23 die in fiery Chonburi wreck

webfact

2 hours ago, pumpjack said:

<deleted>  really !!!   i read last wek that a mini bus crashed killing 4-5 people,  week before that too i remember another one crashed injuring many,  

how many more !!!

Also in 2016 there was a horrible accident involving teachers riding in a van. 11 of them died. Not much coverage was done that time.  Mass media was acting like nothing had happened. I hope this horrific accident that has such a score of dead people might increase the awareness on the roads. I've been driving on Thai roads for 10 years and I believe that right now things are getting worse. There are many drivers who have no clue how to drive, there are drivers who play catch me if you can, there are plenty of aggressive drivers who push everyone from their path, there are drivers who chat on their phones slowing down the traffic and unable to keep their lane and I don't mention the DUI driving and motorcycles that do not follow any rules!

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a 40 minute video of the accident aftermath available. Of course there is no need to view this unless your investigating the case. I have posted 2 videos of which I had viewed before posting. They seem in line with what I see on CNN or BBC news. My apologies if I offended anyone. R.I.P

36 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

nah seem a pic of him doing the "mr crispy"  in the drivers seat.

he aint doin shit other than being dead.

The Bangkok Post quotes him, he can't be that dead, or wasn't at that stage.

2 minutes ago, Thunder26 said:

Also in 2016 there was a horrible accident involving teachers riding in a van. 11 of them died. Not much coverage was done that time.  Mass media was acting like nothing had happened. I hope this horrific accident that has such a score of dead people might increase the awareness on the roads. I've been driving on Thai roads for 10 years and I believe that right now things are getting worse. There are many drivers who have no clue how to drive, there are drivers who play catch me if you can, there are plenty of aggressive drivers who push everyone from their path, there are drivers who chat on their phones slowing down the traffic and unable to keep their lane and I don't mention the DUI driving and motorcycles that do not follow any rules!

The sad truth is the only people that will care,    are the people

that are directly related to the deaths in this crash.

The rest of Thailand,  wont give a toss,    and will carry on the way they drive

every day,  as before.   Me first  , Get out the way. and so on.

Same Same  but Same.

Murderous drivers. shame on you

3 hours ago, chrissables said:

Drive or ride yourself, at least you have control about your own vehicle.

Not if a rogue van ploughs into you,as here. More intelligent option would be to study accident statistics by carrier type. Aircraft would be safest.

50 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

Emergency services arrive at the tragic scene.

R.I.P

No one tries to make any attempt to ease the fire....

Otherwise, I do not believe the LPG is burning here

Tragical, R.I.P.

7 minutes ago, alocacoc said:

The blast might have been caused by the compressed natural gas cylinder in the van, they added.

http://www.business-standard.com/article/pti-stories/25-killed-in-road-accident-in-thailand-117010200590_1.html

No surprise. Rolling Time Bombs all over Thailand.

You make it sound as though they are only found in Thailand.

1 minute ago, Honthy said:

No one tries to make any attempt to ease the fire....

Otherwise, I do not believe the LPG is burning here

Tragical, R.I.P.

...apart from the fire engine behind the burning vehicles.

How close could you have got to that inferno, anyway, Asbestos Man?

1 hour ago, gdgbb said:

Well I didn't die on the roads yesterday, neither did millions of others in Thailand who arrived safely at their destination, so, apart from this incident, it can't be that bad.

So when might you revise your viewpoint? When you can no longer comment as a result of becoming a statistic. Your view is akin to someone falling off a high building saying as he passes each floor 'so far so good!" You have the same critical thinking skills of many Thais.

4 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

You make it sound as though they are only found in Thailand.

No, look at the Netherlands. They use it since decades and it's very popular there. But, the installation / modification is made by professionals and not by hobby craftsmen. I don't remember any incidents with LPG in NL.

I have no clue what the Thai gov does to decrease the death toll rate. To fine motorcyclists without helmet is obviously not enough.

Just now, gdgbb said:

...apart from the fire engine behind the burning vehicles.

How close could you have got to that inferno, anyway, Asbestos Man?

True, not too close, bute really I see no one with a fire extinguisher in his hand. 

I understand, probably I would do the same. IIt is just the sound of shock.

1 hour ago, Cake Monster said:

Sadly this accident was just waiting to happen.

Yesterday, I spent the day on  Nongram Beach , Sattahip, which is actually owned by the Royal Thai Navy.

The behaviour from some of the people on that beach, was nothing short of irrisponsible and ignorant.

I witnessed whole groups of people getting completly bladdered on " Hong Thong " Whisky while on a family day out at the beach.

Somebody from every group would have driven after consuming all that whisky ( and I witnessed not one that was not drinking )

Unfortunatly, this kind of appalling behaviour seems to be the norm in Thailand. 

Why do these people act with total disregard to their own safety as well as that of others ?

The answer is really simple - IT,S BECAUSE THEY CAN  , AND GET AWAY WITH IT.

It's a very nice beach, but I wouldn't visit it on weekends or holidays. It is too crowded. And you are right that some drivers drink on the beach and then drive back home. I'm pretty sure about that. The military on those beaches could do an alcohol check for the drivers who exit the beach. That would be a great thing to do!

20 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

The Bangkok Post quotes him, he can't be that dead, or wasn't at that stage.

Don did post his picture, it was removed.

I assure you he wasn't being quoted by the bangkok post, or anyone else....

This is too terrible for words!  When on earth will the authorities take serious steps to educate people about road safety. I used to teach road safety to school pupils in England, teaching youngsters to understand just how serious every aspect of road safety should be taken is obviously the first step in educating the population at large. 

38 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

How could those police officers have averted this accident?

As such, they couldn't.

But I think what people are suggesting is that the police in Thailand have entirely the wrong EMPHASIS. By that i mean, people know that many laws can be circumvented with money and that many police are allegedly  just plain lazy. IF the police acted the way police in the west do,  and IF there were traffic courts, then in time the attitudes would permeate. Regrettably this will, if it happens at, all take a very long time. Meanwhile, these incidents will sadly continue.

4 hours ago, thai006 said:

oh really  so how to travel , walking ?

Stay in bed and do Therevada Buddist chants in Pali....... you take your life in your hands every time you step outside.... But hope your place where you live does not catch fire or get in the way of a flood.

4 hours ago, UPDEHSOI said:

Well, nothing ( to my knowledge ) has been done in the past regarding the many many MANY vehicle accidents causing multiple deaths and untold damage. So I doubt that anything will be done in the near future regarding happenings like this.

My Mrs is sitting here ranting to me that Thailand has been doing something about the road accidents for years even the big wigs went overseas to see how to do things! you cant argue with Thais they protect there own

All you have to do is look at the photo which tells you total chaos at the scene...

how about putting the fire trucks closest to the scene not the crowd and police cars...ever heard of crowd control and securing the scene....EMS and emergency road management third world here still...

Caught a Rail Motor (Train) from BKK to Sakaeo about 20 years ago )))

The entire staff were in an alcoholic stupor and I assume the driver was also as I saw drinks being served to the control cabin ))) Before I got out of the train at Sakaeo , I had an unconscious female conductor at my feet , taking up more than her fair share of floor space !!!

Give me this any day ))) SAFER THAN THE """ VAN""" 

I now drive a new Isuzu pickup to Sakaeo and back and felt relatively safe !!! """ NOT ANY MORE """

My god ive got to go to Lao for a new SETV from pattaya soon & im scared to shit.This government should stop mini bus etc runs for visa's they know its dangerous & i think they should come with a health warning same as on a packet of ciggies written on the bus sides.

This event displays many of the symptoms that show Thailand to be a developing country rather than a developed one such as those where all our posters originate from. We enjoy the freedoms and liberal aspects of life here along with the relatively cheap cost of living. We put up with the trials and tribulations and avert our eyes when we can from the unsavoury aspects. This crash is a distillation of what is the harshest of reality in a country where many are poorly educated and the attitudes to life and death are at such a variance from our own. I also feel frustrated; like many others; that we can only bear witness and express outrage but can do little more beyond that. It isn't our country even it is our home or a place we love to visit. RIP to those who suffered and died.

Archived