Did something change with mosquito situation ?

Lumbini

Just gonna put this out there,  is there any blood on your sheets from the bites? 

If so,  and because of  the invisible comment,  it might be bed bugs,  you can't see them unless you get lucky, and you won't feel the bite because their saliva has an anesthetic. 

So you wake up thinking mossies  have got you. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, buzz said:

I use a spray called 'After Bite' - it's a herbal spray made in Samui actually - works better than Tiger balm or anything else for me.

I get it from one of the local Pharmecy's here - here is the phone number of the producer 077-420535 (Palanda Group) - no website or email mentioned on the bottle

I get that in the states, basically Ammonia, I'm sure if you sprayed winded on ur skin same relief 

1 minute ago, Panda13 said:

or crabs...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Crabs go for the crutch and live and breed there. Mosquitoes go for bony areas like knees, hands and ankles that provide an anvil to assist in the penetration of the skin then suck up you blood and scarper.

Thanks to everyone for the tips about ointments etc. I'll be looking into it today.

unlikely Mosquitoes, but leaving doors /  windows open with no screens

will let stuff in no matter how high up  you are.

More likely,  bugs of some sort,   come in one your cloths or on a towel or

in a bag of shopping. or just come in with you,    when you opened your door.

change your bedding ,  vacuum the place. give a spray of

one of the kill all bug sprays from Big-C or Lotus.

If you must have the doors open,   point a fan at the open door or window,  it may help, keep stuff out. :jap:

I saw one when I was in shower flying so I looked around and noticed water standing where I keep mop in corner near washing machine and took the mop and bucket out to dry . When I got back there another one flew out . I like the idea about cup of bleach on balcony and bathroom . Very interesting all the comments thanks I really loved not having air conditioner on with balcony door open at night as the breeze coming off the ocean when I sleep made this part of living on beach really one of the best parts but waking up with multiple bites kind of spoiled things . Interesting also that even one in the room could bite many times .

18 hours ago, captainhornblower said:

Rather than looking for invisible mosquitoes I would suspect it is more likely bed bugs or something along those lines. Mosquitoes rarely travel above a meter above the ground and they cannot fly in any reasonable level of wind so I would be very surprised if it was mosquitoes.

Nonsense, i get mosquitos on 28, not many but they are there.

Not to dismiss bedbugs, but they would have to come from somewhere, and unless you have spent some time sleeping in places other than home and brought some with you, its unlikely.

4 minutes ago, Lumbini said:

I saw one when I was in shower flying so I looked around and noticed water standing where I keep mop in corner near washing machine and took the mop and bucket out to dry . When I got back there another one flew out . I like the idea about cup of bleach on balcony and bathroom . Very interesting all the comments thanks I really loved not having air conditioner on with balcony door open at night as the breeze coming off the ocean when I sleep made this part of living on beach really one of the best parts but waking up with multiple bites kind of spoiled things . Interesting also that even one in the room could bite many times .

I just keep bedroom door closed at all times. Old habit from living in a house for years surrounded by lush gardens, with a banana feild next door.

I cannot believe that anybody living in a country that has Mosquitoes and midges doesn't know of the age old potion to stop the itching more or less immediately after a bite! Guys, forget all the potions of sprays etc. The simple remedy to take away the itching is Toothpaste. All Toothpastes work as some contain Fluoride and some Fluorine. The best by far is Colgate as it's high in Fluoride. Another good one is 'Pearl Drops' toothpaste but I don't think it's available here. Any toothpaste with Fluoride is good. The higher the Fluoride content the better. Just squeeze a bit on your fingertip and rub it in. Within a couple of minutes the itching will be gone and the lump recedes quickly too.t's an old trick going back to and before the Vietnam war.

9 minutes ago, Lumbini said:

And we all know its only the females that bit us :jap:

34 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

Nonsense, i get mosquitos on 28, not many but they are there.

Not to dismiss bedbugs, but they would have to come from somewhere, and unless you have spent some time sleeping in places other than home and brought some with you, its unlikely.

I agree on the height,  I used to live in the 26th floor,  and on still days/evenings,  they would find their way in. 

Re bedbugs,  the #1 way for them to find their way into your home is falling off a bird. 

I used to own a pest control company ;-) 

34 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

I cannot believe that anybody living in a country that has Mosquitoes and midges doesn't know of the age old potion to stop the itching more or less immediately after a bite! Guys, forget all the potions of sprays etc. The simple remedy to take away the itching is Toothpaste. All Toothpastes work as some contain Fluoride and some Fluorine. The best by far is Colgate as it's high in Fluoride. Another good one is 'Pearl Drops' toothpaste but I don't think it's available here. Any toothpaste with Fluoride is good. The higher the Fluoride content the better. Just squeeze a bit on your fingertip and rub it in. Within a couple of minutes the itching will be gone and the lump recedes quickly too.t's an old trick going back to and before the Vietnam war.

Roll on deodorant is faster acting  and doesn't leave what's dabs on you or necessiate washing your finger after. . 

25 minutes ago, Steiner said:

I agree on the height,  I used to live in the 26th floor,  and on still days/evenings,  they would find their way in. 

Re bedbugs,  the #1 way for them to find their way into your home is falling off a bird. 

I used to own a pest control company ;-) 

That is insane, a bird. Wow.

I guess they will have to undress in the hall in future.

15 hours ago, chiang mai said:

Rehydration and intravenous antibiotics works in 98%+ cases.

Dengue is viral. 

Antibiotics are not effective against viruses. 

All that acheives is to diminish the efficacy of the anti biotic should you genuinely require one at a later date..

10 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

That is insane, a bird. Wow.

I guess they will have to undress in the hall in future.

Ba Dum Tssss...

Seriously though they drop off birds that come to sit on the balcony rails, then make their way inside the property, or find their way down from the loft if it's a house and the birds are nesting there.
Maybe he wasn't watching that view alone and someone left him a little present ;-)

On 12/01/2017 at 9:22 AM, yogi100 said:

I'm on the ground floor and have two electric vapourisers going 24/7. I also spray the room every few days with Baygon but still get a few bites. I also have a bottle with bleach in it open on my balcony and also one in the bathroom. I don't think the time of year has anything to do with it. But it's unusual for them to attack at such an altitude. They keep near floor level and a fan blowing at that height will make it impossible for them to navigate. They can't fly in a desired direction in any breeze that exceeds 1 mph.

Does anyone know of a cream or ointment that stops the itching. I take antihistermine tablets but they just make you sleep as do the so called non drowsy ones and the itching is still there when you wake up. I've tried toothpaste, onion, tiger balm and all the household grannies remedies without success.

It's not just the itching that should be a concern it's diseases like denge fever that can kill you if not treated. My friend caught it and it cost him five days in hospital and around 40,000 B.

If they r so small u  cannot see then r they mosquitoes? Also I find that mossy bites mostly stop itching after about 30 mins. The exception to this rule is at the beach if u r bitten at sunset or after. They' re itch intensifies over a few days and lasts about a week. I was told that these r sandflies not mossys. Not investigated further as I dont live at the beach. So maybe some other insect like this is somehow reaching your room. If so u have no fear of disease.

2 hours ago, HooHaa said:

Dengue is viral. 

Antibiotics are not effective against viruses. 

All that acheives is to diminish the efficacy of the anti biotic should you genuinely require one at a later date..

I was told the reason why larger hospitals often treat potential Dengue patients with antibiotics as well as rehydration is because of the uncertainty sometimes in confirming Dengue quickly enough and the the chance that it may instead be Leptospirosis. The application of antibiotics allows treatment to start sooner without confirmation of what the condition is.

On 1/12/2017 at 9:22 AM, yogi100 said:

I'm on the ground floor and have two electric vapourisers going 24/7. I also spray the room every few days with Baygon but still get a few bites. I also have a bottle with bleach in it open on my balcony and also one in the bathroom. I don't think the time of year has anything to do with it. But it's unusual for them to attack at such an altitude. They keep near floor level and a fan blowing at that height will make it impossible for them to navigate. They can't fly in a desired direction in any breeze that exceeds 1 mph.

Does anyone know of a cream or ointment that stops the itching. I take antihistermine tablets but they just make you sleep as do the so called non drowsy ones and the itching is still there when you wake up. I've tried toothpaste, onion, tiger balm and all the household grannies remedies without success.

It's not just the itching that should be a concern it's diseases like denge fever that can kill you if not treated. My friend caught it and it cost him five days in hospital and around 40,000 B.

I have heard the best repellent is Off, but to stop the itch, try rubbing a slice of lemon on the bite, I have also heard touching a hot spoon to the bite will also will relieve the itch. 

Instead of a hot spoon I would use a product like bite away (google it). I have one and it's very good and much safer then a hot spoon. Not sure if you can get it in Thailand thought, but you can find it on Amazon for example.

If it really gets bad. Check for any standing water breeding ground
Mosquito net: If you can get it soaked in permethrium. Spray the room with insect killer. Spray yourself with a deet based repellant. High speed fans. UV insect killer.
If anything gets through that antihistamine cream

Sent from my Grand using Tapatalk

They like foliage, and hide in low dark moist places. Mosquitos are attracted to CO2, and other body pheromones. Some people emit more of these than others and get bitten more often, and quicker. My friend is one of these types, and I just have to stand beside him, and the mosquitos ignore me, and beeline directly to his skin. 

As such, electronic zappers using light or UV attractants only work if a mosquito randomly flies into one. Don't waste your money. The tennis racquet wand zapper ones work well as an offensive device to clear a room before going to sleep. Agitate and wave them around clothing, towels, and darker places they hide to get them airborne then sweep the room for 5 minutes before going to bed. They are of a much smaller type than the large North American ones, and their flight pattern makes them difficult to anticipate and kill by hand while in flight,. Their tiny size means you don't get that satisfying crunch.

Permethrin sprays work well on mosquitos and ants. It is a kills on contact spray, with residual effects on surfaces the bugs touch. Spray around the room, close the door, then leave it to do its work.

For skin repellants, use anything with DEET. Spray, lotion, or oil. The higher the concentration, the longer it lasts. 8% 3 hours, 95% 8 hours. Herbal, organic or electronic sound repellants are useless.

In terms of reducing the itch from a bite, an antihistamine pill might help, however heat applied directly to the skin bite spot as soon as possible for a few seconds helps destroy the toxins there that are causing the itch. There are battery powered ones available that deliver a measured amount of heat to the spot for a few seconds. Relief is instant. Also applying a product like 'After Bite' which I know in Canada is just ammonia in a pen shaped dabber applicator, is also very effective. 

Mosquitos are most active and airborne in the evening and night. Keep windows and doors closed as much as possible during these times, or use screens.  Eliminate any standing water you can: rooftop puddles, plant pots, buckets, bottles, eavestroughs, etc. Living life directly in the windspeed required to exceed the flight speed of a mosquito, is not a comfortable proposition, unless you are one that can fall asleep on a motorbike or in a wind tunnel.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always had problems with mossies as I'm allergic to their bites although after a few weeks in the LOS I develop a degree of immunity to them but still get the odd bite that itches for days especially on my hands and ankles.

I've just bought some Clinivate-N. It's a cream that seems to have done the trick, touch wood! And it was just 40 baht from a chemist in Soi Diana in Pattaya.

• 11 months later...
On 12/01/2017 at 5:26 PM, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

No, I think they're mosquitoes. The last 10 days to 2 weeks, I don't go a night without bites now, whether on my 4th floor balcony or the interior. One night, I had 5 bites on my shoulder. This never happened before. I could go for weeks without a bite in the apartment. BTW, I am in Bangkok, but my Dark Side unit also proved to be a mosquito resort recently. Something's going on with the mosquito population.

Add: My comment was aimed at the earlier ones. But fleas carried by pigeons is an interesting theory since there are many pigeons around my older multi-tower complex.

IMG_7603.JPG

IMG_7604.JPG

IMG_7605.JPG

IMG_7606.JPG

1 minute ago, JeffGroves said:

IMG_7603.JPG

IMG_7604.JPG

IMG_7605.JPG

IMG_7606.JPG

Do your bites look like this ? if you look close you notice the brown ones are from 7 or 8 yrs ago and the red ones just happened last night. I am sure they are mosquito bites from when i went on balcony for a smoke. you see them you dont here them and you dont feel them, there not itchy or soar at all.

Archived