How can newbies to Thailand avoid paying farang prices?

JimmyJ

5 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

most stalls have a sign (in Thai admittedly) stating the price for each item, if they don'y have that just go to the next stall....

hahaha - yes, they don't have to put the tag right on the chicken... I have been here a while and know where the best chicken is and how much and nobody really messes me with the price. I also speak Thai fluidly enough that people know I am here for a while... but pretty much, same as you, if the price is not right, I rarely negotiate. I can just walk away... very little I need... 

I guess if I went into a tourist market for something, I would expect there to be a bargaining process... but I do know how to comparison shop as well... and they probably want to make the sale more than I need to buy any item. I am not a tough negotiator. I try to be fair but get bored easily. 

On 02/01/2017 at 10:52 PM, daveAustin said:

Op, a clueless Thai will still pay inflated prices the same way a farang would in tourist and non-tourist areas alike. In the likes of the Night Bazaar in CM, neither would get a great price even when using the ole walking away ruse because the vendor knows full well that some sap will be right along behind them. If you knew a fair bit of Thai and how things work, you might fair better, but a fresh-off-the-boat farang with no experience of the world of Thainess will generally be bent over and delivered a nice big fat wet one at every turn. :unsure:

That was very nicely slipped in :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YeahSiam said:

Stupid post.

If a man doesn't want to assume the financial burden of helping a Thai woman's family and chooses not to marry, who are you to say he should go back to the West?

Some farang men don't want to adopt local custom especially when, for most Western guys who do choose to give handouts to their wife's family, it's more often than not a condition of the marriage.

No its not a condition at all except that it is a perpetual myth to be on here. If westerners feel so strongly about other counties customs fine don't do then, but there is absolutely no need to try to degrade Customs to suit there bitter personalities. 

Edited by Deepinthailand

On 1/2/2017 at 8:12 PM, fruitman said:

Has nothing to do with going home or being rich/poor. It's just the idea of getting ripped off which is very annoying. Even for 1 baht. 

If you come from a decent 1st world country where everybody pays the same prices it can be shocking to see them charging you double the amount.

Even more if you have have sponsored the Thai for decades by having a foster parents child in Thailand for example. (My parents had one in Thailand for decades and sent him money every month without ever seeing him, he was my foster parents brother as we called him).

Now when my parents come here to see us they have to pay a 10foulded price to see the crappy waterfall and maybe that foster parent-son is behind the register.

Years ago doing an overland tour of Southern and East Africa it was standard for game parks to charge westerners up to ten times the price for locals. The justification was that otherwise said locals could not afford to see and appreciate their own country.

A case of take it or leave it, if you want to go in pay the price and get on with it. Nobody gave it a second thought. In Thailand I have never been in a national park or whatever.

2 hours ago, YeahSiam said:

Don't see what's so funny about that.

Care to elaborate?

Yes, I can.

your post is full of lol and fail because you are.... well..... so full of yourself.

First of all, it's not your neighborhood cuz you are not Thai.

Secondly, there are no "market prices" in Thailand perfect example being your 120sqm condo near Asoke which must be a dump because you can find 50sqm condos in the same neighborhood for 80,000 baht. Thailand is not like the West where there will be very little price difference in the neighborhood regardless of the age of the building. Well, of course it's a dump because of the sole fact that you need to be "close to a gym".

You are somehow justifying the price of your 200 baht cheap drink because some wanna be hiso bar doesn't have tattooed bargirls? Let me rofl a little more as most bars in these areas are full of hookers. 

You know what's a "good deal"? Living for absolutely free in Thailand. When you achieve that, talk to me, LOL.

1 hour ago, rott said:

Years ago doing an overland tour of Southern and East Africa it was standard for game parks to charge westerners up to ten times the price for locals. The justification was that otherwise said locals could not afford to see and appreciate their own country.

A case of take it or leave it, if you want to go in pay the price and get on with it. Nobody gave it a second thought. In Thailand I have never been in a national park or whatever.

Well in S-africa the parks have a lot of wildlife, thailand doesn't. Also Thailand doesn't make the parks attractive nor safe for tourists. They even won't clean the broken glass from the beaches.

In my homecountry the Thai can come and see our national parks which are just open and don't have admissionfee for anybody. They are clean, safe and well maintained.

I also don't go to thai national parks anymore. If we get visitors we bring them to the free Gardens at the Bay in Singapore, which are great and they speak english. I'm also ashamed to show them the mess of BKK so singapore is a better destination.

3 minutes ago, asianscouser said:

No no. Maybe i could of worded it better. My point is Thai custom. If I had a complaint I'd keep it to myself. That's all.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

"If I had a complaint I'd keep it to myself. That's all." 

Leally? It seems to me you are the one complaining. I am making a simple statement of my opinion.

I can understand Mr rot to a point. I feel the exact same way about the Philippines, you cannot go for a pee in the Philippines without hearing 5 PESO 5 PESO. Street vendors on every corner, airport is a total blimp.

Maybe rott has had that sort of annoying treatment here?

On 1/3/2017 at 4:26 PM, sanemax said:

Of course She isnt going to tell you about them

When She  says that shes  just going around to 7/11 to buy something and can she have some money, She really goes to a 7/12 and buys that thing for HALF-PRICE and keeps the change

You should not take it for granted all Thai wives are like yours.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2017 at 5:27 PM, asianscouser said:

I can understand Mr rot to a point. I feel the exact same way about the Philippines, you cannot go for a pee in the Philippines without hearing 5 PESO 5 PESO. Street vendors on every corner, airport is a total blimp.

Maybe rott has had that sort of annoying treatment here?

Sorry fellow scouse did not mean to ignore you, just lost track of the thread. I don't have any strong feelings either way, never been to any of these places in Thailand and just mentioned East Africa as a sort of comparison.

The PI hmm. You don't go to the chippy in Subic do you??

8 minutes ago, rott said:

Sorry fellow scouse did not mean to ignore you, just lost track of the thread. I don't have any strong feelings either way, never been to any of these places in Thailand and just mentioned East Africa as a sort of comparison.

The PI hmm. You don't go to the chippy in Subic do you??

I have been in the Phils over 3yrs and never paid to Pee yet. No shortage of toilets in the malls and the coffee shops and Macca's dont stop you just walking in and using the loo. 

Apart from keeping your head down and trying to sneak in with big families not much. When shopping let your woman do it and you keep out of site. If you want to look at the products on display make out you are not with each other and let her  buy the stuff.

On 10/01/2017 at 2:22 PM, lungnorm said:

You should not take it for granted all Thai wives are like yours.

I think the time to question things would be when you give your wife/girlfriend 500 baht to buy something and 2 hours later she comes back with the item plus 2000 baht.

Back on topic, can anyone see the similarity on places you are ripped off and the old Tommy Cooper joke.

Tommy - Doctor, I've broken my arm in three places.

Doctor - Don't go to those places then.

It's easy to avoid dual pricing.
Shop in places where prices are marked clearly.
Don't buy stuff in markets or off hawkers in the street.

Renting a condo - don't be an idiot and rent off introductions made by a local - they'll almost certainly be in it for a commission from the landlord - that'll be passed on to you.
Use Craigslist, an agent or one of the countless Facebook real estate groups. I've been here nearly 8 years - always had my security deposit returned - no quibble

Don't buy a house in a shitty backwater like the idiots who aspire to to being a lord of the manor walking around in a blazer and  cravate do -

If you buy street food, observe what Thais are charged; if you're asked for more (very, very rare), walk without any comment. Trust me, they know you're offended
Taxis - insist on  the meter or just use GrabTaxi/GrabBike - the price is agreed by the app before the ride even turns up
Shop for groceries at places like Villa, Tops, Foodland or Gourmet Foodhalls - No dual pricing
Buy clothing and electronics online (Lazada, Amazon) or from quality stores/malls like Central, Emporium, Robinsons etc - No dual pricing
Avoid tailors (especially Sukhumvit) - 90% of them are shit and, in terms of quality, you're hardly ever given the quality of material you've requested
If you ever need to engage a tradesman, ask a Thai to agree a price beforehand. If the tradesman turns up and demands more, show him the door.
Don't visit national parks - they're mostly shit anyway

5506b792bdc5b6e0077d176eece9705e.jpgThis is the view from my GF's resort that she owns in a national park. Doesn't look shit me.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

I think the time to question things would be when you give your wife/girlfriend 500 baht to buy something and 2 hours later she comes back with the item plus 2000 baht.

Back on topic, can anyone see the similarity on places you are ripped off and the old Tommy Cooper joke.

Tommy - Doctor, I've broken my arm in three places.

Doctor - Don't go to those places then.

Obviously my wife is different to yours. She was a rice farmer not a bar girl.

1 minute ago, lungnorm said:

Obviously my wife is different to yours. She was a rice farmer not a bar girl.

When you grow up you might, but I doubt it, learn the difference between a joke and real life.

In the meantime carry on insulting people you don't know and please do it openly.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, overherebc said:

When you grow up you might, but I doubt it, learn the difference between a joke and real life.

In the meantime carry on insulting people you don't know and please do it openly.

You also might learn to see a joke!!!

1 hour ago, Panda13 said:

5506b792bdc5b6e0077d176eece9705e.jpgThis is the view from my GF's resort that she owns in a national park. Doesn't look shit me.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Granted but only a total mug would pay money to see it let alone "farang" money especially when there are lots of places in Thailand where you can get it for free.

I'm off to catch a plane so have not read all posts.   There is no 100% way unless your Thai wife or friend pays & brings tickets back to you.  Even that will fail sometimes. Surprisingly, many semi local train trips are free for Thais.    Showing a Thai driving licence or a yellow house book works at some places to get you in at local prices. Nong Nooch gardens in Pattaya is one of those places.  Wife & I got in cheap.  O/seas visitors with us paid full price.  I think that is not a bad system.  I am not one of those people who think every traveler should get Thai prices on everything.  Be comforted by the fact you will never be turned away from a Thai govt hospital in an emergency.  That is a biggie!!!!!   No need to tell me that Private hospitals are better & Thai govt hospitals should always be avoided.  Hospitals all over the world are dangerous places.  People die in every one every day!!!!!  But if you are in a bus or train or bus accident in Phichit or Surin, or any other rural place you can be phoning the private hospital of your choice to arrange a transfer while the  government hospital staff stabilizes your broken leg and dresses your wounds and they may or may not charge you a small fee (in comparison to Private hospital fees.)  However medical treatment in many places are luck of the draw and that includes private hospitals here or anywhere. I have had or seen substandard experiences at two of the better private hospitals here and in my home country.  Try never to need any hospital while you are not in your own country or somewhere you do not speak the local language.   Contrary to what many TVF posters tell you, Thailand is not a 3rd world country.  It is not Bangladesh or Sudan.  

Edited by The Deerhunter
  • Like 1

On 1/2/2017 at 3:34 PM, Deepinthailand said:

Easy when they say one price half it and go from there. Usualy they have a calculator after they give you there price use there calculator make it look as though you understand what your doing then type in half of what they say and show it to them. If they say no thank them and walk away if they want your buisness they will talk and try stopping you walking away.

In the end on clothes there still going to make a killing. If your in a tourist area I'm afraid your screwed pretty much. But what you can do is bar fine a girl and take her shopping with you for a few hours then she can go back to work later. If you explain this to her she will be fine buy her a couple of drinks or a dress whilst your out shopping. 

Took a bar girl to the Dusit Zoo once.  Went into Soi 7 beer garden at 10am on Sunday morning and asked 3 girls.  2 said how much you pay and disqualified them selves by being greedy.  The third picked up her purse and said lets go.  We had a fabulous day and she got paid what we agreed was fair later & a good time was had by all as well, later.  

• Like 1

Took a bar girl to the Dusit Zoo once.  Went into Soi 7 beer garden at 10am on Sunday morning and asked 3 girls.  2 said how much you pay and disqualified them selves by being greedy.  The third picked up her purse and said lets go.  We had a fabulous day and she got paid what we agreed was fair later & a good time was had by all as well, later.  

How was the zoo?

On 1/3/2017 at 3:26 PM, sanemax said:

Of course She isnt going to tell you about them

When She  says that shes  just going around to 7/11 to buy something and can she have some money, She really goes to a 7/12 and buys that thing for HALF-PRICE and keeps the change

been living here in Thailand over 32 years, never heard of or seen a 7/12 store

nor have any of my thai friends.Have heard of super cheap,Tesco, Makro, Big C

Thailand was kissed by the wave and 6000 souls died on Phuket beaches -

not true at all..over 5,000 died in ALL of thailand, only about 260 died on phuket island,most died in Phang Nga

Edited by phuketrichard

Don't live in overly touristy areas. Just live in cities that are developed enough but no tourists come...you'll soon start to think like a Thai person when you travel to tourist spots. Why am I paying 130 baht for a fried rice and not 20 baht (which is what i pay as a 'farang'). If you have made the move to live in Thailand is there a need to live in a touristy area? Heavy traffic, stuff all land, both Thai and Westerners get ripped off each day. If you have made the move for entertainment reasons then that's on you, stop being a sook. Can get similar salary to bigger cities with a quarter of the living costs. Where do Thai's eat when they holiday? Usually 7/11 as they also believe they are getting ripped off, so it isnt an entirely race thing, just a tourist thing. The same in all countries, tourist areas charge more. Just familiarise yourself with prices and tell them this shop does this. If they say bullshit, then just go to that shop and get that price. It is up to them if they want the sale to beat the other shop. Plus if live in a place without tourism, many Thais are so happy to see you they'll give you things on their menu for you to try or drinks for free. As for the National Parks, I was under the impression it was just Khao Yai that you couldn't get in for the same price as Thai unless you have an ID card. 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2560 at 2:44 PM, sanemax said:

There is no way to avoid paying felang prices .

There are felang shops and there areThai shops and felangs are not allowed into Thai shops .

7/11's are felang shops and 7/12's are Thai shops

Felangs are not allowed into 7/12 shops, they dont even tell us where they are, they are hidden in the back streets .

There is no point in asking your Thai partner to go into these 7/12s to buy goods at HALF-PRICE of 7/11's because they are part of the conspiracy to make us pay more for everything

What the hell are you talking about?

3 hours ago, wildewillie89 said:

Don't live in overly touristy areas. Just live in cities that are developed enough but no tourists come...you'll soon start to think like a Thai person when you travel to tourist spots. Why am I paying 130 baht for a fried rice and not 20 baht (which is what i pay as a 'farang'). If you have made the move to live in Thailand is there a need to live in a touristy area? Heavy traffic, stuff all land, both Thai and Westerners get ripped off each day. If you have made the move for entertainment reasons then that's on you, stop being a sook. Can get similar salary to bigger cities with a quarter of the living costs. Where do Thai's eat when they holiday? Usually 7/11 as they also believe they are getting ripped off, so it isnt an entirely race thing, just a tourist thing. The same in all countries, tourist areas charge more. Just familiarise yourself with prices and tell them this shop does this. If they say bullshit, then just go to that shop and get that price. It is up to them if they want the sale to beat the other shop. Plus if live in a place without tourism, many Thais are so happy to see you they'll give you things on their menu for you to try or drinks for free. As for the National Parks, I was under the impression it was just Khao Yai that you couldn't get in for the same price as Thai unless you have an ID card. 

Omg! A foreigner that is smarter than the average idiot. Learning to speak Thai might also help if you plan to live here or spending much time in the country. I don,t think there are any Thais holding a gun to your head. It is idiot foreigners who drive up the prices also.