Samet bungalows to be torn down by next month - state coffers up after corrupt officials cleared out

webfact

Samet bungalows to be torn down by next month - state coffers up after corrupt officials cleared out

3p.jpg

Picture: Thairath

KOH SAMET: -- The national park chief has said that some 56 bungalows on Koh Samet in 13 resorts will be torn down by February 19th.

Many other cases of encroachment are expected to be resolved by next month as well.

Meanwhile following a clear out of corrupt park officials in September of last year the state coffers have been filling up with park fees, reports Thairath.

Money collected in the last three and a half months was the same as collected in the whole of last year.

The Koh Samet park chief, his deputy, many civil servants and other workers were given their marching orders in September. A total of 79 corrupt officials and employees were cleared out of the island amid a crackdown that was the first of its kind for the popular holiday destination.

National Parks chief Nathaphon Ratanaphan said after meetings and an inspection visit yesterday that the process of clearing up Samet was on track.

He said that thirteen operators had agreed to pull down 56 bungalows that were agreed to have encroached. The operators will pull them down themselves and if this is not done by the 19th of February court proceedings will start.

The list of operators meant that most were required to pull down just a few of their buildings. The most of any one operator was seven bungalows.

There are also seven more resorts where agreement has not been reached with the owners to remove bungalows. The operators say they were established before pertinent regulations came into force.

Nathaphon said that these disputes are expected to be resolved by February 19th also. This group involves at least seven more resorts.

In future there will only be one arrival and departure port on the island where park fees will be collected though a structure will be

constructed at the main hub to ease the pressure during busy periods of tourist arrivals.

Six other embarkation points on the island have been or are in the process of being scrapped.

Figures for the collection of park fees since the corrupt officials were cleared out were as follows: October: 4.8 million baht,  November: 5.5 million, December: 8.8 million.

The total including this month so far since October is now 22 million baht.

This is the same as that which was collected for the whole of 2016.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-01-13

Koh Samet was the first island I visited, five years ago and I was confused to see that although money was collected for entry, there were resorts being built everywhere right up to and onto the beach of this national park. I enjoyed my first tropical island but never went back as I don't like concrete jungles which the place has doubtless become in the meantime. 

56 illegal resorts and hotels, and parasailing ordered to leave Ko Samet

805_Samed.jpg

KOH SAMET: -- The Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation has now set ultimatum for 56 resorts and hotels encroaching on national park on Ko Samet to leave the places.

The deadline for owners of these places were given until February 19 to demolish all the constructions built illegally on the beach in Khao Laem Ya-Ko Samet national park after a meeting yesterday.

Owners and business operators of the 56 resorts and hotels were summoned for the meeting by park authorities.

At the meeting they were told to leave and demolish all the buildings encroached on the beaches in Ko Samet.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/56-illegal-resorts-hotels-parasailing-ordered-leave-ko-samet/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-01-13

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The total including this month so far since October is now 22 million baht.

This is the same as that which was collected for the whole of 2016.

Boy these guys were really super scammers or else the checks and balances in the system were out of order. I wonder how long this will last??

10 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Dear BIB try this country wide and the coffers will be filled to over flowing. 

Amazing that there appeared to be no book-keeping or auditing.

I suppose they were 'let go' and no chance of recovering stolen money.

On 1/13/2017 at 3:18 PM, timewilltell said:

They have got to publicly prosecute those involve and make sure the whole of Thailand sees and gets the message.  This is what is desperately wanted - for people to see corruption doesn't pay.  Come on Thailand step up to the plate and make your country great not the <deleted> backwards corrupt place it is.  Everyone will be richer as a result.

Were it not for the Computer Crime Act 2007 I would like this......

Some people seem to think it is a big change. The TBPS report is, i believe erroneous and the first report more accurate. Whole resorts are not being requested to leave. Just some bungalows in the wrong place being torn down. The measures are in fact very minor so far. 

2 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

I wa cnnder if they went after the corrupt officials for lost revenues?

Noble thought, but probably Impossible to prove , unless undercover staff were counting last year's visitors, or there are whistleblowers.  That numbers had multiplied after removal of suspected corriupt staff wouldn't qualify as proof In a court............ unfortunately.

U

50 minutes ago, Uncle Bob said:

About time, I was there in 2000, it was already a rubbish dump then, never went back but I can imagine how the place must look nowadays. National Park, my #ss!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. In your case not so much so. 2000 is a long time back many changes for the ????? could have taken place since then. Tourist numbers are up every year as is tourist income. I am sure they are pouring money in to enhance the place?

I have been visiting this island since 1993 but not since the oil spill. It's amazing they waited so long. I fear as always, this will merely suck out all the atmosphere and pump in the ambiance even further. 

LED fire shows... means what?... It's not a fire show you idiots. Why do people like fire shows.. the very essence of them is that they are dangerous. 

Stupid government. Takes Euro IV buses off the streets of Bangkok and reinstates Euro II, pollutes the hell out of everywhere.... oh but you can't use fire on the beach. Are they stopping plastic bags in shops? They kill more marine life than anything. 

Generals should stick to  being called on as public servants should the Thai army ever be required to actually fight in any war. 

They didn't fight the constant invasion from China from 400 years ago. Had a little skirmish and bribed France off, kissed Britain's ass, bent over for Japan big time during WWII.... 

Now they think they are environmentalists?

45 minutes ago, zorro1 said:

I absolutely love this regime.. They don't fluck around!
OUTSANDING work

Maybe just tinkering around the edges?    It's what I call "the illusion of progress", people see pi$$y things being done, and assume they will put a broom through the whole place, but often that's not what happens.

Having said that, I hope they do clean up the entire country, not just in a physical sense, rubbish, etc.

June last year spent ten shitty days on Samed Cabana Resort . Nice spot visually but a totally screwed up environment. 

Got hit by national park fees guy, it became a negotiation in front on crowded from the ferry. All sort of different fees. I had read if you entered to stay at the resort via the ferry it was not leveraged but hey, you just just get tired and pay.

The resort was a series of bungalows. Simple enough. We were on the beach so had the setting. The dramas came with rain and the over capacity sewerage pond one row behind the beach bungalows. Seriously. It  flooded underneath six bungalows. There was fecal matter everywhere. Disgraceful. 

You can see the pond and how it naturally drains directly under one bunglow here. They pump the overflow too through that channel. But when it rains it is uncontrollable and floods indiscriminately underneath the floorboards of those beachfront bungalows as that channel is submerged. 

Totally screwed. And every resort on that small beach is similarly challenged. 

You might be able to see the pool in the third photo next to the sewerage pond one row back formthe beach bungalows. 

20160728_172910.jpg

20160728_173118.jpg

20160728_172859.jpg

20160728_172828.jpg

2 minutes ago, Polonius said:

I have been visiting this island since 1993 but not since the oil spill. It's amazing they waited so long. I fear as always, this will merely suck out all the atmosphere and pump in the ambiance even further. 

LED fire shows... means what?... It's not a fire show you idiots. Why do people like fire shows.. the very essence of them is that they are dangerous. 

Stupid government. Takes Euro IV buses off the streets of Bangkok and reinstates Euro II, pollutes the hell out of everywhere.... oh but you can't use fire on the beach. Are they stopping plastic bags in shops? They kill more marine life than anything. 

Generals should stick to  being called on as public servants should the Thai army ever be required to actually fight in any war. 

They didn't fight the constant invasion from China from 400 years ago. Had a little skirmish and bribed France off, kissed Britain's ass, bent over for Japan big time during WWII.... 

Now they think they are environmentalists?

Mate, read the forum rules.   You're going to make it difficult for yourself posting in those terms, and with three posts to your credit, you will attract the moderators' attention.

Better late than never. I can say without doubt a democratically elected government as is proved by history would be doing NOTHING! leave the regime another 5 years and than we can go backwards again.. Until the next coup.

Maybe just tinkering around the edges?    It's what I call "the illusion of progress", people see pi$$y things being done, and assume they will put a broom through the whole place, but often that's not what happens.

Having said that, I hope they do clean up the entire country, not just in a physical sense, rubbish, etc.

Better late than never. I can say without doubt a democratically elected government as is proved by history would be doing NOTHING! leave the regime another 5 years and than we can go backwards again.. Until the next coup.

Koh Samet was the first island I ever went to in Thailand, as part of my honeymoon in 1996.  It was pretty much idyllic then, so I'm glad I've never revisited and seen it destroyed.  Excellent news that they are trying to clear it up, not sure I'll be holding my breath until they do!

Archived