Cheating in police exams: Chief leaves way open for results to be void

webfact

Cheating in police exams: Chief leaves way open for results to be void

a4.jpg

Picture: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- National police chief Chakthip Chaijinda commented yesterday on the cheating uncovered in entrance exams for the Thai police.

It has been found that more than 400 individuals cheated in the tests.These were people taking the test who paid bribes for favors as well as people setting the exams who gave out answers, reports Daily News

Chakthip said he had received reports from the metropolitan chief of police Sanit Mahathavorn and Region 7 head Suthiphong Wongpin and was satisfied that the cheating was confined to those two sections of the police.

Asked if the reports should lead to the whole testing procedure being declared void the chief was noncommittal. He said that all things had to be considered and that a committee had been set up to examine the options in conjunction with the legal and police education departments.

Those who had not cheated and had gained fair entrance to the force also needed to be considered in the matter to ensure fairness, he said.

He said that were the results not declared void there are reserves to take the place of those who cheated.

All miscreants in the matter will be prosecuted, Chakthip reiterated.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-01-10

"chief was noncommittal"

Chief should have thought about what to say before speaking to the press and the Thai people who he serves.  For being noncommittal, he should be fired.  His position was most likely not earned, but was awarded.  Unaccountable as always.

Police Chief unambiguously sends a clear non-committing message to... who actually? The Thai public, who is used to decades of particular police conduct? To the police, who can't read anyway? To the wannabe police who still can read but will lose that skill shortly?

Ah, I know, it's a memo to himself. 

I assume chief unfamiliar with the phrase "The buck stops here". If this cheating happens on his watch, it is his responsibility. If underlings don't do their jobs, fire them. Get people in there who can do the job. Police can't seem to be able to police the police. If exam is multiple choice (easiest to grade, easiest to cheat on) then change it to essay or produce response (aka write sentence or two to answer) form. Remove names from answer sheets before grading. If they can ask sensible pertinent questions (a big 'if' for sure) then exam would be valid. End of problem

46 minutes ago, NextStationBangkok said:

You assumed it is just normal for police... :clap2:

Exactly,.... a parade example of where the REAL criminals are coming from and who they inspire to commit more unreported crimes in disguise in the name of FACE :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

5 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Be careful how you handle this, you may end up with a bunch of honest cops!

Yes by golly and the instigator who tarnished the filthy image of the cops will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Don't know what I'd do without my morning comics here. Replaces the funny pages from my favorite hometown newspaper.

3 hours ago, Brer Fox said:

Why just pick on police exams when the whole education system is based around cheating and bribing.

They are not, there is also a new exam for teachers, the degree does not actually count on it's own any more, the graduate teacher must now also take a second exam under strictly controlled conditions, and about 90% of them fail this exam despite having previously graduated from their university with a good score.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

I can't see any mention, by the police chief, of one of the ultimate points - punishment of the police who are up to their necks in organizing the cheating.

It the initial report they said that some people may be facing prosecution, presumably that would be those making money out of the scam.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

I can't see any mention, by the police chief, of one of the ultimate points - punishment of the police who are up to their necks in organizing the cheating.

The OP said "All miscreants in the matter will be prosecuted, Chakthip reiterated."

I am however waiting with bated breath to see how many keen and public spirited journalists keep us up to date with the progress of this interesting matter of national importance.  

NAH!!!   Silly Me!   It is yesterday's story already.  Who cares?  Find a new one with sex, blood and Hi-So's misbehaving, or if possible all three.................

What makes me laugh is that whenever anything like this occurs, you can never, ever find one of these "chiefs" or "top cops" to take ownership of their mess.

They always have to form a committee, presumably so that the blame for their complete lack of ability to manage the issue or accept responsibility can be spread around and cloud the real issues.

Just part of the immature Thai male mindset.

Easy fix.  Have every single police officer in the country re-sit the exams, under careful watchful eye (honest members of the public) - .  If they fail they are out, regardless of rank or position.  The government needs to start getting tough with people in positions.  

5 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

" Chakthip said he had received reports from the metropolitan chief of police Sanit Mahathavorn and Region 7 head Suthiphong Wongpin and was satisfied that the cheating was confined to those two sections of the police."

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Ah the beauty of the written English prose.  Never noticed that.  Thanks!  Good one!

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

What part of ' All miscreants in the matter will be prosecuted, Chakthip reiterated' didn't you understand?

7 minutes ago, thai3 said:

My SIL took this exam a few years ago. She did not report any cheating, but it was made clear if you wanted to take the easy route the pass mark was 400k baht, she failed!

Oh what a surprise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (NOT)  ((Specifically the pass-mark bit.))

Archived