nana plaza back in the day

upside

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/11/2017 at 3:06 PM, NickJ said:

About thirty years ago. I would guess. I remember when the Plaza was pretty much it on the whole soi. Is the John your referring to English Johnny? The guy that later came to run quite a few of the bars.

No,he was Californian.

On 1/11/2017 at 2:55 PM, teakman said:

I was living beside the klong at rail tracks when Nana plaza first opened. rents started at 4000baht/month and the first gogo bar was called Woodstock run by an American.after a few months he moved it to the corner of the plaza where he had a restaurant downstairs with the bar upstairs.i had my breakfast there everyday and John(the owner)and I were hockey fans so we used to watch taped games on his wall screen. after a few months,more bars started up and was giving patpong a run for it's money while soi cowboy with its few bars was ever so quiet. a bunch of us along with a bevy of bar girls used to hang out at the Nana hotel pool and one of the guys(a Belgian mercenary)decided to open the first beer bar at the entrance called Lucky Luke's.it was the only bar open during the day and remained there for years. John at Woodstock arranged the first dance contest and was won by my favorite girl at the time. too bad I still don't have the promo t-shirt which had aow(the eventual winner) in sillouette on it. beers were still relatively cheap then at 20baht at the beginning(exchange then @25b/$1) and bar fines @200b and the dancer was 200-300baht with no time restraints then like they are now. most of the time they would even wash your clothes for you and clean your place.real gf experiences then unlike now. different times indeed!

Glad you remember so many details. I do not, but then I never lived in Bangkok, just visited frequently. I first stayed at the Nana in 1967, Nana Plaza was not there yet, but there were several clubs in the Nana, on Sukhumvit, and on soi 3 when it was not yet the Middle Eastern ghetto it is today.

I used to like the three bars with "Rose" in their names on Sukhumvit between soi 8 and 16. They were still there in the early ‘80s. The best bar areas in that time were still Patpong--I liked the Bunny House and the Kangaroo club which were upstairs above Max's, they too were still there in the’80s-- but there were dozens of bigger clubs with live shows and dancing girls. There was also a cavernous bar/night club called, Thai Heaven, on Petchaburi road. Heaven had hundreds of girls and even held Muay Thai matches between band sets.

The Nana bell boys could arrange just about anything you wanted, and you could still get all the amenities, including a tuk-tuk ride for cheap. I used to rent a Mercedes with driver 24/7 for cheap—don’t remember how much, but cheap enough to keep at your disposal if you liked to dash about town. I used to telex them my flight schedule and they would pick me up at the airport. Still know one of the two brothers who owned and drove the Merc—he owns jewelry stores now, his brother died a few years ago.   

An interesting aside; how many of you remember having to ask the girl if she "smokes"  because many didn't.

18 minutes ago, jonwilly said:

No Nana Plaza in 79-80 when I was a Cowboy player. Nana came along before mid 80's. Land owned by Khun Nana an elderly Indian gent who had an old wooden House laid back, on Sukhumvit between where the 'Super Highway' would cross and soi 3.

To the best of my knowledge the Nana Tailors where related, first located on Sukhumvit then on the entrance to the Plaza. Bough many a suit off them.

Woodstock was HQ for the NanPong group of Drinkers and as mentioned their first Dance Contests where in that area along with a bar on Patpong 2, name slips my mind..

I got to like 'Playschool' in later years also I chatted up the Best looking girl in Casanova and as also been said Kings Castle down Patpong had probably the best girls, sum ''Stunners" as the lads said back then.

Nana has always been suspect on the 'Fire' front, many say a death trap waiting to happen.

Had many a pleasant evening in their, although Cowboy was my main playground.

john

Youth is wasted on the Young. Onest.

I believe the family stil owns significant land in the vicinity, possibly including the vacant lot adjacent to Nana BTS ( worth billions today). As Nana becomes more gentrified and land prices skyrocket, more of these old bars and restaurants are going to go. The seafood place ,Cnr 4 and 6, has gone and something new is going up.

On 1/11/2017 at 4:20 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

Back in the days a lot of the girls would wear flip flops on stage, but then within a few years long shafted boots were the latest go-go fashion. 

The Garry Larson cartoons at the Woodstock rest rooms were always a good read.

Lots of fun memories.

Good memory mate.Larson was not in my home town and i used to spend a lot of time in the dunny.The rock and roll family tree was interesting as well.

On 1/12/2017 at 7:16 PM, Fabricus said:

I definitely remember the name Three Roses. Wasn't that Nana Plaza?

The owner was a Pom when i was there.He worked in Suadi and didn't like Arabs.We were walking down Soi 3.one arvo and 3 Arabs were in front of us.He flattened 2 and the other lifted up his skirt and bolted.The Thai's didn't bat an eyelid.I was castigated for letting the 3rd get away.We used to watch Faulty Towers in Three Roses in the arvo.Sexy Night for the women.Woodstock for the music ans Roses for a laugh.Didn't move far in those days.Oh yeah, a couple of beers in the bar in the corner,next to Sexy Night,you know the one i mean.The only bar i didn't go into,because they wouldn't let me was the Jap Gentlemans Club.

1 minute ago, louse1953 said:

The owner was a Pom when i was there.He worked in Suadi and didn't like Arabs.We were walking down Soi 3.one arvo and 3 Arabs were in front of us.He flattened 2 and the other lifted up his skirt and bolted.The Thai's didn't bat an eyelid.I was castigated for letting the 3rd get away.We used to watch Faulty Towers in Three Roses in the arvo.Sexy Night for the women.Woodstock for the music ans Roses for a laugh.Didn't move far in those days.Oh yeah, a couple of beers in the bar in the corner,next to Sexy Night,you know the one i mean.The only bar i didn't go into,because they wouldn't let me was the Jap Gentlemans Club.

I'd forgotten that, Woodstock for the music is right, thanks for reminding me.

On 1/12/2017 at 7:16 PM, Fabricus said:

I definitely remember the name Three Roses. Wasn't that Nana Plaza?

Three Roses was one of the names of the three bars with "Rose" in their names on Sukhumvit--soi 8-16, another was simply called "Rose" I believe--the Three Roses, again, I believe, was a reference to the three sisters who owned the bars, The Three Roses may have moved to Nana Plaza. 

On 1/13/2017 at 2:54 PM, Toronto said:

Original thermae entrance was from rear of building thru unisex horng nam. Heaps of girls and few foreigners. Fantastic place. Freelancers everywhere. About 1985. Ahhh...nostalgia.

Many girls from Nana would walk down with me to Thermae,through the yellow dunny and that narrow passage way into,instant party.

22 hours ago, GBK said:

Agree with all, except I can remember a few more bars, like Farang Connection, DC10 and a couple of others and Peaches and the French place (was that the Rainbow??) on the opposite balcony, next to Woodstock, which was run by Peter, who had a partner/s that I never saw. His toilet was the most entertaining that I have ever been in, it was plastered with Far Side cartoons.

Peter,that's it.I knew John wasn't right.Good man with plenty of stories in the afternoon.

22 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

No it wasn't.

The Grace hotel was mainly used during the Vietnam era by GI's on R&R. By the mid-eighties, when there was only Patpong and Cowboy, the Grace was a relic; the only people staying there were Arabs.

You right.The Grace was great before about 1984.Then the Arabs bought and that was that.Was there once when a pig was let loose.

12 hours ago, bandito said:

I arrived at the Grace Hotel from Don Muang  november 05 1976 at 1700 hrs.

There were no Arab tourists as yet and this hotel was mainly used by sex tourgroups from Europe, Neckermann and a Dutch tour (forgot the name).

These groups booked all the rooms there and I could have a room for 3 days at a cost of Baht 150- a night because than a new batch of sex tourists would arrive, so I went with one of the girls home and stayed with her for 5 months, she had a room in the Lad Phrao slums which did'nt bother me at the least.

Back to the Grace Hotel, the coffeeshop downstairs kept open all night and had about 200 girls hanging around there, a real candy store.

At the foot of the stairs, to the rooms, stood a table with a Thai guy and if you took a girl upstairs you had to pay Baht 40- as a fee for room cleaning.

There was Martial Law in Bangkok and you had to stay indoors from 2400 til 0400 am but all or most bars were open all night so there was no problem with this.

The later Arab tourists were all staying in the Nana Hotel not Grace Hotel.

Aah, the good times, all gone now.

I wanted to go home at about 2am but the girls wouldn't let me because of curfew.Just cleared a seat for me and slept there.

On 1/11/2017 at 3:06 PM, NickJ said:

About thirty years ago. I would guess. I remember when the Plaza was pretty much it on the whole soi. Is the John your referring to English Johnny? The guy that later came to run quite a few of the bars.

I can go back over 30 years too. First, as far as I know Woodstock was owned by an American called Peter. Johnny was English, and he owned about four of the bars, "The Hollywoods" although he let out "Stars" and his son Kevin used to manage for him too.

The biggest difference is that back then only Casanova was a Ladyboy bar, not like now where they outnumber the girls only bars.

I used to know all the farang managers.

1 hour ago, optad said:

Bernard Trink was remembered earlier for his column in the BKPost. 

trink.header2_0.jpg

This interview/article might be of interest on topic. 

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/08/26/night-prowl-legendary-lechery-bernard-nite-owl-trink

A female reporter on Coconuts is hardly a "spiritual successor" to Trink's Night Owl in the Post. Sorry luv.....

i was first there in '96 and used to frequent the Hogs Breath Saloon up on the second level,....ive seen an identical "hogs breath saloon" sign of some obscure soi off sukumvit pattaya near soi batman ..... not sure if same owner or not but often tempted to stop and ask...

Used to always stop in Nana for a couple nights when on R&R , but since the new airport opened have only been in that area 2-4 times and these days plenty of good bars outside Nana ..

18 minutes ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Sorry, it was aimed at the reporter. I knew Trink as well as anyone could, I lived in the same apartment block for about a year, and I worked on the national newspapers too. This girl has ideas above her station.

Cheers.

Well, this is thread to spill George.

It is not salacious just a revisit off the past and a litmus of change as we get older. I personally never Mr Trink of course and my Thai experience and goes back to 94 ish. I  remember some of what other posters have related here but this thread has been good value for putting living history back into whatever community we belong too. Each story gives gaps a bridge.

So anecdotalise us about Bernard if you could. I am sure it would be appreciated.

Thx George!

5 minutes ago, optad said:

Well, this is thread to spill George.

It is not salacious just a revisit off the past and a litmus of change as we get older. I personally never Mr Trink of course and my Thai experience and goes back to 94 ish. I  remember some of what other posters have related here but this thread has been good value for putting living history back into whatever community we belong too. Each story gives gaps a bridge.

So anecdotalise us about Bernard if you could. I am sure it would be appreciated.

Thx George!

Ha ha, I'll take the 5th amendment while Bernie's still alive and kicking

On 1/12/2017 at 6:49 PM, Fabricus said:

Wow! What a superb post.

Can you remember the Belgian guy's name?

Also, do you remember when Soi Zero opened?

Buckskin Joe's was Matchim behind the Tourist Souvenir Center, soi zero was the back of the night market the other side of the railway track.

The Belgian Guy was Christian, French guys in, I think it was called, Rose Marie were called Richard & Alain. Play-Skool owner was English Richard, given time I could go on.

On 1/13/2017 at 2:42 PM, GBK said:

I confirm White Rabbit was there first, and It always had one empty seat, being for Harvey. Next to White Rabbit/Thriller on the left in the corner was Private Dancer. Thriller was split into two by Johnny after a while and we got the 2nd and third Hollywood bars (Royal & Nights) after Hollywood Stars (run by Rick and Ken) on the 1st floor between Hog's Breath and Three Roses and Farang Connection, with DC10 where it still is. The 4th Hollywood was on the 3rd floor LHS and opposite after the snooker closed was Carousel.

I remember watching the 1994 Chelski v Man Utd FA Cup Final in Royal and there must have been about 100 naked girls on the dance floor and nobody was looking at them, everyone was watching the match.

I also remember Bob's chili in Hog's Breath too.

4 hours ago, upside said:

Arab sorry not Indian descent 

You seem to make the very common mistake that many western's make. That is, to assume that all muslims are Arabs. When, actually, the world's population of muslims is made up of only 20% Arabs.

The confusion here is that the Nana family have been Thai "citizens" for many decades, but they are of Indian blood. 

Can anyone remember the name of the bar on the 1st floor RHS that did the "Shows" (not sex shows) where the girls dressed up and mimed to songs from South Pacific and other musicals and classic and popular tunes. I think there was a katoy too, maybe one that escaped from the "Cabaret Clubs" like Simon's and did the choreography.

I still have my Hollywood Stars T-shirt.

On 1/13/2017 at 9:06 PM, freebyrd said:

His name was/is Richard Hodkinson, he was a Marine, not SAS - yawn! It was him that opened Voodoo and the helped star Playskool, He did a runner late 1998. Liverpool? It was also said that he was feeding the fish in Pattaya bay, who knows?

Yes I knew Richard pretty well. He never BSd me about British Army.

I used to joke with him he looked like Jack Nicholson.

I know he scammed a few greedy people.

I too doubt he would be anywhere near Liverpool, but he just might be "sleeping with the fishes."

On 1/13/2017 at 9:29 PM, SupermarineS6B said:

Brilliant !   Served me time in the old Thermae, Clinton Plaza, Soi Cowboy, Nana, and the real star used to be the Malaysia hotel at four in the morning when all the little bunnies used to re-group from the assorted pleasure palaces........  Soi 13 used to be good as well, especially about five or six in the morning when most of the girls used to turn the meter off and just opt for a bed anywhere......... I remember driving down Sukhumvit with two sisters in the pick up stark naked comparing the latest fashion in shaved tackle........  Also don't forget the PB short time palace, i had a season ticket in there, if those walls could talk !!!!  The best night out in the world.....   Sadly them days are gone........

Clinton Plaza! Wow, yes I remember that. It was set up by another Brit, but I forget his name for now.

Can you remember what the bar that is now Thermae was called? Something like "Jerry's Cellar Bar" I think.

13 hours ago, Ricardo Galbis said:

Remembering some great times during the late 80's in Bangkok, such as:

The 'Thermaye' was a blast!! When everywhere else was closing, the Thermaye was the place to go! Tuk-tuks all lined outside the Miami Hotel (11 Sukamvit); you entered from the kitchen door around back from an alley, through the kitchen as workers were cleaning, passed through a doorway and then opened up to (2) large lounge areas, then you buddy-up to the bar to find your bottle of Mekong (with your name on it from last night), after a few drinks you either found a stall/couch/standing-room and danced to the jukebox music. Girls would come up to you for conversation and a meet-drink: these girls were party wolves; they would come from Soi Cowboy, Nana, Patong after closing; they didn't want money, they were more interested in 'more fun!' Never saw the sunrise, but with an 6am closing, then, myself and friends would lounge around the pool at the Miami (this is the hotel the GI's used to frequent during their R&R days), and order more Mekong & coke and bet on the Muay-Thai fights on TV (Sun or Wed). Being ch-oung and stupid at the time (1980's) it was heaven within paradise. 

I booked into Miami first time I came to Bangkok in the mid-80s.It is on Soi 13 by the way. Oddly enough lazing by the pool at the Miami late in the afternoon I noticed the little car park and all the people going in and out of the back entrance to "something". That evening was I sat in the hotel bar and asked the barman what it was, as from the front it was a Turkish Baths as far as I could see. The barman explained and I never looked back. I must be one of the few who ever came out so late I had to go out the front door!!!

When they moved I got a personal invite to "opening night" and a free beer. They still make a fuss now when I get chance to drop in.

Archived