Land prices

KC 71

My wife says land prices here in the North are going up

She says its because of Southern floods.by the way ,how much is 1 rai of land here these days?

I don't know because our house was built on her Grandfathers land,so it was free.

Also she says it wouldn't be easy to sell our house because it is built on the Kings Mums land.

No problem,i have no intention on moving in my lifetime

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

KC - really depends on where in land is located.   Flippant, but jonw8uk is right.  IBN the Mae Suay valley, agricultural land ranges from 200,00 to 800,000 per rai.  Closer to the highway, some parcels will sell for over 1 Million Baht.  Right on the highway, your guess is as good as anyone's - one parcel in the Wiang Pa Pao valley just sold for 2.9 Million / Rai.  That's unserviced.

Just North of Chiang Rai city, two parcels not on but close to Highway 1 just sold for 9 Million each.  The parcels are slightly larger, but.........

SO, jonw8uk , you were right.

I should add that my step father has a 3 rai parcel for sale for 100.00 / rai.  No access though, other than a rickedy bridge for the river, and only 6 km from the nearest paved road.

9 minutes ago, Rotweiler said:

KC - really depends on where in land is located.   Flippant, but jonw8uk is right.  IBN the Mae Suay valley, agricultural land ranges from 200,00 to 800,000 per rai.  Closer to the highway, some parcels will sell for over 1 Million Baht.  Right on the highway, your guess is as good as anyone's - one parcel in the Wiang Pa Pao valley just sold for 2.9 Million / Rai.  That's unserviced.

Just North of Chiang Rai city, two parcels not on but close to Highway 1 just sold for 9 Million each.  The parcels are slightly larger, but.........

SO, jonw8uk , you were right.

I should add that my step father has a 3 rai parcel for sale for 100.00 / rai.  No access though, other than a rickedy bridge for the river, and only 6 km from the nearest paved road.

Flippant maybe :) it was very vague!

so downtown CM would exceed my estimate? 

There's definitely been a steady increase in land values in my term of residence.

Sometimes you will get an upward spike when  a few newcomers turn up and pay the first asking price, but there's still some nice land around at a reasonable cost.

Something on a hilltop in a valley would deal with any flooding,  the only water damage I've ever had is what came in through the roof after the earthquake.

It seems as if the Thai population in Chiang Rai Amphur Mueng is doubling about every 5 years. These are mostly young educated Thais moving here for a better quality of life and economic opportunities. Farang retirement population is about not much change. The new SEZ at Chiang Kong will change this a bit. The approval of the railroad is planned for this year. The new highway from Chiang Kong to Chiang Rai and Bangkok will make a difference. A new highway to Chiang Mai will be built pealing off this road at Amphur Phan. This will be a strait shot with 2 tunnels and does not come near the old road 118.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/17/2017 at 9:32 AM, DonaldBattles said:

It seems as if the Thai population in Chiang Rai Amphur Mueng is doubling about every 5 years. These are mostly young educated Thais moving here for a better quality of life and economic opportunities. Farang retirement population is about not much change. The new SEZ at Chiang Kong will change this a bit. The approval of the railroad is planned for this year. The new highway from Chiang Kong to Chiang Rai and Bangkok will make a difference. A new highway to Chiang Mai will be built pealing off this road at Amphur Phan. This will be a strait shot with 2 tunnels and does not come near the old road 118.

Hi Donald, in what way do you think it will change?  Where can I find info on this new road please?  

I think what your wife means is that the land does not have a chanote, so you cannot sell it for anything but farming. Certain deeds are not transferable either.  If the land is just rice paddy with a small house might only be worth 250k baht a rai. Really unless you are specific what the land is and where it is located you cannot get a real answer.

If the land has separate electricity and a clear boundary and fenced in, the land has been raised, with a decent built house, might be worth 2 million baht.

3 hours ago, ginglee said:

Hi Donald, in what way do you think it will change?  Where can I find info on this new road please?  

The Highway Department in town has maps of all of these roads. Notice how the new Ring Road is moving very fast.

Because of the segmentation of construction of the new ring road I predict it will take about 1.5 to 2 years to finish. This project along with the road from Chiang Khong was funded by Yingluck. It is on a yearly allocation in the budget. This year the government is looking at a deficit of 450 billion. They have sold bonds and are raising the aviation fuel tax to offset this deficit. The road from Ching Khong goes to Chiang Rai and then heads south with a branch off at Amphur Pan to Chiang Mai.This is independent of the Highway 1 and 118.  It then continues to Bangkok through Pitsanuluk  utilizing 85 tunnels. I do not guarantee this information. It comes second hand from the Highway Department. It depends on the current government to continue to provide yearly incremental funding. I think they will as it is badly needed. The Chiang Khong section is planned to run parallel to the rail road which will cross over at Phrae Amphur Den Chi to connect with the Chiang Mai Bangkok track.

I admit I don't know a lot about what is going on in Chiang Rai but in 16 years the only locally initiated projects that I have seen is to build expensive government office buildings and bridges. The roads out of town are always full of pot holes. When they do fill pot holes they use cold asphalt that will never stay. If they filled with cement it would stay. I noticed how each province has been given 1 billion Baht for road repairs. I sure don't see it except in town. They never stop tearing up the super highway in the central city areas.

I noticed how the governor was changed last year without any public notice. Strange.

Archived