Malaysia versus Thailand retirement program

EricTh

44 minutes ago, thurien said:

and the big fun starts right yonder the border in Pasar Besar (i.e.):

floozies, booze, pork chops ... and: left their muslim caps behind in Muslim country

Pork is freely available in the supermarkets in Sawarak and Sabah states, although displayed in their own display cases with big signs that say "these products are not halal".  Duh.  Also saw a frozen turkeys at a much more reasonable price than here.  Miracle of miracle, they had Butterball turkey bacon, turkey ham and turkey lunch meat from the U.S.  And the lamb and beef from Australia are much cheaper than in Chiang Mai.  Same brands, much cheaper.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, xng said:

From the comments here, most if not all members are islamophobic.

Just as Thailand being a Buddhist country has an Islamic region ie. Southern Thailand, Malaysia seems to have a Christian region in West Malaysia ie. Borneo.

I had a knife held to my throat in Kuala Khubu Bahru in the market there in 2009, so I have very good reason to have distrust of Islamic countries and communities. I say this, because I was with Chinese, Indian and Kadazan friends who worked in Petronas Towers, and the entire market stood there whilst the person with his Islamic robes held a craft knife to my throat, told me Christians were not welcome in Malaysia because it was a Muslim country, and I should go back to America (I am a Kiwi).

OP: Yes, you are absolutely correct, I stand corrected I had Borneo and Brunei confused. I apologize for my oversight. But the above illustrates that the religion of peace is still being enforced on others against their will, even if it is not law to ensure this type of cleansing takes place.

On 03/01/2017 at 5:54 PM, xng said:

Some of the disadvantages are

1. Condo space is smaller than a house.

2. There is no garden in a condo

3. You can't cook with gas

4. Your neighbours (up, down, side) can be quite noisy when they play their music loudly and when the adjoining walls are thin. I hear toilet flushing at 2 am every time my neighbour upstairs come home drunk. That woke me up in the middle of the night.

5. Technically , you can't own any pets in a condo.

6. There's not enough space to dry your clothes using the sun. For most condos, we have to share the washing machine downstairs and waiting time can be quite long.

You must be staying in some cheap condo.  Everything you said above points to a cheap condo. Space smaller than a house would mean a low cost housing apartment not a condo ok? Of course no garden in Condo if it is a cheap condo.

Cheap condo has thin wall so you could hear your neighbour flushing toilet. Middle or high end condo has thick walls because they use double bricks for the walls so you can't hear your neighbor. No enough space to dry clothes? Again it is cheap condo. No washing machine provided by the owner? How much are you paying by the way.

I honestly don't believe Thailand condos are better than those in Malaysia. You need to compare the same class condos.

4 hours ago, xng said:

What do you mean by Sky Kingdom and teapot?

the interwebs are your freind.

the googles showed me this with very little typing involved - technically just a cut and paste.

On 03/01/2017 at 9:33 PM, jobin said:

Only younger 'retired' folks can find reasonably priced health insurance.  If age 70+, cheaper to get sick and pay cash for treatment.

And regarding Malaysia, i would not care to live in a muslim country, not for one minute. 

So, you don't like Muslim country Mr Jobin? Why do they bring the war to your door steps I wonder.

On 04/01/2017 at 4:37 AM, TheGhostWithin said:

I had a knife held to my throat in Kuala Khubu Bahru in the market there in 2009, so I have very good reason to have distrust of Islamic countries and communities. I say this, because I was with Chinese, Indian and Kadazan friends who worked in Petronas Towers, and the entire market stood there whilst the person with his Islamic robes held a craft knife to my throat, told me Christians were not welcome in Malaysia because it was a Muslim country, and I should go back to America (I am a Kiwi).

OP: Yes, you are absolutely correct, I stand corrected I had Borneo and Brunei confused. I apologize for my oversight. But the above illustrates that the religion of peace is still being enforced on others against their will, even if it is not law to ensure this type of cleansing takes place.

You had been unlucky I guess. It was a mistake. They are after the Americans. That guy should have asked you nicely your nationality before he held the knife to your throat.

The Americans deserve it you know. I believe soon in China some mad Chinese will start to do bad things to the Americans, because the Americans annoy them no ends. It would be worst than what the Arabs terrorists are doing because the Chinese have good plans and they use their brains, unlike the Arabs who kill innocent bystanders.

My sympathy for the innocents Arabs killed by the Americans. Why do Americans go half way round the world to kill the Arabs?

On 04/01/2017 at 3:45 AM, ThaiWai said:

Southern Thailand is enough Muslim for me.  I wouldn't stay in Malaysia if they gave me a free house.  Was in Penang last week and couldn't wait to get back.  Kuala Lumpur is even worse.

Wow, I didn't know the Farangs hate the muslims so much. Or was it just a dislike of their religion?

If you understand history of the middle east ( right after the fall of the Ottoman Empire-) and after the second world war you will sympathize with the muslims.

Once you understood how they suffered you will love them like I do. So in the meantime you need to read up.

THE MUSLIMS LOVE YOU.......( once they know you understand their problems and love them they will even protect you in time of danger, they become your friends).

2 hours ago, TheGhostWithin said:

Oh my god! Did you report to the police?

Edited by xng

44 minutes ago, xng said:

Oh my god! Did you report to the police?

The Police were never spoken to on my part, I left Malaysia after visiting there each year 3 years consecutively, and never returned. I had some friends in Penang that were being extorted by the Police so my opinion of Malaysian Police was relatively low at the time. Sad, I had begun learning to read and write Bahasa, and had a big interest in trying to understand what being "Malaysian" meant, however my interest rapidly evaporated after that event. Not because I blamed ALL Malaysians for the event, but because I understood I could never be part of a society that bred and accepted acts against someone because of the color of their skin.

My Malaysian friends occasionally meet with me when I am in Thailand now, and my Kiwi friends have mostly all heard of my Malaysian experience.

2 hours ago, madusa said:

You must be staying in some cheap condo. 

It's not a cheap condo because it has a clean workable swimming pool, clean corridors, security guards and the tenants are almost all (above 90%) white Americans/European retirees. I would classify it as middle class.

I looked around most of the other cheaper condos and they are in worse shape but their problems are very similar. The average quality of condos in Thailand isn't good unless you buy the more luxurious condos.

But who wants to live in a luxurious condo when you can rent a bungalow with that price?

20 hours ago, NancyL said:

Yes, Malaysia is a majority Muslim country, but they pride themselves on being multi-cultural.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Malaysia

East Malaysia is often overlooked in discussions of retiring to Malaysia.  Sawarak and Sabah state joined the Federation late and negotiated some special treatment and this is reflected in some special rules for their MM2H program, too.  Sawarak is a majority Christian state. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarawak#Religion   

I have a charming video of a Rotary club Christmas party in Sabah state where the lead vocals were done by a young woman in a Muslim headscarf, doing a great job of singing Christmas carols in English and some of the Rotary club guys in the band were wearing Muslim hats, sitting in front of a big sign that says "Merry Christmas 2016".   It's just that kind of tolerant place where each group celebrates each other's holidays.  

When I lived in Malaysia (50 years ago) every major religious festival was a public holiday from Christmas to Hari Raya Puasa (end of Ramadan) to Depavalli to Chinese New year. I had a gardener who seemed to change his religious affiliation 4 times a year.

On 1/5/2017 at 9:24 AM, Farang99 said:

When I lived in Malaysia (50 years ago) every major religious festival was a public holiday from Christmas to Hari Raya Puasa (end of Ramadan) to Depavalli to Chinese New year. I had a gardener who seemed to change his religious affiliation 4 times a year.

Celebrating a public holiday doesn't mean you change your religious affiliation.

A lot of non-Christians celebrate Christmas around the world (if it is a public holiday there) but that doesn't mean they are Christians.

22 hours ago, xng said:

Celebrating a public holiday doesn't mean you change your religious affiliation.

A lot of non-Christians celebrate Christmas around the world (if it is a public holiday there) but that doesn't mean they are Christians.

But my gardener asked for the time off specifically to celebrate the various festivals. How many non-Chinese do you know who actually celebrate the New Year rather than watching the celebrations? Same goes for non-Muslims and Hari Raya

3 hours ago, Farang99 said:

But my gardener asked for the time off specifically to celebrate the various festivals. How many non-Chinese do you know who actually celebrate the New Year rather than watching the celebrations? Same goes for non-Muslims and Hari Raya

By celebrate, your gardener means taking a holiday off and not go to mosque, go to church etc. He doesn't want to work.

It's just like taking a holiday off for the Buddhist holidays in Thailand even though some are not Buddhist.

Edited by xng

On 1/4/2017 at 9:04 PM, madusa said:

Wow, I didn't know the Farangs hate the muslims so much. Or was it just a dislike of their religion?

If you understand history of the middle east ( right after the fall of the Ottoman Empire-) and after the second world war you will sympathize with the muslims.

Once you understood how they suffered you will love them like I do. So in the meantime you need to read up.

THE MUSLIMS LOVE YOU.......( once they know you understand their problems and love them they will even protect you in time of danger, they become your friends).

Not sure who you are talking too but I certainly never said I hated Muslims. I just don't want to be inundated with their customs and behaviors and that's my choice.  If you believe Sharia law is a good thing then go convert.  You should read a little more of the Qoran before you comment about things you clearly have little understanding of.  

On 1/4/2017 at 8:40 PM, madusa said:

So, you don't like Muslim country Mr Jobin? Why do they bring the war to your door steps I wonder.

So if you don't like living in a Muslim country that justifies them bringing "war to your doorstep"??  You have a sickness growing inside you bro.  Is it madusa or mad@usa??

On 1/4/2017 at 7:29 PM, xng said:

From the comments here, most if not all members are islamophobic.

Just as Thailand being a Buddhist country has an Islamic region ie. Southern Thailand, Malaysia seems to have a Christian region in East Malaysia ie. Borneo and a small Buddhist island called Penang.

Screen Shot 2017-01-08 at 10.49.29 AM.png

On 2017/1/7 at 7:48 PM, ThaiWai said:

So if you don't like living in a Muslim country that justifies them bringing "war to your doorstep"??  You have a sickness growing inside you bro.  Is it madusa or mad@usa??

Let's have a civilized discussion here. Often discussion like this deteriorates into some names calling and things like that. We wouldn't do that because it's not fun.

You misunderstood what I wrote. From what you wrote I gathered you don't like living in Muslim country. Never mind about that.

I said the muslims bring the war to your doorstep and you should find out why they do that. That's what I meant in the last part.

Why don't Buddhist or Hindus or other religion bring any war to your doorstep? If you have not done anything bad to the muslims they wouldn't bring the war to your doorsteps.

You flew half way round the war to bomb them, that's why they are angry and they bring the war to your doorsteps. Read some books by Naom Chomsky not that his opinions are always right, at least you could see the other side of the argument.(on other hand you may find his opinions are very much the truth behind this problem).

The Muslims are not always right of course, the killing of civilians by their indiscriminate bombing is very wrong I must say. But they justify it as collateral damage, like what the Americans said when innocent Arabs are killed by their bombing.

Simple, I bomb you, you bomb me. Poor civilians died , collateral damage.

4 hours ago, madusa said:

Let's have a civilized discussion here. Often discussion like this deteriorates into some names calling and things like that. We wouldn't do that because it's not fun.

You misunderstood what I wrote. From what you wrote I gathered you don't like living in Muslim country. Never mind about that.

I said the muslims bring the war to your doorstep and you should find out why they do that. That's what I meant in the last part.

Why don't Buddhist or Hindus or other religion bring any war to your doorstep? If you have not done anything bad to the muslims they wouldn't bring the war to your doorsteps.

You flew half way round the war to bomb them, that's why they are angry and they bring the war to your doorsteps. Read some books by Naom Chomsky not that his opinions are always right, at least you could see the other side of the argument.(on other hand you may find his opinions are very much the truth behind this problem).

The Muslims are not always right of course, the killing of civilians by their indiscriminate bombing is very wrong I must say. But they justify it as collateral damage, like what the Americans said when innocent Arabs are killed by their bombing.

Simple, I bomb you, you bomb me. Poor civilians died , collateral damage.

Qur'an

“When you meet the unbelievers, smite their necks.” 47:4

Music to your ears eh??

You will never win a debate trying to defend Islam, or any religion for that matter, using logic.  I can use your own holy texts against you all day long.  Once you put away childhood fantasies of magical men in the sky riding magical winged horses then the violence over nothingness will stop.   

The WORLD is at war with Islam.  Religion spawns hate and makes intelligent people do stupid things.  

The deterioration of this thread into a religious fight is a good example of what religion does.  When will people realize there are no gods?  

Edited by Nowisee

A couple of points. Want cool temperatures .....Cameron Highlands. Chiang Mai can be cool but not in the hot season ..of course...

English better than Thailand? In tourist areas it's good and of course, like in  Thailand, you can meet educated Malays that speak excellent English but there are plenty

who have no English. Unlike Thailand there is little "Thaiglish" or  even simple

words to help you . In the train station in Kaula Lampur I could barely understand

what the cashier in a fast food place was saying.

But so what? Learn the lingo if you live there(or here). 

Coffee way better than Birdie..  Food choices better too - especially Indian -and yes I do like some Thai food.

There is so much more to discuss than just religion.

Edited by BugJackBaron
spelling

On 15/01/2017 at 10:33 AM, BugJackBaron said:

A couple of points. Want cool temperatures .....Cameron Highlands. Chiang Mai can be cool but not in the hot season ..of course...

English better than Thailand? In tourist areas it's good and of course, like in  Thailand, you can meet educated Malays that speak excellent English but there are plenty

who have no English. Unlike Thailand there is little "Thaiglish" or  even simple

words to help you . In the train station in Kaula Lampur I could barely understand

what the cashier in a fast food place was saying.

But so what? Learn the lingo if you live there(or here). 

Coffee way better than Birdie..  Food choices better too - especially Indian -and yes I do like some Thai food.

There is so much more to discuss than just religion.

One more thing in favour of Malaysia - Malay is an easy language to learn, at least enough for basic communication. It has no tonal inflections, is written (nowadays) in western letters, and has very simple grammar. All Malaysians speak at least a version of it (Bazaar Malay) which has no grammar at all.

5 hours ago, Farang99 said:

One more thing in favour of Malaysia - Malay is an easy language to learn, at least enough for basic communication. It has no tonal inflections, is written (nowadays) in western letters, and has very simple grammar. All Malaysians speak at least a version of it (Bazaar Malay) which has no grammar at all.

a "BAZAAR" is a market in most languages, whereas the word for language in Malay and Indonesian is "BAHASA".

Hence, Bahasa Malaysia, Bahasa Melayu or Bahasa Indonesia

Edited by siam2007

17 hours ago, siam2007 said:

a "BAZAAR" is a market in most languages, whereas the word for language in Malay and Indonesian is "BAHASA".

17 hours ago, siam2007 said:

There is no confusion between BAZAAR and BAHASA. Bazaar Malay is also known as Kitchen Malay and Market Malay (Bahasa Pasar) and is the simplified form used as communication between many Chinese, Indians, westerners and Malays. It uses many Chinese forms of Malay words.

• 11 months later...
On 1/4/2017 at 1:07 PM, stuurman said:

Hi I lived for 6 years in Penang, Malaysia with a Malaysia My Second Home visa before I moved to Chiang Mai. The visa is pretty straight forward and once you have it no more reporting at immigration.

We lived in condo's and had two cats without much of a problem. It's easy to buy property and not so difficult to resell it, we did both. 

But to be honest apart from the better visa situation there isn't much else I can think of that stands out in Malaysia when comparing Chiang Mai and Penang. 

Can you elaborate on that?

I'm going down to Penang again soon to spend about 8-9 days to get a better feel to the city.  Overall, I like it, and the visa is a big attraction.  I also liked that English was so prevalent, and I like the multiculturalism a lot too.

That being said, like everyone else here, I like Thailand too.

Edited by McMacao

On 1/4/2017 at 7:45 PM, ThaiWai said:

Southern Thailand is enough Muslim for me.  I wouldn't stay in Malaysia if they gave me a free house.  Was in Penang last week and couldn't wait to get back.  Kuala Lumpur is even worse.

What didn't you like about Penang?

Culturally, its much more Chinese than Muslim. Plus you have a minority 10% Indian population which makes it more interesting.  I was in Penang about a year ago, and I had a Malay Muslim cab driver, he was telling me how everyday the Penang Island gets more and more Chinese (from the Mainland) everyday. They are buying up entire apartment blocs left and right....