Preah Vihear Temple open from Thai side?

scubachild

Your post and thread title seem to be asking different thimngs.

If the question is whether there is access to the temple from Thailand, the answer is NO. One has to enter from within Cambodia, and thsi is very unlikley to change anytime soon.

If the question is whether Thai p[eople can visit the temple, assuming they first enter Cambodia legally, I believe the answer is yes (though for a period of time, they were barred).

Nope. Went to Si Saket two weeks ago. Elected not to do the 'long' drive to the cliffs as I'd seen the ruins many years ago when the site was still open from the Thai side (amazing place, btw). Thought I'd be disappointed after that to be only able to see them from a distance. Not sure if that was a smart decision. I hope the two countries can put the past behind them and open up the Thai again, but I understand Cambo's reluctance given some of the loonies on this side of the border. [A former gf of mine--a self-proclaimed Yellow Shirt--refused to believe that Khmer ruins in Thailand were actually built by Khmers rather than Thais!]   

On 1/12/2017 at 8:59 AM, Coota said:

Where in Kantharalak did you stay BB?  I would like to visit again, I first went in 2008 and was able to view the old ruins on the cambo side, it was stunning, probably the best place I have visited in Thailand.

I live in Amphur Kantharalak.

See my guide to accommodation and entertainment in Meuang Kantharalak in the attached Word document

Kantaralak hotels & ents 14jan17.docx

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:59 AM, Coota said:

Where in Kantharalak did you stay BB?  I would like to visit again, I first went in 2008 and was able to view the old ruins on the cambo side, it was stunning, probably the best place I have visited in Thailand.

We had the rooms facing the street which were a little noisy. Hotel has bungalows at the back which look a better idea.

20151013_081000.jpg

• 4 months later...
5 hours ago, dreaming said:

Is this temple still closed from the Thai side.

Yes. No moves to change that under current Thai regime as far as can be detected. No incentive for Cambodia to press for common sense shared access either, it would seem, even though it might get them much more money from day visitors.

If so, is it worth the drive from sisaket to look from a distance if possible?

Depends. In my view it was worth it for a visitor when the fee was 200 baht but probably not worth it at 400 baht. I have not tried the "I live here, have a Thai driving license and pay Thai taxes" which got me into another regional NP at Thai rates a couple of years ago when the prices were going up.

Probably is worth it if you are a Sisaket resident and have done everything else there is to see in the region. It's certainly as nice a mountainous jungle view as you'll get this side of Pa Taem National Park on the Mekong in Ubon Province. I saw in this or previous threads that some respondents thought the view over the cliff into the jungle and the view of the temple in the distance plus the cliff prehistoric drawings walk was worthwhile and some who thought not - recall thinking that was inconclusive as it was unclear what different people paid!

Are there any waterfalls near there?

Yes there are waterfalls in the vicinity, but not in that national park (or at least not ones that have attracted my attention and I do live locally. Underneath the Dangrak Mountain chain that defines the Thai/Cambodia border there are some reservoirs that are above the plains level and therfore their outfalls go over some rocks in a couple of places south of Khun Han and drop say 30 metres. Quite pretty and probably reasonably impressive flows at times in rainy season but hardly world-shattering or even Thai-shattering as tourist events. Quite nice for locals to go picnicking and swimming, but I would not travel a long way (even from Meuang Sisaket) just to see them and you might be prevented from getting close in this, the height of rainy, season anyway - for safety reasons 

Thanks

Sorry about the formatting - usual Cr@p (these days) unpredictable ThaiV user experience! Had to italicise my answers to make it clear who is saying what! Dunno why we bother still.

Maybe you should have asked "Is it worth going to Cambodia and seeing it from the Khmer side", to which I would have answered yes and it's on my radar to do so, even though I did see it from the Thai side many moons ago before the soldiers and politicos decided to make a nonsense of the situation. It really is a quite evocative mountainside location best clambered around rather than looked at from several clicks away.

Kantharalak resident

• 11 months later...

Sorry to resurrect a zombie, but...

Any latest info? Is the crossing still closed to go from the Thai side to Preah Vihear? My wife and I will be in the area this summer and would love to see a World Heritage Site like this.

29 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Sorry to resurrect a zombie, but...

Any latest info? Is the crossing still closed to go from the Thai side to Preah Vihear? My wife and I will be in the area this summer and would love to see a World Heritage Site like this.

If your referring to the local crossing at PV its been closed from about July 2008 and there are no planes of it ever being opened again. The closes from Thailand would be to use the Chong Sa Ngam border crossing at GPS 14.3456702295, 104.058463082 where on the Cambodia side you can arrange a taxi to take you to PV. Be advised the Khmer do not allow Thais to visit this site even from within Cambodia.

i didn't think the temple itself was that impressive, but that was just after visiting angkor wat.  the view from the escarpment is supposed to be spectacular, however  smoke from farmers burning off fields (and clear-cutting forest) reduced visibility.

you might consider wat phu an option, similar distance from sisaket, in laos just south of pakse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vat_Phou

Don't be put off by one man's one-day experience. Not an all-year round event and I've not seen smoke problems in my 5+ visits.

Whether it's worth the 400 baht NP fee is debatable IMO*. In the region of SE Isaan I think that Pha Taem NP in eastern Ubon Ratchathani province, overlooking the Mekong but with many different attractions inside, is the only NP that's clearly worth the fee.

[Or is it back down to 200 baht these dats? And I ignore the possibility of you blagging your way in with Thai-speaking, charm and documentation! Has worked occasionally for me at some NPs and once at Pha Taem (though I don't claim too much charm!)]

* Visits have often been to take guests - we live 65km away

• 2 weeks later...

[Or is it back down to 200 baht these dats? And I ignore the possibility of you blagging your way in with Thai-speaking, charm and documentation! Has worked occasionally for me at some NPs and once at Pha Taem

400b a week ago and I speak good Thai and had my pink card and yellow book. Snotty old man... It’s worth it though. Plenty of water at Soi Sawan waterfall now.

I think the viewpoint and hike at Khao Phra Wihan is worth the money but I like viewpoints.

• 1 month later...
On 1/30/2017 at 10:50 AM, Bredbury Blue said:

We had the rooms facing the street which were a little noisy. Hotel has bungalows at the back which look a better idea.

20151013_081000.jpg

The closest place to rent a car to drive, would be Ubon?  If so any shop in particular?

To view from the Cambodian side, thru that crossing, I imagine it would be the $35 visa plus  about how much would a driver want from the closest crossing to the ruins and back in 1 day?

I might skip the thai side , and just drive to Pha Taem NP, unless self driving is not advisable from Ubon  etc ?

On 6/21/2018 at 4:18 AM, ubonrthai said:

400b a week ago and I speak good Thai and had my pink card and yellow book. Snotty old man... It’s worth it though. Plenty of water at Soi Sawan waterfall now.

I think the viewpoint and hike at Khao Phra Wihan is worth the money but I like viewpoints. 

I think he meant that   the Preah Vihar NP

Soi Sawan looks to be in Pha Taem NP , which he was saying Was worth the 400B  (? 20 for Thais ?)

• 9 months later...
On 6/9/2018 at 7:34 PM, khwaibah said:

If your referring to the local crossing at PV its been closed from about July 2008 and there are no planes of it ever being opened again. The closes from Thailand would be to use the Chong Sa Ngam border crossing at GPS 14.3456702295, 104.058463082 where on the Cambodia side you can arrange a taxi to take you to PV. Be advised the Khmer do not allow Thais to visit this site even from within Cambodia.

My Thai wife & I (retired Aussie) are planning to visit Preah Vihear next week via the Chong Sa-Ngam border crossing.

Currently, can Thai nationals visit Preah Vihear from the Cambodian side?

33 minutes ago, Getup said:

My Thai wife & I (retired Aussie) are planning to visit Preah Vihear next week via the Chong Sa-Ngam border crossing.

Currently, can Thai nationals visit Preah Vihear from the Cambodian side?

To my knowledge No. They will not allow any Thai nation to visit. There has been no update on this info for a very long time so the only way you are going to find out is to give it a go and report back.

I would not be so categoric that the spat will continue forever if this 2016 posting from a Cambodian expats website is anything to go by:

https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/post117928.html#p117928

The OP might get an answer about current policy on the Camby side if he can register/post on this or one of any other Cambodian expat websites.

image.png.f1e8628f5160945c45cf9e3476f5af73.png

On 5/24/2019 at 10:36 AM, khwaibah said:

To my knowledge No. They will not allow any Thai nation to visit. There has been no update on this info for a very long time so the only way you are going to find out is to give it a go and report back.

Yesterday,  Mon 27th May, we visited Preah Vihear Temple from Thailand via the Chong Sa-Ngam border crossing. The “we” being me (retired Aussie on a 12-month retirement visa extension), my wife and her mum & dad who are Thai citizens. We live about an hour away from the border crossing in Sisaket province.

It turned out to be an easy process. Parked the car at the border, went through Thai Immigration and walked across the border into Cambodia. I had to get a visa to enter (good for a month though I was only there for a matter of hours). The family just had their Thai passports stamped.  Several taxi drivers approached us. The missus picked one and we headed off. The drive took around 1 ½ hour to where we had to buy our entry tickets. We then transferred to a Hi-Lux crew cab and were driven up a steep road to the temple entrance. We stayed at the temple for a few hours, then returned by the way we came. Crossing back into Thailand was easy with me slowing the process up as I had to fill in an Arrival/Departure card.

A few comments.

I got a Thai re-entry visa prior to going there. You need to take a passport photo with you to obtain a Cambodian visa. Getting a visa took about 5 minutes but I was the only one there. We used Thai baht to pay for everything for the whole time we were in Cambodia. Using  $US = 31 baht as a guide, we got touched up a tad on the exchange rates but nothing dramatic.

If you go there, try to go earlier than us as the heat is a killer. The temple opens at 0730 and closes at 1730. We arrived at the temple around 1130. There is little shade. It is a long walk from one end to the other. At a guess, the temple is about the same size as Phanom Rung in Buriram but it is an uphill walk with plenty of steps. Cold water can be purchased along the way. The views from the top over Cambodia are spectacular. We were in Cambodia for about 7 ½ hours.  Thai & some English was spoken at the border crossings, the taxi driver and at the temple.  Not many people were visiting the temple unlike Pha Mor E Daeng on the Thai side which on the several times I have been there had always been busy.

It is not a cheap “day out with the family” type thing. The main costs were 1000B re-entry visa, 1200B Cambodian visa plus 400B (100B each) “entry fee” to Cambodian Immigration, 3000B return taxi fare in an old Toyota Camry (air-conned and a decent driver), 1600B (400b each) for the temple entry & 1000B for 4WD trip up to the temple.  Food, drinks, tips, toilets on top of that.

It is well worth the visit if you can do it IMHO. I hope these comments may help others

Very useful road trip report, Getup. one question - was the road all blacktop or concrete all the way? I recall that roads in northern Cambodia other than major highways could get impassable in rainy season by dint of being clay/gravel. As you imply, cool season would probably be the ideal time for this venture anyway.

I was lucky enough to arrive to live in Sisaket before the 'temple troubles', but it would be good to try out the Camby side and we who live relatively close on the Thai side sometimes get asked about access to the temple itself, so good to have the full picture.

400 baht for non-Cambodians to enter the temple seems a bit steep (recognising that a steep vehicle ride is included), but maybe not when you compare it to the Thai national park entry fee applied to some much less interesting sights. ThB 3,000 for the round trip taxi sounds about right - used to be 50 bucks* one-way to get a 2 hr+ taxi ride to Siem Reap from Choam Sa Ngam (and a bit more than that when negotiating for the return journey).

Those who want to make the trip a bit more leisurely, I remember identifying a decent looking guest house in the middle of Anlong Veng (small Camby town 10 klicks south of the border) and I think there was a report from a lady falang teacher on assignment in the town several years ago that it was an ok place.

Don't forget to stop off in Choam Sa Ngam (village 1 klick south of border crossing) to pay disrespect to Pol Pot's ashes! 

*That info is now about 4 years out of date

10 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

Very useful road trip report, Getup. one question - was the road all blacktop or concrete all the way? 

Nearly. It was a sealed road all the way except a 2-3ks dirt road section about halfway into the trip.

Temple is absolutely worth seeing it. I was there a few years during a motorcycle trip TH - CAM - Laos.
If you have more time go to see Si Phan Don (4000 islands) on the Laos side.
Absolutely quiet and relaxing place.

Absolutely CLW ???????? The Mekong, moving south from Pakse down through Champasak, Ko Pan Don and on to the Camby border is a fantastically scenic part of SE Asia. Highlights for me are:

• the boat ride on the Mekong between Pakse and Champasak (assuming it is still operating)
  • the Khmer hillside temple at Champasak
  • Don Dhet and Don Khong islands including the several Mekong falls in that area

Archived