UK Visitor visa, original documents?

Am in the process of applying for second visitor visa for my wife. Having downloaded the application and checklist it asks for ORIGINAL documents . I know her passport has to be enclosed and we have had the following supporting documents  copied and translated, the Tabbien baan ,

House ownership papers and our marriage certificate. I have also copied my passports showing our trips together and my status of Thai living.

Do we have to enclose the original documents or just give sight of them?

My reason for asking is that the last time we applied for a visa some documents were not returned to us and this caused us difficulty in getting them replaced and we are reluctant to enclose the house papers and the house book.

Many thanks for any help from someone who has had recent experience

WW.

Whilst I understand your reluctance, as you say, the UKVI do state that the original documents must be supplied, I'm not sure that there is any leeway.

I believe that some countries allow the staff at the Visa Application Centres fro some consulates are allowed to confirm that any copies that are submitted are indeed true copies and that they have seen the originals, I don't think that the UKVI allow this - but I could be wrong, it would make eminent sense if they did.

Maybe another member will be able to give details of a positive experience. 

• Like 1

The supporting documents guide does say

All documents must be originals and not photocopies.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that this is not strictly applied, though.

For example, the ECOs in Bangkok are aware that foreigners in Thailand must have their passport to hand (officially on their person) at all times, so they will accept a self certified copy of your passport.

The guidance used to say that if you want to ensure the return of original documents you should include copies. So I'd suggest that.

• Like 1

My reason for asking is that the last time we applied for a visa some documents were not returned to us and this caused us difficulty in getting them replaced and we are reluctant to enclose the house papers and the house book.

Did you supply copies last time? Maybe they kept the originals because you didn't? Just a thought.

I just had a look at the Gov website and there is nothing to say that you need to supply originals. You are only the second person I have heard of where paperwork wasn't returned. I had a look at what we supplied for my wife's two visit visas in 2015 and we sent originals and copies of her passport, tabian baan and divorce papers along with the translations. A copy was made of her ID card and she was asked to sign it at VFS after they had taken a look at the original. Copies only of my passport and visa pages.

23 hours ago, rasg said:

Did you supply copies last time? Maybe they kept the originals because you didn't? Just a thought.

I just had a look at the Gov website and there is nothing to say that you need to supply originals. You are only the second person I have heard of where paperwork wasn't returned. I had a look at what we supplied for my wife's two visit visas in 2015 and we sent originals and copies of her passport, tabian baan and divorce papers along with the translations. A copy was made of her ID card and she was asked to sign it at VFS after they had taken a look at the original. Copies only of my passport and visa pages.

I supplied copies and originals, we asked for originals to be returned, one birth cert and our translated marriage papers, certified by the mfa ,were not returned. Look again on the gov website, it states originals and nothing about them being retuned by request. 

By the way first application was 12 months ago , jan 2016, things have changed since then.

I would write to them and ask for them to be returned if they kept the originals. Especially a birth certificate.

When my wife applied for FLR here in the UK, we had to supply her son's original birth certificate, even though he wasn't traveling to the UK with us.

It was a total pain getting the original sent for Thailand because nobody in her family seemed to realise that we needed it urgently. Having to get a copy is an even bigger pain.

After four visas of various flavours, all of the documents we supplied were returned.

As I said above

On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 10:49 AM, 7by7 said:

The guidance used to say that if you want to ensure the return of original documents you should include copies. So I'd suggest that.

However, having checked I see that Standard visitor visa; 3. Documents you must provide now says

Any original documents you submit as part of your application will be sent back to you.

No idea when that changed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 7by7 said:

As I said above

However, having checked I see that Standard visitor visa; 3. Documents you must provide now says

No idea when that changed.

Have noticed a few changes since the last application, 12 months ago, most interesting one was that there was only english in the drop down menu for choosing language for any communication.