ciprofloxacin anyone taken it?

thai3

Clinic gave it me 500mg twice a day for a UTI and said if it did not work go to see a Urologist. Seems to be working but has some odd side effects, my ankle tendons hurt a lot and that's listed, along with a lot of other horror side effects. Seems to work like a wonder with no side effects, or does quite a bit of damage, considering stopping it after 4 days.

Cyprofloxin is a broad spectrum antibiotic that has been around for quite a while but remains very useful. DO NOT stop taking the dosage until the course has been completed unless a doctor tells you to, that can be quite dangerous.

2 minutes ago, thai3 said:

mm just of to the clinic then thanks

FWIW I've taken cipro. many many times over the past fifteen years and even at doses you're taking I've never had a problem. BUT, different people can have different reactions.

The quinolone antibiotics (Cipro, Levaquin etc) don't agree with me either and particularly affected the upper part of the achilles tendons. Have had many small tears and strains in those areas due to almost 40 yrs of playing football (soccer) and so was maybe prone to this.

I stopped taking them after about a week as was unable to walk properly due to what I believe to be a small tear/strain, with a less pronounced one in the other lower calf.

Unfortunately this side effect can present itself many months after stopping the course.

There are other antibiotics that are useful for a UTI and anyway I believe that Cipro is now not always considered the first line use due to resistance to it.

Good luck.......and if you've had trouble passing water then a visit to the urologist is a must with perhaps a urine flow test,  an ultrasound and a cystoscopy to see what is happening. I know as I've just been through all of that after getting the same symptoms as you (if I recall earlier posts).

Decided after a chat with Dr to take half the dose for the remaining time rather than changing to yet another one, would not take them again though. Another side effect was blood pressure through the roof, never had that in my life before.

Archived