Android box and IPTV - Kodi problems

Encid

Hi All,

I just ditched TrueVisions satellite TV (2 boxes on platinum subscription) after they dumped the HBO channels and Cinemax at the start of this month.

I figured that I'd get an Android box and get IPTV like so many others here on the forum.

So I bought a box from Lazada... good price (reduced from 8800 baht to 1850 baht) and it was delivered within 2 days.

Connected it to my home receiver and waited for it to start.

Connected it to my home wifi no problem, and then flicked through the 4 pages of apps that were pre-loaded on the box.

After locating and starting Kodi (which I've been told is probably the best for my purposes - movies mainly) I noted that Kodi already had a number of add-ons/programs installed.

Under Video, there was 1 Channel, cCloud TV, Exodus, Phoenix, and ProSport.

Under Music, there was Apple iTunes Podcasts, Sound Cloud, Radio, Broadcastify, and Vevo.

Under Programs, there was Ares Wizard, Community Portal, Addon Installer, Navi-X, and USTVNow Guide.

I'm sure that all of these were pre-installed on the box by the Thai distributor that Lazada source the box from.

My problem however is with Kodi (V16.1).

No matter what I select under the second top level menus (Video, Music etc.), the screen just goes blank.

Even when I select System, then Settings, the screen goes blank.

It stays blank too. I have left it and returned after 30 minutes and the screen is still blank.

I suspect that my Kodi has somehow become corrupted and needs to be re-installed.

Under Settings on the box I can go to Apps, select Kodi, and uninstall it... but how do I re-install it (and all its add-ons)?

I am a complete novice when it comes to Android and Kodi, so please be gentle with your replies.

Hope there is someone out there who can help. I'm at my wits end in frustration at the moment.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'll need to go to the 'Play Store', which is the Google app store on Android.

Search for Kodi and install. There's a version 17 out i believe but only for the newest Android versions... version 16.1 is fine.

Note though... Kodi is very powerful indeed, but with that power comes great confusion and frustration - even for a hardened computer savvy person, using Kodi for the first time can require much googling, swearing etc.

Have some beers handy and persevere though!

Also note that not all Android boxs are equal... far from it. Support varies greatly.

I've a Minix box, the x8-h, and they did bring out good firmware updates etc -  i'd recommend them, the newest currently is the U1 for their Android boxes but an even newer U9(?)? is due out soon with latest Android. The U1 already supports 4k and hevc compression i think...

I'll be getting the u9 once it's out, or possibly the Nvidia Shield - the Minix can be found in Bangkok easily enough though.

Rather than uninstalling completely, you could go to the same screen and then clear the cache AND data. This will effectively give you a fresh install.

After that you can go to youtube and there are many, many good tutorials on there for setting up kodi.  Just make sure you filter out all but the most recent ones. You can the have a play around and decide what you like,

The add-ons you need will depend on what you want to use kodi for. Will you be looking for on-demand movies and series?  Exodus would be a good start for that. Or, if you're looking for live TV then "Maverick" seems to work well just now.

I love Kodi and have several builds on several devices.

All work well.

As mentioned many very helpful videos on Youtube on how to set it up.

Am alternative for you is to download the many movie and live tv apps to your box.

Terrarium tv. Show box. Megabox. Movie HD to name a few.

Solid streamz. Live net tv etc. for live tv. Mobdro is another good app.

These apps will give you thousands of movies and tv shows as well as documentaries too.

Pm me if you want some help.

Not meaning to hijack your thread, but I have  similar question.

I have a Shield box running Kodi 16. Can I just update to 17? Or will I lose all my apps and settings if I do so?

Do I need to do some sort of back up first, update then re-install?

I bought the box already set up.

Read up on Ares Wizard its a decent utility. The add-ons you have are reasonable. I use Exodus for TV shows and films. Sportsdevil for the footie. These add-ons are realy just wrappers to give you easy access. For every Kodi box seller you will get different packages, They are all pretty much similar. BTW I use 16.1 and have no problems.

5 hours ago, coops said:

Search for Kodi and install. There's a version 17 out i believe but only for the newest Android versions... version 16.1 is fine.

I've a Minix box, the x8-h, and they did bring out good firmware updates etc

Kodi 17 is not final yet, so stick with 16.1 Any versions higher than 16.1 need Android 5 or newer to run. The Minix x8-h box firmware update never went past Android Kitkat 4.4 did it? 

5 hours ago, Encid said:

the screen just goes blank.

The free Kodi addons probably all obsolete and/or need updating already? If you want to watch the movie channels you mentioned you might want to consider a subscription IPTV streaming service that runs on Kodi and/or just a Smart TV streaming app without Kodi at all. Flawless seems pretty popular and a lot cheaper than True Visions with plenty of channels. For movies and TV series only plenty of free play on demand with Exodus, 123movies and Specto Kodi addons.

6 hours ago, Encid said:

So I bought a box from Lazada...

here's the beef! a kodi expert explained to me recently that these cheap android boxes are ideal to be used as door stoppers or adjustment for wobbly dining tables.

Guys,

Please can you help for those of you who are reasonably tech savvy.

I recently got a Kodi box which was supposed to come fully loaded and I am having a few problems which I will mention. I can go easily get movies and TV shows and these also update regularly with no issues.

I can get music etc etc. My problem occurs when I try to get Sky sports channels. It initially opens then quickly asks me for a passcode saying my contract expired in October 2016. I never had any contract so this must be the person who originally set it up.

Is there no way round to watch this for free? Or is this subscription only? The guy who got it for me told me there were plenty of other ways to get into Sky sports but I am obviously not clever enough to do this.

Also, I am wanting to get rid completely of True but my problem has always been my other half likes to watch Thai channels sometimes. I am in the dark regards this iptv system, as I am not that up to date. I can work my way reasonably well on a computer, but I mainly use it for e mails, FB, downloading from torrents etc.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Some great answers and knowledgeable advice from you guys... thanks very much.

I tried clearing the cache and data, but the system just hung completely so I uninstalled it completely then reinstalled a fresh version from the Google Play store.

The menu system now works fine so I'll check out Exodus (and where to get it and install it) on YouTube tomorrow (too late now).

BTW, the box delivered by Lazada is the same as that advertised here

Thanks everyone for your help... will advise progress and seek further advice from you good gents tomorrow.

Cheers.

kodi is great, but not so much for live tv,  but its not a play out the box system like true.

getting a good build that is updated is a good idea. it takes some reading up/ research (you tube is good) being able to install addons is something that is soon picked up

3 hours ago, Naam said:

here's the beef! a kodi expert explained to me recently that these cheap android boxes are ideal to be used as door stoppers or adjustment for wobbly dining tables.

Got my box from Lazada for 1990B 3 years ago. Recently had to update Kodi after Exodus started playing up, but now its as good as ever.

Exodus on Kodi, the app Mobdro (installed from their website, no longer on Play Store) for live TV, the TuneIn app for radio and Youtube, all together makes a fantastic, simple to use, set up.

3 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Guys,

I recently got a Kodi box which was supposed to come fully loaded and I am having a few problems which I will mention. I can go easily get movies and TV shows and these also update regularly with no issues.

I can get music etc etc. My problem occurs when I try to get Sky sports channels. It initially opens then quickly asks me for a passcode saying my contract expired in October 2016. I never had any contract so this must be the person who originally set it up.

Is there no way round to watch this for free? Or is this subscription only? The guy who got it for me told me there were plenty of other ways to get into Sky sports but I am obviously not clever enough to do this.

Also, I am wanting to get rid completely of True but my problem has always been my other half likes to watch Thai channels sometimes. I am in the dark regards this iptv system, as I am not that up to date. I can work my way reasonably well on a computer, but I mainly use it for e mails, FB, downloading from torrents etc.

Have you tried the Mobdro addon for android (search Mobdro on the web and download and install the apk) It has some sky sports channels and also other sports channels.

You could give that a try, but I don't know about the reliability or buffering though.

2 hours ago, Encid said:

I tried clearing the cache and data, but the system just hung completely so I uninstalled it completely then reinstalled a fresh version from the Google Play store.

The menu system now works fine so I'll check out Exodus (and where to get it and install it) on YouTube tomorrow (too late now).

Thanks everyone for your help... will advise progress and seek further advice from you good gents tomorrow.

Cheers.

The box you got LOOKS the same as the one in the link you posted, but there are many boxes that look identical but have different specs.

Why don't you post a link to the listing on Lazada, so we see exactly what you got.

My guess, going by the symptoms you describe, is that it is a 1Gb Ram box with a RK 3288 processor and that it gets pretty hot.

If this is correct you better try to return if still possible, and purchase a better spec one, because it never gonna work properly.

Feel free to send me a pm for some help and advice free of charge.

By the way, all boxes with that look have Android 4.4.2 as operating system and will be useless before the end of the year, since the latest Kodi 17 which was released on 30 December requires Android 5.1 or higher.

The operating system can not be upgraded, so expect that before the end of this year all addons will stop working in Kodi 16.1, since the developers will not support Kodi 16.1 any more.

3 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Guys,

Almost every sports channel in the world can be watched for free on Kodi, but it takes some effort to find the better quality stream, and during peak periods there will be issues with buffering. Simply because the free servers get overloaded at those times.

If you want to watch buffer free sports and virtually every live tv channel in the world you will need to purchase a subscription.

Such a full year subscription cost you less than 3 months true and works 99% of the time without buffer, taken in account that you have a reasonable internet connection of course, but you don't need a 50 Mb fiber for that.

For that money you get more than 1000 channels which include all the major European countries as well as USA and Canada.

2 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Can you give me an idea or link of the name where I can buy it please? I want away from True for sure.

There are so many internet based tv options.

It depends on your requirements. One thing to take in to consideration is the time differences for live tv if you are interested in uk or us channels.

Thaiexpat has 7 day playback options.

I would buy a android box and download showbox for movies and tv series.

Also download Mobdro for a all round package.

I pay for my sports but dont use one service. I have flirted between many services. 365 sports is the best for sports but more expensive. There are many iptv services around now for around 600 baht a month with hundreds of channels.

Im using flawless iptv now. Used iviewhd last month but there are countless more.

Like i said it depends on your requirements. There are lots of tech savy people on TV and if you search the forum you will find other options. Im sure a few will be along shortly to advise.

The box I got from Lazada was this one.

Specifications as follows:

Specifications
System&Hardware
- CPU Rockchip, RK, Quad core
- GPU Embedded 3D GPU Mali-400, High frequency 600MHz ,supporting - OpenGL ES 1.1/2.0 and OpenVG 1.1
- RAM DDRⅢ 2GB
- Storage NAND Flash 8GB
- Bluetooth support bluetooth 4.0
- OS android 4.4 Kitkat
- UI Android system User Interface(can develop customized UI)

Main Functions
- Web Browser Google Chrome
- File system FAT(RW),FAT32(RW),NTFS®
- Flash Player Adobe Flash 11.1 support or above
- DLNA Support
- Miracast Support
- Video playback MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.263, H.264, AVS, VC-1, RV, VP6, VP8,Sorenson Spark,, MVC 1920*1080P 60FPS
- Music playback MP1, MP2, MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, OGA, APE, FLAC, - AAC, M4A,3GPP etc (Muliti -EQ mode, Support Synchronized lyrics and full-page lyric display)
- Picture playback JPG, JPEG, BMP, GIF, PNG, FIF etc (Maximum resolution up to 8192*8192)
- 3D Game Can be supported by internal 3d accelerate of hardware
- Market Download applications and games from Android market
- Firmware upgrade Firmware offered by vissontech (pls contact salesman for better understanding)
- Wi-Fi Build in wifi module, 802.11b/g/n
- USB 3G Dongle Support , EVDO/WCDMA (VM128) 2100MHZ (GSM: 850/900/1800/1900MHZ)
- Multi Language Support Multi language
- Video output resolution up to 1920x1080 resolution

Interface definition
- USB 1 x USB Host; 1 x USB OTG
- SD Card slot Support Micro SD Card (up to 32GB)
- HDMI output Standard HDMI 1.4 output
- AV out Standard resolution AV signal
- RJ45 10/100 BaseT
- DC Jack 1 * DC Jack

Appreciate any comments (both negative and positive).

If it's only going to be useful as a door-stopper then I'd rather not waste any more time on it and get something that actually works.

Well today is going to be my research day.

My wife and I like our movies, so my thoughts are that Exodus on Kodi, plus Mobdro, plus YouTube will be all we're likely to need.

I'll spend some time today on Google and YouTube to try to find the latest reviews on where and how to install and operate them.

Someone mentioned earlier Builds and Add-ons for Kodi.

What is the difference? How do they work and what do they do? Do they work independently of each other or are they integrated?

Any recommendations?

13 hours ago, Encid said:

Cheers.

To make things easier on yourself you can just install a preprogrammed build which will give you every add on that you need. The build I use is kodimaster 3.3. You just go to kodimaster.com watch the video on how to install the repo and use the setup wizard and 20 minutes later you'll have the ultimate pre programmed Kodi.

i would also reccomentd that you set up a free trakt.tv account so you can save your favorite tv shows and movies so if you every have to reinstall kodi you can keep all your favorites by just adding your trakt.tv account to exodus 

I just saw your latest. A build is where a person sets up Kodi with all the programs and addons then allows other people to download the build to their machines. The one I use is kodimaster 3.3 details of which can be found on kodimaster.com or his facebook page. The guy that builds kodimaster has been doing it for years ( originally it was named andy's build ) and as well as his own builds he has incorporated other people's builds in his wizard. 

23 minutes ago, Encid said:

Specifications
System&Hardware
- GPU Embedded 3D GPU Mali-400, High frequency 600MHz ,supporting - OpenGL ES 1.1/2.0 and OpenVG 1.1
- RAM DDRⅢ 2GB
- Storage NAND Flash 8GB
- OS android 4.4 Kitkat

Main Functions
- DLNA Support
- Miracast Support
- Video playback MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.263, H.264, AVS, VC-1, RV, VP6, VP8,Sorenson Spark,, MVC 1920*1080P 60FPS
- Music playback MP1, MP2, MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, OGA, APE, FLAC, - AAC, M4A,3GPP etc (Muliti -EQ mode, Support Synchronized lyrics and full-page lyric display)
- Picture playback JPG, JPEG, BMP, GIF, PNG, FIF etc (Maximum resolution up to 8192*8192)
- Firmware upgrade Firmware offered by vissontech (pls contact salesman for better understanding)
- USB 3G Dongle Support , EVDO/WCDMA (VM128) 2100MHZ (GSM: 850/900/1800/1900MHZ)

Interface definition
- RJ45 10/100 BaseT
- DC Jack 1 * DC Jack

If it's only going to be useful as a door-stopper then I'd rather not waste any more time on it and get something that actually works.

My wife and I like our movies, so my thoughts are that Exodus on Kodi, plus Mobdro, plus YouTube will be all we're likely to need.

I'll spend some time today on Google and YouTube to try to find the latest reviews on where and how to install and operate them.

What is the difference? How do they work and what do they do? Do they work independently of each other or are they integrated?

Any recommendations?

It's got 2 GB of RAM which is OK. A lot of the boxes with that appearance only have 1 GB.  Unfortunately as it's only got Android 4.4 it's got a limited useful life now.as it won't be able to run Kodi 17.  You'll probably find that a lot of Kodi addons will still work for a while but some won't.

Mu advice now would be to use this box to learn on. Try a few builds out this will inroduce you to different add ons. After that I would start with a new install and then install only the add-ons you really use.  Builds just overload your box with a bunch of rubbish you'll probably never use.

If you get a set up you're happy with, then that's the time to get a new box. But get one with at least Android 5 or even better if it's 6.

16 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Kodi 17 is not final yet, so stick with 16.1 Any versions higher than 16.1 need Android 5 or newer to run. The Minix x8-h box firmware update never went past Android Kitkat 4.4 did it? 

Yes, the X8-h is only up to Android 4.4 - I use it as a Plex client ( and the new official Plex Kodi addon is very good) and for that it works perfectly - which is the main thing.

Once the newer U9 comes out that will be a good upgrade with hevc decoding and so on and the latest android builds. 

Minix support is good ( it was a deliberate decision not to update Android on the x8 for instance, and the old adage of 'if it's not broken, don't fix it' applied as it seeme Android 5 introduced new bugs and issues on other boxes) , and from Plex forums it would seem the Nvidia shield is also a very good choice for a media box ( get the more expensive Pro version though... and there's a new model out in a few months).

1 hour ago, Encid said:

Specifications
System&Hardware
- RAM DDRⅢ 2GB
- Storage NAND Flash 8GB
- OS android 4.4 Kitkat

Main Functions
- DLNA Support
- Miracast Support

Interface definition
- RJ45 10/100 BaseT
- DC Jack 1 * DC Jack

Any recommendations?

It has 2Gb RAM, which should be sufficient, however as I said in my other post it has a Rockchip RK3288 processor. Rockchip has never been supported by Kodi because Rockchip didn't want to provide the source to the Kodi developers.

SPMC, which is a fork of Kodi, has supported Rockchip for some time in the past, but also discontinued that almost a year ago.

I suspect the box get also pretty warm. I have a identical box still laying around here from which the CPU melted down. It was my very first box I ever purchased, just to give you an idea how outdated it is.

As I said previously, and which was confirmed by another poster, the Android 4.4 will make it a door stop only in less than a year from now, because you can not update Kodi on KitKat.

You have 14 days after delivery to return the box, and receive a full refund from Lazada, so my advice would be to return it if you still can.

Regarding your question about addon and builds.Exodus is an example of an addon. What is called an app in Android is called an addon in Kodi. An addon has to be installed manually, a build is a compilation of addons, and also has to be installed manually. Of course a build is the easy way when you just start with Kodi, but most builds are too heavy, because they contain too many addons that you will never use.

The secret to a good working box is to preserve as much system memory as possible.

You can always PM me as I can put you in the right direction

It sounds like this box is obsolete before I start.

Well it was discounted on Lazada from 8,800 baht down to 1,880 baht so I guess you get what you pay for.

I noticed another box on the Lazada site: this one.

It is running Android Lolipop 5.1 so I assume that will last longer than 1 year?

It has been discounted from 12,500 baht down to 2,380 baht so seems like a good deal.

I could return the soon-to-be-obsolete box and use the refund as a deposit on the new box.

Thoughts?

By the way, I watched the Kodimaster webpage video on the repo build and tried to install it.

I followed the instructions to the letter but it appears that the version of Kodi used in the video is not quite the same as the version I downloaded yesterday, but I did manage to find where the commands were within Kodi File Manager.

I managed to add the Kodimaster repo as a source, install from zipfile, install from repository, and enable the Kodimaster Wizard as a program addon.

However when I exit to the Main Menu and select Programs, the Kodimaster Wizard is not listed so I cannot select a build.

Any suggestions?

BTW @Allstars I will send you a PM separately but thought that my questions and the answers you guys have been giving may provide other members of the forum some useful advice as well.

Thanks.

Archived