Three Thai airports may not meet international safety inspection standards

webfact

Three Thai airports may not meet international safety inspection standards

3p.jpg

Picture: Thairath

BANGKOK: -- Three large provincial Thai airports face problems after it was revealed that they may not meet international standards for security.

If the airports fail a mid year inspection by international aviation authorities they could be closed to international travel both incoming and outgoing.

The airports concerned are Krabi, Udon Thani and Surat Thani.

The Universal Security Audit Program is due to inspect 11 Thai airports in June and July of this year. USAP monitors member state's security performance, reports Thairath.

Without their rubber stamp international flights cannot land or depart from an airport.

Thai government officials are concerned that the installation of new X-ray machines to detect weapons at the three airports will not be fully operational. They said the machines will only be fully functional by October.

Somsak Hommuang of the communications ministry has ordered the creation of a committee to oversee the airports' efforts to comply with international regulations.

Thai Rath reported that the Thai Airport Authority that oversees all 11 airports due to be inspected were "ready but concerned".

The airports concerned may have to prove their systems will be in place without them actually being ready at the time of the mid year inspection.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-01-12

Well they could have seen that one coming don't they?

If it's the law to have those scanners than why don't they have them yet?  And if they have them how hard can it be to turn them on and connect a conveyer belt to them? 

Just buy/borrough them from another airport somewhere...

Somsak Hommuang of the communications ministry has ordered the creation of a committee

Just what is needed another ***** committee, what a bunch of muppets  :bah:  Pull your fingers out, you have 6 months for heavens sake !

typical of Thailand businesses, they know they have to have certain items/technology/licences to make them operational/legal/ abiding by the law but put profits first and put these items on hold for as long as possible to pocket more money then when they are caught out they complain and whinge. These machines should have been installed a long time ago to comply with the requirements but management was too busy pocketing all the profits, just make them a no go for any international flights but now that they have told everyone that they dont have the correct xray machines to detect weapons etc will we see a new problem emerge.....

20 minutes ago, fruitman said:

If it's the law to have those scanners than why don't they have them yet?  And if they have them how hard can it be to turn them on and connect a conveyer belt to them? 

Small correction: it's not the law. But I agree that they knew a long time about this, it's nothing new. Plus they have half a year to order and install a handful of machines, can't be that hard...

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The airports concerned may have to prove their systems will be in place without them actually being ready at the time of the mid year inspection.

may as well plant a few photos of them in the airport instead....What is the point of having them in place if they are not operational....:crazy:

Also, as a previous poster commented.....what a great piece of intel served on a plate to the terrorists....:clap2:

1 hour ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

Thai government officials are concerned that the installation of new X-ray machines to detect weapons at the three airports will not be fully operational. They said the machines will only be fully functional by October.

What a great tip to all terrorists!

My homecountry has many tv-reporters who like to check such things out in person (loaded with hidden camera's).

They already did some airports and broadcasted it on national tv.

They even go a step further and just try to avoid the whole security by taking backdoors and using stupid excuses to get entrance to them. 

I've seen them planting a huge "bomb" inside a plane which was parked at the gate and after that they went to ask the management how on earth it was possible they could do that with so much security.

Of course a few days later the whole securitysystem was changed and upgraded.

Would be fun to see them in Thailand, they already have been here to show some scams which have been on national tv already.

Yes you're right, how can they say such things in public...it's an open invitation for any terrorist. It shows again the lack of safety by thai government and officials.

To be sure i understand it right, it means that today i can take an international flight from named airports and they don't have the scanner to look through/in my suitcase right? I have never in my life been on an airport without the scanners and i've flown a lot, worldwide.

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

what is the point? they will not be maintained properly and the people operating the devices will not be properly trained.

I am sure the alarm will be going off and everyone waved through. Just like at the malls and BTS.

Be careful with that assumption. Last year October we traveled to Singapore and as normal we took our power banks with. At Swampy on the way to Singapore I noticed that one of our power banks are larger than allowed but kept quiet, we went through without a question being asked. On the return from Singapore the same thing happened no question asked. Later in the year we flew Maehongson to Chiangmai and at security they actually checked the power banks for size and caught us out. The guy was however friendly enough to keep the device until we returned 3 days later. So at a very small airport they knew their rules and they did their job while at 2 world renowned airports they failed. Your argument is however flawed at another level, as these international inspections take on a regular basis and thus the people must be trained (must have an operators certificate issued by an outside/neutral entity) and the equipment must work.

3 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

What a great tip to all terrorists!

Not a surprise when you are dealing with people that have the mind of a child.

4 hours ago, fruitman said:

Its all about the money honey the cash the moola the stuff that governments like to take in but hate to part with. Toys for boys we have the bahts. Apart from that it always seems to come down to the last minute to make things happen here. Where are all these billions of bahts the government is touting for infrastructure spending?? Makes one wonder about their intent. 

21 minutes ago, cruisemonkey said:

Is there anything in Thailand that meets any standards?

Yes the ladies. After much sampling and pursuing and perusing I have come to the conclusion that Thai ladies are of a higher standard than their Western counter parts. This is only my male opinion and not to misconstrued as a general opinion. Are there many foreign ladies on this site??

Sometimes the delaying of expensive important projects until the last minute by the Thai Government amazes me, Those in charge seem to want to hold on to the moneys until the last second to pay for any project that has to be done and could have been completed months ago at less cost.Of course paying for a family members new Mercedes (with the same governments money)there will be no delay.

there is no point in talking about more tourists arrival until the house is in order.

the safety and security of all travellers should never be compromised. better to shut down the airports concerned rather than risk exposing lives to potential danger.

I'll be quite happy if Udon Thani airport fails to meet the requisite standards for operating international flights. I live in the airport's flight path and at the moment, there isn't a noise problem but if it does eventually live up to its name of Udon Thani International airport, then I could find myself living in the Isaan version of Hounslow. 

I'll be quite happy if Udon Thani airport fails to meet the requisite standards for operating international flights. I live in the airport's flight path and at the moment, there isn't a noise problem but if it does eventually live up to its name of Udon Thani International airport, then I could find myself living in the Isaan version of Hounslow. 

quote:

I'm not quite sure that's how it works?
I'm sure the security equipment that's required for the inspection has to be not only "in place" but "plugged in" and working?

Or is this another Thainess approach to things, we'll do it in our own time-frame.
The equipment is here on-site, what more do you want ?

3 hours ago, fruitman said:

My homecountry has many tv-reporters who like to check such things out in person (loaded with hidden camera's).

They already did some airports and broadcasted it on national tv.

They even go a step further and just try to avoid the whole security by taking backdoors and using stupid excuses to get entrance to them. 

I've seen them planting a huge "bomb" inside a plane which was parked at the gate and after that they went to ask the management how on earth it was possible they could do that with so much security.

Of course a few days later the whole securitysystem was changed and upgraded.

Would be fun to see them in Thailand, they already have been here to show some scams which have been on national tv already.

Yes you're right, how can they say such things in public...it's an open invitation for any terrorist. It shows again the lack of safety by thai government and officials.

To be sure i understand it right, it means that today i can take an international flight from named airports and they don't have the scanner to look through/in my suitcase right? I have never in my life been on an airport without the scanners and i've flown a lot, worldwide.

Very True, if you are referring to the UK, they are also using "Fox in Charge of the Henhouse" system all security staff at LHR term 2 and 3 are manned completely by moslem staff, crazy!

Archived