Damaged photo in passport

Somehow it got wet and from the bottom of my nose down is quite faded distorted.

I just left Thailand but intend to return in couple of weeks. Going out through the Thai land border they advised i might have some trouble coming back in by land, but that by air should be Ok.

Any ideas of usual Thai authorities attitude towards this? And are there any step i can take to address the problem (save going back to UK!)

• Like 1

Without seeing the condition of you passport it would hard to give a good answer. As far as having problems when you return it would depend upon the officer that handles your entry. Perhaps telling them you are going to apply for a new passport while here would work.

Info for applying for a new passport outside the UK is here.  https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

• Like 1

Just now, ubonjoe said:

I think you need a new passport. 

Recent average time to get one here is about 2 to 3 weeks now.

Thanks... Thats from the time you apply at the visa centre in bkk? Or from the time they recieve application in UK?

1 minute ago, RickG16 said:

Thanks... Thats from the time you apply at the visa centre in bkk? Or from the time they recieve application in UK?

Mine took 12 days from applying in bkk recently. That was over the xmas period too

Keep in mind that the emergency passport normally requires a flight ticket/booking to be shown as a condition of issue. It will be issued with the details of journy/journeys to be made and once those journeys are completed it has passed its 'used' date. Any further travel will require getting another one. 

I think mine was around 5000 baht at the BKK Embassy.

The process for me took 14 days from applying in BKK and getting a pickup date - Very friendly customer experience - I thought  that it was going to more complex and invasive, but a simple 10 min conversation check your application and old passport is all it takes.

13 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Uploaded the pic.. What do we think guys? I can show the stain on page behind to prove it got wet and hasnt been tampered with.....

Also all the laminated details are fine, just pic thats damaged....

i am sure the USA TSA people would not accept it and you would not be getting on an airplane with it.  I would caution about getting stopped somewhere in transit.  It all would depend on the country you are in, the airline involved in transfers, etc.

You're saving grace may be if the passport is machine readable, and you enter the same place you departed, there will be a photograph of you on departure, and the officer will see the old photograph in the system.  Use this only if you can't get an emergency travel document at a UK consulate.........50 50 chance mate.  My photo was damaged on an old pspt, by the immigration officer, she scratched away at it to see it is was real, then claimed it wasn't me.............then I showed her my second passport, cleared it up right away.

Edited by TunnelRat69

yeah if the immigration advised you that you might have trouble coming back then get a new one. And fly back don't cross the land border. Just recently that British dude who had his hand gel spilled on his pass was detained on the way back because the other country didn't let him in with that passport so he had to come back.. But his visa expired. 

7 hours ago, steve187 said:

why not get a new passport where you are now, saves any risk of problems

Might be touch and go as to whether he would receive the new passport at his present location in time if (as stated in his OP) he is planning to return to Thailand in a fortnight!

Edited by OJAS

18 hours ago, steven100 said:

A passport is critical for travel or may be needed for identification.

It should be kept in a safe secure place and always treated as if it was your personal microchip.

Don't let it get damaged and you'll be fine.

Agreed - although in the context of this particular thread it does seem to me rather strange in this day and age that none of the various powers-that-be responsible for issuing passports have apparently been able to come up with a passport which does not run upon accidental exposure to water. 

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Didn't think I'd be bumping this thread again, but here goes....

My new passport is now ready for collection at the Bangkok visa office (Trendy building) . But my issue now is that the email asks me to bring my old passport to submit to them. I have my emergency passport (with current visa stamp) and my old, original passport (with the corners snipped).

My problem is that if they ask me to submit the emergency passport I am left without a visa, and technically illegal in the country - surely they will let me hang on to this? I also booked my flights up to BKK with it, so need it for the journey.

Does anybody know if they require the emergency passport, or if the old passport will be sufficient to hand in and receive my new passport?

I don't want to be left visa-less, as this could also cause complications were I to go to a border and get the first stamp in my new passport. 

Any ideas?... I have given up contacting HMPO and the visa office as they seem to be good at passing the buck to each other.

You will present your emergency travel document and they will cancel it by stamping it and cutting the corners off then give it back to you.

Everything in it will remain valid after it is canceled.

If you are on an extension of stay you will need to go to immigration to have your stamps transferred. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You will present your emergency travel document and they will cancel it by stamping it and cutting the corners off then give it back to you.

Everything in it will remain valid after it is canceled.

If you are on an extension of stay you will need to go to immigration to have your stamps transferred. 

Helpful as always mate.. Thank you.