120,000 Baht Gold Chain Stolen From Chinese Tourist in Pattaya

webfact

120,000 Baht Gold Chain Snatch

By Danny Boy 

chain-snatch-3.jpg?fit=868,579

Gold Chain Stolen From Chinese Tourist in Pattaya

PATTAYA: -- At around 10:30pm on January 7th, police were called to investigate the theft of a 6 Baht gold chain, estimated to be worth around 120,000 Baht.

At the scene, police found the victim of the theft, Mr. Sun Biao, aged 25, from China. He was accompanied by some of his friends and other Chinese tourists.

Mr. Biao explained to police that they had all been out for a nice meal, and whilst walking home, had stopped off to buy some items. He had noticed a motorbike had been driving behind them, but thought nothing of it until the motorbike approached quickly and snatched his gold chain that he was wearing. The motorbike made a quick getaway and police were called immediately.

Mr. Biao shoed police a photo of him wearing the chain as evidence, and went on to explain that he felt badly about the incident, not so much because of the value of the chain, but because it was given to him as a birthday gift 5 years ago and he had worn it every day since.

Police are now looking at cctv images in an attempt to catch the thief and return the gold to Mr. Biao as soon as possible. The investigation continues.

Source: http://pattayaone.news/en/120000-baht-gold-chain-snatch/

pattaya-one_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya One 2017-01-09

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, WhizBang said:

What sort of a brain dead person wears a 120,000 baht gold chain, in Pattaya, at night?  Common sense would tell you that flashing an expensive gold chain is nothing but a magnet for thieves, especially in Pattaya.  

Obviously, this guy!

Expensive birthday gift and he wore it for 5 years so no such crimes in China it seems. A bit of research from him before going to fun town and this could have been avoided.

A fat gold chain is just a too easy/tempting target for many here so he lay in the bad as he made it. 

2 hours ago, WhizBang said:

What sort of a brain dead person wears a 120,000 baht gold chain, in Pattaya, at night?  Common sense would tell you that flashing an expensive gold chain is nothing but a magnet for thieves, especially in Pattaya.  

I myself wasn"t aware of that danger in Pattaya the first time I came to Thailand....... Untill it was pointed out to me.

I would have thought it to be a magnet to thieves anywhere.

It really is about time that the Chinese tourists were warned about the risks in town.... I don't think I own anything more valuable than that chain apart from the house!

I had a cheap chain nicked in Bangkok. Ladyboy walks up, gives you a vice grip cuddle and before you can say F O. and hit him another one nicks the chain.  Took a while to realise it was gone. Now I dont even take my wedding ring to Thailand.  

a CHINESE Tourist!

Perhaps I am a bit skeptical about this.... hmm fairly worn tee shirt, not particularly hiso haircut. And why might he have a photo such as he showed.... insurance purposes? I could, however, see going into a gold shop, trying one on and asking "Can I take a photo?". Maybe I've been here too long, but something seems nam pla about this

1 hour ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Expensive birthday gift and he wore it for 5 years so no such crimes in China it seems. A bit of research from him before going to fun town and this could have been avoided.

A fat gold chain is just a too easy/tempting target for many here so he lay in the bad as he made it. 

I also have a nice gold chain i got 26 years ago for a birthday have always worn it too. Not as fat as this one and made from 18K gold (so a bit more sturdy). Nothing wrong with wearing something like this never had any problems. Though I don't spend that much time in Pattaya but no problems in BKK. 

40 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

Perhaps I am a bit skeptical about this.... hmm fairly worn tee shirt, not particularly hiso haircut. And why might he have a photo such as he showed.... insurance purposes? I could, however, see going into a gold shop, trying one on and asking "Can I take a photo?". Maybe I've been here too long, but something seems nam pla about this

LMFAO! You are clearly a gifted fashionista that you can ID the socioeconomic status of Chinese men by their hair style, but I am afraid that you may have somehow missed the whole fashion trend of intentionally worn-looking prints that has become ubiquitous in clothing design for 20+ years??? Sorry to shatter your world, but that shirt looks pretty new to me.

That said, I never understood the whole concept of wearing expensive jewelry. Unless you are patronizing the arts or attending a formal social gala, it just looks tacky and pretentious. Plus it makes you a clear target. If you don't feel comfortable flashing a fat wad of cash, why would you feel OK showing off expensive jewelry?

It seems on the photo he is wearing the same T., coincidently. 

3 troy ounce, the kind of jewellery some  people wear as spare cash in case they have to disappear quickly, or just to show off.
Such thick chain would have similarly thick sturdy lock. How to snatch that without causing a wound or bruising? If there were, surely there would be a selfie showing a blue or red spot on the neck published on the net ?

3 hours ago, WhizBang said:

Someone with what he hopes is a good insurance policy and wanted a free trip to Pattaya?  (Sorry to be a cynic but insurance fraud is (MUCH) more common tan you may think.)    

42 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

Well possible!!!  But an invoice is usually needed along with the picture.  That can be arranged too.......

3 hours ago, WhizBang said:

I agree, but I'm also guessing the Chinese may not be aware of the crime in Thailand tourist areas until learning first hand.

Archived