How our lives fell apart after foreign son-in-law died

webfact

5 hours ago, georgemandm said:

You need to lean a lot about thai family's  not all of them are money  hungry but most are .

it is all about the money when it comes to Thais and thailand and most westerners go to thailand with  blinkers on .

i did the first few years , but now I have leant to be a lot smarter and not get suck in to thai p???? .

but up to you and the way you think I not have a problem with it .

You were going well their for a while george,but back came that obsession with Thai cats.Back to therapy for you.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, The man from udon said:

When you buy and die,don't expect the wife to wait to wait and sell the 5 million.they go straight out and borrow what they can and just let it go to the loan sharks,banks for silly money.probably 1 million in this case.easy come easy go.as soon as a farang dies the property is put up for grabs at great losses in most cases.ive been offered property like this before.i can picture the scene.man dies,wife says don't worry mum we can borrow a million to keep up the life style and I'll pop off to the ponds of Pattaya- Phuket and go fishing for another big one but when she gets there she finds out the ponds have dried up.

The Thai article was a bit confusing but I think that's what essentially happened. The mother had lived there for 7 years then on 28th Dec 2015 a group of about 10 men arrived in a truck and seized the house and its possessions and kicked the mother out on the spot leaving her with with just her clothes. At the time the daughter was abroad and the farang son-in-law had just died.

The mother found out later the daughter had sold the house (or taken out a loan on it?) a year earlier on 22/12/14.

All the mother's possessions were taken too eg her watch and jewellery, which she wants compensation for.

On 2017/1/9 at 5:51 PM, madmitch said:

Maybe a translation of the full article, for those of us that don't read Thai, might help us understand a little more.  

You may be right . If you don't read and speak Thai you probably miss out a lot more than you think.

I learn from past experience with Immigration putting me in prison for 2 days (lock up in Narathiwat - southern thai near malaysian border). Right becomes wrong and Wrong becomes right when it suits the immigration authority. I was threatened with longer incarceration if I argue, so I shut the f....up and learned my lesson. I also signed a paper in thai language not understanding a word and no attempt to explain to me what it was all about. After signing it I was released.

4 hours ago, louse1953 said:

You were going well their for a while george,but back came that obsession with Thai cats.Back to therapy for you.

No the truth it is all about money to Thais .

and of what I have seen and told I don't leave my self open like most man in thailand.

My friend died and left his wife 10 mil in cash and a house in phuket and a 5 series bmw, 1 year later she was broke and had sold everything, blew it all on gambling and drugs and the many new friends she found who helped her spend it.

17 hours ago, Naam said:

i wouldn't call it racist but the postings in this thread are an excellent basis to extrapolate the general frustration and the narrow minded thinking combined with "schadenfreude" as well as "shared misery is half misery" of the common Farang expat in Thailand. :saai:

Do you read Thai? I don't.

Someone translated the article and it seems like all the bashing is justified. It seems to be all daughter's doing.

Also, you speak about sympathy for the deceased Farang, but the Thai article shows the sympathy to Farang, only to the Thai family who seems to have indeed squandered the money.

Personally, I find the article insulting. Farang dies, poor Thai family in trouble.

At least that's how the Thai Visa interpretation seems to be. 

Her daughter married someone 30 years older than her  , what did she expect ? No plans for the future?  If she had any brain she could have started some sort of business while the old man was alive. 

6 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Do you read Thai? I don't.

Someone translated the article and it seems like all the bashing is justified. It seems to be all daughter's doing.

i don't have to read Thai. i know how to copy and paste and how to use "Google translate". but what the article says is irrelevant. it does not justify silly insinuating remarks such as "she can't be suffering. she just spent a couple of hundred Baht for her hairdo". also there is neither a legal nor a moral justification that the creditors went after belongings of the mother to compensate for any debt the daughter might have accumulated. but whatever "wrong doing" occured does not justify any general ("they are all the same") Thai bashing.

i neither have a Thai wife nor Thai nor do i have any Thai in-laws nor do i claim to have an indepth knowledge of Thai culture or behaviour. but i take the liberty to condemn the disgusting comments presented in this thread by the majority of posters. criticising others, whether Thai or Farang, is obviously a favourite pastime of bored and frustrated Farang keyboard warriors which seems to boost their ego and self-esteem and/or compensating for inferiority complexes.

Archived