How can newbies to Thailand avoid paying farang prices?

JimmyJ

1 minute ago, lungnorm said:

Gee learn something every day. I have been to Thailand many many times for 2-3 months at a time and never heard of 7/12 stores. My Thai wife was not aware of them either. They must be a new thing prior to 2011? I have seen admittance fees into beaches, zoos, and parks with Thai and Ferang prices.

Of course She isnt going to tell you about them

When She  says that shes  just going around to 7/11 to buy something and can she have some money, She really goes to a 7/12 and buys that thing for HALF-PRICE and keeps the change

16 hours ago, A1Str8 said:

Lol the op asked a simple question and all the long time know it all expats are unable 2 give a proper answer, which suggests that they indeed pay the jacked up prices reserved for foreigners. 

The first solution is to have money. If you have money you will go to places where double pricing doesn't exist. E.g when it comes to accommodation, stinky guesthouses love to overcharge folks but I have yet to experience double pricing at Shangri-la. Or when it comes to eating, you can eat at the roadside and stumble on varying prices depending on your race and nationality but I have never experienced such double standards at Le Normandie. 

Whenever you experience double pricing, you need to remind yourself that it is happening because at that particular moment you are dealing with the lowest form of humanity. Not because they don't have money but because the only way to have money in their opinion is to shortchange others which is way low. 

The other way is to be able to afford what the average person can but if that is the case then you will inevitably stumble upon said beings and double standards because that's what you have access to. Then whenever it happens you can be mad and react in any way you want but that won't change a thing because given your situation, those are the people you interact with. 

So the really expensive places Thais don't go to don't have double pricing?

"Shop for groceries at places like Villa, Tops, Foodland or Gourmet Foodhalls - No dual pricing"

Already triple or four times the price for veggies. I'd rather be charged a little too much in the market than to pay Tops inflated prices.

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

When She  says that shes  just going around to 7/11 to buy something and can she have some money, She really goes to a 7/12 and buys that thing for HALF-PRICE and keeps the change

So every Thai wife and Girlfriend is part of this broader conspiracy ?

What about the Thais I see shopping in 7/11? Why are they not shopping at 7/12s.

What actually happens if a westerner tries to enter a 7/12 shop ?

What about wholsalers like Macro, where do they fit in, do they buy from 7/12s ?

Maybe that's what you expect from your wife/G/F's but my wife was always proud to announce any bargain she was able to get. Plus it was always her money I never had any she supported me. So much different than the usual Thai money grabbers. 

My favorite this time, in this good old classic subject, must be the one with all the conspiracy theories about the entire society being involved in over pricing.

This is good entertainment stuff, for free (no farang price).

• Like 2

Apart from my previous reply I forgot to mention we did everything together so that alone stuffs up your theory. insanemax

Update: my wife just gave me the "Im going to 7/11 story", so based on what I now know about 7/12s, I watched her from the balcony. Imagine my surprise when she actually went to 7/11, lol

to answer the question:

i think they cannot .in order to pay the right price you have to know it.

then you can take a pair of sunglasses at the night bazar ,no tourists watching-important to the vendor, and just quietly hand him 120bt at the same time.he will then tell you a ridiculously high price and you say nothing but keep extending the money and the glasses to him and smile looking him straight in the eye. wait a bit longer than comfortable.if he doesn't take the money return the item to its place keep smiling and leave.he will call after you. repeat....

strangely in other places like markets with vegetables i recently made the experience that if you again just give them all kinds of stuff you want like vegetables for example with out asking for a price at all ,let them weigh it all  and wait and give them money it comes out quite cheap.it is however possible they know me since i have been here for some time. try it for fun.you can always not buy,but they'll probably remember that too for next time.my thai wife ,a frugal mouse and bargainer galore,working the night market,some times is really surprised how well i do . thais have a complex psyche ,kinda like women.

5 hours ago, smotherb said:

Well, I do not believe that and my opinion is based upon almost 50 years of living in Asia and ten years living in Thailand. For example, I live in a non-tourist area and enjoy cheaper prices on almost everything I have also purchased in tourist areas--e.g., Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, Samui, Chiang Mai.  My house is a three-story row house with 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, backyard, carport and rooftop deck in a very nice in-town neighborhood; my rent just went up to B8k/mo. Meals in restaurants; local or Western, are cheaper than in the places above, I can buy a Jack Daniels and Soda--my drink of choice--for B60 in Hatyai, and its at least double that price in tourist areas mentioned above. I ride motorcycles and often get irritations in the eyes, the eye drops I prefer cost B30 where I live and the same eye drops in Phuket just a few months ago cost me B120. My wife is the shopper of the family or I could give you more specific examples, but she has often mentioned how high prices are in the tourist areas. 

You're getting market prices and overcharging mixed up, mate.

The prices you're paying for accommodation and drinks are commensurate with living in a part of Bangkok or wherever it is you live that's not central or considered convenient.

I'm not overcharged because I spend 200 baht on a vodka soda at my preferred bars in my old neighbourhood, Thonglor.

For what they offer (an eclectic, cosmopolitan crowd, an absence of tattooed bargirls, the kind of music I like and the ambience) it's a standard drink price.

I don't pay a "farang price" because Thais pay the same

I'm not overcharged because I pay north of 40k a month for my 120sqm split level condo in Asoke.

For what it offers (spitting distance of BTS, MRT, world class malls like EM Quartier, Emporium, Terminal 21, Western supermarkets, cinemas, gyms all within a 5 minute stroll) it's a good deal.

I don't pay a "farang price" because Thais pay the same

Hope that clears up your confusion.

I routinely shop at a TescoLotus Supermarket that opens at 6 AM. When something is on promotion you see wholesalers buying 100 boxes of Nescafe, cooking oil, or fish sauce to bring back to sell in their 7-12 type shops. My guess is that they do not sell the Nescafe or cooking oil or fish sauce for less than they paid at the TescoLotus where I could pay the same price on promotion if I were to buy the same.

Edited by JLCrab

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

So every Thai wife and Girlfriend is part of this broader conspiracy ?

What about the Thais I see shopping in 7/11? Why are they not shopping at 7/12s.

What actually happens if a westerner tries to enter a 7/12 shop ?

What about wholsalers like Macro, where do they fit in, do they buy from 7/12s ?

Thais can go to 7/11s and they keep the receipt and then they go to 7/12s and get a free item of whatever they purchased , making it HALF-PRICE .

5 hours ago, lungnorm said:

I would suggest you buy some goggles to wear when riding.

Yeah, I wear a full-faced helmet on the highway, but in town I wear wraparound safety glasses and a half-helmet. However, the point is not my choice of eye wear.

22 minutes ago, smotherb said:

It seems to me you are confused. You are paying much more than you need to because you want to be in Bangkok—which I consider a tourist area simply because of all the tourists there. I live in a very nice neighborhood in the central part of the largest city in the south of Thailand. I am encircled by modern shopping malls, restaurants, night clubs, good music, and goods and services businesses.

Market prices are more expensive in tourist areas, are they not? In some cases, the Thais pay similarly higher prices, but in others they do not. See how many Thais have paid the same as farangs for a house or condo, for repairs on their houses or cars, for service people to do things you want done. Go to a lawyer for any legal matter and see if a farang pays the same as a Thai.  Check-out the sin sot a Thai pays for a wife—and I doubt they pay for used goods, as the farang often does.

Some truth in this apart from the end of it. You may have paid more not all of us

Many Western Countries have reduced prices for local people .
Entrance to Thai National parks are not a rip-off, the prices are clearly marked and if you consider it too be too expensive, then, dont go .
   The price difference between fleang and Thai prices is 6 Pounds ish , it maybe unfair, but I just "Tut" and shrug my shoulders and quickly forget about it 
Some foreigners tend to be in a constant bad mood about having to pay more to go into the places that they hardly ever go to

I know what u are saying but some of those so called national parks are not worth 50p let alone 6 quid. I just refuse to go in any now, but then I did get bored of all that years ago.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

One thing I knew now if I don't want it right away just get it on ebay. The other year I needed a new power cable for my Samsung tablet. In tuk com could not get them past 300THB for a copy one. Before I got outside I ordered one of ebay from Hong Kong for about 50THB. Since then anything I need if I don't need it right away I check on ebay.

"Just-arrived" newbies, though?  Especially those only visiting?  It's kind of inevitable you're going to pay farang (tourist) prices.  But hey, after all--you're a TOURIST!  And paying the ridiculous (for Thais) price of 400 baht for an hour of massage (as opposed to the Thai price of 250-300 baht for two hours) is not going to break you...it's still better than the 1,000 baht an hour it is where I live (USA)!!!
I have never seen a massage place where the price are not displayed. Can you tell where there is such a place please?

6 hours ago, smotherb said:

It seems to me you are confused. You are paying much more than you need to because you want to be in Bangkok—which I consider a tourist area simply because of all the tourists there. I live in a very nice neighborhood in the central part of the largest city in the south of Thailand. I am encircled by modern shopping malls, restaurants, night clubs, good music, and goods and services businesses.

Market prices are more expensive in tourist areas, are they not? In some cases, the Thais pay similarly higher prices, but in others they do not. See how many Thais have paid the same as farangs for a house or condo, for repairs on their houses or cars, for service people to do things you want done. Go to a lawyer for any legal matter and see if a farang pays the same as a Thai.  Check-out the sin sot a Thai pays for a wife—and I doubt they pay for used goods, as the farang often does.

Again, this thread is about how to avoid being overcharged; it's not about whether I could get what I have for less by living in the arsse-end of nowhere

I would be being overcharged if I was paying 60k a month for my condo because that'd be more than my Thai neighbours are paying.

When I lived in England, I paid the going rate to live in a desirable part of central London.

Could I have got a similarly-specced place more cheaply if I'd chosen to live in Weybridge, Surrey? Of course I could but it wouldn't have suited my needs.

Do my lifestyle choices command a premium? Hell yes but I'm not being overcharged - I'm paying a price dictated by supply, demand and location.

If I wanted to be as myopic as you, I could easily say that you're the one being overcharged for where you live because you could get the same spec accommodation in Khon Kaen or Korat for less than what you're paying now but I haven't forgotten what the topic of discussion is.

Your comments on service people etc show just how naive you are. Do you really think farangs living outside tourist areas don't get overcharged by tradesmen?

If you wanted to hire a lawyer, do you really think the fact you live in a non-tourist area would lessen the chances of him or her bleeding you dry?

Wake up, man!

A couple of years ago, I needed to sort out parental rights for my daughter.

I called a bunch of provincial lawyers recommended in the family & children forum and got silly quotes ranging from 40,000 to 70,000 baht.

I ended up engaging a brief at a firm in Asoke's CBD for 20,000 baht.

I think that kinda puts paid to your daft argument 

22 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

If you were one of the following, you will pay more.

1. Chang singlet.

2. Singha singlet

3. Same Same T-shirt

4. Socks and sandals.

5. No shirt.

So, the Thais figure you're rich dressed like that?   I think the fashion police have little to do with overcharging.

3 hours ago, YeahSiam said:

Again, this thread is about how to avoid being overcharged; it's not about whether I could get what I have for less by living in the arsse-end of nowhere

I would be being overcharged if I was paying 60k a month for my condo because that'd be more than my Thai neighbours are paying.

When I lived in England, I paid the going rate to live in a desirable part of central London.

Could I have got a similarly-specced place more cheaply if I'd chosen to live in Weybridge, Surrey? Of course I could but it wouldn't have suited my needs.

Do my lifestyle choices command a premium? Hell yes but I'm not being overcharged - I'm paying a price dictated by supply, demand and location.

If I wanted to be as myopic as you, I could easily say that you're the one being overcharged for where you live because you could get the same spec accommodation in Khon Kaen or Korat for less than what you're paying now but I haven't forgotten what the topic of discussion is.

Your comments on service people etc show just how naive you are. Do you really think farangs living outside tourist areas don't get overcharged by tradesmen?

If you wanted to hire a lawyer, do you really think the fact you live in a non-tourist area would lessen the chances of him or her bleeding you dry?

Wake up, man!

A couple of years ago, I needed to sort out parental rights for my daughter.

I called a bunch of provincial lawyers recommended in the family & children forum and got silly quotes ranging from 40,000 to 70,000 baht.

I ended up engaging a brief at a firm in Asoke's CBD for 20,000 baht.

I think that kinda puts paid to your daft argument 

I am happy to hear you have an opinion; however, I do not share it. If you would care to re-read and re-think, you may see I never suggested that a farang would never be charged more, I only offered advice on how to avoid some charges and not to be charged as much.

23 hours ago, kenk24 said:

Sure, but it is tough to put a price tag on a chicken breast being roasted in a market... 

most stalls have a sign (in Thai admittedly) stating the price for each item, if they don'y have that just go to the next stall....