Severe weather warning issued for Phuket, southern provinces

snoop1130

Severe weather warning issued for Phuket, southern provinces

Kongleaphy Keam

1_201715161020636_CpOSrGLStbadFKYbxXEfqc

PHUKET:-- The Phuket Marine Office (PMO) today issued a warning for all boats to proceed with caution and for small boats to not leave shore tomorrow or Saturday, due to large waves and predictions of heavy rain.

The Thai Meteorological Department (TMD) issued a weather warning, titled ‘Heavy to Very Heavy Rain in Lower South and Strong Wind Waves in Gulf’, about 11am today, cautioning people of possible flash floods as well. 

The warning states that strong northeast monsoon winds still prevail over the Gulf of Thailand and the south, and persistent rains are forecast with 'torrential' rain for Phuket, Phang Nga, Krabi, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Chumphon, Surat Thani, Nakhorn Sri Thammarat, Phatthalung and Ranong. 

Full Story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Severe-weather-warning-issued-Phuket-southern-provinces/66084?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2017-1-5

You really think those tour boats are not going out .... it's high season .... money money money

Of course they're going out, more reliable forecasts are looking much, much better.

On top of that, if on the day it is not safe to go out the marine office will forbid it.

Sent from my ROBBY using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

35 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Of course they're going out, more reliable forecasts are looking much, much better.

On top of that, if on the day it is not safe to go out the marine office will forbid it.

I don't know if you have looked at wind guru which has revised its forecast today and seems to agree with the PMO. Saturday, in particular, and Sunday look dreadful.

I don't know if you have looked at wind guru which has revised its forecast today and seems to agree with the PMO. Saturday, in particular, and Sunday look dreadful.

Yes, have seen it. See any reason for a weather warning for Friday? Plus as I said, marine office will forbid boats to sail if they deem it dangerous. This whole warning 'system' is just a PR exercise.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Yes, have seen it. See any reason for a weather warning for Friday? Plus as I said, marine office will forbid boats to sail if they deem it dangerous. This whole warning 'system' is just a PR exercise.

Perhaps tour operators have a different attitude towards safety warnings. 

Perhaps tour operators have a different attitude towards safety warnings. 

Maybe. I know I cancel if deemed unsafe, which was in the past always before a weather warning was issued. So far these warnings were either issued after the event or not justified.

I am glad the severe weather has bypassed Bangkok this time. in 2009  it was a

very different story, and getting around was a challange .  I am glad that I did not fly into Phuket

with plans to holiday there and further south. I see it on the news and it is a total mess.

Geezer

6 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I am glad the severe weather has bypassed Bangkok this time. in 2009  it was a

very different story, and getting around was a challange .  I am glad that I did not fly into Phuket

with plans to holiday there and further south. I see it on the news and it is a total mess.

Geezer

I live here and I am still looking for the "Total mess" 

we had some rain last two nights, but otherwise besides some clouds it is fine today.

10 hours ago, Mansell said:

I live here and I am still looking for the "Total mess" 

we had some rain last two nights, but otherwise besides some clouds it is fine today.

Thailand is a big country with several different climates. Eastern coast seasons are totally different. Yesterday 5 January in fact it was the rainest day IN HISTORY OF THE WHOLE COUNTRY with  615.6mm fell at Nakhon Sri Thammarat Agromet. 

https://www.tmd.go.th/en/climate.php?FileID=1

The previous record was 553.7mm at Khlong Yai (Trat)  on 16 August 1970-

Archived