"Nadia" the giant croc terrorizing southern Thai town

webfact

10 hours ago, impulse said:

It's not an indigenous critter, it's not an endangered species, it could be a hazard to anyone who's not familiar with their habits, it does have commercial value, and they taste a lot like chicken.  Not to mention all the indigenous critters they'd be saving by taking it out of the food chain- where it does not belong.

Back home, they'd have the rotisserie going around the same time they bring in the errant 'gator.  (Edit: we leave the crocs alone- not so many of them)   With boiled corn and new potatoes and cole slaw at the ready.

I've eaten croc meat and it sure didn't taste like chicken !   If it did, they would have all been served up long ago.  It's nasty rancid stuff in my opinion. 

District chief had dismissed the report because political rivals were trying to discredit him.... <deleted>... deliberately endangering the local population to save face... he should be sacked immediately.

Anyway.... I suppose he can now out himself and admit being discredited, as a minimum. 

i do hope his ego, conceit and lack of responsibility don't get anybody killed... if that does happen, dog forbid, I hope he is held accountable... 

1 hour ago, Penicillin said:

I've eaten croc meat and it sure didn't taste like chicken !   If it did, they would have all been served up long ago.  It's nasty rancid stuff in my opinion. 

Crocodile meat tends to taste of whatever it feeds from.

In captivity they are mainly fed chicken and do taste like it. I've eaten it many times.(Darwin Crocodile Park, Coles supermarket.)

A wild crocodile could have been feeding on anything.

38 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Crocodile meat tends to taste of whatever it feeds from.

In captivity they are mainly fed chicken and do taste like it. I've eaten it many times.(Darwin Crocodile Park, Coles supermarket.)

A wild crocodile could have been feeding on anything.

I believe they stash their kill underwater to allow it to  putrefy before consuming it. Perhaps that accounts for the taste. 

8 hours ago, ikke said:

In case she hurt or kills someone, I do hope its a government official.... this is not about being stupid or protective to others, this is about bad people.....so take them out is no loss.

I there was instant Karma district chief Chaonawat Senapong would be the one :smile:

8 hours ago, South said:

NST zoo is one of the saddest places I have been to. Big cats in cages far too small, herbivores with no grass, primates in confined spaces, birds that have no space to fly and crocs in crowded small pools. She saw her chance and 'legged it'' (same as last year if I remember correctly). Go Nadia ................................... and keep well away from the human race.

Phuket zoo in Ao Chalong is the same, sad place for the animals.

16 hours ago, impulse said:

It's not an indigenous critter, it's not an endangered species, it could be a hazard to anyone who's not familiar with their habits, it does have commercial value, and they taste a lot like chicken.  Not to mention all the indigenous critters they'd be saving by taking it out of the food chain- where it does not belong.

Back home, they'd have the rotisserie going around the same time they bring in the errant 'gator.  (Edit: we leave the crocs alone- not so many of them)   With boiled corn and new potatoes and cole slaw at the ready.

id like it to  eat  as  many  soi  dogs as  it  can

17 hours ago, worgeordie said:

they didn't want to panic the locals, ",how irresponsible is that, 

there is too much trying to cover stuff up here,instead of facing

whatever the problem is.

regards worgeordie

Theres a nuclear reactor here too !!

Hi everyone, I'm a crocodile expert with the IUCN. It's important to get a few facts clarified here- first and foremost, both the saltwater crocodile (Crocodylus porosus) and the Siamese crocodile (C. siamensis) are native to Thailand...it's just that both species were decimated by hide hunting during the mid-20th Century and habitat destruction had prevented them from successfully rebounding. Wild populations of saltwater crocodiles were essentially eliminated by the 1970s...although there are unconfirmed reports of small populations still remaining near the borders with Malaysia (Kelantan) and Myanmar (Ranong). The Siamese crocodile still persist in very small numbers in a few areas, but the viability of most of these populations is questionable.  So the argument that these escaped animals are not-native is nonsense. The photos clearly show a large saltwater crocodile (and there is no way that is a female, females max out at 3.5m or in very rare circumstances 4m...males can be over 6m in rare circumstances). Historically saltwater crocodiles in Thailand ranged all through the Malay Peninsula, Phuket, to the border with Myanmar and in the lower Chao Phraya river in Bangkok (there are reports of fatal attacks from Bangkok, as well as the Damnuen area, from the early 20th century) all the way to the border with Cambodia. Today saltwater crocodiles are also probably extinct in Cambodia and definitely extinct in Vietnam, but populations do remain in two parts of Myanmar (the Irrawaddy delta and the Tanintharyi region). Despite historically notorious on Ramree island, they are now extinct there as well. The saltwater crocodile sighted off a beach in Phuket a few years ago was likely a wild individual from either Myanmar, Malaysia Sumatra, or even possibly the Andaman Islands. 

41 minutes ago, Cporosus1 said:

Hi everyone, I'm a crocodile expert with the IUCN. It's important to get a few facts clarified here- first and foremost, both the saltwater crocodile (Crocodylus porosus) and the Siamese crocodile (C. siamensis) are native to Thailand...it's just that both species were decimated by hide hunting during the mid-20th Century and habitat destruction had prevented them from successfully rebounding. Wild populations of saltwater crocodiles were essentially eliminated by the 1970s...although there are unconfirmed reports of small populations still remaining near the borders with Malaysia (Kelantan) and Myanmar (Ranong). The Siamese crocodile still persist in very small numbers in a few areas, but the viability of most of these populations is questionable.  So the argument that these escaped animals are not-native is nonsense. The photos clearly show a large saltwater crocodile (and there is no way that is a female, females max out at 3.5m or in very rare circumstances 4m...males can be over 6m in rare circumstances). Historically saltwater crocodiles in Thailand ranged all through the Malay Peninsula, Phuket, to the border with Myanmar and in the lower Chao Phraya river in Bangkok (there are reports of fatal attacks from Bangkok, as well as the Damnuen area, from the early 20th century) all the way to the border with Cambodia. Today saltwater crocodiles are also probably extinct in Cambodia and definitely extinct in Vietnam, but populations do remain in two parts of Myanmar (the Irrawaddy delta and the Tanintharyi region). Despite historically notorious on Ramree island, they are now extinct there as well. The saltwater crocodile sighted off a beach in Phuket a few years ago was likely a wild individual from either Myanmar, Malaysia Sumatra, or even possibly the Andaman Islands. 

On the "native" part, I stand corrected.  Not on the "indigenous" part.

Wolves are native to London and grizzly bears are native to Los Angeles.  Neither one has any place in either of those locations any more.   

I'm going to have to disagree. There are efforts to reintroduce wolves to England (not London, but the natural areas in England) and there is talk of reintroducing brown bears to some wilderness areas in California (although this is a bit more controversial due to the fact that the California brown bear was a genetically distinct subspecies). I support efforts to reintroduce saltwater crocodiles into wilderness areas in Thailand, obviously not major population centers like Bangkok though. There still exists habitat near the border with Myanmar and some habitat near the border with Malaysia. These plans are actually already underway, since Thailand is trying to downlist the species (so that they can export more skins) so there is a push to reintroduce the species into suitable habitat. Crocodiles aren't really the problem, the real problem is an unsustainable human population (which causes as many problems for humans as it does for other animals). 

ok , cute story but aren't there bigger issues in connection with what all those poor people have to endure ? and another thing : I was just watching news on cnn when they wanted to air a report about the flooding in the south and it was cut off and replaced with that all too familiar sign of " programming will return shortly " . so now everything regarding the land of the smile which is not all about kissing their butts will be edited ? should not more people know about the plight of all those people , so more help can come in ? Everybody who was still unsure should realize : whatever else they call it , we are at present living under a military dictatorship

3 hours ago, natway09 said:

I am not an expert but ask any Oze & they will tell you that a big salty like this big fella will eat people when it is hungry.

It is a danger & needs to be shot on sight now it is free,,, Sorry old fella

Too true... scary shit... and my take on Cporosus's expert opinion is that the unsustainable human population, in reference crocs, is that crocs will eat the humans, right f'ing quick.

On 1/11/2017 at 11:47 PM, Penicillin said:

Its my understanding it needs to be butchered properly or can result in bad taste. I had some delicious gator tail once. Told my 6 year old it was chicken.  Boy was she mad after she devoured the whole plate.

i turn on the documentary channel national geographic , it's all about croc. Then the news on tv about croc. Now they say don't kill it on any account on this website.

My GF said there is a nice hand bag she saw in paragon, it's croc skin hand bag.

I am so tired of crocodile. All day long it's crocodiles. Please no more Croc.

Archived