Bacon

KC 71

after 5 years iv never once found even a half decent piece of bacon ,anywhere in los , its all crap . and what really s , ,ts me is the way they all cut it so thin ,30 seconds in a hot pan and its shrunk to less than half its size .  :sad:

3 hours ago, sirmud63 said:

after 5 years iv never once found even a half decent piece of bacon ,anywhere in los , its all crap . and what really s , ,ts me is the way they all cut it so thin ,30 seconds in a hot pan and its shrunk to less than half its size .  :sad:

This cutting it paper thin was one of my bug bears but on a trip to foodland in Ramintra a couple of weeks ago I asked them if they could cut it thicker and the girl behind the counter came back and said if I buy this large uncut piece she will slice it as I want it, got about 7 decent rashers as opposed to 20 or 30 paper thin ones and I was a happy man.

There are also companies out there that import meat from oz and nz and I believe you can get decent cuts of meat from them if a tad expensive.

3 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

The worst is TGM bacon, not only does it shrink to a third of the size (due to water injections), it also has a horrible, un-bacony smell once cooked.

The only good bacon I've had is from small, foreign owned businesses that do their own butchery.

Delish (Fisherman's Way) used to have good bacon, not sure if they still do.

It doesn't improve the quality of the bacon you're buying, but if you don't want your streaky bacon to shrink and shrivel up you should place it into your frying pan when the pan is cold. A tablespoon of water added to the pan gets a nice result also.

Personally, I'm a big fan of cooking bacon in the oven - laid out on a baking tray with a tablespoon of water and away you go... takes about 30 mins which gives you plenty of time to deal with any other prepping you have to do.

2 hours ago, jimmybkk said:

It doesn't improve the quality of the bacon you're buying, but if you don't want your streaky bacon to shrink and shrivel up you should place it into your frying pan when the pan is cold. A tablespoon of water added to the pan gets a nice result also.

Personally, I'm a big fan of cooking bacon in the oven - laid out on a baking tray with a tablespoon of water and away you go... takes about 30 mins which gives you plenty of time to deal with any other prepping you have to do.

when you do it in the oven like that ,try a lite sprinkle of brown sugar over it . simply awsome .

I quite often make my own bacon.

I either use a good bit of belly of pork or part of whole hind leg of pork and dry cure it with honey and Coleman's mustard powder.

The sad news is that I cannot cut razor thin strips so it is thick sliced.

5 hours ago, billd766 said:

I either use a good bit of belly of pork or part of whole hind leg of pork and dry cure it with honey and Coleman's mustard powder.

I think a really sharp knife is the key and put the bacon in the freezer for about 20mins, makes it very easy to carve thin rashers.

Edited by vogie

2 hours ago, vogie said:

I think a really sharp knife is the key and put the bacon in the freezer for about 20mins, makes it very easy to carve thin rashers.

Good eyesight and good glasses help a lot too.

Luckily for me so far, when I slice bacon there are no fingers or thumb parts in there too.

17 hours ago, billd766 said:

I bought a small meat slicer from Lazada. Works great. I have a batch in curing with cinnamon right now. Will try the Coleman's mustard next. 

Is that Sukhumvit in Bangkok? Near what soi's please?

You can check on their website www.buntersfoodsbkk.com I'm nothing to do with the company just like their products. They'll deliver for you as well guaranteed you won't be dissapointed with the English back bacon and the Cumberland sausages even though they don't taste authentic Cumberland they are very nice.

Sent from my SM-P901 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

• 5 months later...