey, and just resign themselves to charging you the Thai (real) price.

And, for the "Thaier than thou" Somchai apologist crowd, I am NOT saying that all Thais are scammers--I'm just talking right now about the ones that are.

Note that for the most part, I'm NOT talking about farang pricing as pertains to entrance to museums and other attractions, etc.  There are few reprieves from that (still--I once got away with not paying the farang entry fee to Koh Samet, after I spoke Thai to the park ranger, and my girlfriend told them I was a teacher, living in Thailand (I am a teacher, but I don't live in Thailand!). 

I'm talking about things like transportation (I NEVER have any problems with taxis trying to scam me, and I've never paid inflated prices for vans, etc.) and even housing (meaning that if you can speak Thai, you can easily walk in to an apartment building outside of tourist-heavy areas, where almost only Thais live, and where the management speaks next-to-no English, inquire about a room, and end up renting one for exactly what all your taxi driver, food vendor, and sex worker neighbors are paying), and sometimes, street food as well.  Reading Thai can also help, since sometimes farang prices are posted in English (in places like hair salons), while the real (Thai) price is posted only in Thai.  I guarantee you, if you can read the Thai price, they will be so impressed they will absolutely give it to you.

If you're going to live here, learn to speak--and preferably to read--Thai.

"Just-arrived" newbies, though?  Especially those only visiting?  It's kind of inevitable you're going to pay farang (tourist) prices.  But hey, after all--you're a TOURIST!  And paying the ridiculous (for Thais) price of 400 baht for an hour of massage (as opposed to the Thai price of 250-300 baht for two hours) is not going to break you...it's still better than the 1,000 baht an hour it is where I live (USA)!!!

Edited by Saastrajaa

I never buy or pay for anything that does not have a price tag on it. This has hopefully made some impact over the years on the profit for those idiots who do not put prices on their stuff.

Edited by AlQaholic
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

I never buy or pay for anything that does not have a price tag on it. This has hopefully made some impact over the years on the profit for those idiots who do not put prices on their stuff.

Sure, but it is tough to put a price tag on a chicken breast being roasted in a market... 

9 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

This is really a stupid post.

It is not stupid, just a little elitist. My friend, 'Charlie from another planet' likes expensive/classy hotels in Bkk and I have enjoyed the Shangri La as well.. but I don't think it will help the OP any... and these hotels, like all hotels, if you buy online their prices fluctuate like the stock market which though understandable is a form of price manipulation too...  

9 hours ago, A1Str8 said:

Lol the op asked a simple question and all the long time know it all expats are unable 2 give a proper answer, which suggests that they indeed pay the jacked up prices reserved for foreigners. 

The first solution is to have money. If you have money you will go to places where double pricing doesn't exist. E.g when it comes to accommodation, stinky guesthouses love to overcharge folks but I have yet to experience double pricing at Shangri-la. Or when it comes to eating, you can eat at the roadside and stumble on varying prices depending on your race and nationality but I have never experienced such double standards at Le Normandie. 

Whenever you experience double pricing, you need to remind yourself that it is happening because at that particular moment you are dealing with the lowest form of humanity. Not because they don't have money but because the only way to have money in their opinion is to shortchange others which is way low. 

The other way is to be able to afford what the average person can but if that is the case then you will inevitably stumble upon said beings and double standards because that's what you have access to. Then whenever it happens you can be mad and react in any way you want but that won't change a thing because given your situation, those are the people you interact with. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sanemax said:

I went into a bar the other night and one of the ladies was drinking orange juice , which costs 50 Baht , when I bought the same drink, I got charged 120 Baht!!!!!

I also had to pay the bar 500 Baht to take her out for a meal and I was also required to pay her 1500 Baht the next morning .

The very next day , just as the bar was closing , a Thai guy came and picked her up and drove off togethger on his motorbike and he didnt have to pay 500 Baht and I very much doubt whether he had to pay her 1500 Baht the next morning .

DOUBLE PRICING 

You should be happy he had your slopy seconds

14 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

Sorry to say has made zero impact. Just look round Mikes Mall in pattaya no prices on most clothes or the night market. Idiots!!a bit strong me thinks. Called market forces. Get what you can as we all do when sellingm

11 hours ago, sanemax said:

Thats exactly what I did recently .

Saw some street grilled chicken on sale ,

Waited for a Thai to buy one and saw he paid 100 Baht

I asked how much they were and was told 120 Baht

I just walked away , I didnt even bother offering 100 Baht

You obviously weren't hungry!

• Like 1

Maybe try not to have, the fresh sunburn, the camera around the neck, the "i love (insert tourist destination here)" t-shirt. Dont wai kids and dogs. 

Edited by Peterw42

one of the sneaky ways is they put the Thai price in Thai script numbers ,  of course we have no idea  since we cannot read those numbers !

Not much you can do about it , even if you do know the scam !

OHHH and never take a taxi sitting in front of your Hotel , stop a moving Taxi with its light on.....

if they ask you "how much you pay ? " tell them METER..........and wait for the next  one.......

I don't even say Meter, I just walk away. They don't deserve a response

26 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

Bar Girls  ?  ?    ??       ??         ???             ????

11 hours ago, sanemax said:

Thats exactly what I did recently .

Saw some street grilled chicken on sale ,

Waited for a Thai to buy one and saw he paid 100 Baht

I asked how much they were and was told 120 Baht

I just walked away , I didnt even bother offering 100 Baht

Ooh, you're a shrewd one.  You showed them!  20 baht is a whopping .55 USD, .53 Euro, or .45 British Pound.  You're a regular Donald Trump, you are (and by that I mean, bad businessman). 

18 hours ago, impulse said:

With the exception of entrance fees to some attractions, I don't look at them that way.  

There's always one price for people who know how to negotiate and another price for those who don't.  I get to decide what price I'm willing to pay.  Or I walk over to the next vendor and start negotiating again.  Sometimes, I go home empty handed.  But not often.  And so do locals.

Do your bargaining in the mornings - vendor is not always sure how business will go for the day and is willing to get sales early on. Later in day, if vendor has had a successful day then there is NO bargaining.

12 hours ago, sanemax said:

Many Western Countries have reduced prices for local people .

Entrance to Thai National parks are not a rip-off, the prices are clearly marked and if you consider it too be too expensive, then, dont go .

The price difference between fleang and Thai prices is 6 Pounds ish , it maybe unfair, but I just "Tut" and shrug my shoulders and quickly forget about it 

Some foreigners tend to be in a constant bad mood about having to pay more to go into the places that they hardly ever go to

The price difference between fleang and Thai prices is 6 Pounds ish , it maybe unfair, but I just "Tut" and shrug my shoulders and quickly forget about it 

You shrug your shoulders at a 10 times price hike due to not being Thai? What about 100 times? Still happy to pay more? 

Oh! Thailand does use pounds by the way!

1 minute ago, Saastrajaa said:

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:  May I remind you that this is THAIvisa.com?  Principles, you say?

^^^^^^

One of my favorite examples of farang twits exercising their "principles" is when they invariably get bad service in a bar or restaurant, then puff themselves up and march in defiant, self-righteous bluster up to the manager, spouting off some nonsense like, "good sir, I shall NOT be frequenting this establishment again.  YOU have lost a CUSTOMER, sir.  Good day to you!"

Even if you said the above in flawless Thai, no Somchai in the Kingdom would have the slightest idea what you were blathering about or why it could possibly matter.

You'll live a much longer, happier life not getting in a huff about 20 baht in Thailand.

And how is the reaction i advised in my earlier post (walk away) in any way similar to the scenario you just described?

Walking away and taking your business down the street is nothing like that waffle you just wrote.

25 minutes ago, YeahSiam said:

It's hardly about the money, is it? It's the principle.

ok, so if you are in a market where people bargain, and somebody quotes you 20 baht more than the last person, what principle is at work here? Just offer the same 100 baht... if you do not like shopping in markets where there is bargaining, go to a restaurant or supermarket... there are plenty of choices here. 

• Like 1