Did something change with mosquito situation ?

Lumbini

I am on high floor in condo overlooking beach in Jomtien and have kept balcony door open at night for months letting breeze in but now doing that room fills with a kind of invisible mosquitos at night and I awaken but all over ? I get bitten when I sleep and this never happens before and I never see the mosquitos so they must be tiny . Did something change why now are mosquitos in room when they were not before . I am on the 18th floor also but I guess that does not matter ? My friend in Bangkok also said her room now has mosquitos so did we just enter a mosquito season . It rained at night months before like last few days but no mosquitos then ?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Screens kill the clear view [emoji20]
It went from door open every night with no problem for months with beautiful breeze coming in to room filled with mosquitos every night now and this is just over last few days . Good idea about why the mosquitos are up so high .

I'm on the ground floor and have two electric vapourisers going 24/7. I also spray the room every few days with Baygon but still get a few bites. I also have a bottle with bleach in it open on my balcony and also one in the bathroom. I don't think the time of year has anything to do with it. But it's unusual for them to attack at such an altitude. They keep near floor level and a fan blowing at that height will make it impossible for them to navigate. They can't fly in a desired direction in any breeze that exceeds 1 mph.

Does anyone know of a cream or ointment that stops the itching. I take antihistermine tablets but they just make you sleep as do the so called non drowsy ones and the itching is still there when you wake up. I've tried toothpaste, onion, tiger balm and all the household grannies remedies without success.

It's not just the itching that should be a concern it's diseases like denge fever that can kill you if not treated. My friend caught it and it cost him five days in hospital and around 40,000 B.

3 hours ago, Lumbini said:

Screens kill the clear view

yes I can understand not wanting them, would also probably get full of dust in no time requiring constant cleaning :-(

you could try  having lots of lemon grass planted in pots on your balcony   also  those uv light with electric zapper gadgets work quite well

and of course the electric tennis racket thingies make a very satisfying  sound when the mozzies get zapped.

You could also try to find out who has the mosquito breading ground on their balcony and try to reason with them to remove any still water

guppies fish are very good at eating the mosquito larvae in larger pools of water they seem to be able to thrive without any looking after.

5 hours ago, yogi100 said:

Does anyone know of a cream or ointment that stops the itching.

I use a spray called 'After Bite' - it's a herbal spray made in Samui actually - works better than Tiger balm or anything else for me.

I get it from one of the local Pharmecy's here - here is the phone number of the producer 077-420535 (Palanda Group) - no website or email mentioned on the bottle

1 hour ago, captainhornblower said:

Rather than looking for invisible mosquitoes I would suspect it is more likely bed bugs or something along those lines. Mosquitoes rarely travel above a meter above the ground and they cannot fly in any reasonable level of wind so I would be very surprised if it was mosquitoes.

Another option could be fleas. Feral pigeons carry them.

No, I think they're mosquitoes. The last 10 days to 2 weeks, I don't go a night without bites now, whether on my 4th floor balcony or the interior. One night, I had 5 bites on my shoulder. This never happened before. I could go for weeks without a bite in the apartment. BTW, I am in Bangkok, but my Dark Side unit also proved to be a mosquito resort recently. Something's going on with the mosquito population.

Add: My comment was aimed at the earlier ones. But fleas carried by pigeons is an interesting theory since there are many pigeons around my older multi-tower complex.

If they are up to the 18th floor then they came in on a persons clothes or bags, I've never know a mosquito to fly up that high, of course maybe a strong wind lifted them up that high. Maybe you got bit by noseeume's on the beach and the bite only showed up later when you were in the condo. Any pictures of the bite's?

16 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

They go up in lifts to higher floors.

How do they know what button to press?

I had a 15th floor room and got them in nearly everyday, strong winds in Jomtien lift them and if you have more than one window open for a breeze they will blow in. 

8 hours ago, yogi100 said:

I'm on the ground floor and have two electric vapourisers going 24/7. I also spray the room every few days with Baygon but still get a few bites. I also have a bottle with bleach in it open on my balcony and also one in the bathroom. I don't think the time of year has anything to do with it. But it's unusual for them to attack at such an altitude. They keep near floor level and a fan blowing at that height will make it impossible for them to navigate. They can't fly in a desired direction in any breeze that exceeds 1 mph.

Does anyone know of a cream or ointment that stops the itching. I take antihistermine tablets but they just make you sleep as do the so called non drowsy ones and the itching is still there when you wake up. I've tried toothpaste, onion, tiger balm and all the household grannies remedies without success.

It's not just the itching that should be a concern it's diseases like denge fever that can kill you if not treated. My friend caught it and it cost him five days in hospital and around 40,000 B.

My friend bought me Chines stuff- Golden Cup Balm. It works very well.

1 hour ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

But fleas carried by pigeons is an interesting theory since there are many pigeons around my older multi-tower complex.

Had to 'flea bomb' our apartment in the UAE some years back. Somebody on an adjacent floor was feeding the bloody things.

It only takes one lonely mosquito to do the trick.  I have Polysporin, anti-bacterial cream. (Ask in pharmacy for something similar or google). Works quite well to quieten the itch.

Best of all, spray citronella on your exposed skin and sleep near a fan and wear socks and long pajama bottoms, plus a tee-shirt.  

4 minutes ago, RealisticRon said:

I agree with lots of fluids and rest but antibiotics are a waste of time and money with a virus such as dengue. It may help with any symptoms but not the actual virus itself.

Probably so but that was the standard Bum.... Hospital treatment twelve years ago, all three very expensive weeks of it.

Invisible mosquitoes?  More likely to be nats or midges.  Once there in they can breed in your room try fumigation and buy a good hoover  the dyson type and use it on your mattress. As for screens kill the view not so we have door screens on house doors still have great views over garden and beyond.

15 hours ago, yogi100 said:

Does anyone know of a cream or ointment that stops the itching. 

Roll on deodorant works like a charm,  stops my itching very quickly,  usually withing 2 minutes. 

I use the Nivea one,  they make a tiny one that is easy to carry if they really like you. 

Archived